PDA

View Full Version : Finally happy in Career Choice!

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone! I'd like to take a moment and introduce myself.... My name is Alyssa and I am from East Berlin, PA (York County). I have always enjoyed working outdoors from the time I was 10 when my dad had me working for him part time doing home remodeling and lawn care.

After many years doing accounting work because it came easy to me and it was almost a guarantee to pay the bills, I came to a realization that I was hating where my career path was going! I didn't want to do accounting! There was nothing satisfying at the end of the day and quite frankly I don't like the fact that I can gain 5 pounds in a matter of months from sitting on my butt all day! I missed those days end where you were dirty, tired, and muscles aching, came home and said "I put in a good day today"....

So with my college career path started and headed down a road to a Masters in Accounting & Finance and before I spent any more money on classes that would lead me to misery - I decided to change course and do the one thing I love - Lawn care and Landscaping.

It took a lot of soul searching and discussion to make sure this was the right decision. It was scary to think about leaving something I KNEW to pursue something I LOVED. Don't get me wrong, I know yard work, I have always dabbled in it on the side, but was always been red flagged by others when mentioning doing it professionally.

But, a conversation with my 13 year old daughter one day changed that..... She wants to be a Aquarium Director or maybe a Meteorologist.... I tell her she can be anything she wants to be.... I also advice her that she should not lose sight of those dreams and don't allow other people to tell you it's crazy or unreachable...... she then asks me why am I doing accounting and not something that I love more like "hard work"..... It was then I realized I wasn't going to end up like the many others out there - hating my job.

So with all that said.... I'm thankful to have found this web site and hope that I can find the advice and tips I need to get this career started. I have already taken the steps with obtaining all the licenses, registration and assistance in marketing that I will need to get started, so I am surely on my way. I put an offer in on a truck and hoping to hear from him soon. I already had all the equipment for my own personal use, and along with the great ideas that have been in my head for a long time now.

Wish me luck... Thanks for the support!
Alyssa ~

LouisianaLawnboy
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I hope you do well. Maybe you should get ur Masters so you can have a backup.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I hope you do well. Maybe you should get ur Masters so you can have a backup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just got off the phone with my advisor and that's what we've decided to do! Good call! I will just be incorporating the needed classes for the lawn care along with the finance classes. Plus, I'm only moonlighting my lawn care to start out with. I will continue to work for the accounting firm. During the off season, I will continue to do taxes. As an accountant, a lawn professional's "off season" is our "on season".....

LouisianaLawnboy
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Just got off the phone with my advisor and that's what we've decided to do! Good call! I will just be incorporating the needed classes for the lawn care along with the finance classes. Plus, I'm only moonlighting my lawn care to start out with. I will continue to work for the accounting firm. During the off season, I will continue to do taxes. As an accountant, a lawn professional's "off season" is our "on season".....

Its great that you will know "numbers". A lot of times a business fails not because they don't do good work, but because of poor management. If have any questions shoot me a PM
Posted via Mobile Device

exmark614
12-08-2009, 04:12 PM

That's what I love about both the industries! I'm in college to major in Accounting and plan to be a CPA and continue owning my landscape maintenance business. I love that accounting slows down in the summer, perfect for doing install work and weekly maintenance, and then when it slows down in the fall, accounting picks back up. What field are you in? I'm looking into going into managerial accounting/finance, lots of money to be made there, as well as landscape maintenance.

Louisiana how many posts do you need before you can send PM's?

LouisianaLawnboy
12-08-2009, 04:15 PM

I believe 10 posts and 10 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
That's what I love about both the industries! I'm in college to major in Accounting and plan to be a CPA and continue owning my landscape maintenance business. I love that accounting slows down in the summer, perfect for doing install work and weekly maintenance, and then when it slows down in the fall, accounting picks back up. What field are you in? I'm looking into going into managerial accounting/finance, lots of money to be made there, as well as landscape maintenance.

WOW! Some one else on the same track as me - I thought I was the only one.... *chuckel* My classes are going to be involved around the criminal financial field. With all the people trying to do wrong with other people's money, there has been a high demand in the Investigative Financial Field. If that would ever slow down, I will have my CPA as well and can take that anywhere.

Louisiana had a great point too with knowing how to do a great job, but not understanding the financial logistics of running a business.... everything will pay off and mesh together perfectly in the end.... My passion though is the lawn care... Wish I lived somewhere warm and sunny year round!

Thanks for the supportive reponses!

exmark614
12-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I believe 10 posts and 10 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh alright. Because I have more than 10 posts but haven't been on for more than 10 days.

exmark614
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
WOW! Some one else on the same track as me - I thought I was the only one.... *chuckel* My classes are going to be involved around the criminal financial field. With all the people trying to do wrong with other people's money, there has been a high demand in the Investigative Financial Field. If that would ever slow down, I will have my CPA as well and can take that anywhere.

Louisiana had a great point too with knowing how to do a great job, but not understanding the financial logistics of running a business.... everything will pay off and mesh together perfectly in the end.... My passion though is the lawn care... Wish I lived somewhere warm and sunny year round!

Thanks for the supportive reponses!

IFF, is that similar to auditing? Seems like it would be. That's another field I'd go into possibly. I'll be taking auditing classes later in school, but next semester I have my first college accounting class, it's the entry level one but man I'm really excited for it!! I tell people, yeah I'm majoring in accounting, they say, oh wow I'm sorry, my response to that is what? Are you kidding me? More room in the industry for me, as well as more money :D
I plan to get my CPA asap after graduation as well. Ideally I'd like to continue operating my landscape maintenance business and work as an auditor or for an accounting firm for a few years and then eventually leave whoever is employing me and open my own firm, either auditing or managerial, depending on whichever field I go into of course.

For a few years that will be a lot of work, managing my landscape maintenance business and working for a firm, and then opening my own firm and managing my landscape maintenance business and eventually hire employees to do most of the work so that I can just manage both companies as the CEO and lead the businesses in the correct direction. By that time I'll be able to be sitting on a cruise ship or my own yacht as all the other work gets done. :D

And as good as living down in the south sounds, it's not the best because the rates for are cheaper and in FL often their cuts are biweekly.

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE your enthusiasm! That's something we need more of in this world! I will be sure to keep tabs on your progress! *chuckle*

exmark614
12-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah not many of my friends want to start their own business. They want to work for someone else after college and make $50,000/year til they're like 30 and then make $65,000/year til retirement and working just 40 hrs a week. Screw that!! I want to be able to buy brand new duramaxs, powerstrokes, mercedes', bmw's, and before I'm 40 my goal is to own a ferrari.

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah not many of my friends want to start their own business. They want to work for someone else after college and make $50,000/year til they're like 30 and then make $65,000/year til retirement and working just 40 hrs a week. Screw that!! I want to be able to buy brand new duramaxs, powerstrokes, mercedes', bmw's, and before I'm 40 my goal is to own a ferrari.

lol - well I can appreciate the angle of your friends, but it's not for me.... I want the land, horses, and a place for my daughter to come home too and a place for me to retire too, land to hunt on, ect.....

I'm sure we will all reach our goals..... they are all just as important as the next one's.... :)

exmark614
12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
lol - well I can appreciate the angle of your friends, but it's not for me.... I want the land, horses, and a place for my daughter to come home too and a place for me to retire too, land to hunt on, ect.....

I'm sure we will all reach our goals..... they are all just as important as the next one's.... :)

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the words of wisdom!

lol -isn't that what we're here for?....... It's been a pleasure meeting you exmark.....

exmark614
12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
lol -isn't that what we're here for?....... It's been a pleasure meeting you exmark.....

Well that and learn about the industry ha...but great meeting you lawncosmetics, I really like that name, very creative.

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Well that and learn about the industry ha...but great meeting you lawncosmetics, I really like that name, very creative.

Well thank you..... Creativity is a natural ability......... :) And with anything in life, it's all a learned process..... you either have it or you don't... I don't have a choice - I have to have it.... :)

exmark614
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Well thank you..... Creativity is a natural ability......... :) And with anything in life, it's all a learned process..... you either have it or you don't... I don't have a choice - I have to have it.... :)

I definitely don't have creativity ha. Art is not my strong side at all....

LawnCosmetics
12-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I definitely don't have creativity ha. Art is not my strong side at all....

Don't worry - it'll come natural......I promise....

exmark614
12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Don't worry - it'll come natural......I promise....

Haha, thanks. I'm hoping it comes soon lol.

T.M. LAWNS
12-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Welcome to lawnsite. :waving:

LawnCosmetics
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Welcome to lawnsite. :waving:

Thanks! This forum is pretty nice. Has a lot of info and ideas.

lifetree
12-11-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnCosmetics -- It's great that you really want to start an LCO business, however, what's better is that you have decided to complete your Master's degree !! You see, I am in that category myself ... I have an MBA and CPA, however, I didn't quit my FT job and it's a good thing I didn't because in 2007 the southern drought hit and then in 2008 the economy hit the skids.

I tried to start part-time but didn't have much success with it ... I'm doing just a couple of accounts but I'm very thankful that i didn't quit my job ... good luck !!

exmark614
12-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Lifetree, What degree is your MBA in?

DLAWNS
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the site lawncosmetics. Any questions just ask!

lifetree
12-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Lifetree, What degree is your MBA in?

My BS is in Finance, MBA is in Business Admin., MS in Health Admin., and MTS in Theology !! Also, I went back and took some Accounting courses to qualify for the CPA, however, I don't actually have a degree in Accounting. Like you, I have always had a thing about being outdoors ... however, with the general economy right now it really is a good thing that I didn't quit my "day job".

exmark614
12-12-2009, 09:03 PM
My BS is in Finance, MBA is in Business Admin., MS in Health Admin., and MTS in Theology !! Also, I went back and took some Accounting courses to qualify for the CPA, however, I don't actually have a degree in Accounting. Like you, I have always had a thing about being outdoors ... however, with the general economy right now it really is a good thing that I didn't quit my "day job".

Hmm interesting. That's a lot of degrees. And I have yet to work a job where I am not outside the majority of the time. I can't get enough of it! However I'm not the type that has to work outside otherwise I can't function, I enjoy being in the office.