PDA

View Full Version : Hustler deck wheels (anti-scalp)

jbo90423
12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Can someone, anyone, please tell me a website to purchase deck wheels for a Super Z Hustler 60"..... let me clarify, I need not only the wheel... but the bolt and nuts. It seems the deck wheels break somewhat easily??? And for some reason the nuts came loose and I have lost the entire kit. I asked te dealer where I purchased my mower, but the price was extremely high. Thanks in advance....

demhustler
12-08-2009, 11:48 PM
bolts and one nut - regular, one nut - narrower (or regular can be grinded)
yea, design stupid - doesn't last long - they thought -just put bigger bolts and it would hold longer, wouldn't snap or bend...: ))))))))

in a short while it getting lose, thread on bolt wears out, you can't tighten it up, everything hanging loose and wearing-off mounts on the deck ...
may be they let some tard to design it, but cheap built and poor design are not good - they really need to address these details some day : ))))

i'm using setup from exmark (wheel, bushing, bolt) on my superz - exmark's much better

demhustler
12-09-2009, 12:08 AM
p.s. hustler's roller wheels bit differnt (bolt diameter) - try to match other wheels, to order a part (can't tell website right now) or order from dealer, or change whole set

Mickhippy
12-09-2009, 05:15 AM
I had a bolt snap today. I just replace with good 4.5" (should of got the shorter one) bolt, a nut, a few washers to use as spacers and a locking nut. Cost bugger all!
I did the same thing on my old SZ and never had a problem after.
I also lost a knob (for want of a better word) that hold the deck/pulley covers on the other day. Back to the bolts!
Really should check all these things for tightness more often! All the scalp wheels and deck cover knobs were pretty loose!

Turf Dawg
12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
I do not know about after market wheels, but I went to Tractor Supply and bought grade 8 bolts and have not broke another one.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Even at retail from a dealer the wheel and hardware should only be around $10.00 a wheel. That doesn't seem to expensive to me.:dizzy:

topsites
12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Even at retail from a dealer the wheel and hardware should only be around $10.00 a wheel. That doesn't seem to expensive to me.:dizzy:

Yeah and you won't believe this but they sell nuts and bolts at these Home Depot stores too. :dizzy:

RonAyersMotorsports
12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah and you won't believe this but they sell nuts and bolts at these Home Depot stores too. :dizzy:

Yeah I'm so gonna waist ten dollars in gas to leave a Hustler dealer and ride to Home Depot and Lowes to save a total of $1-1.50.:hammerhead: Hustlers nuts and bolts sure to fit, are not much higher then the same grade bolts at your hardware stores. Unless a dealer is just over pricing them. We don't.

Turf Dawg
12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
My problem with the factory bolts are that they are grade 3/5 do not remember for sure, but I do know that they were constantly breaking. Since I have changed to grade 8 bolts, knock on wood, I have not broken anymore.

Maple Wood
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
My problem with the factory bolts are that they are grade 3/5 do not remember for sure, but I do know that they were constantly breaking. Since I have changed to grade 8 bolts, knock on wood, I have not broken anymore.

I am doing the same thing. The grade 8 seem to last longer. They won't bend as easy. Would it be so hard to have the engineers add a small strip of 1/4" metal to make it a 2 point mount? That would solve 99% of the bolt problem.

brucec32
12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Can someone, anyone, please tell me a website to purchase deck wheels for a Super Z Hustler 60"..... let me clarify, I need not only the wheel... but the bolt and nuts. It seems the deck wheels break somewhat easily??? And for some reason the nuts came loose and I have lost the entire kit. I asked te dealer where I purchased my mower, but the price was extremely high. Thanks in advance....

Does this help?

http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/100_hustler_superz_deck.html

puppypaws
12-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I had a bolt snap today. I just replace with good 4.5" (should of got the shorter one) bolt, a nut, a few washers to use as spacers and a locking nut. Cost bugger all!
I did the same thing on my old SZ and never had a problem after.
I also lost a knob (for want of a better word) that hold the deck/pulley covers on the other day. Back to the bolts!
Really should check all these things for tightness more often! All the scalp wheels and deck cover knobs were pretty loose!

I put the blue Locktite on the deck cover knobs, never had another problem. Some of them will vibrate loose and others never do, kind of hard to figure, Locktite will totally resolve the problem. Find grade 8 bolts (more expensive) and put in the anti-scalp wheels, they will not break.

Mickhippy
12-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I put the blue Locktite on the deck cover knobs, never had another problem. Some of them will vibrate loose and others never do, kind of hard to figure, Locktite will totally resolve the problem. Find grade 8 bolts (more expensive) and put in the anti-scalp wheels, they will not break.

You know, I never thought of locktite. Just not looking forward to buying another knob. Im sure they wont mi$$ me!

Im using the same bolts I had on old SZ. Never had a problem. I think my problem is that Im cutting a little lower than last year, finding more roots, rocks etc. Be raising the deck a little in the new year so everything should be ok.

Good to see your still around Puppy!

grassman177
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
hey mchippy, i saw you are going into your spring this year very hot, the news was reporting like 100+ degrees and fires. that sucks. how are things were you are as i think that was close to you

Mickhippy
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
hey mchippy, i saw you are going into your spring this year very hot, the news was reporting like 100+ degrees and fires. that sucks. how are things were you are as i think that was close to you

Its been VERY hot and dry where I am. Works slowed to a crawl as nothings growing. I should of done something like 9 lawns yesterday, I didnt do any. Should be flat out.
We haven't had rain for about 5 or 6 weeks now, only strong dry winds.
Its a bit of a nightmare really!

"They" have been saying possible storms lately but its only been a light show in the distance. No rain yet!

One good thing is years like this seem to cull the competition.

puppypaws
12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Its been VERY hot and dry where I am. Works slowed to a crawl as nothings growing. I should of done something like 9 lawns yesterday, I didnt do any. Should be flat out.
We haven't had rain for about 5 or 6 weeks now, only strong dry winds.
Its a bit of a nightmare really!

"They" have been saying possible storms lately but its only been a light show in the distance. No rain yet!

One good thing is years like this seem to cull the competition.

If you would please post some pictures of the dry conditions, I can't imagine what it would look like after it staying wet and plush for so long. The Super Z is having very little trouble blowing through the dryer grass at top speed, the last pictures we saw it was raining every day and the Super Z was struggling to keep up.