PDA

View Full Version : New Gravely Pro Turn 200 Series

Thunderhead
12-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Does anybody know anything about these mowers yet? Unless I'm way behind, I'm guessing the Pro Turn is new for 2010. I watched a video on youtube about the Pro Turn 260. I really like the looks of this mower, but have never owned a Gravely product and I'm not sure of the performance and reliability of their products.

How much do replacement parts cost for a Gravely, compared to other brands??

Thunderhead:)

wwls
12-09-2009, 01:22 AM
I have a Gravely PM260 XDZ with a kawasaki 27hp and 60" deck. Its been running perfectly for two seasons (about 350 hrs.) without a problem. I'd put it up against anything on the market. It's a BEAST. Its fast, rides like a cadillac, and makes a beautiful cut. The Pro Turn is supposed to require less maintenance. It must be a super machine. Gravely has a good warranty (2 yrs). The blades are the only parts I've replaced and they are cheaper than most other brands. My next mower will be a Gravely.

Thunderhead
12-09-2009, 01:50 AM
I have a new Hustler Super Z. I put about 12 hours on it so far. I haven't got to use it much but in the short time I've had it, I love it.
I was looking at the Gravelys and really like the way they look. I even looked at them before I bought my Hustler. But the local Gravely "dealer" (if you call it that) turned me against it. I've heard bad stories about how he handles his business anyway.

An elderly man I know used to be in the grass business years ago. He had a Gravely ZTR and said he really liked his.He is what made me decide to look at them. But he bought his from a totally different dealer than the place i went to.

I mainly went with the Hustler brand because of the superb kindness and support of my local dealer.

joel29m
12-09-2009, 02:23 AM
what part of louisiana are yall from?

Thunderhead
12-09-2009, 02:29 AM
I am around the Walker area. Where u from?

joel29m
12-09-2009, 02:34 AM
the baton rouge area.

GravelyNut
12-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I'll know for sure tomorrow afternoon. There'll be one here at the shop.

Thunderhead
12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
GravelyNut,

Let me know what your opinions are on this mower. I'd like to know any information you can give me on it. Pros and Cons and whatever else.

Thanks,

C.G.Y. Lawnmowing
12-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a gravely 148m xdz and what a machine it is. I've used somebodys 260 for at least 6 years and hasn't required much besides regular maintanance. They are really nice maches and very well priced! They leave a great cut to and are super heavy duty! Gravely has my vote anyday!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thunderhead
12-09-2009, 11:33 PM
I love my Hustler and have no intentions what so ever to get rid of it.

This may be the wrong thread to ask, but how do you guys reat the Gravely brand to the Hustler brand?? Now don't get me wrong, I know for a fact that no matter what brand it is, the selling dealer has a Whole Lot to do with how a particular brand "shines."

Thanks,

GravelyNut
12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
GravelyNut,

Let me know what your opinions are on this mower. I'd like to know any information you can give me on it. Pros and Cons and whatever else.

Thanks,

Whole lot of changes from the 260Z. Different lift on the deck. Heavier forks and frame, change fom 3/16" to 1/4". Drives are now units instead of pump and motor seperate. ROPS. We get our own stock around the first of the month. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to spend any seat time as I was in the process of copying some video for the local PD. :(

HenryB
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
GravelyNut,

Thanks,

The Super Z is a great mower reliability is an issue. With a good dealer your OK. W/out good dealer support I'd never own a Super Z (hydro issues, electrical, switches etc) these seem to surface at about 400 hrs. These are all easily remedied It's mind boggling Hustler hasn't worked them out. I believe they've got heavier wheel motors now The heat shield should be stock. The company support is good. Just be sure your dealer is competent.

starry night
12-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I received an e-mail the other day because of my LawnSite account, which invited me to take a survey (supposedly will pay me $25, check is in the mail).
It was from a marketing company and took about 10 minutes to complete. About 3/4 of the way through it, it became clear that the survey had been solicited for Gravely. For my particular work, I am dedicated to Walker.
But the survey itself, and what it said about Gravely, shed a very positive light on the Gravely company and its mowers.

Thunderhead
12-10-2009, 08:15 PM
The Super Z is a great mower reliability is an issue. With a good dealer your OK. W/out good dealer support I'd never own a Super Z (hydro issues, electrical, switches etc) these seem to surface at about 400 hrs. The company support is good. Just be sure your dealer is competent.

I don't have a "good" dealer. The dealer I have- there's few and far in between. He's Superb! I can honestly say that he (2 miles from me) is the main reason I chose Hustler. I know of no other dealers (that sell whatever kind of product) that is as kind and honest as my Hustler ZTR/Redmax Dealer. I can't type enough or even say enough good about him and his wife....
I also chose Hustler because of Customer Reviews, Hustler Customer Support, and finally, last but not least, PJ (here on Lawnsite). My dealer and PJ seem to be runnin' kneck and kneck!lol:laugh:
My dealer said that he has no control over if the machine breaks down (for whatever reason). But he guaranteed me that if it DOES break, the last thing I should do is have to worry about it. I believe in him 110%. I know he'll never let me regret my purchase in any way, shape, or form.

HenryB
12-10-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't have a "good" dealer. The dealer I have- there's few and far in between. He's Superb! I can honestly say that he (2 miles from me) is the main reason I chose Hustler. I know of no other dealers (that sell whatever kind of product) that is as kind and honest as my Hustler ZTR/Redmax Dealer. I can't type enough or even say enough good about him and his wife....
I also chose Hustler because of Customer Reviews, Hustler Customer Support, and finally, last but not least, PJ (here on Lawnsite). My dealer and PJ seem to be runnin' kneck and kneck!lol:laugh:
My dealer said that he has no control over if the machine breaks down (for whatever reason). But he guaranteed me that if it DOES break, the last thing I should do is have to worry about it. I believe in him 110%. I know he'll never let me regret my purchase in any way, shape, or form.

Sounds like your in a great position. If I had a better local dealer I'd still be running Super Z's I love the way they handle and they cut very well.

lawnspecialties
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I spoke with my dealer last week about the Pro-Turns. From what I recall, the whole focus of the machine is to make a "simpler design" mower so costs would be reduced. One example (if I recall correctly) is that the Pro-Turns don't have a pivoting front axle like my 252 and 260 do.

I have a brochure at home. I'll try to track it down tomorrow to get more exact details.

GravelyNut
12-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I spoke with my dealer last week about the Pro-Turns. From what I recall, the whole focus of the machine is to make a "simpler design" mower so costs would be reduced. One example (if I recall correctly) is that the Pro-Turns don't have a pivoting front axle like my 252 and 260 do.

I have a brochure at home. I'll try to track it down tomorrow to get more exact details.They are indeed fixed fronts.

lawnspecialties
12-11-2009, 05:55 PM
According to my brochure, here's what I can tell.

1. Pro-Turn 100s come with Kawasaki 24hp or 26hp. Pro-Turn 200s come with Kawasaki 26hp, 27hp, or 31hp.
2. The drive system is an integrated pump and wheel motor. The 100s have a ZT 3400 and the 200s have a ZT 5400. I test drove a Pro-Turn 154 and it drove much smoother than my 148 XDZ.
3. The 100 deck sizes are 48", 52", or 60". The 200 deck sizes are 52", 60", or 66".
4. Deck lift appears to be manual only. It lists no hydraulic lift. The 200s now have .25" increments instead of the former .50" increments. FINALLY!!

Pretty much all the other specs are the same as the 100 series and 200 series from last year. The 100s top out at 10mph and the 200s top out at 13 mph. Same as before. 100s use Ogura GT 1A electric clutch and the 200s use Ogura GT 2.5 electric clutch. Same as the XDZs I have.

As the literature states, "...the most robust and feature rich professional mower available in the market today at a fraction of the cost of competitive machines. Featuring a low maintenance design, increased frame strength, lower center of gravity, increased rider comfort and the variability to offer a perfect cut each and every time."

By the way, the former 200 series are still offered as "Pro-Masters". Most likely more expensive than the new Pro-Turns but a beefier machine with more engine choices. Still the 21cc pumps and 18ci wheel motors.

Thunderhead
12-11-2009, 08:13 PM
That's some good information ya'll got there. Would it be possible to post up some pics for us? We'd love to see them. I know I would.

Thanks,

MOturkey
12-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Checked out the video on Youtube. Easy to find. Will be purchasing a new mower in March, and would seriously consider this new model instead of another 260, but just don't think I can live without a deck lift. I can see not having a hydraulic one due to the integrated drive units, but looks like they could go to an electric lift instead. Just don't like manual lifts, especially for my wife.

GravelyNut
12-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Checked out the video on Youtube. Easy to find. Will be purchasing a new mower in March, and would seriously consider this new model instead of another 260, but just don't think I can live without a deck lift. I can see not having a hydraulic one due to the integrated drive units, but looks like they could go to an electric lift instead. Just don't like manual lifts, especially for my wife.

There is an electric lift kit for some models. I'll check monday and see if it is going to work on the new models.

CottonPatch
12-12-2009, 11:26 PM
According to my brochure, here's what I can tell.

1. Pro-Turn 100s come with Kawasaki 24hp or 26hp. Pro-Turn 200s come with Kawasaki 26hp, 27hp, or 31hp.
2. The drive system is an integrated pump and wheel motor. The 100s have a ZT 3400 and the 200s have a ZT 5400. I test drove a Pro-Turn 154 and it drove much smoother than my 148 XDZ.
3. The 100 deck sizes are 48", 52", or 60". The 200 deck sizes are 52", 60", or 66".
4. Deck lift appears to be manual only. It lists no hydraulic lift. The 200s now have .25" increments instead of the former .50" increments. FINALLY!!

Pretty much all the other specs are the same as the 100 series and 200 series from last year. The 100s top out at 10mph and the 200s top out at 13 mph. Same as before. 100s use Ogura GT 1A electric clutch and the 200s use Ogura GT 2.5 electric clutch. Same as the XDZs I have.

As the literature states, "...the most robust and feature rich professional mower available in the market today at a fraction of the cost of competitive machines. Featuring a low maintenance design, increased frame strength, lower center of gravity, increased rider comfort and the variability to offer a perfect cut each and every time."

By the way, the former 200 series are still offered as "Pro-Masters". Most likely more expensive than the new Pro-Turns but a beefier machine with more engine choices. Still the 21cc pumps and 18ci wheel motors.

There will be an electric lift option for the Pro-Turn 100's and 200's. Some added features to go with the above are:
1. Lowered the seat height by 1 1/2", widened stance to 55" and transmissions are lower in the frame for better hillside stability.
2. 20% less parts than the current 200 series
3. 25% bigger castor forks, shafts, and bearings
4. Engine and transmission compartment, footrest and handles are all ISO mounted for a 60% reduction in vibration.
5. Leading edge of deck has a 1/2' wear bar, tapered trim side for better visibility, and additional gussets welded between leading edge and front baffle for more support
6. Double hang arms for deck with a 3/8" chain and quick level adjustment with the turn of four bolts located on each corner of the deck
7. Only four hydraulic leak points with each transmission seperate of the other to eliminate cross contamination.
8. Foldable ROPS are now standard on all 100's and 200's

Check with your local dealer on pricing and I think you will be amazed at what you get for the price on this machine.

There are sales reps demos in the field now and production just started last week and should be arriving to dealers soon.

Thunderhead, if you are interested I can set up a demo soon with you.

MOturkey
12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Cotton Patch, thanks for the info. I'm happy with my 260's, but am always willing to look at something new. Not sure I will like the non-pivoting front end, but that is something I'd probably get used to. I do like the idea of wider stance, and lower center of gravity, as I occasionally mow some pretty steep slopes.

My dealer drove a prototype of these at the big Gravely meeting back in late summer, and was impressed, but he told me then they didn't have a power deck lift, so I probably wouldn't be interested. I'm going to run by and talk to him and mention the electric option in hopes he'll get one in to demo.

CottonPatch
12-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Cotton Patch, thanks for the info. I'm happy with my 260's, but am always willing to look at something new. Not sure I will like the non-pivoting front end, but that is something I'd probably get used to. I do like the idea of wider stance, and lower center of gravity, as I occasionally mow some pretty steep slopes.

My dealer drove a prototype of these at the big Gravely meeting back in late summer, and was impressed, but he told me then they didn't have a power deck lift, so I probably wouldn't be interested. I'm going to run by and talk to him and mention the electric option in hopes he'll get one in to demo.

The electric lift part number for the Pro-Turn 200 is 792113 and 791032 for the 100 series.

Thunderhead
12-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Does anybody know what the prices will be on the new Pro Turn 200 series?

Thunderhead
02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
I just looked at Gravely's website. Glad to see they finally updated it.

I didn't know they were making a "Pro-Master" series. Anybody know what the major differences are between the Pro Master series and the Pro Turn series??

It looks like the Pro-Master doesn't come with a 31 hp Kawasaki in the 60inch cut. But comes with a Briggs-Daihatsu diesel only if you get the hydraulic deck lift??

I really like the looks of these mowers and from reading some tinngs on their website, seems like Gravely has stepped up a bit...

Thunderhead

MJB
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I gave my Gravely 260Z back in 2008. I ran it side by side mulching, with my Exmarks and my Super Z and the cut quality, as well as downhill traction was not up to par with the other mowers. Side discharging I'm sure it would be fine but I needed a mulching mower. Now they may work great down south the grass is totaly different. I worked on the pitch changing it several times and never could get it look as good as the others.

The Hustler Super Z has cut quality issues too and the deck gets way to much grass built up in it, having to clean it more often than other decks. But point it downhill and it has enough reverse traction to stop and turn around where the Gravely once it's pointed downhill your committed and can become a pain costing more time. Some of my lawns are uphill downhill and I could not turn the Gravely around without a lot of slipping.

Hustler probably won't be as dependable as Gravely but the ride is as good as they get.

jtkplc
02-16-2010, 01:01 PM
It appears from the picture on the site that the Pro-Turn's have put the front left castor position to the right of the spindle like Exmark's design for better cut quality.

It also looks like they have brought the rear tires up close to the deck.

These look like some very good machines with some great improvements. I'm glad to see Exmark/Toro and now Gravely making some good changes in the right direction. Simpler designs, less moving parts, and less maintenance. All superb upgrades.

jtkplc
02-16-2010, 03:16 PM
It appears from the picture on the site that the Pro-Turn's have put the front left castor position to the right of the spindle like Exmark's design for better cut quality.

It also looks like they have brought the rear tires up close to the deck.

These look like some very good machines with some great improvements. I'm glad to see Exmark/Toro and now Gravely making some good changes in the right direction. Simpler designs, less moving parts, and less maintenance. All superb upgrades.

Never mind that statement. I was thinking of my Exmark XS.

jmeyers
05-20-2010, 06:42 AM
I have the Pro Turn 260 with the 31hp Kawasaki. SO far this mower is awesome. For the price I feel you cannot beat this mower. $ 8,200. I think Gravely really did this one right, the ride is very nice and it does not lack in power.

MJB
05-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I have the Pro Turn 260 with the 31hp Kawasaki. SO far this mower is awesome. For the price I feel you cannot beat this mower. $ 8,200. I think Gravely really did this one right, the ride is very nice and it does not lack in power.

Just don't point it downhill... and try to stop.

NORTHMAN
05-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm looking at the same mower,it does seem like one of the better deals going.They also lowered the seat and has a wider stance so it should be better on hills.Theres just dosen't seem many people on LS that have bought one.Hopefully there will be more replys.Thanks.

vt properties
05-20-2010, 07:36 PM

Does it come with striping rollers on the deck? Machine looks great for the price

NORTHMAN
05-20-2010, 08:57 PM
There an option.

cajundriller
06-13-2010, 05:18 PM
There will be an electric lift option for the Pro-Turn 100's and 200's. Some added features to go with the above are:
1. Lowered the seat height by 1 1/2", widened stance to 55" and transmissions are lower in the frame for better hillside stability.
2. 20% less parts than the current 200 series
3. 25% bigger castor forks, shafts, and bearings
4. Engine and transmission compartment, footrest and handles are all ISO mounted for a 60% reduction in vibration.
5. Leading edge of deck has a 1/2' wear bar, tapered trim side for better visibility, and additional gussets welded between leading edge and front baffle for more support
6. Double hang arms for deck with a 3/8" chain and quick level adjustment with the turn of four bolts located on each corner of the deck
7. Only four hydraulic leak points with each transmission seperate of the other to eliminate cross contamination.
8. Foldable ROPS are now standard on all 100's and 200's

Check with your local dealer on pricing and I think you will be amazed at what you get for the price on this machine.

There are sales reps demos in the field now and production just started last week and should be arriving to dealers soon.

Thunderhead, if you are interested I can set up a demo soon with you.

Cotton Patch,

I am very interested in the Pro Turn 260 with the 31 Kaw... what are you selling these for! Whats a fair price with a mulching kit?

MJB
06-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Cotton Patch,

I am very interested in the Pro Turn 260 with the 31 Kaw... what are you selling these for! Whats a fair price with a mulching kit?

Demo one withthe mulch kit before buying it. I was not happy with the 260 and mulch kit. Did not perform as well as my other mowers in northern grass.

CottonPatch
06-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Send me a private message with your contact info and I will be more than glad to help you out.
Thanks

Cotton Patch,

demhustler
09-25-2010, 08:07 PM
for what i see - it looks pretty solid build machine; over 200 hours - so far so good

first year for zt 5400 tranny, also in husqvarna, scag cheeta - two speed; badboy and gravely - one sped

features on gravely - large front wheels (15''); separate engine tray suspension (rubber isolators); deck support pusher arms in the rear (bb, husqv., cheet- front)

so, any updates how it holds-on?

Lawnut101
09-25-2010, 11:51 PM
I think they look like pretty nice mowers to me. I've seen them at a dealer by me, and a few guys have posted pics on here before.

rain man
09-26-2010, 01:28 AM
We have the promaster 252 xdz. Mechanical deck lift springs in my estimation are too weak, and once it gets going downhill its hard to stop (as mentioned).

demhustler
09-26-2010, 01:56 AM
We have the promaster 252 xdz. Mechanical deck lift springs in my estimation are too weak, and once it gets going downhill its hard to stop (as mentioned).

proturn has light front, promasters' front pivot arm - heavy load
any mower going nose down steep hill hard to stop - like any other vehicle without front breaks, only rear ....

demhustler
10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
I have a pro turn 200 and last I heard they were not available....next time I go to dealer I will ask. I haven't asked about it for a while, I asked the question when I bought the machine in May.

so, what's your opinion -how it's so far? how it does compare to others?

demhustler
10-14-2010, 04:44 PM
guys, who can post pictures ? especially - engine tray suspension (isolators) - hard to see from oem site picts

The LawnRanger
10-14-2010, 05:43 PM
The Pro Turns are alredy out I own gravelys nice mowers but I am going to all Snapper Pro's next season

vt properties
10-15-2010, 05:28 PM
so, what's your opinion -how it's so far? how it does compare to others?

Very smooth hydros, I have the pro turn 60 with the smaller 27hp kawi engine. I really like the cut even when its wet out. Performs good on hills. It sits low, and you sit pretty low compaired to other ZTR's. The manual deck lift is a little heavy with the 60", the 52" is a little easier. I am 35 yo and pretty good shape so for me its not a prob. I really like the fact of almost no leak points for the hydros. The price I paid was 7800, the 52" they had was 7k. I am very happy with the unit. It was put through its paces this summer for sure, no malfunctions so far. Overall a very well designed machine , especiall for the price. What sold me was the low center of gravity, price, ease of maintance and of course I have a dealer close buy. They sell CC as well, and they parked a Tank next to it and the tank seat was so much higher and the frame on the Gravely looked solid, thicker. If you go to you tube they have a video on the Gravely. The deck lift also has 1/4" incriments as opposed to the more expensive pro master which has 1/2". I would recomend the machine, especially for the price. Are you looking to buy one?

vt properties
10-15-2010, 05:34 PM
I have a older x-mark with a kohler powerplant. The gravely cuts on par with it. X marks a graet machines as well, they are a little more pricey. As far as hills go I have not done anything crazy with either of them, but the gravely worked well on the hills I feel comfortable putting a ztr on. The hydros are smoother then the x mark lazer I have, however i have 1300 hrs on the x mark.