PDA

View Full Version : Laying Sod in December

ztrguy
12-09-2009, 02:32 AM
I'm wanting to lay some sod to prevent erosion in a few places (less than 300 sq. ft) and I'm wanting to know if it's even possible to lay sod this late in the year? Located in Northeast Arkansas. If so, what sod would be the best bet? I'm thinking fescue.

ICT Bill
12-09-2009, 11:20 AM
If you can find it, most of those guys have stopped production because it is so slow

You could use straw to hold the area down until you can purchase sod or put bales down with stakes if the hill is extreme

ztrguy
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
If you can find it, most of those guys have stopped production because it is so slow

You could use straw to hold the area down until you can purchase sod or put bales down with stakes if the hill is extreme

Thanks Bill! That's a great idea if I'm unable to get the sod. It's starting to get wet around here so they may not be able to get their equipment in there to cut the sod. I may have to end up laying down some straw.

Barefoot James
12-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Don't know about MI and points north where it gets really cold 0 but here in KY and south we can lay sod anytime they can get it cut. Many times it is too wet but I have several sites this winter that I'm doing ammendments before they lay the sod.

Lawn Guy 1
12-09-2009, 12:30 PM
if you can get the sod be sure to put down a starter fertilizer (high phosphorous) to enchourage root development.

ztrguy
12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Don't know about MI and points north where it gets really cold 0 but here in KY and south we can lay sod anytime they can get it cut. Many times it is too wet but I have several sites this winter that I'm doing ammendments before they lay the sod.

What type of sod are they laying?

ztrguy
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
if you can get the sod be sure to put down a starter fertilizer (high phosphorous) to enchourage root development.

Great idea!

ztrguy
12-09-2009, 01:18 PM

Great idea!

Barefoot James
12-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Tall Fescue. I stay away from P. Most soil samples we do show plenty already in the soil and it kills mycorrhizae which is the main thing along with humus we are ammending iinto the soil. Get your myco working and you will have the highway to all the nutrients your turf could ever need - from the soil.

fl-landscapes
12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
how about an erosion control blanket until spring? Hay might work but probably not as good, but less expensive.

Barefoot James
12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Well just mulch it with some compost/mulch mix - before you use those nylon webbed erosion blankets - those things will be there forever. Mulching with a good hardwood/compost mix will be great for the soil too so when you sod or seed the soil will be good. Don't just use compost it has to have some good wood in it so it can bind on itself as to help with intended purpose - erosion. 1 yard will give you a good 1 inch blanket!

fl-landscapes
12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Well just mulch it with some compost/mulch mix - before you use those nylon webbed erosion blankets - those things will be there forever. Mulching with a good hardwood/compost mix will be great for the soil too so when you sod or seed the soil will be good. Don't just use compost it has to have some good wood in it so it can bind on itself as to help with intended purpose - erosion. 1 yard will give you a good 1 inch blanket!

They make them out of biodegradable materials as well. Compost will just wash out and his intitial question was how to avoid erosion.

Barefoot James
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Don't just use compost it has to have some good wood in it so it can bind on itself as to help with intended purpose - erosion.

fl see my above quote - yes compost will just wash out HOWEVER with mulch mixed in the wood (sticks) will bind together and keep soil in place.

Erosion Blankets with biodegradable nets are not very common (yet) and supplies are not nearly as available as nylon/plastic etc. They at this time, are also much more expensive - my solution is available almost everywhere.