PDA

View Full Version : Standers and hills - need experienced help

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone,

We're wanting to try a stander for our next mower... most likely Wright or Gravely unless JD or Great Dane have hands down better handling... The problem is hills around here. I've gotten to where I can manuever most hills comfortably with a rider, but I'm wondering (prefer experience, not just "seeing what some other guy did on a you tube video", etc.) about hills with the standing mowers. My brother works for a guy in the LC biz (around here... East Tennessee) and he uses standers. He told me that they have issues on hills. I don't know if that's due to smaller deck sizes meaning narrower wheel stance or too big of a deck size, and gravity doing it's thing.

To explain just a little... When we were looking for a new mower this last year we talked to a Great Dane dealer and talked about the stander they offer. He said that with the smaller deck sizes, the mower is lighter and it gets top heavy. He reasoned with me with the following example: Let's say you have a 38" deck, the frame is physically smaller than what would be used for a 52" deck. He recommended no more than a 52 because the larger you go the heavier the deck becomes (no duh) and with that happening you have to worry about gravity doing it's thing, no matter what the stance.

Any experience would be helpful.

Gus

delphied
12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I use a 66 Exmark Lazer and replaced a 48 TTHP WB with a Toro 48 Grandstand. The TTHP or any WB is the best mower for ditches and steep slopes. Thats all they are good for after having owned the Grandstand. The Grandstand is good on hills especially after a few hours of experience with the touchy controls. Its like a fighter jet compared to a conventionial Zturn. IMHO, A sit down Z is too dangerous to be on on a steep slope. I am happy with the slope performance of the Grandstand. As long as you stay on the platform to keep weight on the back tires, it holds the slope like a billy goat. On hills and slopes all mowers handle differently than on flat ground. That includes the way walk behinds and conventional Zturns handle on slopes as well. All mowers have idiosyncracys that you learn how to deal with. The Grandstand handles slopes well and I will never own another WB. Ever. I have test driven Wrights and they are my second choice. I like the mower deck and cut of the Toro better. The JD, Gravely, Great Dane family of stand ons are my last choice. If anyone tells you that any mower handles the same on the side of a slope as it does on flat ground they are lying.

Lazer Cut
12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I also own a Grandstand 52hp 23hp. Great on hills is all I can. I have had no problems with the handling of the stander on the hills. It sticks to the hills where as a walk behind may slide or ztr may slide a little the grandstand does not. I do not like the Wright stander due to the platform... also the grandstand's platform allows you to lean to the right or left when on hills causing the machine to stick even better.

Great machine hands down to the Grandstand... The thing about don't go bigger than 52" is true but the 60" grandstand with 26hp I demo'd and it was a great piece of equipment on the hills. the deck was not bad, because toro has put a spring on the side to help assist with the gas shocks that help pull the deck up... pretty good ground speed also... reverse sucks and I recommended that reverse should be improved... when both controls are put together the mower goes back great when you need to try to move left or right in reverse it sucks...

just my thoughts hope it helps.

grassman177
12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
we own wrights and have 4 48in cut and 1 36in cut. the 36 is ok, but the 48 is great, i know 52 is from other oberators.

i mow all kinds of crazy things with our 48 standers. very steep hills and crazy berms. it handles those odd situations well, but i understand the grandstand is nice after driving one a bit myself. we chose to buy another new 48 this last week and it is going to be great. we got a 19 hp kaw 48in redesigned stander. it is going to be awesome no question.

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 01:13 PM
So it seems like the Toro would be the way to go then. By the time we actually will need one (probably a few more years) the Grandstand'll have the kinks worked out of it and most likely Exmark and Scag'll have one out to. LOL

Thanks alot you guys.

Curious Grassman... If you liked the Grandstand from driving it, what made you decide on the Wright again?

mowerbrad
12-09-2009, 02:13 PM
I have demo'ed wright and deere standers and here is what I found....

One of the wright's that I demo'ed was the newer ZK, 61" if I remember correctly. That thing was amazing on hills. I took it places that would have flipped my ztr's and I felt perfectly safe on the ZK. It was just as fast as almost any ztr on the market at 13mph, so it was ideal on medium to large properties. And if you are going to be mowing some serious hills, this zk is the best thing on the market for hills, and there is no question about it either. This thing will hold a hill better than any other mower on the market and its available in 52" and 61" right now.

I also demo'ed a 48" wright RH. This was okay on a hill, not nearly as good as the ZK. It was kind of cool that when you changed the deck height the whole control tower and engine platform would lower as well, thus lowering the whole unit's center of gravity. But even with that, it still liked to spin a wheel every so often. But this mower was definately better on a hill than a traditional ztr.

And the last stand-on mower I demo'ed was the John Deere Quik-Trak. It was a 60" deck on it with the 23hp engine. I would say it was a little better than the wright RH but not as good as the ZK. The quik trak comes with a 48", 54" or 60" cutting deck and they are all mounted on the same frame, just a different deck. It was probably the most comfortable unit for me and the controls I felt were located better. It still would go places that I wouldn't take my ztrs. The quik trak has been out for a number of years, so it really has proven itself.

And after demoing all three mowers I made my decision on the john deere quik-trak as one of my next mowers.

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Brad.

Keep it coming guys.

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Brad,

Kinda the same question I had for Grassman. If the ZK was the superior piece of equipment, why are you going to go with the JD?

delphied
12-09-2009, 03:01 PM
So it seems like the Toro would be the way to go then. By the time we actually will need one (probably a few more years) the Grandstand'll have the kinks worked out of it and most likely Exmark and Scag'll have one out to. LOL

Thanks alot you guys.

Curious Grassman... If you liked the Grandstand from driving it, what made you decide on the Wright again?

I gave you a good answer that was time consuming to write and I find out a few threads later that you dont even need a mower for a few years. These same answers have already been posted on other threads as well. You just didnt search. Rather than Bestimpression for a moniker, I suggest Simpleminded.

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, that was pretty jerkish delphied. I don't know you or the way you work. I wouldn't be so closeminded and aggressive as to make assumptions like you are.

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
On top of that Delphied, you know how much is on this forum on Standers... The only thing I ever find is some guys hosing down the deck with testosterone trying to justify why they spent money on what they did. I HAVE searched. I will eat crow and apologize if you give me a link to the thread (by the way, this is a post. A thread is a bunch of postings about a particular topic. if you're going to insult someone, do it right).

For everyone else that has taken the time (including you delphi, before you insulted me), thank you very much for your input.

mowerbrad
12-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Brad,

Kinda the same question I had for Grassman. If the ZK was the superior piece of equipment, why are you going to go with the JD?

I have a few reasons for deciding to go with the Deere. First, I really don't have a dealer that sells wright very close to me. My toro dealer is able to get wright from one of their distributors, but then they may not know much about the mower. So if something goes wrong on the mower, it could take longer to find the exact problem or even take longer to get parts that I need. Secondly, I need a mower for some smaller properties, so the ZK really was a little bigger than what I will need and with the deere having a 48" deck available, it really stood out to me. And lastly, I'm going to try and switch to one dealer for most of my equipment, and since I will be buying a deere ztr as well, I figured I might as well stay with the same brand and get the quik trak. This way if I need service or parts I will just have to go to one dealer. I also get my stihl handhelds from my deere dealer. I can pretty much go to one dealer for everything this way.

Really it was not the equipment itself that helped me make my decision, it was just the dealer.

BestImpressions99
12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I'll agree Brad that dealer/service location have ALOT to do with a decision.

Thanks,

grassman177
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
we have the same dealer for both, but the toro was more money and we have a proven record using wrights and have and had many. the new style really improved over the older version. not so much that it is very different components(although some are) just molded a bit different and much stronger and more comfortable. even changed the spacing on the wheels to help for curbs. plus it was available to us with a 19hp kaw for the same price

hackitdown
12-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I have a Great Dane 48" stander and it is not very good on hills. My 52" Exmark Lazer Z is far better. The Great Dane slides on steep slopes. It can climb and descend just fine, but traversing is a problem.

JayD
12-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Wow, I am amazed of how many of you guys use these. I thought these stand on mowers were kind of a new thing maybe just a few years in the making. I test road some at the show a couple years ago and liked the concept but just didn't think I could get used to the controls. But this year I tested the new vantage from eXmark that will be out in 2010 and liked it and was thinking of getting one. I have eXmark W/B's and love them. The cut is awesome. Another reason I want to get one is because they have that short wheel base therefore take up a little less room on the trailer.

BestImpressions99
12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Jay,

Yeah, I've been an Owner Operator since 98 and when I started mowing in the company I bought in '96 Great Dane was the only one (at the time, at least around here) in stand on mowers. I had only heard of Great Danes before coming on this site.

These guys that made this site have definitely done their homework and it's really nice to be able to come together with other O/O's and hash out ideas and product questions. Because honestly without help from other people willing to offer advice and help, where would any of us be.

It looks like for us though, it'll be a toss up between the Grandstand and the Wright ZK.

BestImpressions99
12-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Appreciate your response Grassman.

Keep the rubber side down and the blades movin'

JayD
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi Jay,

Yeah, I've been an Owner Operator since 98 and when I started mowing in the company I bought in '96 Great Dane was the only one (at the time, at least around here) in stand on mowers. I had only heard of Great Danes before coming on this site.

These guys that made this site have definitely done their homework and it's really nice to be able to come together with other O/O's and hash out ideas and product questions. Because honestly without help from other people willing to offer advice and help, where would any of us be.

It looks like for us though, it'll be a toss up between the Grandstand and the Wright ZK.

You are very right, and we all should do our best to buy from the companies who advertise on here, because it's them who keep this thing going. I just love this lawnsite.com. I have learned so much on here.

Daniel's Lawn Care
12-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I also own a Grandstand 52hp 23hp. Great on hills is all I can. I have had no problems with the handling of the stander on the hills. It sticks to the hills where as a walk behind may slide or ztr may slide a little the grandstand does not. I do not like the Wright stander due to the platform... also the grandstand's platform allows you to lean to the right or left when on hills causing the machine to stick even better.

Ditto that. I also own a Grandstand 52" 23hp and I can do about a 30-35 degree slope sideways with no problem. You can probably cut a steeper slope going up and down. Here is a picture of mine.

lotsagrass
12-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Speaking of walk behinds....check out this cray thing. Keep watching, about 30 seconds into it is where it gets interesting. I guess it has a rear discharge and the clumps are horrendous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JGziU2MxZI

grassman177
12-10-2009, 01:24 PM
yeah, rear discharge is only good for those kind of environments where out the side is too dangerous and messy. i have not seen a rear do a good job yet with clippings. i have not seen them all mow either. but this mower is kinda hokie looking for professinal

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I have looked at the grandstands at my toro dealer and just don't see what all the hype is about. Sure it had some nice features but I absolutely hated the controls. All the controls are facing away from the operator and it was way too awkward to use most of the controls. I haven't had the opportunity to demo the grandstand yet, but from going over it at the dealer, I couldn't see why so many people call it the "best" stand on mower.

delphied
12-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I have looked at the grandstands at my toro dealer and just don't see what all the hype is about. Sure it had some nice features but I absolutely hated the controls. All the controls are facing away from the operator and it was way too awkward to use most of the controls. I haven't had the opportunity to demo the grandstand yet, but from going over it at the dealer, I couldn't see why so many people call it the "best" stand on mower.

Ive seen many people say it has the best mower deck. With the new Exmark version, that will be up for grabs if it has an ultra cut.

JayD
12-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Ditto that. I also own a Grandstand 52" 23hp and I can do about a 30-35 degree slope sideways with no problem. You can probably cut a steeper slope going up and down. Here is a picture of mine.

I have noticed that some of the standers do not come with anti-scalp wheels.
How does that work with out them?

JayD
12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Speaking of walk behinds....check out this cray thing. Keep watching, about 30 seconds into it is where it gets interesting. I guess it has a rear discharge and the clumps are horrendous.

I guess it's not to bad if you only use it on the side road where they don't care what it looks like anyway but that would never fly with me.

jbell36
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM

ya it's pretty rediculous if you ask me, a floating deck with anti-scalp wheels is just common sense for a manufacturer at this point in the commercial mowing game...

as for the original question, the two best stand-on units for hillside stability would be hands down wright and toro...great dane and john deere are very similar (to each other) and although i do like the JD it just doesn't hold hills like wright or toro...i personally am not a wright fan but have to give them credit, it's basically their concept...we have two toros and they are amazing on hills, all i have to say about that...as of 2010 they will have most of the kinks worked out which really isn't that many, they had a great first year model, someone mentioned earlier that reverse sucks and i agree but it's only because the settings were off on the hydros straight from the manufacturer...speaking of, i will be taking ours in over the winter to have the upgrades done...

jbell36
12-10-2009, 02:54 PM
oh, and the 2010 60" toro grandstand will have anti-scalp wheels on their "semi-floating" deck

TORO, put the floating deck and anti-scalp wheels back on the grandstand like the first prototype, there IS a demand for it...common sense!

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Ive seen many people say it has the best mower deck. With the new Exmark version, that will be up for grabs if it has an ultra cut.

Toro does have a nice deck, but which one is best is all opinion. Some decks work better in different areas than others.

I still don't get the hype about the grandstand though.:confused:

unkownfl
12-10-2009, 06:23 PM

That concept on the rider is pretty neat. The discharging sucks, but I can see how it becomes useful. Did you watch the car go by? There is a lot of weird English cars.

Cummins343
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
My wrights handle hills with prestige. Their awesome mowers, great cut and good speed.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
12-10-2009, 07:16 PM
I have never tried anything other than a wright which i own and a great dane. I have had me wright cut up and down on a hill the hill was about 45 degrres was very scary but it went up and down it very well down was scary part because if the hydros let loose your done. Iwould very much reccomend the wright stander RH. Good luck man

Bob_n_weave
12-10-2009, 10:21 PM

I love the controls on the Grandstand, very simple. The T2 T-bar controls are the best in my opinion. BTW: Any mower takes a little time to get used too, especially on steep slopes with hazards at the bottom.

I have been very happy with my Grandstand, it will go where alot of sit down mowers will not. My only knock would be the weight, 838lbs not good on soft/wet turf.

JayD
12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
OK, while we all are talking about how well these standers do on hills, let me ask this question. While i look at these on the web, for some reason they all look very lite on the front end so with that here's the question......What do you guys who use these weigh? Because I'm thinking that the front end on these will come up in the air if the rider weighs very much at all.....( on hill's )

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I love the controls on the Grandstand, very simple. The T2 T-bar controls are the best in my opinion. BTW: Any mower takes a little time to get used too, especially on steep slopes with hazards at the bottom.

I have been very happy with my Grandstand, it will go where alot of sit down mowers will not. My only knock would be the weight, 838lbs not good on soft/wet turf.

The T2 controls a fine, but they are very similar to any other stander's controls, so they aren't the problem. The throttle, pto knob, hour meter, are all facing away from the operator. I felt like I had to reach over the entire control tower just to access those things. Unlike every other stander where the buttons are all easier to access and in the same area as the steering levers are.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
12-11-2009, 12:12 AM
OK, while we all are talking about how well these standers do on hills, let me ask this question. While i look at these on the web, for some reason they all look very lite on the front end so with that here's the question......What do you guys who use these weigh? Because I'm thinking that the front end on these will come up in the air if the rider weighs very much at all.....( on hill's )

HEYjay to answer your question i have a 48' rh stander and i am 285 pounds and have not had any trouble with this machine i hope this helps you.

JayD
12-11-2009, 12:27 AM
HEYjay to answer your question i have a 48' rh stander and i am 285 pounds and have not had any trouble with this machine i hope this helps you.

Thanks, it sure does, cause that is what I weigh.
So your saying while you turn up on hills or anything on hills, you have no problem with the front of the mower wanting to pop up.

Jpeg lawn maintenance
12-11-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks, it sure does, cause that is what I weigh.
So your saying while you turn up on hills or anything on hills, you have no problem with the front of the mower wanting to pop up.

Acutally and maybe surprisingly no it does not comeup i lean forward anyways just to be safe but it does not come up. I am very satisfied with that machine. Well worth the money

delphied
12-11-2009, 08:48 AM
The T2 controls a fine, but they are very similar to any other stander's controls, so they aren't the problem. The throttle, pto knob, hour meter, are all facing away from the operator. I felt like I had to reach over the entire control tower just to access those things. Unlike every other stander where the buttons are all easier to access and in the same area as the steering levers are.

When I tested and then purchased my Grandstand these things werent even an issue that I thought about. The hour meter I seldom look at. The PTO is the yellow knob and the throttle is the black on the right that I set and forget while I mow. I bought the Grandstand over the Wright because I like the cut of the Turboforce deck better than the cut of the Wright that I tried. The fact is that I thought the Exmark decks were unbeatable until I replaced my TTHP with the Grandstand. I like the Turboforce deck far better than the Trivantage deck. The Great Dane that I tried was not as manueverable as the Wright or Grandstand. My John Deere dealer wouldnt even talk about getting one for me to try because they cant sell them here. One of this areas most successful dealers tried the Wrights this year and dropped them by August. I presume that they werent selling but dont know that for a fact. Every mower has plusses and minuses that you learn how to work with. If you like JD or Great Dane while testing, you will probably like it after you buy it. Im not trying to sell Grandstands but I will say that walk behinds will never be on my trailer again.

As far as the front popping up on a hill, Its light on the front when pointing straight into the hill at about 45 degrees of slope. Thats my worst slope and I have learned how to deal with it. I weigh 220. Rock solid of course.

Daniel's Lawn Care
12-11-2009, 10:17 AM

I have not missed them in the least. Personally I don't think that anti-scalp wheels do any good. I have seen some people scalp the grass with a mower that had anti-scalp weals.:confused:

mowerbrad
12-11-2009, 10:31 AM
When I tested and then purchased my Grandstand these things werent even an issue that I thought about. The hour meter I seldom look at. The PTO is the yellow knob and the throttle is the black on the right that I set and forget while I mow. I bought the Grandstand over the Wright because I like the cut of the Turboforce deck better than the cut of the Wright that I tried. The fact is that I thought the Exmark decks were unbeatable until I replaced my TTHP with the Grandstand. I like the Turboforce deck far better than the Trivantage deck. The Great Dane that I tried was not as manueverable as the Wright or Grandstand. My John Deere dealer wouldnt even talk about getting one for me to try because they cant sell them here. One of this areas most successful dealers tried the Wrights this year and dropped them by August. I presume that they werent selling but dont know that for a fact. Every mower has plusses and minuses that you learn how to work with. If you like JD or Great Dane while testing, you will probably like it after you buy it. Im not trying to sell Grandstands but I will say that walk behinds will never be on my trailer again.

As far as the front popping up on a hill, Its light on the front when pointing straight into the hill at about 45 degrees of slope. Thats my worst slope and I have learned how to deal with it. I weigh 220. Rock solid of course.

I just thought that those controls on the grandstand were in an awkward position for the operator compared to other standons that seemed to have the controls in an easier spot to access. I will agree that the turbo force deck is a very good deck, I have tried the turbo force decks before and really do like them. The wrights were good mowers, but they only cut good if the discharge chute was folded up and even then they weren't the best cut.

And as far as the deere goes, I could only find one dealer that was willing to get a quik trak for me to demo. The dealer actually bought a 60" quik trak for themselves to use as a demo unit since they couldn't find one anywhere else. But even they said it is tough to get people switched to the quik trak, because most people that have looked into it around here are set in their ways. But I guess the dealer would be why I am choosing the deere.

Daniel's Lawn Care
12-11-2009, 10:35 AM

I weigh about 105 lbs.:laugh: That is the truth, believe it or not. I obviously don't have any trouble with the front coming up. Here is a picture.

grassman177
12-11-2009, 11:01 AM
damn you are a small dude???!!!! do you buy the smaller handhelds to accompany your size or are you a beast and use the bigger ones still. no offense, you are smaller than any of my employees and they sometimes grudge a bit at some of the heavier pieces of handhelds. i can see by thepics on here though you are a hard workin dude, keep it up man.

clinicalengineer
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
I just purchased a used Wright 36" fixed deck. So far, with the couple places i tried it out I am very pleased with the performance of the machine. Back in the day when i started cutting using the harry homeowner tractor on hills, i had her on some precarious angles while sitting on the fender to maintain traction. I think the stander is going to be an excellent addition to my fleet. I did not notice the front end wanting to lift on me under normal use and while leaning forward. However, When i was trying to do wheelies by shifting my weight way past the fulcrum it would lift off.

delphied
12-11-2009, 08:18 PM
You guys with your expertise in anti scalp wheels wont believe it I am sure but the 48 Grandstand with no anti scalp wheels is better than my old 48TTHP that has the anti scalp wheels when it comes to scalping issues. I have no idea why either. Any mower can scalp in the right circumstances.

unkownfl
12-11-2009, 11:57 PM
You guys with your expertise in anti scalp wheels wont believe it I am sure but the 48 Grandstand with no anti scalp wheels is better than my old 48TTHP that has the anti scalp wheels when it comes to scalping issues. I have no idea why either. Any mower can scalp in the right circumstances.

All the tires are closer together on a stander.

I weight just under 190 and the front end never comes up on mine unless I want it to. I stand on the back of mine up ramps into my f150 with no issues. I have a wright 36 fixed deck.

Anyone tried one of these yet?

http://scag.com/vride.html

unkownfl
12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Daniel are your trimmers and edgers hard to start having them upside down? mine tend to flood if I don't keep them upright.

Daniel's Lawn Care
12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Daniel are your trimmers and edgers hard to start having them upside down? mine tend to flood if I don't keep them upright.

Do you use Stihl trimmers? I have never had a flooding problem when turning them upside down.

Daniel's Lawn Care
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
damn you are a small dude???!!!! do you buy the smaller handhelds to accompany your size or are you a beast and use the bigger ones still. no offense, you are smaller than any of my employees and they sometimes grudge a bit at some of the heavier pieces of handhelds. i can see by thepics on here though you are a hard workin dude, keep it up man.

I'm a beast.:laugh: No offense taken. I enjoy the reaction I get when I tell people how much I weigh. Once I picked up two oak boards that were about 75 lbs apiece . . . at the same time . . . I also weigh more now than I did then. However I normally stick to things that weigh less than I do.

This is a retaining wall I built. The beveled block were 70 lbs and the block used to make the steps 90 lbs. I moved every single one of them.

grassman177
12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm a beast.:laugh: No offense taken. I enjoy the reaction I get when I tell people how much I weigh. Once I picked up two oak boards that were about 75 lbs apiece . . . at the same time . . . I also weigh more now than I did then. However I normally stick to things that weigh less than I do.

This is a retaining wall I built. The beveled block were 70 lbs and the block used to make the steps 90 lbs. I moved every single one of them.

i know about these blocks as i have built a few myself, some much larger and many more like that one. i cant do it like that anymore, getting old and crippled. it looks great to me, did you use concrete or ab3 with dust for the base? if you use anything else or nothing at all the wall will be moving within 2 years here. i would assume similar where you are!

unkownfl
12-13-2009, 07:45 PM
stihl fc90 edger and husky trimmer. The husky doesn't give me any issues just the edger.

Daniel's Lawn Care
12-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Did you use concrete or ab3 with dust for the base? If you use anything else or nothing at all the wall will be moving within 2 years here. I would assume similar where you are!

The VA state soil is red clay.:cry: I hate that stuff. I used 4" of compacted crush 'er run for my base. This is me laying the first block and me packing the base. I packed, packed, and packed some more.:dizzy:

demhustler
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM

One of the wright's that I demo'ed was the newer ZK, 61" if I remember correctly. That thing was amazing on hills. I took it places that would have flipped my ztr's and I felt perfectly safe on the ZK. It was just as fast as almost any ztr on the market at 13mph, so it was ideal on medium to large properties. And if you are going to be mowing some serious hills, this zk is the best thing on the market for hills, and there is no question about it either. This thing will hold a hill better than any other mower on the market and its available in 52" and 61" right now.

I also demo'ed a 48" wright RH. This was okay on a hill, not nearly as good as the ZK. It was kind of cool that when you changed the deck height the whole control tower and engine platform would lower as well, thus lowering the whole unit's center of gravity. But even with that, it still liked to spin a wheel every so often. But this mower was definately better on a hill than a traditional ztr.

And the last stand-on mower I demo'ed was the John Deere Quik-Trak. It was a 60" deck on it with the 23hp engine. I would say it was a little better than the wright RH but not as good as the ZK. The quik trak comes with a 48", 54" or 60" cutting deck and they are all mounted on the same frame, just a different deck. It was probably the most comfortable unit for me and the controls I felt were located better. It still would go places that I wouldn't take my ztrs. The quik trak has been out for a number of years, so it really has proven itself.

And after demoing all three mowers I made my decision on the john deere quik-trak as one of my next mowers.

M., after testing standers - 60'' heavy ZK better than 48''RH - because you can twist your body (as shown on theirs pictures) - on 60 better than on 48?
thank you

grassman177
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
now that is a job well done my friend in VA

mowerbrad
12-14-2009, 10:52 PM
M., after testing standers - 60'' heavy ZK better than 48''RH - because you can twist your body (as shown on theirs pictures) - on 60 better than on 48?
thank you

Okay, so I can't exactly understand what you are trying to communicate to me. But I will try my best. Are you asking why I liked the ZK better than the RH and if I could "lean" better on one unit than another?

The ZK's platform was a little more open than the RH so moving my body one way or another was much easier on this unit. The RH had a battery in the middle of the platform that was between your feet, so you can't really move around on that platform very well. Do I think that using your body weight to help stabilize you on a hill does much?...It does help to be able to lean but that is not the main reason the mower is good on a hill.

demhustler
12-16-2009, 04:05 AM
no, i'm saying - on heavy 60'' leaning your body affects performance - as piss in the wind; in light 48'' - it should more; yet - wright stander48'' worse than 60'' with all claims of it's "leaning" advantages ... (without even comparing it to w/b)

p.s. and than their "sentar" should be very bad - operator's center of gravity - not above rear wheels - "best position" (Standar page)
plus their midmount ztr also should be way inferior mower compare to their 60'' stander... strange...

Green Industry Pro
12-22-2009, 12:38 AM

Thanks alot you guys.

Scag does have one out.Im goin to adopt your thread.Im just starting out and Im looking to buy my first ztr.I have never used any ztr before but Im lookin at" Great Dane Super Surfer & John Deere EZ Track 425 which I know isnt commercial". Rather than me post a new thread and have people fuss at me like that guy did you , for the time being Im using your thread(no offense) LOL.Any opinions on standers(they dont have to be good on hills) or sit down ztrs would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Thanks:usflag::usflag::weightlifter::weightlifter::confused::confused::waving::dancing::walking:

JohnnyRocker
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Why did you think the RH and the ZK models handled differently?

ddixonlawncare
01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
I have a 52'' great dane super surfer with a 17hp kawasaki. It doesnt handle great on hills, but is light weight compared to a 52'' zero turn. We mainly use it on our smaller properties when we have alot of rain. Because it weighs 200-400 pounds less than our other zero turns we are able to mow accounts even if the ground is a little saturated. Other than that it just sits at the moment.

If you are not going to be mowing large properties, i would go with a 52'' zero turn. The main thing is find a mower that fits your needs, and has a good commercial warranty. Be sure to demo any mower you are interested in for at least a week so you can see how it really works for you.

Hope you have a great season.