PDA

View Full Version : When buying does model year matter?

Race495
12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Ok, here is the situation, I am looking at either a Wright Stander RH or a Sentar Sport, both 36" with Kaw 17hp.

Now both were produced in Aug 2007 (and according to Wright are 2007 models) and the dealer is saying that it doesn't matter when they were produced but when they are sold since there (according to him) have been no changes in the models (and that "model year" does not matter in mowers as it does in cars). What do you think?

I am of the opinion that they are 2007 models NOT 2009's so they are worth even less on resale even though purchased new in 2009.

How much less would you expect to pay for a "new" 2007 over a 2009?

I hope my rambling makes sense.....

topsites
12-09-2009, 12:07 PM
So you want to pay more for an older model than it cost the year it was made, after it's been sitting?

unkownfl
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
ask in the hustler section of this forum they will be able to help.

Race495
12-09-2009, 12:29 PM
So you want to pay more for an older model than it cost the year it was made, after it's been sitting?

No, I am asking if model year matters. I am not going to pay 2009 prices for a 2007 but I do want opinions and experiences on the matter.

unkownfl
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

go to the link I above and ask on there. They will tell you if the dealer should be giving you a break and how the warranty stuff will work.

Race495
12-09-2009, 12:46 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

go to the link I above and ask on there. They will tell you if the dealer should be giving you a break and how the warranty stuff will work.

Thanks but this isn't for a Hustler mower and seeing as how he couldn't ever take the time to get back to me on a simple question on the Hustler I do own I have no use to ask him questions on a Wright mower.

unkownfl
12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
LOL ops..................................................

lotsagrass
12-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I was in the same exact situation as you, but with a different brand...AND I didn't know it was an older unit. There are good arguments on both sides of the model year debate. Some will say it DOES matter because if you resell the unit later, even if there were NO changes to the model between the year it was built and the year a newer unit was built, the buyer may ask you what 'year' it is. If you lie and he/she looks up the serial number and find out you're lying, you just lost the sale. If you tell the truth about what year it was built, the buyer may still be put off because he may be thinking to himself, "hmmm...it's 2011 and this guy is selling me a 2007 mower so that means it has about 4 years of use. I don't know if I want to buy one that old." What about the HOURS?...you ask. Well, what about it? The buyer can reasonably wonder if you monkey'd with the hour meter as to why it's showing hours less than a normal 4 year old mower....or he may agree with you and understand the whole "Well, I bought it in 2009 even though it was made in 2007 so that's why there aren't as many hours" story. The fact of the matter is, it puts the burden on YOU to explain the whole goofy situation to the buyer. You can't just simply list the mower as a 2009 with XXX hours and be done with it. To be honest you have to go into the whole situation about how you bought it as an old leftover, bla, bla, bla. So that to me is the disadvantage for you.

On the other hand, assuming the warranty is the same as any other new unit, there's really nothing wrong with it, etc....there should be no issue.

The only issue I can see is if you go to resell it. Explaining the whole situation about the year or manufacture, model year, etc. Kinda puts you on the defensive in some ways.

Now for me, I bought another brand that was built in late 2006 and I just bought it a few weeks ago. :( I didn't know it was built in 2006 when I bought it. There's a long drawn out thread about that on here...LOL Dealer told me it was a 2008 leftover so I thought it was a little over a year old. Truth is, it was over 2 3/4 years old, but still new when I bought it. I asked another local dealer if the dealer that sold it to me should have known it was that old but he defended the other dealer saying he may very well have had one that old and not known it too since you can get older units from the distributors that are sometimes 2 years old. To me, I think they should have known. I think they just wanted to get rid of the dang thing and they stretched the truth if you ask me...LOL

Anyway, if you decide to buy it because you're ok with it being older, but still the same as the new model and there's nothing wrong with it, at the very least I'd try to get the price down some more. After all, would you go to the car dealer and pay the same price for a new car that's been sitting on the lot for 2 years or more even if there were no model year feature changes?....I seriously doubt it. I wouldn't buy that car at all unless it was a steal.