PDA

View Full Version : My truck, Dodge Ram 1500

JFGauvreau
12-09-2009, 05:03 PM
This is my truck I will use for my new business next year. I bought it in late august, pictures were taken during that time.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 2wd. 5.7L HEMI.

I will add more features in the spring for sure.

What do you think?

WH401
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice truck. I had an 04' 1500 before I bought the 06' I currently have. It was black w/ the sport paint scheme, 2wd, w/ a 4.10 rear end, & the 4.7 v8. It was a quick truck, but it sure sucked the fuel down, so much so that it would've been better having the Hemi.

M & MD Lawn
12-09-2009, 10:21 PM
why 2wd? but its a nice truck, eventho im gmc man

JFGauvreau
12-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Ya they say the HEMI 5.7 has better gas mileage than the 4.7

And 2wd, because the 4x4 was more expensive, more on insurance and on gas, and I don't need a 4x4, i'm only gonna be towing about 2000 pounds max.

Armstrong Lawn Service
12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Personally I prefer GMC as well, but it looks nice. I like the 5.7. I love having a nice looking truck, but I hate working with it because then I don't want to ruin it haha

360ci
12-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Looks good!!

I thought about trading in my '00 Durango R/T for a newer Ram, more so for the bed, and additional space overall. Still, my 'D' still treats me well and the manual shift full time transfer case cannot be had on new half ton models. Electronic units can be a b**** to maintain when they start to fail. I liked my old C1500 GMC only because it had better ride quality, but it was terrible in the snow.

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I have a lot of fun here in Canada with this 2wd in the snow lol.

But ya the truck will be very dirty when I start working, especially for asphalt sealing, I need a way to keep my truck's interior very clean with no sealant anywhere.

360ci
12-11-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a lot of fun here in Canada with this 2wd in the snow lol.

But ya the truck will be very dirty when I start working, especially for asphalt sealing, I need a way to keep my truck's interior very clean with no sealant anywhere.

I bought my '90 C1500 of my cousin for $2000 safetied and emissions tested. I was more or less limited in traction to my tires. It had newer SlickYear ATS tires on it, and they had maybe 4/32nds of tread left all around in 2003 when I sold it before the winter. It had 400K on the original 5.0L V8. Open differential would constantly do the one wheel peel when trying to climb hills, and as I owned a 24/7/365 business at the time, time was money and I had enough of spending it on the roads before the plows came out.

I wouldn't mind a 2wd V6 ext cab truck with the anti-spin, but the V8 in the winter was overkill. Ford no longer has a V6, and GM and Dodge offer it only in the lowest trim level. A shame really.

At least with asphalt sealing you should have a constant weight in the back to aid in traction! My ol' C1500 had NOTHING in the back, except a sheet of plywood to cover the bed floor. lol

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 09:11 PM
No if your talking about those 300 or so gallons tank of sealant, the 100 feet of hose, the engine ect, (the sealant equipment mounted to the back) I plan on putting that in an enclosed trailer, if I leave it on the back of my truck, it might spilled and get my truck VERY dirty. I'll put tarps in my trailer and put the sealing equipment there, also with an enclosed trailer, it is more safe.

360ci
12-11-2009, 09:18 PM
No if your talking about those 300 or so gallons tank of sealant, the 100 feet of hose, the engine ect, (the sealant equipment mounted to the back) I plan on putting that in an enclosed trailer, if I leave it on the back of my truck, it might spilled and get my truck VERY dirty. I'll put tarps in my trailer and put the sealing equipment there, also with an enclosed trailer, it is more safe.

That makes sense. I was wondering to myself why you didn't have a 3/4 ton truck if you're constantly carrying that weight around. Then again, hitch weight also aids in traction in the snow.

I saw a 2500 Chev in the ditch yesterday morning, he had a good 16-28' tandem axle cargo trailer hooked on the back. I imagine it had some weight, as by the looks of the skid marks (in the snow), he braked too fast and the trailer ended up pushing the truck sideways. This morning, I saw a transport truck that was in a similar situation, but the trailer was upright with the landing gear broken, and the tractor was on it's side in the ditch. At least they ditched the vehicle instead of ramming it into some unfortunate soul. Skid school is a beautiful thing.

pitrack
12-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks good, I used to have an 05' Hemi. Truck looks really clean for an 03'. Good luck with it.

South Florida Lawns
12-13-2009, 05:55 PM
boy now thats a purdy truck there, too fancy for me to work out of tho.

360ci
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
boy now thats a purdy truck there, too fancy for me to work out of tho.

Too fancy? Looks stock to me! Besdies, ain't that aftermarket chrome rims on the truck in your avatar????

South Florida Lawns
12-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Too fancy? Looks stock to me! Besdies, ain't that aftermarket chrome rims on the truck in your avatar????

Thats my personal truck, my guys drive the dump truck for landscaping.

360ci
12-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Thats my personal truck, my guys drive the dump truck for landscaping.

Oh OK. A lot of folks use personal trucks who have a smaller lawn business...as I do. I still manage to modify it a little as it's utterly a write off. I definitely wouldn't add large wheels/tires to my everyday driver though. That's mostly because I've had problems in the past with thefts and vandalism.

Lawn Man Dave
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Ya they say the HEMI 5.7 has better gas mileage than the 4.7

And 2wd, because the 4x4 was more expensive, more on insurance and on gas, and I don't need a 4x4, i'm only gonna be towing about 2000 pounds max.

Just hope you never need to pull a mower out of a lake on a steep grade or soft ground........... your average retention pond will be fine with 2WD but if it is raining or has rained be carefull....... but yeah you don't really need 4WD for lawn care.........

I like 4WD just for re-sale value and the winter........... 2WD trucks are a dime a dozen and it seems not many people want them........ at least in the states were it snow's..........

360ci
12-15-2009, 07:40 PM
So far this winter has been decent. I could have gotten away wtih a 2wd if I knew it was going to be this nice. However, I commute to northern Ontario a few times throughout the winter, and 4wd is worth it's weight in gold. If I stayed local throughout the winter a V6 2wd ext cab would be just fine. If I had to get a new 2wd daily driver, and for lawncare, I'd get a Ram Hemi as well. You can get the 3.21 gears (lower than GMs 3.08), and she turns a nice 1500rpm @60 mph. Still, no one beats GM trucks yet for ride quality, loaded or not. A 4.3L V6 ext cab 2wd short box would do fine to tow up to 5K, and has the highest payload capacity in it's class (in base form).

I really never thought about 4wd helping resale. I know I'd never buy a used 4x4, unless the owner can provide me with maintenance records from new.

verant
12-15-2009, 07:51 PM
u live in Canada? and u dont have 4wd on this Ram? now that is goona be bad. the back end of trucks are sooo light, you will be spinning tires on just accelerating over some ice/snow.

punt66
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
u live in Canada? and u dont have 4wd on this Ram? now that is goona be bad. the back end of trucks are sooo light, you will be spinning tires on just accelerating over some ice/snow.

Thats why you put weight in the bed.

verant
12-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Thats why you put weight in the bed.

That still doesnt do much. I have 280 lbs in the back of my f150. If you drive aggressively at all, u will still spin some. I have good tires too.

punt66
12-15-2009, 08:23 PM
dont drive aggressively in the snow. If your not plowing a 4x4 isnt needed.

360ci
12-15-2009, 08:40 PM
The only problem I had with my old GM C1500, was the tires. The open differential I could handle with no problem, but GoodYear ATS tires are NOT the tire to have in the winter, they did have 35% tread left too, but were still terrible. I replaced the Wrangler HP tires on my Durango (4wd) two years ago and they had 50% tread left, but were useless in the snow, and on the trails in the summer months. BFG all around, and I've never looked back since.

Panhead
12-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Nice truck! Keep it clean.

360ci
12-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Any 2wd if driven properly will be fine in snow. if I had decent tires on my old Sierra, I'm sure it would've performed a lot better. Just trying to climb hills with bad tires, open differential and ice covered roads with a touch of snow on top takes a lot of patience!

JFGauvreau
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Ya I have brand new tire and nothing in my bed and I don't spin at all, thats because I don't try to spin. But ya I agree you can still get stuck easily here in canada with that 2wd truck, but hey, i'm only gonna be using this truck for summer and its gonna be able to tow what I need.