PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fixture

worx
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I need some exterior recessed can lights. They will be on line voltage but I would like to use a fixture with integrated transformer to allow for low voltage lamp use. Any ideas? I need the same for a wall sconce also.

Thanks for the help fella's,

emby
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Best recessed low voltage can on the market. If installing them outside be sure to order the trim kits with the MG option which is Marine Grade.

http://www.contrastlighting.com/en/prod.htm

Ken

worx
12-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks Emby.

I had been looking at Lightoliers but have no experience with either Contrast or Lightolier. Which models do you prefer......and why?

emby
12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks Emby.

I had been looking at Lightoliers but have no experience with either Contrast or Lightolier. Which models do you prefer......and why?

A few things in regards to the Contrast Low Voltage line. These fixtures are very well made. The steel is good and sturdy all around not like the box store products. A vast selection of trim styles and colour finishes. All the trims fit snug into the fixture housing so no need to worry about the trim falling out. I have been impressed (and thats sometimes hard to do with me) as I have installed hundreds of these with zero failures or problems.

The retro fit low voltage housing such as the IT300LM is the easiest for installation. Cut your hole in the facia or drywall, connect your romex, push it up into the hole and with a drill and a 6 inch robby bit turn the screws till its snug in place.

The transformers are magnetic so if you are going to use a dimmer switch it HAS to be a magnetic low voltage dimmer. (Just for any one else who is reading this..magnetic transformers-magnetic dimmers, electronic transformers-electronic dimmers)
When choosing your model such as the IT3000 series the letters on the end dictate the Max. Wattage of the housing. The LM series that I mentioned above has a max. of 50 watts.
Truly a top notch fixture for both retro and new applications.
Hope this helped.

Ken

emby
12-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Here is a PDF of the retro can.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Nice to see that someone else here (finally) endorses Contrast Lighting! I have been using nothing but Contrast for all of my interior and exterior recessed pot lights since day one. Their trim options make them the best in the business.

It was my constant pushing and prodding that finally got them to adopt the "MG" (Marine Grade) designation for their paint grade trims. The now dip the entire trim in a clear poly sealant in order to halt any corrosion. For the longest time my vendors would always scratch their head when they saw MG tacked onto the end of the trim spec. Slowly it is becoming known around here, although there is still no mention of the MG option in their literature.

Also note that the IT3000 can comes in three different heights. You can order it at IT3000M = 5.x Inches tall, IT3000CM = 3.x inches tall, and IT3000LM = 7.x inches tall. This makes it more flexible for those hard to fit applications in soffits and other places.

(Ken, it was great to finally meet you this past Monday at the Landscape Ontario Lighting Group meeting. We all look forward to your participation and input.)

emby
12-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks James. Looking forward to being a part of the group as well.

Ken

worx
12-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the info Ken. I have been looking through the Contrast site for some possible options. James is right, either I am overlooking it or they do not designate the "MG" code to there trim packages.

I may have a few more questions later.

emby
12-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Any time Steve.

Ken