PDA

View Full Version : Scag Clam-shell Bagger Questions

greenred
12-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I have a Scag Turf Tiger with a 61inch Velocity Plus Deck. I have been tossing around the idea of getting the Clam-shell bagger from Scag. .

I was hoping I could get a few questions answered on here about them.

1. How much do they cost?

2. Does running with one noticeably increase fuel consumption

3. Does running the impeller drastically decrease pulley and spindle life?

4. Is it still possible to access the engine reasonably and do maintenance like oil changes with the Clam-shell bagger mounted?

5. If not, is it relatively easy and quick for one man to remove the Clam-shell bagger to access the engine area?

6. How hard is it to remove the impeller so you can revert back to normal discharge.

7. Are the units well made and will they hold up for the life of the mower if taken care of?

I am going to be using this for personal use and I am trying to decide if it wouldnt just be better to just buy a used mower with a bagger for when I need one or commit to getting a bagger for my Scag.

greenred
12-10-2009, 12:53 AM
I found a used Sacg Cougar for sale with 600 some hours for 1500 dollars. I am tempted to pick it up. Its just for personal use and is one more tractor added to my collection. What say you guys?

1. Spend extra on a Clam-shell bagger for my Scag

2. Buy a used Scag Cougar for 1500 dollars and have a one dedicated mower for general mowing and one for bagging?

3. Stay home and eat Scooby snacks and dont spend any money?

That is a Scag Cougar for those of you who dont know.
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3218/scrbigbeauty.jpg (http://img687.imageshack.us/i/scrbigbeauty.jpg/) http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/scrbigbeauty.jpg/1/w400.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img687/scrbigbeauty.jpg/1/)

greenred
12-10-2009, 02:17 AM
Correction - The mower I found is a Turf Runner , which predates the Cougar.

Kutz Lawns
12-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I would have said that was one hell of a deal for the Cougar until I kept reading and you said it's a Turf Runner!

Even if it's a Turf Runner it still might be a good deal but the motor might be a little smaller because the Cougar will have a Kohlor 25 Command Pro as standard.

I do know on the Cougar you will have either the option to side discharge or mulch or pick up all with the same deck which is a big plus, & you can't go wrong!

Offer him less and see where it goes, either machine is great for grass & leaf pick up!

Cheers

greenred
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Bummer I called the dealer with the Turf Runner and it has already been sold.

I called my local Scag Dealer today and priced the Clam-shell bagger out.

$3,000 for the clam-shell bagger and $2700 for the cloth bagger.

They really make a mint on the accessories.

Sharps_lawn&landscaping
12-11-2009, 10:51 PM
i have an 08 scag turf tiger with the 3 shell cloth bagger. I love it when fall clean ups are here. I went with the bags because i can not always dump my at some yards. Just more convient to pull up to where you want and take the bags off at dump them. Clam shell is good if you can drop the leaves in the woods or can drag a tarp. Hard to handle large pile of leaves on tarps even with more than one person and have to pick them up onto a trailer. The bagger works good but when leaves are very thick it the tube will get clogged up as any mower would

ALC-GregH
12-12-2009, 08:33 AM
i have an 08 scag turf tiger with the 3 shell cloth bagger. I love it when fall clean ups are here. I went with the bags because i can not always dump my at some yards. Just more convient to pull up to where you want and take the bags off at dump them. Clam shell is good if you can drop the leaves in the woods or can drag a tarp. Hard to handle large pile of leaves on tarps even with more than one person and have to pick them up onto a trailer. The bagger works good but when leaves are very thick it the tube will get clogged up as any mower would

The tube on my Scag has only clogged up if I keep chopping the leaves and the bags are full.

Sharps_lawn&landscaping
12-13-2009, 04:25 PM
thats pretty much true here. I lover mine. If you get in some really deep leaves that are wet it will clog anything up out there. Thats the only time it will mine if you try to go over a really thick pile to fast.