PDA

View Full Version : BR 600 use in cold weather? Any problems?

Goetso
12-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I just aquired a Br 600 blower and I have to say, so far I am prety impressed w it. Definitly does have some power, does like to drink alot too. My question is regarding the use of this thing in weather colder than the 15 degrees recomended by Stihl after the shutter valve position movement. These things are awesome for moving a few inches of snow. Is there any kind of a jetting change for this, or has EPA done away with any tuning possibilities already!? Thanx in advance.

Richard Martin
12-10-2009, 08:57 AM
There is no shutter valve on a BR600. It sounds like you're trying to extend chain saw operation over to the BR600 and that doesn't apply. You should be able to use the BR600 in any temp that you can get it started in. I'd think that you DO NOT REV the engine up for at least 2 to 3 minutes after a sub freezing start.

The only reason for the shutter valve is to keep the carb from freezing up.

I have read accounts of people trashing piston rings on 2 strokes (the BR600 is a 4 stroke with 2 stroke style oiling) by starting them up in cold weather and then immediately revving the heck out of them. It drives me nuts when my Stihl dealer does that to my equipment. If you let the blower sit and warm up a bit you should be fine.

Your new BR600 will start to use less fuel and have slightly more power as it breaks in. It could take up to 10 tanks of fuel to break in completely.

WH401
12-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Actually, there is a shutter valve on the BR600. If you look in your manual under "winter operation", it suggest to move, (first remove the air cleaner cover, and then the air cleaner), the shutter to the winter position (move it over so that it exposes the hole opening inside the air cleaner housing), in temperatures that are below 50 degrees F. In temperature above 68 F it suggests that you move the shutter back to the summer position (move it over so that the exposed hole is now covered), or it could cause the engine to over heat. I have to say I think I did this once last year, but couldn't tell a difference between doing it and not doing it. Really the engine should run fine whether you do it or not. Just give it a few minutes to idle/fast idle before you take off at full throttle.

Fuel usage should improve once the engine breaks in a little. It's most likely that you simply think your using a lot of fuel, when really you aren't. That's just the psychological effect the smaller fuel tank of the BR600 has on the operator.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-10-2009, 09:43 AM
There is no shutter valve on a BR600. It sounds like you're trying to extend chain saw operation over to the BR600 and that doesn't apply. You should be able to use the BR600 in any temp that you can get it started in. I'd think that you DO NOT REV the engine up for at least 2 to 3 minutes after a sub freezing start.

The only reason for the shutter valve is to keep the carb from freezing up.

I have read accounts of people trashing piston rings on 2 strokes (the BR600 is a 4 stroke with 2 stroke style oiling) by starting them up in cold weather and then immediately revving the heck out of them. It drives me nuts when my Stihl dealer does that to my equipment. If you let the blower sit and warm up a bit you should be fine.

Your new BR600 will start to use less fuel and have slightly more power as it breaks in. It could take up to 10 tanks of fuel to break in completely.

In his defense some of the older units did not come with shutter valves. This was quickly changed and added. And is currently found on all BR500/550/600 models.

Jason Rose
12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I finally opened my shutter valve on mine this fall, first time since I bought it 3 years ago. I can't say that I noticed much difference in how it ran on cold days, but I really wasn't paying that much attention I suppose. I guess preheating the air going into the carb can't hurt, which is what I assume the valve does when open.

I've not had a problem runnng mine in the cold for powdery snow, though it dosn't like to start when it's close to ZERO out!

Richard Martin
12-10-2009, 12:57 PM
In his defense some of the older units did not come with shutter valves. This was quickly changed and added. And is currently found on all BR500/550/600 models.

Thanks Derek. I thought I was going crazy there for a sec. Mine doesn't have one.

STIHL GUY
12-10-2009, 07:59 PM
i havnt got to use mine in the cold yet. the snow we got yesterday was mixed with a ton of rain and it was way too heavy

Two Seasons
12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
When fueling your BR600, tip the fuel tank and fill it almost to the top. I used to fill it when the blower was level, but tipping the unit will put alot more fuel in there.

Make sure you run 93 octane with Stihl HP Ultra oil---the white bottle. It makes a BIG difference in performance!

WH401
12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
When fueling your BR600, tip the fuel tank and fill it almost to the top. I used to fill it when the blower was level, but tipping the unit will put alot more fuel in there.

I've actually started doing the same thing and the run time is noticeably longer.

bigredd
12-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Make sure you run 93 octane with Stihl HP Ultra oil---the white bottle. It makes a BIG difference in performance!

Please be aware that you need to run the Blower immediately after topping it off like that. If you store it over night completely full, the flippy cap has a pressure release built in and will open due to pressure. You will get a wet surprise next time pick it up if you don't check the fuel cap.

Ask me how I know.

PLS-Tx
12-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Please be aware that you need to run the Blower immediately after topping it off like that. If you store it over night completely full, the flippy cap has a pressure release built in and will open due to pressure. You will get a wet surprise next time pick it up if you don't check the fuel cap.

Ask me how I know.

We top our BR 600's off every evening, with the blowers hanging on a hook in the trailer. We hang them tilted so we can fill the tank as full as possible.

We have never had any problems that I know of.

We just HATE THE CAPS, but that's another subject.

Richard Martin
12-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Please be aware that you need to run the Blower immediately after topping it off like that. If you store it over night completely full, the flippy cap has a pressure release built in and will open due to pressure. You will get a wet surprise next time pick it up if you don't check the fuel cap. Ask me how I know.

I've had my BR600 since 2005 and it's never done this. I suspect you did not put the cap on properly. It happens. Ask me how I know.

WH401
12-12-2009, 11:36 AM

Ask me how I know.

I've never had this happen either. If it was possible for it to occur I would expect it to happen when the blower is sitting in the sun or a hot enclosure that allows the pressure in the tank to build up, particularly during the summer months and not the winter.

ALC-GregH
12-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Isn't this common sense? I've always done this on anything I'm filling up, not just a small engine fuel tank.

PLS-Tx
12-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Isn't this common sense? I've always done this on anything I'm filling up, not just a small engine fuel tank.

Well, common sense is just not very common these days. :laugh: