PDA

View Full Version : AOLP Conference

eskerlite
12-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Anyone thinking about the aolp conference should take advantage of the early sign up and save some money. The more the merrier! Make it happen if you can. aolponline.org.:canadaflag::usflag::):):):):):)

worx
12-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Wish I could,..........perhaps next year

Terradek
12-14-2009, 11:37 AM
The AOLP Conference is Scheduled for Jan. 25 - 30. There will be CLVLT certification exams and COLD (Design Program) classes given on the 25th and 26th. The conference portion of the event is scheduled on the 27th - 30th of Jan.

As Sean mentioned conference early registration is scheduled to close on Jan 10.

Give yourself a gift for the holidays
and register now for the
2010 AOLP Annual Meeting!

2010 AOLP Annual Meeting
January 25-30, 2010
El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel
San Antonio, Texas

Online Registration Now Open!

Don't forget these additional professional development events happening at the Annual Meeting:

Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician (CLVLT)
Exam: Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Certified Outdoor Lighting Designer (COLD)
Years 1 & 3 Sessions: Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Register today for this important industry event!

4305 North Sixth Street, Suite A, Harrisburg, PA 17110 www.aolponline.org | Toll Free: 888-845-8542 | Local: 717-238-2504 | Fax: 717-238-9985

trailboss
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Looks like there are a few things there that I would like to attend.

So, if I want to get the full meal deal its???
$175.00 Individual Membership
$395.00 Conference Registration
$385.00 CLVLT Exam
$150.00 COLD Course
+ Expenses
-----------------------------

Thanks, Steve

msouthard
12-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Steve

That would be correct. Your registration fee covers all the classes, lunches and all the networking you can do in three days. I think you will find it well worth your time. Hope you will be there.

Mike Southard
AOLP Board

niteliters
12-16-2009, 11:50 PM
the C.O.L.D. class is offering year one. it's a three year course so if you're interested now is a great time to sign up. go to the website www.aolponline.org to see what else is going to be offered.

NightScenes
12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
I'll be there. I've talked to several people here in Texas and it looks like the Lone Star State will be well represented at conference this year.

Lite4
12-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I would like to go, but I have a trade show from Jan. 29th - Feb. 7th. Not sure how I could swing it with the show looming.

Anybody know when and where lightfare 2010 is being held?

Terradek
12-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Lightfair is May 10 - 14 in Las Vegas...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I would like to go, but I have a trade show from Jan. 29th - Feb. 7th. Not sure how I could swing it with the show looming.

Anybody know when and where lightfare 2010 is being held?

Back to Vegas in May 2010, then NYC in 2011. I will be there in May with my installers and a couple of friends... If you are going to go lets be sure to meet up, share a meal, etc.

Regards

Lite4
12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I will definitely be at light fair this year and probably next also. I may get to the AOLP conference yet. I am working on simpliflying our booths for rapid setup.

NightScenes
12-18-2009, 09:38 AM
It would be great to see you at the AOLP conference Tim.

msouthard
12-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Dont forget there is also some fun scheduled, see below:

BOARD BUS FOR OFF-SITE TOUR TO NATURAL BRIDGE CAVERNS
1:45 p.m. ARRIVE AT NATURAL BRIDGE CAVERNS ILLUMINATIONS TOUR
See some of the most rare and delicate formaons found in Natural Bridge Caverns. This
tour spans two huge underground chambers that are dramacally lit with a state-of-theart
light system using both light and darkness to enhance the experience. These passages
are highly decorated with extremely rare formaons, unusually long ‘soda straw’
stalactes, waves of ‘cave ribbon’ and a profusion of intriguing ‘welt and turnip shields’.

niteliters
12-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I will definitely be at light fair this year and probably next also. I may get to the AOLP conference yet. I am working on simpliflying our booths for rapid setup.

hope you can make it Tim. Be great to put a face and hand shake to your name. you're in indianapolis, correct, just several hours north of me. Maybe you can sign up for the c.o.l.d. class, year one.

Lite4
12-31-2009, 12:47 AM
hope you can make it Tim. Be great to put a face and hand shake to your name. you're in indianapolis, correct, just several hours north of me. Maybe you can sign up for the c.o.l.d. class, year one.

Do I have to order study material for the COLD class or do I just get it there. I hadn't really thought of doing it, but it could be fun.

msouthard
12-31-2009, 01:05 AM
There is really no study material to order. The main reference manual is Jan Moyer's Landscape Lighting Book, so you would need to have that. There will be assignments for each level.

klkanders
12-31-2009, 01:17 AM
Chris, Paul, Mike,
Good to see you guys back on here! I sure have missed your input, advice and opinions.
Does this mean we will be seeing more of you here going forward? :)
It was great meeting you in AZ. but I will have to pass on San Antonio in January.....maybe next time.
Take Care!

msouthard
12-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Keith

Sorry we wont see you this year, hopefully next year we will see you back in Phoenix....we have to go back there one more year. After that we are free to go anywhere. Will try to be on here atleast if it has to do with AOLP.

Lite4
12-31-2009, 08:10 AM
I love Phonenix, it is the perfect place for a conference.

msouthard
01-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I love Phoenix too, we just needed a change this year......Happy New Year

The Lighting Geek
01-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to the conference. I am starting my savings account today so I can go next year. I hope you all have fun!

niteliters
01-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Do I have to order study material for the COLD class or do I just get it there. I hadn't really thought of doing it, but it could be fun.

Sorry for slow response tim, family in town for the holidays. You got your answer from Mike. I think you would find it fun. What I have enjoyed most about the classes is being surrounded by passionate designers at all levels. There are people in the class with different levels of experience but i have found that knowledge can come from any of them. As they say, there is more than one way to paint a picture.

niteliters
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Vista is sending someone to the conference this year. They have been a sponsor for a long time. Glad to have them coming. If you install their product it would be a great time to have some one on one with them.

niteliters
01-05-2010, 12:57 PM
If you have never installed Vista, you will have an opportunity to meet and discuss their products and what they have to offer with one of their vise presidents.

niteliters
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
sorry....vice presidents

niteliters
01-06-2010, 10:53 AM
anyof you out there looking for an edge this coming spring and going forward should sign up for the cold (certified outdoor lighting designer) class. Most of us can measure and draw and can put together some sort of "as built" information packet that we've taught ourselves or gleaned from someone else but this class has been very useful to me in creating a packet/drawing that is. My degree is in housing design and I thought I new a thing or two about putting together an archtectual drawing with as built supporting info. I have learned, and as important am taking what my company already does and morphing the 2 together. This is the year 2 assignment. Year 1 was a great introduction. I believe this class can useful in setting you apart from your competition.

niteliters
01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
time is growing short, if you want to seperate yourself from much of your competition, you need to attend this conference. I have been to 5 conferences and I believe, as a contractor, this one is going to be one of the best

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Chris, the overwhelming majority of your posts here on this forum have to do with promoting the AOLP and the AOLP conference. Have they put you on the payroll? :)

How many people have registered for the conference this year? I would assume given the state of the economy that attendance might be a bit lower than in the past. Seems like most trade shows and conferences are suffering a bit this past year.

Perhaps locating the conference in a central HUB city sometime soon ( I hear it is back to Scottsdale next year?) would help encourage those more distant to attend.

trailboss
01-16-2010, 11:40 PM
anyof you out there looking for an edge this coming spring and going forward should sign up for the cold (certified outdoor lighting designer) class. Most of us can measure and draw and can put together some sort of "as built" information packet that we've taught ourselves or gleaned from someone else but this class has been very useful to me in creating a packet/drawing that is. My degree is in housing design and I thought I new a thing or two about putting together an archtectual drawing with as built supporting info. I have learned, and as important am taking what my company already does and morphing the 2 together. This is the year 2 assignment. Year 1 was a great introduction. I believe this class can useful in setting you apart from your competition.

So, its a 3 year class?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-16-2010, 11:48 PM
So, its a 3 year class?

Yes, the COLD certification is a 3 year process. You must complete all three years consecutively by attending the conference and the prescribed programs. There is some 'homework' and required reading to do between the sessions.

The attendance portion is a heck of a burden / expense given the relative obscurity of the certification you receive. (in my opinion).

trailboss
01-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Sorry, I should have just read a little more on the website.

Successful completion of this program will take a total of four (4) years and involves the submittal of various growth projects, personal study and a final presentation project to a group of peers.

Lite4
01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I like the idea of the AOLP, but I am still on the fence about it's certification programs and their relevance to my customer base.* A good portfolio and some quality time getting to know the clients generally puts their mind at ease that they have chosen the right person for their job.* I guess the certification is nice if someone wants to see a piece of paper, but I have never had anyone ever ask to see one.* I am certainly in no way anti-AOLP, but I am still just on the fence about it.* I still havn't seen enough compelling reasons to join.* I am certainly open to being persuaded and convinced of their effficacy though.

RLI Electric
01-17-2010, 09:56 PM
It's funny, I joined the AOLP and I see more about the organization here than I do on it's own website. I have to say I am not as active with the organization as I probably should be but it does confuse me why there is more correspondence on this free website than there is on the one that I paid membership dues to belong. This is not a complaint, just an observation.

Lite4
01-17-2010, 11:11 PM
It's funny, I joined the AOLP and I see more about the organization here than I do on it's own website. I have to say I am not as active with the organization as I probably should be but it does confuse me why there is more correspondence on this free website than there is on the one that I paid membership dues to belong. This is not a complaint, just an observation.

Here is one case in point about my observations.

RLI Electric
01-17-2010, 11:19 PM
I have a friend of mine, another electrical contractor, who went for a CLC certification. Certified Lighting Consultant. It cost I think around $500.00, months of studying and having to get written recommendations. One of the recommendations he got was from a real high end architect out of NYC. He wrote the recommendation but asked my friend what a CLC was. He decided at that moment it was nothing more than letters. If a high end architect did not know what it meant then what did it really mean? Long story short, he took the test and failed. When he called to ask where, they told him to submit a check for more money and they would "review it" or something to that effect. Nevertheless, he was told that upon "review" most people end up passing. Things that make you go hmmmm.

niteliters
01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Chris, the overwhelming majority of your posts here on this forum have to do with promoting the AOLP and the AOLP conference. Have they put you on the payroll? :)

How many people have registered for the conference this year? I would assume given the state of the economy that attendance might be a bit lower than in the past. Seems like most trade shows and conferences are suffering a bit this past year.

Perhaps locating the conference in a central HUB city sometime soon ( I hear it is back to Scottsdale next year?) would help encourage those more distant to attend.

sorry for slow response, out of town. I guess my motivation to chat this up comes from both just being a contractor member to serving on the board. I have had the same issues/questions that you and others have raised but also continue to see the potential so I soldier on. I am not going to start my own assossiation and the AOLP has much to offer. We have had growth this past year and I think we are going to experience more in 2010. Sitting on the board has given me a perspective to be encouraged. The attendance this year will be up from last year. I think moving to San Antonio is helpful and attendance last year was poor. After Scottsdale next year, we'll work to have it near a major hub. more later

niteliters
01-18-2010, 11:12 AM
I like the idea of the AOLP, but I am still on the fence about it's certification programs and their relevance to my customer base.* A good portfolio and some quality time getting to know the clients generally puts their mind at ease that they have chosen the right person for their job.* I guess the certification is nice if someone wants to see a piece of paper, but I have never had anyone ever ask to see one.* I am certainly in no way anti-AOLP, but I am still just on the fence about it.* I still havn't seen enough compelling reasons to join.* I am certainly open to being persuaded and convinced of their effficacy though.

set the certifications aside, the conference, for me, has been a time visit with, in person, the other lighting people from around the country and canada that share your passion. they might be above or below your skill level but they have the passion. exchanging ideas, like we do on this site, but in person. Maybe it's me, but I get so much from the exchange of ideas atthe conference. It's also a time to sit and tlk to distributors and manu's about your thoughts and ideas and hear theirs.

niteliters
01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I have a friend of mine, another electrical contractor, who went for a CLC certification. Certified Lighting Consultant. It cost I think around $500.00, months of studying and having to get written recommendations. One of the recommendations he got was from a real high end architect out of NYC. He wrote the recommendation but asked my friend what a CLC was. He decided at that moment it was nothing more than letters. If a high end architect did not know what it meant then what did it really mean? Long story short, he took the test and failed. When he called to ask where, they told him to submit a check for more money and they would "review it" or something to that effect. Nevertheless, he was told that upon "review" most people end up passing. Things that make you go hmmmm.

I think that outdoorlighting as a stand alone business is still in it's infancy, the challenge has been that quick growth can cause an organaztion to lose control of or have it's goals hi-jacked. I would encourage you to come to a conference and find out for yourself what "you" think. Some love it, some don't find it useful. In these economic times I think it's worth the shot that there might be something out there that can help you stand out from your competition. I think you might develop good networking contacts. I, for example, am going down early to spend a couple of days with a fellow AOLP member. See some of his work, maybe learn some things. He, along with other members have always been available for questions thru the years. I wouldn't probably be calling them if I didn't meet and get to know them at conference

RLDesign
01-18-2010, 01:24 PM
It will be $1600 for me to attend this year. I had to choose this or pay more than double to go to Jan's class. I will see George's techniques at the conference so it should work out well, just the same. I am thinking that there are some faces that need to be attached to names and I am hoping to gain to knowledge and contacts.

I am a big supporter of LED lamps vs. fixtures, and thus I have been purchasing from LEDLightsDirect. I am excited to go, but man I hate being away from my family and can't stand travelling. I will report back on whether the investment was worth the time and travel.

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting

Who here are IDA involved/members?

niteliters
01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Looking forward to meeting Tanek.

msouthard
01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Tanek,

Glad your coming, I believe you will see a lot of LED options at the Expo. I think you will find your investment worthwhile. I know what you mean about traveling, I am on the road 60% of the time....it gets old.

RLDesign
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Looking forward to meeting Tanek.

Looking forward to meeting you as well. I have admired your work for awhile.

Talk soon.

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting

RLDesign
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
So I booked my flight today to AOLP meeting and Expo and 10 hrs of travel is my shortest trip to San Antonio going one way. Wtf!! It should be a good time. It will be nice to meet some people in the industry.

Talk soon. Tanek

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Who here are IDA involved/members?

Hi Tanek... I was an IDA member for a number of years but lost touch with the organization over time. It was through the IDA that I became "self educated" in the art of Dark Sky Friendly Lighting... way before most people had heard about Dark Sky anything!

They continue to soldier on and have spread their focus away from astronomy issues exclusively. You can learn a LOT from the content of their website and links.

Regards

P.S. If anyone has any questions about Dark Sky Friendly Lighting Systems, (Or as I call them now, Environmentally Friendly Lighting Systems - EFLS) please feel free to ask. I have 'been there and done that' more than probably any other lighting guy in N. America. Biggest feather in my cap was getting Wal-Mart to convert their outdoor lighting systems to DSF... that was quite the story back in the day. :dizzy:

niteliters
01-18-2010, 06:39 PM
So I booked my flight today to AOLP meeting and Expo and 10 hrs of travel is my shortest trip to San Antonio going one way. Wtf!! It should be a good time. It will be nice to meet some people in the industry.

Talk soon. Tanek

what time/day do u arrive?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey Chris... since you are here.

(Edit)

Just checked my calendar... Booked to speak on the 28th and am working the Winter Carnival on the 30th. Maybe next year. :)

Regards

msouthard
01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Tanek, Ten hours, that is quite the trip, where are you connecting, has to be HOUSTON?

James, where are you speaking at and what is the Winter Carnival?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I am speaking at the Bridges to Better Business event being hosted here in Muskoka. http://www.muskokasmallbusiness.ca/main2.cfm?id=36633EA3-FB0B-5A4F-6DDFF78AD9F88473 and http://www.muskokasmallbusiness.ca/main2.cfm?id=28BE5990-A93D-4AE0-5B18018209884BDE

Then on Saturday I am sponsoring and volunteering at the Port Sydney Winter Carnival. Just found out we have house guests for that weekend too. http://www.portsydneycofc.com/events58.htm

Enjoy the conference.

msouthard
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
James

Nice write up on your company! We will certainly enjoy, I hope the weather cooperates. I as in San Antonio in December for the IA show and it snowed.

niteliters
01-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Hey Chris... since you are here.

(Edit)

Just checked my calendar... Booked to speak on the 28th and am working the Winter Carnival on the 30th. Maybe next year. :)

Regards

I'll start reminding you Feb. 1st :)

RLDesign
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Hello Chris,

Thanks for asking. I just talked Keith at Utah Lights. We have stayed close since NU. I am taking part in COLD year one which starts Weds the 28th morning. I am arriving on the 27th sometime during the day. It should be a good time to say hello and I am looking forward to George Gruels photo instructional probably more than anything. I can get there the day before if there is some good reason...

Have the AOLP considered offering 2 sections of the certification classes for each year? That way it would be easier and more affordable for some guys to take the classes. Also, the benefit to offering each year of each certification every year would allow others to complete in a quicker time frame. I would certainly do 2-3 workstudies per year and attend a meeting every year if I could get my certification in 2 years. The 3-4 year thing is a little long. If there was some way to organize local chapters, that is something that could benefit a lot of contractors. I have considered the AOLP administration to be very organized this year - I found it much easier to communicate and do business with them. This is a vast improvement from last year. I also felt like they reached out to us more professionally in print and online, and the awards were much more organized. I was impressed for 2009, and it is the major reason I am attending the conference.

Best regards,

Tanek

Terradek
01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I have considered the AOLP administration to be very organized this year - I found it much easier to communicate and do business with them. This is a vast improvement from last year. I also felt like they reached out to us more professionally in print and online, and the awards were much more organized. I was impressed for 2009, and it is the major reason I am attending the conference.

Best regards,

Tanek

Tanek,
Good to hear that you will be in SA...sorry about the travel hurdles...it will be all worth it once you arrive though.

Thanks for the positive strokes on the organizational improvements we have implemented. After a few stumbles out of the gate the first year we are very pleased at the level of professionalism that our Management team is providing. As a volunteer organization it is often difficult to establish continuity in our efforts but our new team has helped immensely to establish a positive momentum for the organization.

Your suggestions are right on target with some of the initiatives we are promoting. Organizational chapters is a concept that was launched last year with the establishment of a California Chapter... Texas is the next potential site for a chapter. Could NJ be far behind???

See you in SA.

RLDesign
01-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Gerry,

With NJ being the most populated lighting installer state, it doesn't mean that there is not some heated competition with local municipalities/electricians, as well as statewide between contractors, etc. There are a fair share of trunkslammers as well that corrupt all lighting designers initiatives to educate clients. I educate my clients and hopefully that informed decision leads to better clients. I know of about 10 people at the NJ level that I would like to be associated with, and of that 10 people - I am sure they have 10 others that they would not want to be associated with due to over competition in their areas. How does that work in California? When Joe trunkslammer wants to join the AOLP, and his work and professionalism is a joke - does the AOLP turn him down? I know that CAST and Dave B. are offering the only formal training at the state level in NJ. I attended and found very informative, CAST oriented, but not-shove-it-down your throat oriented. It is so important at any level to meet with other contractors and manufacturers. If the discourse is open and a positive direction is the outcome, I am all about a NJ chapter of AOLP.

Thanks for your help with the meeting/conference and COLD.

Talk soon.

Tanek

niteliters
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Hello Chris,

Thanks for asking. I just talked Keith at Utah Lights. We have stayed close since NU. I am taking part in COLD year one which starts Weds the 28th morning. I am arriving on the 27th sometime during the day. It should be a good time to say hello and I am looking forward to George Gruels photo instructional probably more than anything. I can get there the day before if there is some good reason...

Have the AOLP considered offering 2 sections of the certification classes for each year? That way it would be easier and more affordable for some guys to take the classes. Also, the benefit to offering each year of each certification every year would allow others to complete in a quicker time frame. I would certainly do 2-3 workstudies per year and attend a meeting every year if I could get my certification in 2 years. The 3-4 year thing is a little long. If there was some way to organize local chapters, that is something that could benefit a lot of contractors. I have considered the AOLP administration to be very organized this year - I found it much easier to communicate and do business with them. This is a vast improvement from last year. I also felt like they reached out to us more professionally in print and online, and the awards were much more organized. I was impressed for 2009, and it is the major reason I am attending the conference.

Best regards,

Tanek
will talk about these items when I see you face to face. Our own face to face "bull" seesion :). I was at the same nu as you and keith, what a great experience that was. Glad your experience was better this year. I think it will continue to do so as management becomes more familiar. You won't miss anything. There is a person that is going to spend some time during lunch i think talking about the ye and how it sees light but also some issues with L.E.D. which I thought you would be interested in. since your attending year 1 cold, you'll get to be apart of that.

niteliters
01-19-2010, 09:08 PM
always spelling errors

"bull" session.....talking about the eye and how it see's light

RLDesign
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Hey Chris,
I just remembered how fast things moved for me after NU. I am excited to say hello and meet up. From the AOLP standpoint, I had a sour taste in my mouth last year after the lighting awards, not because I didn't win... but because my submission got man-handled. It is the reason I did not submit this year, but I will next year since things have drastically improved. I think it is a great process to submit our work. I never care about the glory, just the constructive criticism and to show/see each other's work (that is why COLD should be cool). I was pretty embrassed when I went to vote and noticed that 4 of my projects had photos of the front of one house with the back of another, and so forth. I also was standing in front of my client's computer, whose house was mixed up - when I went to vote. Members were calling me and telling me of the goof up, but it didn't help that it was fixed (again incorrectly!). I wish I would have known things would be different this year, and I would have taken the time to submit. Well, the past is behind us and I am pumped for 2010. I am excited about LED and have samples from a couple manufacturers in the field. I have 3 interior Redos out to bid, and 5 potential MR-16 upgrades on the horizon. I am pumped for someone to show me the benefit of an LED fixture vs. LED lamp.

I have enjoyed the professionalism and approach the AOLP took with regards to communications. It is first step to getting members back that may have gone away for awhile.

Talk soon.

Tanek
Reynolds

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I am pumped for someone to show me the benefit of an LED fixture vs. LED lamp.

I am 'pumped' to hear such a case too, but so far nobody has been able to convince me or prove to me that there is a benefit to an LED fixture over an LED Lamp!

If someone out there can make a case, please start a new thread here, I for one would welcome the discourse.

niteliters
01-20-2010, 07:08 PM
tanek, Cruz, vice president from Vista will be there and they have newly released l.e.d. fixtures I know he would have a thing or two to say about. i tried to get them to bring their r&d/engineer man. james, you probably met him when you were at their headquarters...Glenn. he impressed me, but I don't have the depth of knowledge many do. i know that, like you Tanek, Vista has had it's concerns with AOLP. I am happy that they were willing to send Cruz this year. they have supported the AOLP for many years and i am hopeful that after this conference their involvement will increase. I recall that one of the first l.e.d. fixtures I saw with a decent color temperature was Kichlers at the conference 2 or 3 years ago I believe. They will also be there as well as have their latest and greatest products in the expo. I have felt the ship turning and I too, as a contractor, am excited about this years conference as well as next years. i am going to put my name in the hat for the conference comittee so I can be apart of making 2011 the best it can be. I am ready to leave tomorrow...wait I am leaving tomorrow!!!! see you in san anton

niteliters
01-20-2010, 07:13 PM

all points well taken bobbyho. I saw your posts on the AOLP chat room. I am going to make an issue of it again at this years conference. as stated above, I think momentum is building. With the support of our mangement team I think one thing we will be doing is sending out reminders to the membership about the chat room that share some of the topics being talked about.

RLI Electric
01-20-2010, 09:35 PM
Chris, for what it is worth I will be seriously considering it for next year and if the funds are there, I am in. Arizona in January does not sound too shabby. Unfortunately, this thread started after I had made the decision not to go. I have come to respect the many posts and inputs from many of the members on this site. I do wish the AOLP site had more contributors but I guess that is the way it is. I was talking with a friend of mine today and he is considering the AOLP as well. Yes, it does seem to be a small group but it appears to me that the quality of the members outshines the quantity. I am a member of the Independent Electrical Contractors Association and I did go to one of their conferences before and there was a huge turnout. It was great but I only really got to meet people from the New England chapter. I think with AOLP it is so small you can't help to make great contacts with professionals who are passionate about lighting. You can be assured that the majority of electricians in my area are not passionate about lighting. Have a great time at the conference.

maxwilbryan
01-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Im having a hard time justifying dropping a couple G on this. I understand the networking to a certain extent. But there are websites and telephone numbers from these sponsers. They send most any info Ive asked for.
Ive been reading these threads and have learned quite a bit. I think Id probably learn more reading through each thread and taking notes as i go (which ive been doing), as opposed to sitting through a bootcamp where ive heard the same thing before.
I really liked Integra's website. James recommended JMoyers book in there and ive begin reading that.
It seems to me LED is only beginning and this time next year (or the next) it will be the rage. I know vista has a few products but theyll probably be dated in a year or two right?
You guys are amazing. Id love to go. But here in Tennessee I dont think people give 2 shxxs about COLD or the other thing. Not to say that cant give you a little more street cred but having those credentials will NEVER make a difference in me getting a job or not. My landscape customers respect my taste and word of mouth is all ive ever rolled with.
Anyway, with ALL that being said, id still make the trip. IF someone could convince me its a good investment. Im sure those of you who are going know the benefits or you wouldnt go. I want to do things the right way and be on top of the game. Is it really worth it?

NightScenes
01-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Well the conference is next week and it looks like attendance will be more than last year which is GREAT!! I'm sorry that some of you won't be able to make the trip but maybe we'll catch you next year in Scottsdale.

By joining the AOLP you help create a strong foundation for the outdoor lighting industry. It is our goal to be a voice for the outdoor lighting professional when it comes to things like legislation but we can not do that without a strong membership. Many voices speak louder than just one or just a few and if we can all come together under one organization, we can have a very loud voice.

We hope that everyone in our industry has a fantastic 2010 and we look forward to serving our membership in every way we can.

RLI Electric
01-23-2010, 08:01 AM
If some of you who are going can post some pictures, that would be great.

NightScenes
01-23-2010, 10:15 AM
I'll try to make some posts and add some pics during the conference.

RLI Electric
01-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Just checking in to see if anyone brought their laptops there. How about a status report? Is it going well?

msouthard
02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I posted a thread on Contractor talk to get input on the Conference. Lets get everyone there and get input. From my perspective, it was a very good conference, attendance was better than last year and there were some awesome photo entries. Some new faces which was good, it will be good to hear from them.

trailboss
02-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I posted a thread on Contractor talk to get input on the Conference. Lets get everyone there and get input. From my perspective, it was a very good conference, attendance was better than last year and there were some awesome photo entries. Some new faces which was good, it will be good to hear from them.

I would love to get some highlights from the conference.
Do you have to be an AOLP member to view the thread over there?

Steve

JoeyD
02-01-2010, 01:22 PM
yes you do.....

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Would it not be more advantageous for the AOLP to post all of the comments and disscussions regarding the recent conference in an open forum for all to read? By keeping it in an members only forum, you are sort of preaching to the converted no?

msouthard
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Yes, your absolutely right James. Rather than hear from a manufacturer, I have asked one of the contractor/designer members attendees to comment here. From my perspective it was a great conference, more attendees than last year but still smaller than we had hoped but quite a few new faces.

I missed the Cave tour but I heard it was specatacular.

msouthard
02-02-2010, 12:23 PM
There is a seperate thread started by Tanek on this years conference.

NightScenes
02-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I really tried to post updates here but the one complaint I do have is that the internet service at the hotel was TERRIBLE!! I couldn't even check my email except on my phone.

Anyway, everything went very smoothly and I did not hear a single negative comment from anyone who attended. We actually have had over 30% preregister for next year's conference which has never happened before!!

We had a great line up of speakers who covered things like photography (George Gruel) LED testing (Naomi Miller), design (Janet Lennox Moyer) among others.

Once I catch up on things here at the office I will try to post some more info. I do have to post on the AOLP forum first however for our members who could not attend.

Tomwilllight
02-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I believe the major presentations at the AOLP 2010 conference were the best I've ever attended at a AOLP/LVLIA conference. George Gruel shared his enormous knowledge of digital photography and systematically destroyed two myths about photographing landscape lighting.

First Myth - You must take night-time photos during the the "Golden Hour" before sunset.

Fact - You SHOULD take Landscape Lighting photos in FULL darkness.

Second Myth - I can't take good photos because I don't have a good camera or I don't know how to use my camera.

Fact - The biggest barrier to making good photos is caused by Designers' loosing control of the contrast ratios in their designs. Blocked up highlights are not caused by poor cameras; they are caused by too much light and too little attention to the details of their design by designers. When an area of a photograph is completely blocked up with white highlights (particularly when taken before sunset) there is too much light in that area.

Below is a copy of my thank you e-mail to Michael Riebling of Philips Lighting for the remarkable talk he gave that closed the conference.

"Hi Michael,

I want to again thank you for your refreshingly honest and daringly informative talk on the issues and promise of LEDs. The information you shared, devoid of hype and unreasonable promises, encourages me to expand my own experiments with LEDs.

I'm sure the AOLP membership has never had two such powerful addresses bracket their conference; Naomi's earlier presentation on the CALiPER Program perfectly set up your presentation of Philips' determination to solve the technical issues that have made the introduction of reliable LED lighting product difficult. It was an unanticipated and much appreciated bonus for the AOLP membership."

I believe the AOLP Board, who created a truly informative conference, and the members, who made the effort and found the money to attend in the difficult times, should be congratulated. I know they got their money's worth.

Tom

Lite4
02-05-2010, 04:48 PM
From the pictures I saw it looked like 40-50 in attendance, how many were there?

RLDesign
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Tom,

I thank everyone involved. I am proud that things went as well as possible. I would post in other forums, but whats the point if it won't grow membership!! Here at least people who are sitting on the fence and realizing that they missed something. I would be shooting myself in the foot if I had not attended!! I learned so much!!

Great pointers about George's Instructional Photo Class. The best piece I got from him was that it is so important the photo is representational of the work. I also feel that the ability to sell work is based upon your clients expectation of what lighting should look like, or a photo that will evoke such a strong emotion that it sells the job. I know George's work of anyone's lighting work will sell that next job. I also think some dusk photos really close the deal with my clients, not representational of the exact lighting design... but that special photo really sells with the emotion evoked.

Talk soon.

Tanek

Tomwilllight
02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Tanek,

Jan and I talked about those wonderful dusk photos where the sky is royal blue and the lighting looks like you designed it. We agreed that the weather has to be perfect and the moment lasts only seconds. I have only two - one is the "Summer" button on my web site and the second is the last photo in the "Spring" series - www.WLLD.us.

The most important point George made about the time to shoot photos was: "If you learn to work at night, you have a lot longer to get the perfect picture."

I would add, the designer also has lots of time to correct any over lighting problems the photos reveal.

It was an amazingly good conference!!

I really don't know why these good chats don't happen on the AOLP website. It may be that there aren't yet enough AOLP members to make a critical mass that keeps the chat going.

Tom

JoeyD
02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I have learned that photographers are a lot like other artists and what one says is the "best" another does not agree. Either way I haev seen some amazing lighting photos by hundreds of different people, all a bit differet, and most look awesome. Of course there are some really bad shots but I think there is plenty of ways to skin a cat in regards to night time photography.

niteliters
02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
From the pictures I saw it looked like 40-50 in attendance, how many were there?

tim, in case you didn't get an answer, I think the number was in the 60's

Lite4
02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
tim, in case you didn't get an answer, I think the number was in the 60's

Thanks Chris,

I was wondering how the attendance was this year. I am sure I will join and attend next seasons meeting. It just sounds like there is some really good info there and the chance to meet and great everyone would be nice.

niteliters
02-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I know this year came up fast on you so I am hopeful you will be able to join and come to AZ. Would appreciate your talent in attendance. you might also look into the cold class or clvlt. Improvements have been made to the year one class and I think those that attended this year got alot out of it.