PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Opinions

jerseytaco
12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Im going to be starting a new lawn business in the spring of next year. Right now I only have 8 accounts lined up. I know, not a lot at all. Right now I am employed at a job where I work 2 days on and then 2 days off then 3 days on 2 days off then 2 days on 3 days off, and it starts all over again. You guys still with me? Any way my question is should I stick with this job for another year and do lawns part time until I build up the accounts I need or just go big and leave the job I have now. Also if I stay with this job for another year I have to sign a contract and I cannot get out of it. Any and all of your opinions will be a great help to me. Mahalo.

LawnCosmetics
12-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Im going to be starting a new lawn business in the spring of next year. Right now I only have 8 accounts lined up. I know, not a lot at all. Right now I am employed at a job where I work 2 days on and then 2 days off then 3 days on 2 days off then 2 days on 3 days off, and it starts all over again. You guys still with me? Any way my question is should I stick with this job for another year and do lawns part time until I build up the accounts I need or just go big and leave the job I have now. Also if I stay with this job for another year I have to sign a contract and I cannot get out of it. Any and all of your opinions will be a great help to me. Mahalo.

I'm also starting my own lawn care business in the spring and I currently work about 30 hours a week at an accounting firm. I plan to moonlight (part time) with my lawn care for at least a year and continue to work at the firm. You never know what can happen. As far as the contract - hopefully someone else has some advice on that one - I'm not familiar with contracts. I don't think I would do it though? I guess it would also depend on how "solid" the contract is?

Good luck to you! :waving:

jerseytaco
12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm also starting my own lawn care business in the spring and I currently work about 30 hours a week at an accounting firm. I plan to moonlight (part time) with my lawn care for at least a year and continue to work at the firm. You never know what can happen. As far as the contract - hopefully someone else has some advice on that one - I'm not familiar with contracts. I don't think I would do it though? I guess it would also depend on how "solid" the contract is?

Good luck to you! :waving:

Yea I cannot get out of the contract once it's signed. The days I am at work I sleep there so there is no "moonlighting" which is unfortunate.

NLSolutions
12-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Really depends on your situation and your projections for your business. If you can go without the paycheck and know your business will be able to support you in the spring then go for it. I just left my full time job to start the business for a spring launch.

Sounds though like your schedule may allow you to work your lawn business on the side 1 or 2 days to establish your name while still bringing home a paycheck, which is not too bad and allows you to feed the monster! If you grow quickly, you could always hire someone to handle days you are working at your other job until your contract is up.

Again, it really depends on your situation, Ive had people tell me Im crazy for leaving my job in this economy but I was willing to take the risk and hold on tight!

Best of luck in your decision either way!! Let us know what you decide!!!