PDA

View Full Version : Bed Coating on trailer?

MikeTA95
12-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I keep getting mold and rust on my trailer. I was considering giving it a coating of truck bed liner, at least on the underside to protect it and keep it looking clean instead of letting it become a rusty, moldy, crappy looking trailer. I like to keep a clean, neat appearance on my equipment.
Has anyone done this before? I know it'll be a lot of work. I was thinking it might be easier to flip the trailer upside down to do it, but I am not sure what would be the best way to accomplish that, or if I even should flip it at all. Has anyone done this or anything else to protect the trailer?

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't remember exactly what the paint is called, but I used it when I was redoing the service body on my truck. I painted the whole underside of my service body with this paint to protect the underside. The paint makes it hard for the metal to rust. The only way the metal can rust is where the paint had been knicked off, but the rust can't spread any further than that knicked spot. It is a very good paint but also very expensive.

Here is a link to something like it: http://www.rustymetalpaint.com/KBS-RustSeal_p_11-57.html

GravelyGuy
12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Herculiner is the DIY stuff. Cheapest place to get it is online or Menards locally. I had to buy several gallons for my enclosed trailer floor. Wear gloves...

jbturf
12-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Herculiner is the DIY stuff. Cheapest place to get it is online or Menards locally. I had to buy several gallons for my enclosed trailer floor. Wear gloves...

how did the trailer floor come out? how has it held up?
was it wood / metal

GravelyGuy
12-10-2009, 11:18 PM
how did the trailer floor come out? how has it held up?
was it wood / metal

It's plywood. You can see some pics of the inside of the trailer in my thread over in the pics forum.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=294969&page=7

It's holding up better than paint, but it's nothing like actual Rhino, Line X, etc. I think I was qouted around $1800 for Rhino, the Herc. cost me like $225 if I remember right. It shouldn't peel up or anything, it just won't stand up to shoveling like you would do in an open trailer or truck.

Towards the end of my thread I also just put the rest of the herculiner that I had left on my skid sprayer frame, check it out if you want.

DKJLawnCare
12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
POR 15 works good for going over top of rust. that maybe what the other poster was talking about.

POR = Paint over Rust