PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick a used 36" wb which one

cpt87gn
12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
If you had to get a used 36"or 32" wb probably belt drive (cant afford a dual hydro)low hours as your main mower for mainly small residentail lawns mostly bermuda and st augustine in san antonio texas
which one would you get An Exmark ,Scag ,Toro ,Quick ,Bobcat or Ferris or other
what do you recommend thank you for your help

unkownfl
12-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Whatever the good deal is. They are all good as long as you buy a good commercial machine. They all use the same types of engines, and not to much can go wrong on a belt drive.

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 05:26 PM
It will all be personal preference. Make sure you have a dealer around you for the brand you buy and make sure that dealer is good too. You also may like the controls on one brand, better than another. Some mowing decks also cut a little better than others or perform better than others under certain conditions. Any major brand will work fine for you.

ed2hess
12-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I know the Scag belt drives are solid so I wouldn't hesitate on buying used. Not familiar with the others.

vharman4
12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
i would seriously consider getting a hydro if it is going to be your main mower. you could prob find a pretty decent deal on a used one. i personally run all scag wb's and they are all solid as a rock.

LALawnboy
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Like the others have said, you can't go wrong with any of the major brands. I'm partial to Toro and always have been because of local dealer support. I picked up a 2005 Toro 36" walkbehind last fall and it has been a rock solid mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

DT Lawn Care
12-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Any of those brands should do you fine, just make sure you find a mower that has low hours and has been taken care of. For example, my Exmark 36" has everything I could want in a belt drive, Kaw 420V electric start, had less than like 150 hours, was maintained perfectly. I paid $500. Just be patient and make sure the mower meets your wants. Good Luck

lifetree
12-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I recommend the Quick 36" single hydro machine ... since you said that you can't afford a dual hydro drive !!

cpt87gn
12-11-2009, 09:26 AM
thank you for the great info
feel free to keep commenting

Jhill19
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
What is your price range if you don't mind me asking?

EastCoast
12-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I personally like Scag, solid machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

DT Lawn Care
12-11-2009, 06:37 PM
I recommend the Quick 36" single hydro machine ... since you said that you can't afford a dual hydro drive !!

Single hydros suck, they are a lot of work, you have to manually turn them. I would definitely suggest a belt drive over a single hydro, they are cheaper but less work.

Richard Martin
12-11-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a 36" belt Ferris and I used to have a 36" belt Exmark. The Ferris cuts grass just as well as the Exmark did. The Exmark's pistol grip controls are easier on the hands than those of the Ferris. The Ferris requires more strength to pull the levers in and they're not adjustable. The Exmarks controls are adjustable. I prefer the Ferris blade spindles since they are greasable. I replaced the non greasable spindles on my Exmark a couple of times. The Ferris has an electric blade clutch and my Exmark had a manual blade clutch. Other than that the 2 mowers are pretty much the same.

brucec32
12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
If you had to get a used 36"or 32" wb probably belt drive (cant afford a dual hydro)low hours as your main mower for mainly small residentail lawns mostly bermuda and st augustine in san antonio texas
which one would you get An Exmark ,Scag ,Toro ,Quick ,Bobcat or Ferris or other
what do you recommend thank you for your help

Going from Bermuda to St. Augustine means wide variations in cutting height and so that effectively rules out any fixed deck mower. Do NOT buy a fixed deck if you are having to mow at 2" and 4" in the same day. I have had one and it was a major PITA. Most 32" units are fixed deck, so unless you have to have it for numerous gates, I would go with 36". You also usually get better tires, double belts vs single width, and it's a little more productive.

The Quick 36 type mowers are inexpensive, seem to do well in many conditions, but do not have good mulching capabilities, which comes in handy with Bermuda vs time-consuming bagging. They also have a relatively slow height adjustment on their fixed decks, though it is able to handle wider variations in height that traditional fixed decks. Check the threads though, some users have had complaints with clippings packing the deck and things like that.

Gravely makes a semi-fixed 36" deck (or did make them) that uses quick adjust pins at 4 points much like a true floating deck. They also have had a steering system (forget what they call it) that is much like Toro's T bar, in that you "push to go" and it's easier to use than pistol grips, which you "squeeze to slow". It might be harder to find one, but they seem to be attractively priced.

Scag, Bobcat only offer pistol grips I believe in belt drive mowers. Not a fan, especially for fulltime use.

Toro has the t bar which is probably the easiest to use belt drive system. I've had a 36" floater from them that I used a lot in years past on small lawns and even some big ones. It cut well and for the last decade or so they've had mulch kits available.

Exmark 36" floater is the Metro HP. Very nice cut, nice mulching ability, I've used one before and was impressed. However, ECS on the belt drive is not the same as ECS on the hydro, and it wears you out more than the Toro T bar. I do see many for sale at good prices (used) but for all-day-long use I wouldn't go that route.

Exmark's hydro 36 floater, the Turf Tracer, is a nice unit. I have see some come up for sale at surprisingly good prices for the condition. They don't seem to hold their value like the bigger deck hydros do, probably because 36" decks don't get used all that much and people wind up selling them for that reason. I would stretch the budget to a used hydro if I was using it all the time. Look for Hustler's hydro as well, due to the nice H bar steering system. Seriously, if you are mowing small lots, that means lots of turning, and a hydro will be a lot easier to use, as it allows backing up, easy turns, and generally less fatigue. It would pay for itself by allowing you to get more work done in a day.

Not familiar with the Ferris, they have different pros/cons in terms of the drive system on hydros. But for belt drive, I think you could do better.

MajesticUSA
12-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd go with Scag because its built like a tank but to be honest I wouldn't go with a 32" it's just too small even with smaller lawns. Plus with a 36" you will be able to handle a few larger propertys in the future.... I only hear great things about eXmark and BobCat too but as you'll hear a lot on here it really comes down to which dealer you feel the most comfortable with and then who has the best price.

cpt87gn
12-11-2009, 11:50 PM
great info guys the only mower ived used before is a toro 36wb beltdrive t bar and i enjoyed using it allday .so are you saying that a single hydro would be harder to use than the beltdrive my budget is 1500 on the wb i still have to buy a trailer 5x10 6x10

I dont have any accounts yet I do a couple of lawns in my subdivision with my 21'' troybuilt I have I dont have a truck yet IM planning on getting one if not ill have start by using my 2006 jeep commander V6 to start untill I sell it to buy a truck

would a 36'' and a 21'' honda hrr216 fit side by side on a 5x10

heres the equipment I have so far what am i missing
21'' honda HRR216vxa 21''troybuilt
stihl br550 blower
shindaiwa T261 trimmer (that im hoping to replace with stihl fs90 or fs100)
shindiawa LE261 edger
echo srm210 trimmer
echo hc165 hedge trimmer
racks gas cans ect
lots of hand tool power tools
planning on getting license & insurance before i start

sorry for all the questions open for Suggestions and criticism

unkownfl
12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Yes the 36 and 21 will fit side by side. You will have a lot of room on that 5x10 with only those two mowers on there though. For 1500 buck you could pick up a nice belt drive or even a high hour hydro off craigslist. I seen a Lesco with only like 100 hours on it for 1500obo here in Orlando. You have more than enough equipment far more then what I have and I do about 50 lawns a week in the summer.

JSW Development
12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Im in San Antonio too and just picked up a 36" gravely wb with 300 hrs and a sulky for $1200. It has the pins to adjust the deck height which takes about a minute to adjust. Im really happy with it. Plus Menco is right next to the airport and has every part you could ever need.

cpt87gn
12-14-2009, 09:22 PM
cool I been looking on craigslist but when i see something close im broke all the good deals are allways out of state I would love a quick 36