PDA

View Full Version : Use a flagman - Please stay safe!

Triplex
12-10-2009, 06:21 PM
This morning, I drove past a crew doing a leaf cleanup with their truck parked in the road and no one flagging traffic around it. There was only room for one car to pass, and they just expected drivers to figure it out on their own. I realize the economy is tough now and they probably didn't have enough guys for one to direct traffic while the others worked, but I just wanted to remind everyone to stay safe - it isn't worth losing your business over something like this if an accident happens.

unkownfl
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
LoL sounds like another day here. I was sitting in metro west the other day and the tree guys were cleaning up. Well one dude is just running through the traffic blowing all the leaves whiles cars are sitting at the light. People had there windows down and they just didn't care.

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
If you don't know what to do when a vehicle is blocking your lane on a two lane road, then you need to go back to driver's ed. If a cop has someone pulled over on a 2 lane road and is blocking one lane, what do you do? You go around when traffic clears, it's not that tough to figure out.

If I were blocking a lane of traffic, I would turn on the amber lights and put out a couple cones and call it good. If someone doesn't know what to do then they really shouldn't be driving.

Junior M
12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
If you don't know what to do when a vehicle is blocking your lane on a two lane road, then you need to go back to driver's ed. If a cop has someone pulled over on a 2 lane road and is blocking one lane, what do you do? You go around when traffic clears, it's not that tough to figure out.

If I were blocking a lane of traffic, I would turn on the amber lights and put out a couple cones and call it good. If someone doesn't know what to do then they really shouldn't be driving.
Besides if a person doesnt know how to direct traffic all that well they can actually make it worse.

Plus it would take 2 people to direct traffic around that truck..

mowerbrad
12-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Besides if a person doesnt know how to direct traffic all that well they can actually make it worse.

Plus it would take 2 people to direct traffic around that truck..

Very true!! But the dumb people out there on the road that don't know what to do make for great job security in the fire services:laugh:

Junior M
12-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Very true!! But the dumb people out there on the road that don't know what to do make for great job security in the fire services:laugh:
Thats right! :laugh:

the fulltime guy at my station says, "rain gives me a job!"

david shumaker
12-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I see that all the time. I always put out cones to warn people that someone is working. Even with safety measures, drivers still fly by instead of slowing down. You could get killed just putting equipment back on the truck. Alot of drivers don't know what to do....that's why construction workers get killed doing road work even with all the warning signs.

unkownfl
12-10-2009, 07:28 PM
If you block a lane of traffic you need to be mot certified its that plan and simple. Its a law and you better hope DOT doesn't come by if your not.

N.TX
12-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Usually around here the best thing to do is carry 4-6 cones on your trailer and then you can place them a ways behind the truck and close the lane off.

STIHL GUY
12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
i always use cones and if its evening or night time i use my hazard lights on the truck