PDA

View Full Version : Onspot tire chains

Mini man
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Anyone familiar with Onspot tire chains? Pro/con

gene gls
12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
The truck garage that I do business with sells them. My understanding is they are only good when you are moving and the tires are spinning. Flip the switch and the motor swings the chain out under the tire. Once your stuck, the chain just bounces off the tire.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
ask around on plowsite.com there are a few more guys that have them on there.

Brad Ent
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
You see them on school buses, fire equipment and some oil trucks around here in areas with hilly terrain.
They work great as long as the vehicle is rolling.
The disadvantage is they don't work from a dead stop or when the vehicle is in reverse (backing up).

jt5019
12-11-2009, 02:15 PM
The truck garage that I do business with sells them. My understanding is they are only good when you are moving and the tires are spinning. Flip the switch and the motor swings the chain out under the tire. Once your stuck, the chain just bounces off the tire.

Yes always make sure you are moving(slow speed) when you kick them on. I think they help in lighter snow amounts,snow pack and some ice conditions but real deep snow we still end up putting the old style chains on the firetrucks.

Gravel Rat
12-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Nothing will replace tire chains those on spot things are only good for occaisonal use like a emergency.

hosejockey2002
12-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Pros- none.

Cons- They're really expensive ($5K for a large truck) and they don't work, except on fairly dry, compact snow. We tried them in our fire department and found that we needed to use real chains anyway. Once in a while onspot chains help out for an occaisional slick spot, but they IMO a big waste of money.

Mini man
12-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Wow! certainley a far cry from the praise on thier website!