PDA

View Full Version : Stihl FS 100 RX or Echo 265T

PLS-Tx
12-10-2009, 11:34 PM
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS100RX.html

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?Model=SRM-265T&Category=TRIMMER

I would like to here from anyone that has ran both.

Yes I did a search and found some good info., but come on it's Dec., lets talk about them. :)

We have a couple of 265T's and we like them. We also have Stihl blowers and and edgers and we like them.

Looking at the specs, the 100Rx is lighter and has more power than the 265T.

We need to get a couple of more trimmers before spring. I may buy a 100RX and try it out.

The 4 mix sure is easy to start.

rcslawncare
12-11-2009, 01:17 AM
I love my 100, best dedicated trimmer imo! Had good luck with the 4 mix!

Scagguy
12-11-2009, 03:55 AM
I have had both. For the last 2 years we have run nothing but Stihl hand helds including the 100 RX. Other than maint, there's been no problems and we run these very hard 8 months out of the year.

WH401
12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I like the Stihl. The only downside is that the 100RX has a hollow shaft and a lighter duty gear box, so you can't run attachments or brush blades on it. As a dedicated line trimmer though, it's perfect.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-11-2009, 09:15 AM
As long as this is a dedicated trimmer unit, the FS100RX is by far the better unit. We've seen hardly any service problems out of these units. Except for customers removing guard and over tightening the gear head mounting screws causing the housing to crack. But all replaced under warranty at no cost to the customer.

Every landscaper that has at least one says that the crew members almost fight over who gets to use theirs.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I like the Stihl. The only downside is that the 100RX has a hollow shaft and a lighter duty gear box, so you can't run attachments or brush blades on it. As a dedicated line trimmer though, it's perfect.

This is not a downside. But the way its designed, its strictly for trimming. If you want to use one for brush cutting then purchase the FS110R for only $10.00 more.

mowerbrad
12-11-2009, 09:18 AM
I bought my 100rx almost 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. It is a very powerful trimmer and very comfortable to use. Like others have said the only downfall is that you can't really use any gear box attachments on it. But for a dedicated trimmer, this would be my first choice.

PLS-Tx
12-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info.

I should have mentioned that I'm aware that you can't run attachments. That's not a problem we plan to use them as trimmers only.

We will be tacking the guard off any trimmer we get, always have.

Has anyone ran both?

Thanks

WH401
12-11-2009, 12:21 PM
This is not a downside. But the way its designed, its strictly for trimming. If you want to use one for brush cutting then purchase the FS110R for only $10.00 more.

Thanks for dissecting my post and then restating exactly what I said, I really didn't think anyone was going to understand it.:rolleyes:

HenryB
12-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for dissecting my post and then restating exactly what I said, I really didn't think anyone was going to understand it.:rolleyes:

Actually your both wrong I've been using attachments on my fs 100's for years no problems not even a broken shaft once. I'd avoid the edger att. but the hedger and chainsaw are fine.

PLS-Tx
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I know that there is debate over weather or not you can use attachments on the 100Rx.

I will not be using attachments at all with these units, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

We have plenty of other tools for any attachments.

What I really want to know is, HAS ANYONE RAN BOTH THE 265T AND THE 100RX.

If you have ran one or the other and like them that's great. I know they are both great trimmers.

What I'm wanting is a comparison between the two. From guys that HAVE RAN THEM BOTH.

Thanks

Please don't give me a hard time about asking about trimmers. After all this is LAWNSITE. I think if we can have a stupid thread about maxing out the hits with over 100k posts we should be able to discuss trimmers.

newtostone
12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
I have only run the 100rx and have to say its a great "all around trimmer" Its got more power than the 80 and less than the 130 but the weight factor is great. It feels much lighter than the numbers say due to the majorty of the weight being more towards you than the shaft. Speaking of the shaft I have had a few break but I run .9 string??? I think, its a thicker one. We also never have any guards on any weed whacker which I hear is a little more stress than normal wear and tear.

Scagguy
12-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I know that there is debate over weather or not you can use attachments on the 100Rx.

I will not be using attachments at all with these units, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

We have plenty of other tools for any attachments.

What I really want to know is, HAS ANYONE RAN BOTH THE 265T AND THE 100RX.

If you have ran one or the other and like them that's great. I know they are both great trimmers.

What I'm wanting is a comparison between the two. From guys that HAVE RAN THEM BOTH.

Thanks

Please don't give me a hard time about asking about trimmers. After all this is LAWNSITE. I think if we can have a stupid thread about maxing out the hits with over 100k posts we should be able to discuss trimmers.

Did you miss my post? I said that I have owned both and now own nothing but Stihl. Primary reason? There is no carb adjustment screws on the newer Echo's. Had 2 of the 265"s...both ran like $hit....I don't have the time to mess with them. Bought the Stihls and haven't looked back.

PLS-Tx
12-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Did you miss my post? I said that I have owned both and now own nothing but Stihl. Primary reason? There is no carb adjustment screws on the newer Echo's. Had 2 of the 265"s...both ran like $hit....I don't have the time to mess with them. Bought the Stihls and haven't looked back.

No, I read your post, thanks.

fobaum
12-11-2009, 11:26 PM
I've ran both, and i like the echo's (265t) better for ONE reason they are much better on gas, and that is a big deal to me. I hate having to refill after a couple lawns,now the down side of the new echo's is cheap plastics, the palm trigger safety just deteriorated in 8 months and the trigger is not far behind (its now pink not orange)& paint is chipping on metal. Other than that which is not a big deal to me, I love 'em I put them through hell literally just yesterday i weed-eated 10k sq ft. of bahia down to dirt (W/ helper) and they always run flawlessly. Next im getting the 280T Its gotta be a beast:terribletowel:

PLS-Tx
12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I've ran both, and i like the echo's (265t) better for ONE reason they are much better on gas, and that is a big deal to me. I hate having to refill after a couple lawns,now the down side of the new echo's is cheap plastics, the palm trigger safety just deteriorated in 8 months and the trigger is not far behind (its now pink not orange)& paint is chipping on metal. Other than that which is not a big deal to me, I love 'em I put them through hell literally just yesterday i weed-eated 10k sq ft. of bahia down to dirt (W/ helper) and they always run flawlessly. Next im getting the 280T Its gotta be a beast:terribletowel:

Well, that does it, I'm going with Stihl. No way am I running pink trimmers. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Armadillolawncare
12-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey one other thing about the Stihls is that they recently increased their warranty period from one year to two years. Two years is about how long I expect to get from my trimmers anyway.

ed2hess
12-12-2009, 01:14 PM
All of the 265 units have two carb adjustment on them.....hidden behind
the EPA plugs that need to be removed.

PLS-Tx
12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey one other thing about the Stihls is that they recently increased their warranty period from one year to two years. Two years is about how long I expect to get from my trimmers anyway.

I think I may have seen this but had forgot about it, thanks.

Do you know if this is for commercial use?

Echo has 2 years for home owners. I had one shop tell me that they would give my 2 years on Echo. They said how is echo going to know if your a home owner or not.

Sorry, but that's not the kind of place I want to do business with.

Alan0354
12-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I think I may have seen this but had forgot about it, thanks.

Do you know if this is for commercial use?

Echo has 2 years for home owners. I had one shop tell me that they would give my 2 years on Echo. They said how is echo going to know if your a home owner or not.

Sorry, but that's not the kind of place I want to do business with.

Echo has 5 years home owner warranty.

topsites
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Although I see they mislabeled it on the Stihl web site as well
but the Fs100 is not a trimmer, it is a brush cutter.
It has to do with the power ratings, everything fs90 and up is a brush cutter.
The FS100 most certainly fits the category and yes you can trim brush with string, however using it as a trimmer makes it
no less of a brush cutter than my using hedge trimmers to clear brush makes them anything but hedge trimmers.
I'm serious, read the decal, no mention of trimmer there.

Granted it could be a "light" brush cutter, , but the Fs100 is a brush cutter.

tigerfan88
12-12-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS100RX.html
TRIMMER! topesite you need to read closer.

NEWGUYRI
12-12-2009, 10:33 PM
I have had problems with my 100RX.

PLS-Tx
12-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I have had problems with my 100RX.

That's a big help, thanks. :dizzy:

NEWGUYRI
12-13-2009, 12:21 AM
That's a big help, thanks. :dizzy:

Sorry about that, I was just stepping out the door. To sum it up basically I need to retune the transmission every other use. The gear box has given me problems, It works great and then all of a sudden it's just dies on me.

PLS-Tx
12-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Sorry about that, I was just stepping out the door. To sum it up basically I need to retune the transmission every other use. The gear box has given me problems, It works great and then all of a sudden it's just dies on me.

How old is your trimmer?

We have 4 blowers, and 2 edgers that are 4 mix, they have been great.

The older ones don't run as good as the newer ones that we have, but I think that would be the case no matter what it was.

PLS-Tx
12-13-2009, 12:34 AM
Although I see they mislabeled it on the Stihl web site as well
but the Fs100 is not a trimmer, it is a brush cutter.
It has to do with the power ratings, everything fs90 and up is a brush cutter.
The FS100 most certainly fits the category and yes you can trim brush with string, however using it as a trimmer makes it
no less of a brush cutter than my using hedge trimmers to clear brush makes them anything but hedge trimmers.
I'm serious, read the decal, no mention of trimmer there.

Granted it could be a "light" brush cutter, , but the Fs100 is a brush cutter.

What in the world does what you are saying have to do with what we are talking about. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Do me a favor big guy, if you see a thread I have started just move on and post your gibberish somewhere else.

Sorry folks, I really do try to be nice but sometimes you just get fed up.

STIHL GUY
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Stihl makes great products and when my FS55R goes ill be upgrading to either a FS100 or FS110

Just Mow
12-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Since Oct 1, 2009 Stihl's warranty on all lawn-care went to 2-year for commercial use.

RonAyersMotorsports
12-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Since Oct 1, 2009 Stihl's warranty on all lawn-care went to 2-year for commercial use.

Love the avatar.