PDA

View Full Version : Proud new owner of a GR1548FL!!!

dwost
05-20-2002, 11:53 AM
All I can say is WOW:D :D This is one bad A#% cutting machine! I just took delivery this past Friday of my new machine and couldn't wait to check it out. I'm using this solely for residential use and did my homework on all the machines available under the $3k mark. This is what I used to make my decision.

Models reviewed:

Exmark - 48" Metro fixed deck, w/gear, ECS, 15hp Kawi V-Twin ($2,899)

Toro - 48" Pro fixed deck, w/gear, T-bar, 14hp Kawi single ($2,700)

Bobcat - 48" fixed deck, w/gear, Pistol, 15hp Kawi V-Twin ($2,700)

Scagg - 48" fixed deck, w/gear, pistol, 17hp Kawi V-twin ($3,000) This was a great deal for the mower, but toward the high end of my price range.

Snapper - 48" fixed deck, w/gear, U-handle, 15hp kohler ($2,799)

I looked at all of these and narrowed it down to the Toro and Exmark. I was leaning toward the Exmark simply because of the customer loyalty and history of mfg a great product. I called one last Toro dealer who happens to sell Gravely and he mentioned there was a new Gravely unit that I may want to check out. I went down to the shop and as soon as I saw the 1548 I was sold!! Hands down, the most rigid, solid mower I've seen. When he told me the price, I about fell down. The deal he gave me was cheaper than the eXmark and the mower had features that would put me in the $3,500 price range for any of the mfg listed above. I'll get to the price in a minute :cool:

The benefits/differences I noticed right off were:

-FLOATING DECK
-16" WHEELS (as opposed to 13" on everything else)
-6 GALLON TANK (most had 5)
-7 GAUGE STEEL ALL AROUND (10ga top w/7 on bottom of most)
-ANTI SCALP WHEELS ALL AROUND (all others had 0)
-INCLUDED STRIPING KIT
-ELECTRIC PTO (everyone else was manual)

The deal:

Retail price on it was $3,150 (which is still damn good for what you get) He told me he would let it go for $2,999. I asked him if he would go any lower and he came back with $2,875!!!! I went home, cleared it with the boss (my wife is a saint!!...:) ) and the next day walked out with a total bill of $3,047 out the door!!!

My lawn:

We moved into our house last year and I purchased a used honda rider with a 38" deck from my neighbor which turned out to be a great little mower, however, too small for my yard and was taxed trying to cut thick lush grass. With trimming my total time used to be in the 3-3.5 hour range. My first mow with the new toy took me total of 1 hour and about another 15 min with trimming!! I was able to walk it in 3rd gear. AND the cut you ask?? amazing, it stripes with the best of them and left a beautifully manicured carpet for my neighbors to admire. :D I couldn't be happier with my choice and thanks for building a great product.

My next item is a sulky which I will probably get this week. I'm leaning toward Proslide or the True Trak. Any suggestions or feedback on rigging the True Trak to the Gravely?

Eng Mwr Guy
05-20-2002, 04:47 PM
I would not recommend the Proslide with gear drive units.

Gravely sells articulating sulkies also.

I am happy you like the machine. It should serve you well for many years.

Barry
Gravely/Ariens Guy

dwost
05-20-2002, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info about the proslide. What does the sulky for the Gravely run? It looks similar to the Velke do they make it for them? Do you have any info about fitting the True Trak to the Gravely? Thanks again.