PDA

View Full Version : Already wanting to ditch the 2500HD for something with better fuel economy...

Jason Rose
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Am I crazy?? I just bought my '08 GMC 2500HD in August, and after seeing how BAD the fuel economy is, and that it dosn't really improve on the highway, I think I'm ready to trade down into a smaller truck!
Now, I really haven't fallen in love with the new GMC, the only thing I really like about it is the remote start, that's been soooo nice this last week with this cold. Other than that I'm not that fond of it...

But what to do? It only had 9,500 miles on it (a year old) when I bought it, and now has a whole 11,500. Thankfully I got it about $3K under blue book. I put a few things on it, mud flaps (factory), vent visors, and bed caps. Thankfully I didn't spend the $$$ for wheels or a lift.

I'm thinking about a Dakota, Colorado, Tacoma... Something in the "midsize" truck catagory. I already have a 1 ton Chevy with a dump bed, and a 3/4 ton dodge with a dump bed, so I have no shortage of REAL trucks when I really need one. Having a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 gasser in it to just drive around town is silly at best. Tired of seeing the fuel guage drop like a rock!

Am I NUTS though?? I know ANY 4wd truck, even the smaller ones don't get great fuel economy, but i I can get around 20 mpg on the highway, that's almost a 2X improvement of where I am now...

Jhill19
12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
What year of Midsize are you looking for?

Jason Rose
12-11-2009, 11:35 AM
'07 or newer probably. I'll have about $27K in trade-in, I may be able to get a new model with that. I want to trade straight across, Don't need MORE payment by any means...

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
6.0's are just PIGS! we are lucky to get 230miles out of a full 26gal tank. nature of the beast my friend, lol, just grin and bear it.

Brad Ent
12-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Maybe things are different in KS, but brand new 2010 GMC 2500HD gas 4x4's are selling in the $26-30K range. The only way they are going to give you that much on a trade is if you purchase a more expensive model and extend your payments.
3-5 additional MPG's is not going to have a significant impact on your overall operating expense unless you are running a large fleet of trucks.

Jhill19
12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
You should be able to get at least a 07 or 08 for that I know I went and looked at brand new Tacoma's on the lot the other week and they were stickered at 33k, a little ridiculous for a midsize. but it was a pretty well equipped crew cab. For a few more thousand bucks you could get a tundra.

South Florida Lawns
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I always liked the mid 90's tacoms. They last forever get great millage and you can actually put a load on it or behind, unlike the rangers and s10's.

Jason Rose
12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Looked at the tundras and the tacomas, breifly. Just not for me really. The tundras are nice I guess, but I'd be better off with the truck I have, they are fuel hogs as well. The tacoma just didn't "feel" right to me and the brakes SUCK!!! Have to mash the pedal to the floor just for a normal stopping.

I'm waiting on a ford f-150 to come in from another town to test drive. It has all the stuff on the inside I like, plus a sunroof, lol. Leather, etc. Unfortunately has higher miles than the one I have though... But finding trucks that only have 10K on them is rare. The Dodge rams are nice, but again, don't have some of the comfort thing I want, and are out of my price range as there's no used 4x4 models out there. GMC and Chevy are the same way, new is too much $$$ and the used ones either have the same dumbass fold down console/seat or they have NO legroom for someone my height.

In the end I may just have to drive even less. As it is I hardly drive my "good" truck at all, but when it's always low on fuel that makes it harder.

The midsized trucks are almost out of the question, the dealers don't even stock the Dakota or colorado. and the tacoma is just out of sight in price for what it is. (and that rattle you hear and feel that is the engine would drive me nuts.)

GravelyGuy
12-11-2009, 05:44 PM
If you work a half ton or smaller, towing anything at all it's going to get bad fuel economy also. For highway mileage, of course a small vehicle will do much better. Why did you buy a big truck to just drive on the highway?

You mentioned that the Tundra is a gas hog and it is... IF you tow with it. Without a trailer behind it, it does better than the other half tons and you have gobs of power.

Jason Rose
12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Why did I get the 2500? Well I had planned to sell my Dodge 2500 with the dump bed, so I wanted to have the towing capicity to tow my lawn rig. Well I can't get squat for the dodge, it's worth $10K to me but only $4K to anyone else, so I said F-it, I'll just keep it. So Now I have the 1 ton Chevy dump and the Dodge dump. Don't NEED a 2500HD just to bum around in... But, I want something large enough to accomidate me comfortably, either just around town or on the highway.

The numbers on the sitcker on the Tundra were awful. 12 city and 15 hwy I believe. My GMC should get that if driven carefully. No reason to trade if that's the case. THe Ford looks promising, but I haven't driven it... Friend of mine had one and was getting 18 on the highway with a lead foot. He put 120K on that truck and never did anything to it other than oil changes and a couple sets of tires. I'm not a ford guy, but they are pretty nice. Plus, fords have more room in the wheelwells for larger tires... GMs you have to jack up into the sky to fit anything more under there, or do body mods. Yes, I like a lifted truck (mild). And yes, I understand that dosn't help fuel economy either, but I had larger tires on my Z-71 and really didn't see much of a drop.

Junior M
12-11-2009, 06:21 PM
hate to tell you but unless you get an older yota with a 22re in it(4cylinder) your not going to see great mileage out of any smaller truck with a v6 in it.

I thought I would do the same, save puttin fuel in the 2500 and drive a Dakota around. To bad I am only getting 15mpg out of the Dodge dakota and a bunch of headaches.. :wall

GravelyGuy
12-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Why did I get the 2500? Well I had planned to sell my Dodge 2500 with the dump bed, so I wanted to have the towing capicity to tow my lawn rig. Well I can't get squat for the dodge, it's worth $10K to me but only $4K to anyone else, so I said F-it, I'll just keep it. So Now I have the 1 ton Chevy dump and the Dodge dump. Don't NEED a 2500HD just to bum around in... But, I want something large enough to accomidate me comfortably, either just around town or on the highway.

The numbers on the sitcker on the Tundra were awful. 12 city and 15 hwy I believe. My GMC should get that if driven carefully. No reason to trade if that's the case. THe Ford looks promising, but I haven't driven it... Friend of mine had one and was getting 18 on the highway with a lead foot. He put 120K on that truck and never did anything to it other than oil changes and a couple sets of tires. I'm not a ford guy, but they are pretty nice. Plus, fords have more room in the wheelwells for larger tires... GMs you have to jack up into the sky to fit anything more under there, or do body mods. Yes, I like a lifted truck (mild). And yes, I understand that dosn't help fuel economy either, but I had larger tires on my Z-71 and really didn't see much of a drop.

I'm not trying to sell you on a truck, I'm just trying to help.The Tundra is very finicky with it's MPG. Small changes (mainly your right foot)have a big impact on your MPG, as with most high HP engines.

I was easily able to get over 15 MPG on the highway before I changed the stock tires to heavy Toyo 10 plys. They dropped my MPG a lot. At 65, there was times when I used to be able to get 19+ MPG out of the T. City driving at least 14 MPG.

My new F250 has averaged around 10 MPG per tank since new, so I do feel your pain, but I think you will regret the downgrade.

exmark614
12-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Getting the gasser was your mistake. Trade in the 08 gasser and get a pre emissions diesel. You will see your fuel mileage sky rocket, especially with a light economy tuner. And what truck do you run for estimates? I'm guessing the 08 because I can't imagine you'd use a dump truck, I don't know what your operation is like, but if you are not in the field and you're in the office and doing estimates all day, the diesel will get better mileage, however they do cost a bit more to maintain, but if you do ever decide to buy a camper or if you dodge dump's tranny goes out or something, you can use the diesel.

mike lane lawn care
12-12-2009, 08:05 AM
I feel your pain, I have the 2005 version of your truck, I love it, but cry at the pump. I stated doing errands and driving to best buy (my full time job) in the Toyota and saving the truck for trips and work. It has done 2 things, saved me a bunch of fuel, and saved wear on the truck. In fact I saved so much money doing this that I am going to be able to afford new rims and tires in the spring, just out of the fuel savings!

TXNSLighting
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
As some of you im on vaca in NC right now. We drove my 09 F-150 up here. its got the 4.6l 3v engine and we averaged 20.3 mpg comin up here. I think thats quite awesome. So i highly recommend the F150 Jason. Or trade it for a Duramax.

PLS-Tx
12-12-2009, 01:25 PM
As some of you im on vaca in NC right now. We drove my 09 F-150 up here. its got the 4.6l 3v engine and we averaged 20.3 mpg comin up here. I think thats quite awesome. So i highly recommend the F150 Jason. Or trade it for a Duramax.

Man, that's great.

If it were me I would go with a F-150, no way would I ever want to drive a small truck again.

Jason, I'm thinking I read some time back that you said you are not a small guy.

Do yourself a favor and go with a 1/2 ton.:)

Cummins343
12-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Buy a diesel.

Jason Rose
12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Drove a F-150 today that had quite a few options, leather, sunroof, etc. What a POS. No thanks. And they want WAY too much for it for having crap for options.

I think I'm down to just keepig what I have. Diesels are too hard to come by, and one with low miles and options are insanely overpriced because everyone wants them. 1/2 ton are easier to find, but most have 40K+ miles.

Junior M
12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Drove a F-150 today that had quite a few options, leather, sunroof, etc. What a POS. No thanks. And they want WAY too much for it for having crap for options.

I think I'm down to just keepig what I have. Diesels are too hard to come by, and one with low miles and options are insanely overpriced because everyone wants them. 1/2 ton are easier to find, but most have 40K+ miles.
can you put exhaust on the Chevy?

I am asking because there are simple solutions to help gas mileage, if they dont effect your warranty..

Jason Rose
12-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Perhaps I should try the exhaust next. I didn't want to throw anymore money at this truck since I didn't *really* like it. But after driving the competition I realize just how NICE my GMC is.

Now, if I could find a Chevy/GMC just like mine in a Diesel, with leather, and the fold down console... But it would be a LOT more money...

LindblomRJ
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
My 98 F150 with 4.6 V8 can get 20 MPG if I behave. It doesn't have any rattles of squeaks and runs great with 113k on the odometer.

Gravel Rat
12-12-2009, 07:11 PM
People say buy a diesel for fuel economy sure you maybe saving money in fuel but when it comes times to repair say good bye fuel savings. Even a oil change will make the fuel savings moot.

A half ton will give the best fuel mileage if its geared right.

One of the guys I worked with he is happy with his 2009 1/2 ton 4x4 chev with the 6.0. He was originally going to buy a 3/4 ton but the half ton pulls his travel trailer just fine.

If you want fuel mileage you buy something with a 4 banger rice cooker.

buttaluv
12-12-2009, 08:11 PM
yeah, buy a diesel!!

more money up front new or used
alot of time the fuel is higher than gas
oil changes is more, maintenance in general is higher
if anything at all goes wrong with it, it's higher
etc. etc. etc.

If your pulling around 18,000 lbs all the time then that's one thing, but just to have one because every other joke with to much money or to much credit is another...man.. did somebody kick my dog?

exmark614
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry I thought this was America. Doesn't one have a choice to what they want to buy for a vehicle?

highlander316
12-13-2009, 01:19 PM
i wouldn't do exhaust, that'll give you power, but minor increases in mileage. Go for a tune, much better results.

Junior M
12-13-2009, 01:24 PM
i wouldn't do exhaust, that'll give you power, but minor increases in mileage. Go for a tune, much better results.
an increase is an increase though, right? ;)

Jason Rose
12-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Exhaust does help, if it's done right.. But it may only be a gain of maybe 1 mpg at the most, but anything helps, plus it would sound better :)

Tuners for gassers are a pretty big waste of money... been there, done that with my old Z-71. Luckily, because it was 6 or so years old at the time the tuner was not too bad $$ wise. I've priced them for this '08 truck and yikes! $400 to $500. In a few years they will get cheaper (as the truck gets older) But again, not much improvements for fuel economy on a gasser. I got mine for the other truck because I changed tire size (larger) and wanted to correct the speedometer.

KS_Grasscutter
12-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Do like I did and get a little POS 4cyl 5 speed 2wd Ranger to drive around and keep your nice truck for nice occasions and trips. Mines gonna pay for its self every 6 months with fuel savings.

john_incircuit
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a 2006 Tundra long bed, 2 wheel drive with the V6, get around 19 Miles to the gallon in everyday driving and 24 when we are on trips.

Just about the heaviest thing we tow are 5 or 6 yards of mulch in the trailer and it certainly has no issues with that. For all the large mulch jobs we rather pay the $35 delivery fee...

65000 miles in 3 years, not a single problem.

zturncutter
12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I have a 2006 Tundra long bed, 2 wheel drive with the V6, get around 19 Miles to the gallon in everyday driving and 24 when we are on trips.

Just about the heaviest thing we tow are 5 or 6 yards of mulch in the trailer and it certainly has no issues with that. For all the large mulch jobs we rather pay the $35 delivery fee...

65000 miles in 3 years, not a single problem.

I have the 2006 Tundra Crew cab V8, the best I can do with it is 18.5 miles to the gallon on trips. About 14 miles to the gallon hauling the maintenance trailer on the lawn route.

66500 miles in three years with no problems as well.:dancing:

badbart
12-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Buy a diesel.

X2. I get 18 mpg with my F350. It's a 97, but it was a one owner and really clean. I just rolled over 160,000 last week. If you look around you can find some reasonable deals. And you can get lucky at the dealers if they have some old stock they need to move. My buddy picked up a new 08 Dodge 2500 Cummins Big Horn that had a MSRP of $48K for $31K.

Chilehead
12-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't know how many of you listen to The Clark Howard Show, but the price of oil is heading down. You may just want to wait this one out. Another suggestion is that if you really like everything about the truck except the MPG, consider investing in a propane/natural gas conversion kit. You would start saving on fuel costs right off the bat, and in a few years it would pay for itself. You also would get a tax credit for switching to a clean fuel alternative.

albhb3
12-14-2009, 12:25 AM
lets put it this way my 98 ranger xlt supercab 4x4 stepside with a 4.0 gets about 11-12 except for the one trip where somehow it burned 4 gal of gas in 100 miles

rcslawncare
01-10-2010, 11:21 PM
I don't know how many of you listen to The Clark Howard Show, but the price of oil is heading down. You may just want to wait this one out. Another suggestion is that if you really like everything about the truck except the MPG, consider investing in a propane/natural gas conversion kit. You would start saving on fuel costs right off the bat, and in a few years it would pay for itself. You also would get a tax credit for switching to a clean fuel alternative.
How much is this kit to do a conversion on and what the cost of propane per gallon?

Hawg City Lawns
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
my 2000 silverado with the 4.3 gets around 14-16 mpg then one time i drove it from here to florida (about 800 miles) and i averaged 21 which surprised me but stick with a v8 no matter what the v6 is overrated so is the i5 in the colorado

KrayzKajun
01-11-2010, 12:49 AM
i hear honda minivans get 20+mpg!!!!

rcslawncare
01-11-2010, 01:36 AM
My 03 2500HD gets 10-12 mpg. Just something you got to live with. Its bigger than the 6.0, but i know i can pull anything when I need it. I don't think a less capable pick up will be the answer, thats just me!

Jason Rose
01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Well since this thread came back up for some reason... I'm keeping my truck! For one, it's really nice, and frankly there's not much more that I could want/need in a truck, other brands just don't stand out like GM does. For two, this is very much a SELLERS market for trucks right now!!! They use th excuse that because of the cash for clunkers there just not much out there right now in the way of newer used trucks, so they are prices accordingly. I saw trucks with USED prices on them that were as much as they sold for brand new.

I just need to find a girlfriend with a nice car... haha. that would be the BEST option.

Chilehead
01-11-2010, 02:15 PM
How much is this kit to do a conversion on and what the cost of propane per gallon?

Kits range in price from $1200-$2000. I'm sure you could even find some super high-end ones with titanium this and platinum that, but the ones around here run $1500 plus installation. To get the price equivalence for fuel, 1.25 therms of LG/LP equals 1 gallon of gas. Check your local rates to get the current price.:)

rcslawncare
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Dang, I appreciate the info. I will have to look into that cause it sounds cool!