PDA

View Full Version : How do you buy fuel in bulk typically?

firstchoice1
12-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Would save a good amount of time. Was wondering how you guys would store it and if there is any difference in per gallon price when you do. Also how you buy, cause 250-500 gallons is not something you can typically buy at your local gas station. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Travis

zman2307
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
You might save 3-4 cents per gallon if you buy in bulk. The savings will come from filling up less often and being able to fill up on-site as opposed to all the extra windshield time.

Kevin M.
12-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I have a fuel company here locally and they come and fill up my 500 gallon tank and the cost is about 25 cents cheaper than at the pump and its in the yard and the guys dont stop at the gas station were we all know what kind of things happen there.

johnslandscaping
12-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Southern States fills ours. Most of the time you save a few cents like over last winter 1500 gallons at 1.60 a gal. and was still using when gas was at 2.20 sometimes you fill and price drops then you feel screwed. overall only thing saved is stopping at gas station, guys with fuel cards (unexplained charges), not enough fuel at shop I.E. jump in a truck and no fuel. That does not happen now.

AI Inc
12-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Like others said , the savings comes from not having 3 guys sitting in a truck waiting to fuel. Then once they are ready to leave one decides he needs coffe , another decides what a great time to go buy a pack of smokes. Next thing ya know getting fuel is a 1/2 hr stop.

topsites
12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Some places won't deliver below a certain amount, others it costs more unless it really is a whole lot,
a tanker truck holds 8,700 gallons but at least several thousand, you'll basically need underground
storage and this has to be EPA certified.

JB1
12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
most of the fuel companies will bring tanks out and set them for you, I know one construction company that the fuel company gave them a tanker truck to use on their construction project.

Kevin M.
12-12-2009, 11:10 AM
I have a 500 gallon tank in a fuel containment system and the company I deal with it will deliver any amount that I request since they come to the island with there truck full and usually leave empty. It works fantastic and the thing I did was to buy the guys a couple of coffee machines so they dont even have the temptation to stop at the gas station in the morning which is a huge and I mean huge time saver as we all know.

AI Inc
12-12-2009, 11:30 AM
which is a huge and I mean huge time saver as we all know.

Unbillable hrs is the biggest profit killer.

TYCINC
12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I have a 500 gallon tank in a fuel containment system and the company I deal with it will deliver any amount that I request since they come to the island with there truck full and usually leave empty. It works fantastic and the thing I did was to buy the guys a couple of coffee machines so they dont even have the temptation to stop at the gas station in the morning which is a huge and I mean huge time saver as we all know.

We too have a 500 gal tank and a 150 gal diesel (off road). . The fill company we use is great. . All I have to fill at the store are the trucks. .

Along with a coffee machine we have a large ice maker and water filter station thing for filtered drinking water. Any sodas or lunch must be brought in by the guys. .

Having the gas tank has saved us so much time it really is a worthwhile investment if you have the need for it. It was kind of a pain having everything set up (signs, slab, paperwork) but thats all one time and done stuff. . .

TYCINC
12-12-2009, 11:47 AM
and not to mention how much gas is being saved from being spilled. . we all know how those cans are to pour at times lol

JimLewis
12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
What JB1 and Kevin M said. You can save a good 25 cents per gallon. And often they will provide the tank for you.

You need to remember to lock it and only the foreman or top managers have keys.

It's not just the fuel cost you're saving, it's also the time going out of the way to a gas station.

topsites
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
All right fine, so you don't need 10,000 gallons...

But they might do it, they might not...
Around my neck they won't even give a discount for fleet accounts fueled at THEIR locations.
However our fleet accounts do have certain gas stations to be used, the card is usually not accepted anywhere else
and at these locations there's no getting anything but fuel, not even a bathroom.
The card further tracks fuel mileage, which is nice.

For example with heating oil the less you order, the higher the cost per gallon because there is a delivery charge.
30 dollars just for them to come out, they don't care if you get 50 gallons or 900...
Fuel is fuel, things might be different with gas but better call around and ask all these questions first.

PROCUT1
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I wish I could find what you guys get.

Around here its a foreign concept.

Gas delivered to your place is more expensive than the pump price.

I called every fuel company in the book and NONE of them would provide a tank.

The permits, inspections, and regulations to set up a tank would have cost me thousands.

The only thing I had was my own off-road diesel tank, which was in my shop and just a 275 tank with a pump on it that I would have filled from the heating oil company.

On road diesel was 30 or more cents a gallon more expensive with a 400 gallon minimum each fill.

Come to think about it.

I have never seen a contractor in this area with a gasoline tank.

The closest you see are a couple of really big trucking and trash companies that have their own underground tanks.

XLS
12-12-2009, 08:29 PM
here we simply have 5 modified plastic drums the fuel company checks up on weekly for us it is the same as at the pump but it saves in time in fueling the equipment
we use 3 for the trucks and the rest for equipment so we can track how much is for trucks and the equipment .

XLS
12-12-2009, 08:31 PM
most of our other locations will send the crew home and then one guy will go out, fuel the truck up and ful 20+ 5 gal jugs for the week as needed . this limits the time the crew waits and only runs hours up on one guy .