PDA

View Full Version : Cheques?

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm just curious on how many people here accept cheques? I've heard people telling me its an easy way to scam you... Also I just red that post on Larson Lawn care that got screwed by 20k$...

What methods of payment do u use? cash? cheques? credit card?

SangerLawn
12-11-2009, 04:19 PM
First off it is spelled checks and yes we except them along with cask and credit

Jay Ray
12-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I think it is 'cheques' in Britain.

JFGauvreau
12-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Sorry i used the French word. lol

hackitdown
12-11-2009, 06:31 PM
All I take is checks. I don't accept credit cards. I guess cash is ok from time to time. Scams are scary, but it is rare that I get a check for over $500.

I bill monthly, so it is checks, how else would they pay me? I think some guys still bang on the door to collect every time. Or the customer leaves payment under the mat or something. But you can spend a lot of time collecting every time like that.

thewall
01-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I think it is 'cheques' in Britain.

you think right:clapping:

echeandia
01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
99% of my sales are by check. So far in three years not one bounced.

goodfellow
01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Check is something you do
Cheque is something you cash

Welcome to Ontario!!!!:canadaflag:

wimpy
01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I can't believe people still use checks. That's such a backwards way to make payment. I take credit cards, debit cards, and cash. I charge 3% for cc transactions to cover my fees.

SangerLawn
01-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Probably about 75 percent of our residentials pay with checks and ALL of our commercial property pay via checks

xclusive
01-18-2010, 12:57 AM
90% of my customers pay by check, but I do have a few elderly customers that prefer to pay with cash which is always good.

vanncann
01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
I've been taking checks for ever and had my first bad one last summer. Customer made good and paid fees. I accept cards but people in my area do not want to pay a yard man with a card. Check or cash only except with government jobs.

grassman177
01-18-2010, 01:02 AM
we get paid by checks. i want to make it a credit card available for payment, but my dad is very hesitant. i think if we also charged a small fee that it would go over well and we would see payments faster. i am sure it will happen in the future though, jsut not sure when.

Isobel
01-18-2010, 01:33 AM
I can't believe people still use checks. That's such a backwards way to make payment. I take credit cards, debit cards, and cash. I charge 3% for cc transactions to cover my fees.

what a backwards way of thinking.
95% of my clients pay by check, I would be foolish not to accept them.

DLAWNS
01-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Most of my customers pay me by check, some pay by cash...and I will be trying to incorporate credit cards very soon.

Larson Lawn Care
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Unfortunately, you will have to take checks. But if they do not pay within a certain time frame... 30 days or so, do not continue to service their property. After I lost out on the $21k, it didn't scare me away from checks, that was just a bad deal. But since then, I have had at least 4 people not pay me... and the small claims courts don't do much but take your money for certified mail and for the police to show up to try to serve them. but if they do not respond to any of that, you are out $30-$50. Not cool when you have to pay to collect and you still do not collect. But back to the subject, don't be afraid of checks, it is very rare that someone will write you a bad one. Good luck!

SangerLawn
01-18-2010, 12:02 PM
This company has a one time fee of $50.00 to join. No hidden charges at all. Been using them for 4 years and they worked great for me. if you get a bad check they will collect or it lock the persons bank account that wrote you the bad check so they can not write anymore checks until your paid. This does not work on people who don’t pay you, only people who wrote you a bad check

http://www.checkcare.com/

Isobel
01-18-2010, 12:13 PM
How does a third party have the authority to "lock" a person's bank account? Pretty sure only the bank issuing the check can do that.

SangerLawn
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
How does a third party have the authority to "lock" a person's bank account? Pretty sure only the bank issuing the check can do that.

Have you ever gone to the store and wrote a check and they run the check through that little machine? I know you have because ever major store has them including most gas stations. That machine checks to see if the person that is writing the check has any bad checks. Checkcare systems is the company that runs that little machine. If you have a bad check and turn it into checkcare they will lock that person out of the system making to where they can not right checks to businesses until that person pays checkcare for the bad check that person wrote to you. Checkcare charges that person $25.00 to collect on top of the payment for the check. All funds are paid by the bad check writer…..this is why every major company posts signs up that there is a charge if you write a bad check….this does not cost you a thing to get your check collected on…….they have collected on every single bad check that was written to me…

I probably didn’t explain it very well so contact them for a better explanation but I promise they get your money and it only cost a 1 time fee of $50.00

thewall
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Here in the UK they are trying to abolish cheques in the next 3 years most major stores and larger companies will not accept them anymore

JFGauvreau
01-18-2010, 06:09 PM
I will still be accepting checks with this post, the only thing with me, its a one time service, core aeration or/and driveway sealing, so if its a bad check, I will simply call the customer to tell him to pay me + the 5$ it cost me since it was a bad cheques.

But about credit cards, how do customers respond to them when you have to charge 3% to cover your fees?

Grass Shark
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
99% of my customers pay by cheques, I don't take crebit or debits

Isobel
01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I probably didnít explain it very well so contact them for a better explanation but I promise they get your money and it only cost a 1 time fee of $50.00

Ahh yea, i see what you mean. I misunderstood what you wrote. :)