PDA

View Full Version : Speed Feed adaptor for Stihl FS 90R

ertb
12-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I just purchased a new Stihl FS 90 R today and absolutely love the 4 mix compared to my old Deere trimmer. But I want to put a Speed Feed head on it and need to know what adapter I need. I will be going with the 450 series head. A part # or website would be great so I could purchase it off the internet.

MajesticUSA
12-11-2009, 10:27 PM
This site sells the adapter but it says under the speed-feed 450 Part No: 28820-07430 "no longer available" for stihl but right under that it says universal adapter and has a price. If you call them I'm sure they can tell you which universal adapter will work with the FS90R. Otherwise there has to be someone out there who has the exact adapter for it... Good luck

http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shindaiwa/Shindaiwa-Speed-Feed-Trimmer-Head.asp

lawns Etc
12-11-2009, 11:28 PM
The Oregon speed feed is the same head as the shindy and it comes with the adapter Expressmowerparts has the heads about $25

unkownfl
12-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Doesn't that trimmer come with Stihl's version of the speed feed head?

PLS-Tx
12-11-2009, 11:45 PM
The Oregon speed feed is the same head as the shindy and it comes with the adapter Expressmowerparts has the heads about $25

Could you post the link for that head?

All I could find is the parts for the Speed Feed.

Also, is this the small or the larger Speed Feed head?

Thanks

http://www.expressmowerparts.com/Speed_Bump_Trimmer_Head_p/80-102.htm

Never mind I found it. Good to know, we order from them already, and that's a good price for a great head.

mowerbrad
12-12-2009, 12:47 AM
I bought stihl's version of the speed feed head a few months ago. I haven't put it on the trimmer yet (its going on for next season), but I think it is pretty easy to use and pretty quick to reload the head. I just am tired of having to take the head "apart" to reload the string. After switching to my gator line I didn't have to reload the head as often, but it is still a pain when I have to reload the head.

PLS-Tx
12-12-2009, 12:52 AM
I bought stihl's version of the speed feed head a few months ago. I haven't put it on the trimmer yet (its going on for next season), but I think it is pretty easy to use and pretty quick to reload the head. I just am tired of having to take the head "apart" to reload the string. After switching to my gator line I didn't have to reload the head as often, but it is still a pain when I have to reload the head.

We use nothing but the Speed Feed, they work great.

I would hate to go back to taking trimmer heads apart to reload.

ALC-GregH
12-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I bought 2 Sten rapid feed heads. I was told that Sten makes the speed feed heads for Shindawa or one of the companies. They are a direct fit on Echo units. It takes less then a minute to cut a piece of line, load it and fire it back up. I love them. :)

WH401
12-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Go here: http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shindaiwa/Shindaiwa-Trimmer-Heads.asp

In that list for different models, (depending on whether you want the 375 or the 450), you'll want to buy the "Universal" model. For the Universal 375 it's #78890-19000, for the Universal 450 it's #78890-21000. Either of those models come with multiple male and female adapters for various trimmer brands. Most likely you'll have to change out the female adapter on the Speed Feed head to one of the extra one's in the package, or at least that's what I had to do with my 90.

ed2hess
12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I tested a shindawa with a speed head for one month. The first problem I ran into is if the cord is not perfectly cut off you have trouble threading it through. The second problem was the unit got loaded with debris and stopped feeding out. Ever try to get it apart out in the field without tools?
And you can't peek in to see how much cord is left. No advantage over the regular bump head except it wears better if you ride the ground when trimming.

ALC-GregH
12-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I tested a shindawa with a speed head for one month. The first problem I ran into is if the cord is not perfectly cut off you have trouble threading it through. The second problem was the unit got loaded with debris and stopped feeding out. Ever try to get it apart out in the field without tools?
And you can't peek in to see how much cord is left. No advantage over the regular bump head except it wears better if you ride the ground when trimming.

That's strange Ed. Maybe the guy was mixed up I talked with. I'll have to ask him again. The Stens brand doesn't appear to have the problems you mentioned. I used the Stens brand all last year and it never gave me a problem feeding line. As for finding the hole, I can turn the head until I see light through the hole and I shove the line through twist and it's ready.

Turf Dawg
12-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Man ya'll must be cutting some dirty stuff because I have never had a head stop up on one of these yet and I have run them for years.
I also wonder why so many people say you cannot see how much line is left. Why do you need to see? I keep line in my pocket so when it does run out I can just wind a new piece in. If you just had a small amount left do you just pull it out and waste it? I do cut my line at an angle with side cutters so it does thread easier.
I guess everyone has different likes and dislikes but I cannot see why anyone would not like these heads.

PLS-Tx
12-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Man ya'll must be cutting some dirty stuff because I have never had a head stop up on one of these yet and I have run them for years.
I also wonder why so many people say you cannot see how much line is left. Why do you need to see? I keep line in my pocket so when it does run out I can just wind a new piece in. If you just had a small amount left do you just pull it out and waste it? I do cut my line at an angle with side cutters so it does thread easier.
I guess everyone has different likes and dislikes but I cannot see why anyone would not like these heads.

I agree, how could anyone not like these heads.

Nobody said the Speed Feed is perfect, but there sure are a lot of guys that like them.

I don't plan to use anything else.

grasshopperslawn
12-13-2009, 01:44 AM
just buy the oregon speed feed head its the same as the shindi and comes with all the adapters.

hackitdown
12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
So what is the difference between the 375 and the 450 models?

PLS-Tx
12-13-2009, 09:47 AM
So what is the difference between the 375 and the 450 models?

The 450 is larger and holds more line, that is the one that we use.

I think the 375 comes on the smaller shindy trimmers like the 242.

ed2hess
12-13-2009, 02:00 PM

I was cutting Jasmine down to ground for a guy and thought that a good place to try it. I had tested them when they first came out and was so so on them. The head cloggedafter about of hour use on this job and I couldn't bump it to feed cord. And they still haven't fixed the head so you can easily open it up if it clogs or if the cord breaks off or if you want to check how much cord is in it. As for as my load problem I had cut the end with a pretty dull pocket knife and yes I lined it up so I could see thru it but no go. The temp was low and the cord had been wound on a Echo spool it just wanted to roll up in circles. I finally had to go get dikes and cut the edge smooth and it went through. I am sure the speed head is fine for many people.

When I was at the shop Saturday a guy from one of large companies bought 3 new Shindawa trimmers and had the speed heads taken off an put on the normal bump heads...

PLS-Tx
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I was cutting Jasmine down to ground for a guy and thought that a good place to try it. I had tested them when they first came out and was so so on them. The head cloggedafter about of hour use on this job and I couldn't bump it to feed cord. And they still haven't fixed the head so you can easily open it up if it clogs or if the cord breaks off or if you want to check how much cord is in it. As for as my load problem I had cut the end with a pretty dull pocket knife and yes I lined it up so I could see thru it but no go. The temp was low and the cord had been wound on a Echo spool it just wanted to roll up in circles. I finally had to go get dikes and cut the edge smooth and it went through. I am sure the speed head is fine for many people.

When I was at the shop Saturday a guy from one of large companies bought 3 new Shindawa trimmers and had the speed heads taken off an put on the normal bump heads...

We have never had one clog, and I would not take time to open it to see how much line was in it.

I guess they are not for everyone but they sure work great for us

Turf Dawg
12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
The 450 is larger and holds more line, that is the one that we use.

I think the 375 comes on the smaller shindy trimmers like the 242.

I bought a Shindy 242 and it did come with the small head. After using the small head for a few days I went back and bought some more of the small ones to replace the big ones. They do not hold as much line [10' last me awhile] but they are much lighter and function the same. If you have a few "extra bucks" I would recomend that you try a 375.:drinkup:

PLS-Tx
12-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I bought a Shindy 242 and it did come with the small head. After using the small head for a few days I went back and bought some more of the small ones to replace the big ones. They do not hold as much line [10' last me awhile] but they are much lighter and function the same. If you have a few "extra bucks" I would recomend that you try a 375.:drinkup:

Thanks, I may try one.

What do you run the small head on besides the 242?

Are they that much lighter to make it worth only having 10' of line?

I think the larger head holds 25', that's a big difference.

Turf Dawg
12-14-2009, 02:06 AM
I have the 375 on a Shindy 242, StihlFS85 and Echo 280. I have run the speedfeed on all my trimmers, that included a Kaw, Stihl90 and Redmax. You might say I really like the speedfeeds and to me the weight of the 375 far outweighs the extra capacity of the 450. If you blow through line then you may need the 450, but I can go awhile on the 10'.

PLS-Tx
12-14-2009, 05:39 AM
I have the 375 on a Shindy 242, StihlFS85 and Echo 280. I have run the speedfeed on all my trimmers, that included a Kaw, Stihl90 and Redmax. You might say I really like the speedfeeds and to me the weight of the 375 far outweighs the extra capacity of the 450. If you blow through line then you may need the 450, but I can go awhile on the 10'.

Thanks, I may get one and try it out.

One thing for sure for us Speed Feed is the ONLY way to go.

dishboy
12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
two questions, can you run a single line with the speed feed and will it fit a fs 130

WH401
12-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Agreed. You can always carry an extra 10' piece of line with you. That's a lot lighter than the extra weight of the 450 and you're still only 5' off the total capacity of it

Turf Dawg
12-14-2009, 09:50 AM
two questions, can you run a single line with the speed feed and will it fit a fs 130

Since you thread the line all the way through it would be hard to try single and it would only hold half as much line because it is a split spool. Yes it should fit the 130 with the Stihl adapter.

PLS-Tx
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Just curious, why would you want to run only a single line?

dishboy
12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Just curious, why would you want to run only a single line?

Because I like it better!

PLS-Tx
12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Because I like it better!

Oh ok, that's a good reason.

I wasn't being rude, like I said just curious.

dishboy
12-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Oh ok, that's a good reason.

I wasn't being rude, like I said just curious.

OK, the long answer, a single line allows you to run the line longer, longer line gives more velocity, longer line does not bite in as easy, longer line will flex into a fence post corner, a single line has more power behind it because it hits once per revolution not twice so more power is available at point of impact. A longer line allows cutting on the back spin of the the revolution versus the forward spin (line going away or towards you). This is useful on trimming on sidewalk edges that are elevated. Didn't mean to be a ass, I just get a lot of flack from the two line crowd.

BTW Oregon part # 78890-18000 for 375 head or 55-294 on the package will work on the Stihl fs130r and will work with one line if you only insert the line 3/4 ways in when loading.