PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Mixture Question

Thunderhead
12-12-2009, 01:35 AM
I have an Echo SRM 210 trimmer, a Redmax HBZ 2601 hand held blower, and a Husqvarna 359 chainsaw. I just bought the Amsoil Saber for these machines. I will be purchasing a new Redmax trimmer and Redmax back pack blower shortly, and will be using the Amsoil.

I am concerned and wondering, How many ounces of oil should I mix to a gallon of gasoline, and at what ratio would this be?? I want to use the same mixture/ratio for all the equipment listed above, if possible.

Thanks so much,
Thunderhead:)

unkownfl
12-12-2009, 02:00 AM
A lot of people do 80:1 because you can mix 8 oz in a 5 gallon can. Amsoil says you can safely mix 100:1 on those machines you listed, and that would be 8 oz to 6 gallons of gas.

Richard Martin
12-12-2009, 05:04 AM
The 80:1 is the easiest since most people get the oil in Amsoil's 8 oz bottle. Just dump it right into a 5 gal can (like unkownfl said) and roll with it.

Since you're getting a big Redmax blower you'll want to stop mixing in a 1 gal can. That 1 gal of gas won't last long with your new blower. Just mix the oil and gas in the 5 gal can and then fill the 1 gal can from the 5 gal can. From there you fill your machines out of the 1 gal can. I've tried filling a trimmer from a 5 gal can and it just doesn't really work out.

Turf Dawg
12-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I mix at 80/1 also. I have two 2.5 gal cans. I put in 4oz in the 2.5 cans and I am almost finished with my second case of 8oz bottles and have not had one problem even in my 4/mix units. As a matter of fact I think all my stuff runs as good or better on the Amsoil mixed 80/1

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2009, 01:44 AM
Save 4 of the 8 oz bottles.

Then buy by the quart and split into the 4 bottles.

Saves enough money to be worth the trouble.

MikeKle
12-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I have always used Echo brand oil in every handheld Ive ever had, even Stihl, and they have all ran great, not too dirty, and not too clean, but just right. Ive got sh*t for using echo oil in my stihls, but some are over 10 years old, and still purring like a kitten, BTW, Is Amsoil really that much better? How do you know it is? Just curious, Ive always heard as long as you stick with one brand of oil, and not keep using different ones, your equipment will last much longer.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
The 80:1 is the easiest since most people get the oil in Amsoil's 8 oz bottle. Just dump it right into a 5 gal can (like unkownfl said) and roll with it.

Since you're getting a big Redmax blower you'll want to stop mixing in a 1 gal can. That 1 gal of gas won't last long with your new blower. Just mix the oil and gas in the 5 gal can and then fill the 1 gal can from the 5 gal can. From there you fill your machines out of the 1 gal can. I've tried filling a trimmer from a 5 gal can and it just doesn't really work out.

With the new ,mandated by law, gas cans its not a problem filling anything from a 5 gal can

Envy Lawn Service
12-13-2009, 12:38 PM
With the new ,mandated by law, gas cans its not a problem filling anything from a 5 gal can

If you are talking about the non-vented cans.... THEY SUCK!
Swell up like a beach ball when warm, then cave in when cool.

Glad I never had to deal with those when I was doing this.
I need to figure out how to fix that on my cans around the house as it is...

MikeKle
12-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I know many guys that drill a small hole in the back of the non-vented gas cans. This seems to make them OK. Why dont they sell the old type cans anymore, I could understand if one or two places stopped selling them, but everyone not selling them? WTF

Richard Martin
12-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Well if they could find a way for a 5 gallon can not to weigh 35 pounds when filled then we'd have something. I keep my 5 gallon cans locked in the back of my truck and it would be a major pain to have to lift it in and out of the truck all day everytime I need to fill something.

I've also heard complaints about the new cans still overfilling and spillling.

newz7151
12-13-2009, 08:49 PM
WTF

"WTF" is that it is against the law. WTF don't you sell dope on the corner of the street? If you are seriously unknowing as to why they cannot sell the old style cans anymore, I have to wonder about what else you are doing in your business in ignorance of a law.

MikeKle
12-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Ive never heard of certain gas cans being illegal?!! What is so bad about them anyway? The bigger stores around here do not sell them, but there is a little place out in a town near me that still sells the older type. I assume he probably bought bunches of them at a reduced cost and now sells them for profit. He charges $4.99 for the 2 gallon and $6.99 for the 5 gallon. But most people I know just drill a small hole in the newer ones, as his shop is a good drive from here. I picked up a 2 gallon the last time I was out there, and have the newer type 5 gallon, I am going to take VERY good care of the older type I have so they will last. I think the best way to make plastic last is to not expose it too temperature extremes, I bring them indoors in the winter so the plastic wont get too hard and crack. If anyone really wants the older type cans, I can buy them for you and ship them to you. as long as you pay the shipping, I will sell them at cost, no profit. He has red, yellow and blue, 2 gallon and 5 gallon type. I doubt this law is one they actually enforce anyway! And my business is in compliance with all the laws of this state! I have no idea why you would make that comment based on some goofy gas cans! If you drill a hole in the back of the non-vented type, then it is illegal? Come on!!!

Envy Lawn Service
12-14-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't wanna drill a hole in mine... but it seems like guys were "modding" the cans some other way so they wouldn't swell or cave in... back when other states went to the CARB cans.

I didn't pay attention because I was still getting vented.
Now I wish I had.

Seems like they were putting some kind of valve in them?

MikeKle
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
The newer cans are built with a sort of reverse flow vent right in the nozzle, but as you know, it doesnt work that great. Its sort of like a concentric valve on a home A/c unit.

Envy Lawn Service
12-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Yep, which causes them to swell when it is warm and then cave in when it cools.
Even the thick Blitz cans.