PDA

View Full Version : Composite Boards For Truck Sides

GravelyGuy
12-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have pictures of a truck with built up sides using the stake pockets and those composite deck boards?

I've searched all over the internet for some kind of aluminum sides or something other than wood and I've come up with nothing.

If I use wood, does anyone make some kind of sleeves like on dump inserts that will hold 2"x6" firmly in place? Maybe a back rack with these attached?

Post pictures if you have anything for sides, even wood.

Thanks...

Gravel Rat
12-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Keep in mind some composite wood can be very heavy and very expensive.

GravelyGuy
12-12-2009, 04:54 PM
It would be worth it to me if it looks nicer than regular wood. It may not look any better though, that's why I want some pics. I think the metal sides that I've seen before must have been homemade because I haven't been able to find them for sale.

Gravel Rat
12-12-2009, 05:43 PM
You may have to make aluminum side boards if you wanted them they would be the lightest weight.

SNAPPER MAN
12-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't have composite as truck sides but on my 12' landscape trailer I used ChoiceDeck for the floor. It is GREAT! Never have to worry about it rotting. I wouldn't think twice about using it on your truck. Especially since your F-250 is white, the gray boards would look nice.

MarcSmith
12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
in this neck of the woods, TGLC went composite on the side boards. they doo look very nice. and no need to paint them. but they are very heavy.

seabee1
12-12-2009, 11:05 PM
i would go with a extruded aluminum side i built some side's out of ultra deck for my trailer ,they don't rot but they are heavy ,and they warp with heat .:drinkup: plus the steel on te new truck's is pretty light duty and will crack and dent !

jeffslawnservice
12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I have a few pics in my thread on the first page or two of my sideboards on my truck. There wood but they hold up good and they are sturdey. Thgey fit right into the stake pockets and I can remove them by taking 8 screws out (4 each side.) I'll try to get some pics after I empty the leaves from it.

GravelyGuy
12-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the pictures. I went and checked out the Ultradeck at menards. It seems pretty nice.

What do you mean by extruded aluminum?

seabee1
12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
extruded aluminum is like the aluminum running boards for your truck that have the raised ribs and the black sand paper strip running down the length .you could get some old boards or cut up some new ones to make them ,depending how tall and long you need them .some board manufacturer's will sell just the bare board ,less brackets .or just have them made out of flat aluminum sheet and welded together . :usflag:

GravelyGuy
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
If anyone needed ideas, I had some really cool sides made, check out my pictures thread (Green Care).