PDA

View Full Version : craftsman professional 33 inch mower

larrylaverne
12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
i'm looking at the craftsman 33"professional grade walk behind mower (yellow/black) salesman says made by bobcat,anyone got one of these?how do you like it ? i cut with the red 33" its ok now after a new trans ,new cables, new deck, one year old unit.

topsites
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
The equipment grade you'd be looking for is commercial, not professional,
a lot of times professional grade simply means near or top of the line homeowners.

Granted Stihl isn't helping with their "pro" line of tools, but seriously look for commercial grade.

Looking Good Lawn Service
12-12-2009, 06:12 PM
It depends the use you are going to put on the mower, I think it is ok to use it if u only need it to get into back yards that are gated and something like your heavier machine wont fit, and because its rare, there is no need to justify buying a 4K 36" walkbehind for occasional use....thats what I do, I have my walkers, but where they dont fit a run a good craftsmans (22") but I have been thinking about that same mower for the money, it is ;less than 1/3 the price of a new walkbehind

tigerfan88
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
:hammerhead:if you are a pro cutter or landscaper, then why the hell are you shopping in sears for equipment!

DT Lawn Care
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
There are 3 very similar models of the 33". The Craftsman, the Cub Cadet, and the Troy Bilt. They are junkers made for homeowner use, I would stay away period. They will end up costing you more time and a lot more work. My dad owned one for awhile to maintain a couple of his properties but we sold the piece of crap.

dwost
12-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I also believe your "salesman" fed you incorrect info. The 36" wal is the one OEM'd by Bobcat. The 33 is made by MTD and as stated is the same as Cub/Troy Built. I believe there are a couple on here that have the 36 and have had decent luck with them. You should be able to get parts/service from any Bobcat dealer.

lawnkingforever
12-12-2009, 08:09 PM
The red 33" Craftsman is the same mower as the Troybilt and the CubCadet Timesaver. The Craftsman Pro model 33" is not even close to these models. It is a diffrent mower entirely. I have seen it and I do believe Bobcat makes it. It is worth 1300 bucks and has many features of a commercial mower. For a solo operator it is a good mower for gated back yards. These 33" mowers can replace your 20'' mower in most circumstances and can save alot of time. I have enough money tied up in my 2 larger mowers and all of my handhelds to spend another small fortune for any mower smaller than 36" to be used 5X a week.

unkownfl
12-12-2009, 09:18 PM
The red 33" Craftsman is the same mower as the Troybilt and the CubCadet Timesaver. The Craftsman Pro model 33" is not even close to these models. It is a diffrent mower entirely. I have seen it and I do believe Bobcat makes it. It is worth 1300 bucks and has many features of a commercial mower. For a solo operator it is a good mower for gated back yards. These 33" mowers can replace your 20'' mower in most circumstances and can save alot of time. I have enough money tied up in my 2 larger mowers and all of my handhelds to spend another small fortune for any mower smaller than 36" to be used 5X a week.

The red one comes in yellow as well.

yellow
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188998000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Walk-Behind+Lawn+Mowers&sName=Self-Propelled+Lawn+Mowers

red
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07188733000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Walk-Behind+Lawn+Mowers&sName=Self-Propelled+Lawn+Mowers

Both are junk here is a craftsman that is better then the two above but still wouldn't be my choice.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/searsmower.jpg

metro36
12-12-2009, 09:54 PM
The mower shown in the picture above is made by mtd not bobcat. It is also sold under the cub cadet name.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_1286722_600002_-1_600002_33804

The z's sold under the craftsman professional name are made by bobcat. They are the equilivent of the bobcat fast cat rz.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128875000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Riding+Mowers+%26+Tractors&sName=Zero+Turn+Tractors

http://www.bobcatturf.com/products/ztm/fastcat_rz/index.html

DLAWNS
12-12-2009, 11:35 PM
I personally would say to steer away from anything at Sears, Home Depot, or Lowe's. Just my opinion.

NEWGUYRI
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I agree with all others, You need to look at it as an investment. Even though these may have a cheaper up-front cost, chances are they will break and cost you more money at the end of the day. If not that, they also give horrible cut quality etc. BUY COMMERCIAL, TORO, WALKER, EXMARK, SCAG, ENCORE, BOB-CAT, ETC.

Triplex
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
The equipment grade you'd be looking for is commercial, not professional,
a lot of times professional grade simply means near or top of the line homeowners.

Granted Stihl isn't helping with their "pro" line of tools, but seriously look for commercial grade.

That seems dishonest to me. I guess their intention is to make Joe Homeowner think he's getting the same stuff the pros use, but I've seen threads like this before where LCO's unintentionally bought high-end homeowner stuff and felt cheated.

RodneyK
12-14-2009, 01:16 AM
I owned one of these for my home lawn a few years ago before getting into the biz and knowing better. It is a great mower if you like to spend time double cutting and working on it. It just isn't near the quality of an Exmark/other commercial line. I had to replace spindles after three or so years and I was only mowing 10,000 sq 28 times a year! I would consider a used 36" before one of these.

demhustler
12-14-2009, 01:46 AM
nice, when they putting their label on Lesco or else's product - hmm...ok...
but when they selling "Deck 36-in" Brand Name and don't even know what engine size ... gets (and smells) really funny
p.s. I wish they had more respect to themselves...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07143534000P?mv=rr#specs

joel29m
12-14-2009, 02:09 AM
i had to learn the hard way also. i bought a homeowners 42 inch toro ztr knowing its not for commercial use, but my reason is im new in the business, money wasnt right, and my credit isnt all that good. next year im looking to get an exmark or hustler. the toro did help me alot this year, but everytime i got ready to pull the deck switch, i get nervous!!!:( but its a start.

Goetso
12-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Any word on the Ariens WAW 1034? Am serriously looking at one this spring. I know its not commercial, but I think with a little common sense, it should be decent. Supposedly there are a few guys that are running them commercialy in my area. They are belt driven, (CV clutches) like the older skid steers and swathers back before hydro realy took off.

Richard Martin
12-14-2009, 06:54 AM
Any word on the Ariens WAW 1034? Am serriously looking at one this spring. I know its not commercial, but I think with a little common sense, it should be decent. Supposedly there are a few guys that are running them commercialy in my area. They are belt driven, (CV clutches) like the older skid steers and swathers back before hydro realy took off.

That is one bizarre looking lawnmower. The whole thing just looks like a converted riding tractor. I don't know. Whoever designed the deck looks like they royally screwed it up. They have the left hand blade behind the right hand blade. The reason it's done the opposite way is to maximize flow under the deck and the fact that you cut grass moving forward. It has a very small engine and an even smaller gas tank. 14 guage deck that has to be weak and traction wheels up on the casters. I'd look for a used true commercial belt drive mower before I bought that thing.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
12-14-2009, 08:04 AM
I personally would say to steer away from anything at Sears, Home Depot, or Lowe's. Just my opinion.

Same here !!!!:dizzy::dizzy:

dishboy
12-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I have a cub 33' this mower mulches better than my old Exmark tthp, leaves a better finished cut and uses about half the fuel. 150 hours this season and zero repair bills. I did fabricate a different drive control circumventing the cables for rods/levers. A compact /light timed blade machine is the only way to go on small upper end residential IMO. If you went through spindles in 90 hours I would suggest getting familiar with a grease gun.

MikeKle
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM
i'm looking at the craftsman 33"professional grade walk behind mower (yellow/black) salesman says made by bobcat,anyone got one of these?how do you like it ? i cut with the red 33" its ok now after a new trans ,new cables, new deck, one year old unit.

So only after a years time, you had to replace the cables, the tranny, and the deck? WOW! Somewhere in the above posts, it was said to look for commercial rather than professional, I think it is so funny these companies try to make their mowers out to be heavy duty commercial grade by just calling it Professional!!! I dont think they should even be able to use that word when referring to their mowers! Professionals do not use them,and they are definitely NOT professional grade! Id be curious as to their sales tactics on these, Go in sears and tell them you are considering an Exmark, Ferris, or the craftsman WB, and just see how they compare it to the real commercial units!

larrylaverne
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
concerning the repairs to the craftsman 33"(red homeowners ed.) it was bought used.,next,it was cutting on some roadside v shaped ditches steep enough that it was hard to stand up let alone cut it.one weld broke at deck support,no biggie i know its only a home ed. mower. probly why the trans also went (weeks later though). the cables broke at the "s"hook at handlbar.the mower is only a backup to the stander. sears handled all repairs prompty and courteously with their mobile service van, i couldn't have asked for any better service.my question still stands, from someone who actually has one.is the (yellow pro 33) model a decent mower for you ?

J.R. Services
12-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I have an older troy built 33". Works perfect for fenced in backyards. Would definitely not recommend it as a primiary mower for anything bigger than a 1/4-1/2 acre lot or for doing slopes with. Way too narrown and top heavy. Ive also heard they've beefed up the trannys in the new models