PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on getting rid of my truck

weed wacker 2
12-12-2009, 11:17 PM
I have an 06 f250 diesel 4x4. I am thinking about getting rid of it and getting a chevrolet 3/4 gas burner. I like the power of my diesel but I would rather have a gas burner. Are there any inputs on this?

verant
12-12-2009, 11:33 PM
why would u switch to gas...prolly wont save anything on mpg.

weed wacker 2
12-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I average around 11-12.5 towing. If I am running around town empty 12-13. Last weekend I went on a trip and got 15. I figured I could get close to that with a gasser.

SNAPPER MAN
12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
You will only regret it if you do that. Just keep your diesel, diesel is the best thing to have when you are regularly towing. Chevy 6.0's NEVER get 15mpg, and you would be looking at about 7-8mpg when towing.

WH401
12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Keep the diesel, you'd be lucky to get anywhere near that kind of mpg with a gas engine. I guarantee you that if you traded you'd be back on here in few weeks complaining about the gasser and how you wished you'd kept your super duty.

pitrack
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Keep the diesel if you tow a lot. I will never go back to a gasser, even if I didn't have to tow.

badbart
12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
See Jason Rose's post. He's wanting to get rid of his 2500 gasser because of poor mileage. That is low fuel mileage, but the 6.0's were/are a little quirky. Look into getting a tune to improve what you have.

TXNSLighting
12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
A small tune, exhaust, and, a Air intake will bring that mileage up. You would regret going to a 3/4 ton gm gasser..

Bigred350
12-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Keep the diesel. I have a chevy 2500 hd with the 6.0 I get 11mpg empty and just get worse when there is somthing behind it. Pulling 10k i get 7mph on the highway.

unkownfl
12-14-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a 06 6.0 I get about 12-13 towing in the city and about 15-17 on the highway. I use my 1/2 ton f150 for mowing I thought I would save some money with it being a v6 boy was I wrong. With the same 6x12 enclosed trailer I'm getting 8-10. If your getting 15 on the highway your running about 80+. Get bigger tires like 35's under it and on the highway you will jump up to about 17-18 running 85.

TXNSLighting
12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I have a 06 6.0 I get about 12-13 towing in the city and about 15-17 on the highway. I use my 1/2 ton f150 for mowing I thought I would save some money with it being a v6 boy was I wrong. With the same 6x12 enclosed trailer I'm getting 8-10. If your getting 15 on the highway your running about 80+. Get bigger tires like 35's under it and on the highway you will jump up to about 17-18 running 85.

Wha???? Are you actually saying getting bigger tires will improve Fuel mileage???

WH401
12-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Bigger tires aren't going to help, taller yeah, slighty, but not bigger. The wider the tire the more you increase your rolling resistance and aero-drag. The biggest thing he is fighting while going 85 mph (if that is how fast he's going), is wind resistance. If it weren't for these truck's having the aerodynamics of a brick, than yeah, they'd get some really good mileage at 85. One things for sure though, if he doesn't like the mpg of his 6.0 Powerstroke at 85 than he's going to absolutely "love" the mpg from a 6.0 Chevy at 85. Can you say "single digits"?

unkownfl
12-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Bigger tires aren't going to help, taller yeah, slighty, but not bigger. The wider the tire the more you increase your rolling resistance and aero-drag. The biggest thing he is fighting while going 85 mph (if that is how fast he's going), is wind resistance. If it weren't for these truck's having the aerodynamics of a brick, than yeah, they'd get some really good mileage at 85. One things for sure though, if he doesn't like the mpg of his 6.0 Powerstroke at 85 than he's going to absolutely "love" the mpg from a 6.0 Chevy at 85. Can you say "single digits"?

You guys don't have a clue. Your not going to get a tire that causes more resistances to make up for the gain saved in RPM. His biggest factor that he can reduce is RPM going down the highway. Sure if he gets a 44inch tall tire thats a different story. The factory already has a 275 on the truck going to a 315 isn't much wider. The wind resistance and friction is a factor but it won't cancel out the reduction in engine rpm. You have to think of it as a pump that has to sustain a certain ratio of fuel and air. If you try to maintain a 14:1 ratio of air to fuel then if you have less air going through the engine because of a reduction of rpm then you will be using less amount of fuel to maintain that ratio. Sure there is other factor to be considered but I'm not going to teach a physics class in this forum. I did say go to a 35inch tall tire compared to the factories almost 33inch tall tire. When these truck were designed of course the Ford could have installed bigger tires but they have a wide variation of customers to satisfy. They need to be able to tow a load going up a hill while staying in front of a Chevrolet so thats why they have the drive train ratio of a tractor and not of a high speed vehicle.

pitrack
12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
You guys don't have a clue. Your not going to get a tire that causes more resistances to make up for the gain saved in RPM. His biggest factor that he can reduce is RPM going down the highway. Sure if he gets a 44inch tall tire thats a different story. The factory already has a 275 on the truck going to a 315 isn't much wider. The wind resistance and friction is a factor but it won't cancel out the reduction in engine rpm. You have to think of it as a pump that has to sustain a certain ratio of fuel and air. If you try to maintain a 14:1 ratio of air to fuel then if you have less air going through the engine because of a reduction of rpm then you will be using less amount of fuel to maintain that ratio. Sure there is other factor to be considered but I'm not going to teach a physics class in this forum. I did say go to a 35inch tall tire compared to the factories almost 33inch tall tire. When these truck were designed of course the Ford could have installed bigger tires but they have a wide variation of customers to satisfy. They need to be able to tow a load going up a hill while staying in front of a Chevrolet so thats why they have the drive train ratio of a tractor and not of a high speed vehicle.

Maybe on the higway the bigger tires will help, but everytime he has to stop and get going again is when the tires start to kill him. I'm all for getting bigger tires, but if you simply get them to save some mpgs, I really don't think they will help all that much since you can't just drive on the highway forever and ever and not stop. I don't think the affect they have on your mpgs at high speeds cancels out their negative affect on accelerating from a dead stop.

unkownfl
12-15-2009, 11:12 AM
The key to the equation is I said a 35 inch tall tire. A 33 inch tall tire gives the manufacture the best torque ability while being able to sustain a highway rpm that wouldn't have the turbo over 70% of its efficiency. I don't think of the top of my head that the 2 inch difference would reduce the city driving unless he was loaded with say 10000lbs of towing.

WGLandscapeMaintenance
12-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Lot's of guys like to say their trucks get better mileage than they actually are getting, either it's the DIC that's wrong or they're just stupid. You have to do hand calc to figure out your actual mileage. My dad has a Chevy 6.0, no mods, just 265s, down the freeway at 70-75 the best mileage he's seen is 13.5. City is about 11. Keep your powerstroke.

pitrack
12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
The key to the equation is I said a 35 inch tall tire. A 33 inch tall tire gives the manufacture the best torque ability while being able to sustain a highway rpm that wouldn't have the turbo over 70% of its efficiency. I don't think of the top of my head that the 2 inch difference would reduce the city driving unless he was loaded with say 10000lbs of towing.

Good point, but then that brings up the question: Why does he have a diesel if he isn't towing? Or maybe he is.

weed wacker 2
12-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I checked my mileage yesterday and I got 10.3 pulling my 16ft trailer with my sprayer on it. I usually get around 12 mpg with my 20ft loaded with my mowers. My foot isn't lead so I do not know what the deal is.

unkownfl
12-17-2009, 10:54 PM
If it is still under warranty bring it in and have them put the latest flash on the computer most of the time its updated and will improve mileage.

STIHL GUY
12-18-2009, 07:57 AM
you will regret getting rid of the diesel if you do.

Jason Rose
12-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Haha... The grass is always greeer on the other side I guess... I wanted a Diesel in trade for my gasser, and the OP wants a gasser.

I think, honestly, with the price of diesel, even if it gets a few mpg better, it's pretty much a draw. And that's not accounting for the extra cost to purchace and maintain...
With the diesel though, you can "chip" it and probably gain several MPGs over your best,as well as a ton of power.... Can't really do that with a gasser. Actually not at all.

And putting on larger tires to INCREASE mpg's... HAHAHAHA. you guys crack me up. That's a fine theory on paper, but it's very much NOT fact. The best you can do if you want to add larger tires is to do mods to improve your fuel economy just to break even.

buttaluv
12-18-2009, 02:30 PM
"Too many people buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't even like..."

Dude, I love that...soo True!!!

scagrider22
12-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I say keep the Powerstroke, but the newer GM 6.0s get pretty good mpg. I had a 2004 GMC 2500hd with a 6.0 that got 8-12 and now I have a 2008 GMC 6.0 and it gets 14-18, thats pretty good for a 3/4 ton gasser and the power of the 08 is way better than than the older style 6.0 but the Powerstroke will still pull a heavy load better, like a mini or a skid loader but if all your pulling is a mowing trailer the gasser may be better for you.If you want the power and mph get a duramax.

TXNSLighting
12-20-2009, 04:51 PM
I say keep the Powerstroke, but the newer GM 6.0s get pretty good mpg. I had a 2004 GMC 2500hd with a 6.0 that got 8-12 and now I have a 2008 GMC 6.0 and it gets 14-18, thats pretty good for a 3/4 ton gasser and the power of the 08 is way better than than the older style 6.0 but the Powerstroke will still pull a heavy load better, like a mini or a skid loader but if all your pulling is a mowing trailer the gasser may be better for you.If you want the power and mph get a duramax.

I have yet to see any 6.0 gasser get good economy..

WGLandscapeMaintenance
12-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I have yet to see any 6.0 gasser get good economy..

x2, like what I said before, I don't care who you are, there is no 6.0 gas that gets good mileage, anyone who says so is full of sh*t.

sunray
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
keep the diesel, I have a 2500hd 8.1 with the Allison and love it, but sucks the gas.
If you are in business and pulling stick with the diesel and forget about mileage.
The ability to pull what you hook to beats mileage every time, just my two cents.

Lawn Man Dave
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
You will regret it, I have only even known one guy with a 6.0 2500 that did not hate the MPG and with they would have just got a diesel...... at least then you have something that drinks the gas but will pull/push easier and least a lot longer.....

From what I have seen the dmax gets a few MPG better towing then the 6.0's also.... enough to make up for the sdded cost of diesel fuel...

If I was just pulling a lighter mower trailer I would just stick with a 1500 with a 5.3 though...

jbturf
12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
just my opinion

i have an 05 f350 similar to yours
and an
08 gmc 2500hd with 6.0 gas

the ford is far more heavy duty and better
suited for hauling and trailering tasks,
the gmc is far underpowered and really lacks low end torque
and has weak brakes and soft suspension, poor shifting trans- in comparison

the gmc is good for me as a daily driver and for plowing duties
the gmc seems to be showing a little better mpg than my ford and dodge trucks