PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Sprinter

Partner1
12-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm setting up a turf application vehicle and am considering a used Dodge Sprinter with the 5 cyl diesel option. I like the cargo space and the advertised fuel economy. The reviews on Edmunds.com seem to be split evenly between those that love them and those that recommend against them for business use because of the lack of reliabilty (lots of shop time). Does anyone have experience with these vehicles and their dependabilty?

Thanks

SNAPPER MAN
12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Personally I wouldn't use a van, I wouldn't like having all the chemicals inside with me. For applications I would just get a standard 3/4 ton long bed truck, or a 1 ton flat bed. But thats just me.

modedicebox
12-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Go with a cut away Sprinter with a flatbed. A local company around here has this setup and it looks sharp.

unkownfl
12-14-2009, 12:01 AM
A lot of spray company's use the sprinter/freight liner here. They are using the extra long one. The one's I see look to have at least a 500-600 gallon tank in it. Maxey and trugreen use them. They are using the poly tank in a wiremesh cage with some kind of pump system on it. I have seen the tanks they are using for like 100-200 bucks. My father uses the same tank's to recover used engine fluids at his shop.

Partner1
12-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's valuable. What I'm also interested in is whether anyone has experience with the mechanical reliability of the drive train of the Sprinter 2500 &/or 3500. Any issues with engine (Diesel 5 cyl) or transmission that you wouldn't expect in any vehicle used in this application.

srl28
12-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Guy that works for me used to deliver for a local electrical supply company and they had a sprinter van. Said the truck was excellent. Kind of an underdog in a way, hasnt really caught on yet. Said it had great power, nice features and got really great gas mileage. Comfort was something he made note of too.

unkownfl
12-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Mercedes diesels and transmission are the best in the mid size diesel engine market.

mowerbrad
12-14-2009, 07:19 PM
AMR ambulance has been getting more and more of these sprinter vans. Typically they would get the ford E-350 diesels or modular ambulances, but it looks like they are switching their van style ambulances to the spinter vans. The one complaint that I have heard from some of the paramedics that have driven these ambulances is that they are so much taller and a little narrower than the ford vans. So they were saying that turns can be a little "scary" if you aren't used to the height and narrowness of the van. So you will have to take into consideration that fact.

rcslawncare
12-15-2009, 07:49 AM
The interior in the sprinters are much more comfortable and the finish is greater than any type of vehicle like that. I would not mind spending my work week in one of those!

Jelinek61
12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
I to have seen that AMR is using the sprinters. My dads company, is in the fire protection business in muskegon and they just bought a 3500 and a 2500 sprinter this past year for fire sprinkler installs and they seem to love 'em. They also have a bunch of ford 350's with strongbox enclosed boxes on them and they say the sprinters get better gas mileage but not by much. On the other hand i drove the 2500 and the interior is pretty nice and its a smooth ride for sure.

carneylawn
12-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I have used enclosed vans for application. Just build a partition, and seal it. I just bought a sprinter love the space and handling. Sorry i can't give any rapair history. Make sure and do some kind of rust protection. I'm not sure which coating is best. Anyone have an opinion?

Partner1
12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
I have used enclosed vans for application. Just build a partition, and seal it. I just bought a sprinter love the space and handling. Sorry i can't give any rapair history. Make sure and do some kind of rust protection. I'm not sure which coating is best. Anyone have an opinion?

Did you purchase a 2500 or 3500? Buy new or used?

carneylawn
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
I bought a used 2006, 2500. The wheelbase is 140. I almost bought a 158 inch with 14 foot bed. This sprinter has the 10 foot bed. Less cargo space but much more better in residential areas. I think the payload is around 3800 lbs. The van does have the extra tall roof. That part is great!

Partner1
12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
I bought a used 2006, 2500. The wheelbase is 140. I almost bought a 158 inch with 14 foot bed. This sprinter has the 10 foot bed. Less cargo space but much more better in residential areas. I think the payload is around 3800 lbs. The van does have the extra tall roof. That part is great!

Carneylawn,

I sent you a message via this site.

Thanks