PDA

View Full Version : Heated walkway/sidewalk

VO Landscape Design
12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I am already tired of the ice and snow here. In the near future I will need to replace my concrete sidewalk. Anybody have any experience with heating sidewalks or patio's? Also I will be replacing the steps on the hill on the side of the house. Can they be heated also?
Thanks
VO

LouisianaLawnboy
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Move to Louisiana, where all sidewalks are heated.
Posted via Mobile Device

2low4NH
12-14-2009, 08:55 AM
yes the walk way can be heated its not cheap but can be done. i have done a few that were heated. we did one concrete with bluestone overlay that used radiant heat from water. the pex gets layed in under the concrete using hot water. works the same as radiant heat in a house. this job everything was done all the walk ways and drive way were heated. i also did 2 bluestone patios that were dry laid in a sand bed. these were heated by electric radiant. when they were run on high for a few hours there was no snow or ice or even water on them. 20 degrees out side and you can stand out there in a t-shirt and be comfortable. the electric was pretty simple. foam wire sand bedding stone.

Dreams To Designs
12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Heating a sidewalk will typically double the cost of the project. There are two options, hydronic (hot treated water from a boiler) & electric. Both have their advantages and disadvantages but both should be professionally installed or hooked in. The temperature does not need to be very high, around 40 degrees ground temperature will keep snow from accumulating or ice from forming. Many of the same companies producing infloor or radiant heat for homes, also manufacture similar systems for outdoor walkways and driveways.

Kirk

Drew Gemma
12-14-2009, 11:28 AM
How would I heat the tread on a raised patio. basically wach tread would need to be heated (4) also the shape is one fourth of a circle

2low4NH
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
the electrical is flexible or you can do poured risers and use wate