PDA

View Full Version : generator question

lawnwizards
12-13-2009, 08:33 PM
i'm in the market for a generator. i want to be prepared this winter just incase we have another ice storm like last year. the 2 models i'm looking at are 3250 continuous watts and 2800 continuous. to those who have one, which should i choose? i already have a kerosene heater i just need something to power up my t.v. and some lights and the refrigerator. thanks in advance.

Springmeadows
12-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Get the biggest one you can. Even at 3250 continous watts, it won't be enough for everything. I have a 3500 watt, and should have bought a 5000. Also, get some kind of wheels or cart or something. I really regret not having some way to roll it around so I went and bought a dolly. Also remember to shut off your main breaker when hooking a generator to your house panel if you go that route. Power can go through your main when it's on and out into the lines and kill someone working on downed lines. My brother inlaw is a lineman and he has seen it happen to a member of his crew. Be Carefull and know what you're doing. Many states will also hold you liable if someone gets hurt down the line, it would be terrible to hurt/kill someone.

delphied
12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I wouldnt run anything but the fridge and a few lights because low wattage can fry electrical devices. Portable generators are for just a few things. After that the wattage isnt enough.

MJB
12-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Watch Craigslist in your area. I picked up a brand new 6250 peak watt
5000 watt cont. generator for $300 and it couldn't have more than 10 hrs on it.

topsites
12-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Yeah you really can't run most any electronics on a generator, it has to do
with dirty electricity and you can try line filters and all sorts of stuff but I
speak from experience when I say it likes to slowly fry electronics.

When I say slowly I'm not talking hours, it starts the moment you turn it on but it's a slow
process, sometimes you get lucky, other times you don't, simple answer is if you plug any
electronic appliance to a generator then you should be prepared to replace it.

It's nothing like being on the grid, some things can be ran but I'd bet in winter your kerosene heater would be the bigger asset.

Refrigerator, washing machine, the microwave might be ok, coffee machine,
freezer, vacuum cleaner (the cheaper ones anyhow), fans, lights (CFL's do ok with it),
a portable electric grill / griddle, but no TV's, no stereos, no computers.

I'm figuring you could run the compressor, assuming the weather is half-cooperative it might work well for doing maintenance,
on that note I am also assuming you have an air compressor and if you don't, I'd get one of those first.

Doesn't hardly matter the wattage between 3250 and 2800 both are ok but
unless there's a big price difference I'd get the 3250.

loyd meeks
12-14-2009, 03:21 AM
I have a 7500 continuous. It runs furnace, 2 refrigerators,microwave, 3 tv's, satellite tv and Internet receivers, and all lights. To use hot water (elect) we turn most everything off till done. we run our computers through a battery backup.