PDA

View Full Version : starting a new customer base...in a bad economy

Springmeadows
12-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I debating on how to start a new customer base this coming Spring. I have been in business since 1991, but all my customers have moved on over the years. Now I left to either rebuild or close up shop. I really don't know what to do or how to do it. The economy has hit us really hard in Western NC.

I don't want to resort to lowballing but people shop price and not quality here. Do I join the ranks of the lowballer?

Over the years I have tried every kind of advertising there is. Nothing seems to work. Newspaper ads, radio spots, signs, canvasing neighborhoods, opening a retail store to sell smaller items... What else is there?

Just trying to get ideas, I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. Lot's of experience but nothing to do with it so far.

Paradise Landscapes
12-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Alot of pros out there are saying to keep on marketing your business. The longer you keep your marketing and advertising, the longer you'll be remembered when this economy does turn arround, people will be buying.

lawnwizards
12-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I debating on how to start a new customer base this coming Spring. I have been in business since 1991, but all my customers have moved on over the years. Now I left to either rebuild or close up shop. I really don't know what to do or how to do it. The economy has hit us really hard in Western NC.

I don't want to resort to lowballing but people shop price and not quality here. Do I join the ranks of the lowballer?

Over the years I have tried every kind of advertising there is. Nothing seems to work. Newspaper ads, radio spots, signs, canvasing neighborhoods, opening a retail store to sell smaller items... What else is there?

Just trying to get ideas, I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. Lot's of experience but nothing to do with it so far.

you could try to get on with a bigger outfit. i'm sure with your experience you could be a foreman or something. worth a shot if youre really in a bind. goodluck.

Springmeadows
12-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I have submitted my resume to over 20 outfits all of which would require me and my family relocating. I am willing to relocate and kinda look forward to it. Our house would have to sell as well as some of my equipment. Really hard thing to do here, but definitely possible with some time. Our house is for sale so it could happen. I posted on here a month ago, when do the bigger companies hire? Is there a time of year that's better than others to submit resumes?

I am ready for a change, but can't work for $10 an hour. Gotta be a legitimate job offer, if there is such a thing.

larrylaverne
12-13-2009, 10:10 PM
imo.... create services that maybe you didn't offer before, such as auto cleaning(ext.)and/or interior vac/cleaning....example; your on a yard cutting, and you got the car in the drive. also retail parking lot vac/sweeping, also business window cleaning service. can you and the wife add house cleaning service also. garage cleaning service. create something to add to your grass/landscaping.does the city ,county,farm out excess work?any camprounds or rv parks to bid? good luck