PDA

View Full Version : Box Truck or Pick Up Truck - Thoughts?

Addison Landscaping
12-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Hey Guys -

Quick intro....
I'm starting my Landscaping business in March 2010 - I was suppose to start this year but I launched my used car business instead.

With that being said -- I have access to thousands of cars, and trucks at wholesale prices.

So I've been pricing out what my start up costs are going to be -- and the biggest one of course if the work horse!!!

Now I know that Ford, GM and Dodge all build great trucks... and I would go with a 250/2500 series and higher if I went with a pick up.

But my questions is -- what do you guys think about starting with a Ford box truck -- that has a hydraulic lift on the back.

I can of course decal up the sides with my company everything... and store the equipment inside.

If I went with a pick up I would get a trailer...

What do you guys think.... ???

johnnybravo8802
12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
I am in the same quandering. I have a truck and trailer and am considering stepping up to a dually with a dump and pull my trailer for my first choice. I would probably go with an enclosed trailer down the road. My second choice is an 18' box truck-Isuzu or LCF-most have steered me to the Isuzu. The fact is, I bought a brand new 01' Isuzu back in the day and loved it. It's the only way to go for lawn maintenance. The dilemma, for me, is having two trucks to keep up and two trucks in the drive. However, for the convenience, I am leaning towards the Isuzu but that dump sure would be nice. I'm so...... confused!!!!!:cry:

4 seasons lawn&land
12-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I bought a new 2500 when I started. wish I woulda' went used and saved some more for a cab over box truck. But I am also in NY so it would have to be a Mitsu-fuso FG,
the only 4x4 cab over.

But I do really like the Silverado. If I had the box truck instead I'd need another vehicle for personal use so it saves there.

Addison Landscaping
12-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Box trucks are great and I can get them at a steal.... but I need it be 4x4... and of course useful!

XLS
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
johnny ..........ask youself what your use of the dump is going to be........what do you need the dump for ,what purposes will it primarily be used for.

alf500series
12-15-2009, 10:07 PM
here is mine

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=290870

i was an att service truck. it works great and has lots of storage. next year it will also have a new generator mounted back uptop as well since it was wired for one previously.

johnnybravo8802
12-15-2009, 10:41 PM
johnny ..........ask youself what your use of the dump is going to be........what do you need the dump for ,what purposes will it primarily be used for.
I was mainly going to use it for leaf removal-going to build a box and get a truck loader and start a new service. I also have the occasional landscape job I could use it for. Third, I was planning to use it for shrubbery clippings. I have about 2000 shrubs I trim at a retirement village, I vacuum up the clippings with my LW vac and then I have to push it to the other side of the center to empty. The dump would save a lot of time. I can get by w/o the dump but it would be nice. I could also get by w/o the box truck but it would be nice, for obvious reasons. I'm trying to decide which luxury I'd rather have.

XLS
12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
do you have a loader,bobcat?

johnnybravo8802
12-15-2009, 11:24 PM
do you have a loader,bobcat?
No, I used to have a 30HP New Holland with loader but sold it. I only have mowers now. I rent equipment as I need it. I am 99% lawn maintenance.