PDA

View Full Version : best mower type for unimproved ROCKY lots

JSW Development
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Hello All-

This is my first post and I'm new to the lawn care business. I'm in the erosion control and earth moving business and after a request by a client I am now maintaining (re: mowing and clearing) undeveloped and unimproved lots.

Im in the wonderful city of San Antonio and most undeveloped lots are full of rocks ranging from pebbles to Volkswagen sized. Im curious about what mower type is best suited for this type of job.

Some background info-
Started with a Husky push mower a POS craftsman 46" tractor, and a Stihl brushcutter/trimmer. The Stihl works great, no problems there. Ruined the tractor in 2 weeks and returned it. Bought a Gravely 1336 Pro with sulky and thats what Im using now. Is this what I should be using? The 4" deck height is sufficient and it does a good job, but is there a better method to get the job done faster.

Thanks in advance for any input.

N.TX
12-13-2009, 10:06 PM
The ideal thing would be a brush hog if its really rough but if you want a zero turn then I would get a rear discharge deck as to not throw rocks at cars houses people ect... Grasshopper has a new rear discharge that is suppost to be nice.

doubleedge
12-14-2009, 12:14 AM
If you have a tractor, you could buy a flail mower attachment for it. Flail mowers don't throw debris very far and wont be easily damaged by hitting a couple of rocks.

topsites
12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Yup, flail mowers or brush cutters would have to be the equipment of choice, pto driven would definitely get the work done.

lawnMaster5000
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
depending on how rough these properties are you may consider getting a mower attachment for your skid steer. They work pretty well and in ANY conditions.

i think you can get brush hogs and flail mower attachments. I know Bobcat sells one.

JSW Development
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Most lots are too wooded to get a tractor or skid loader in there. I did a few lots today and noticed that the undulations made it impossible to use even my new gravely. Im thinking now of adding another stihl 250 or 310 with an employee and doing them by hand. It sucks but I think its the only way to get it done.

cutbetterthanyou
12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Not sure how it would work but maybe try those megmo blades i would think if you hit something they would act like a bushhogg and swing around instead of breaking your spinde. Never used them but that is what they remind me of , a bushogg.