PDA

View Full Version : Best way to attach blower/trimmer racks

Big C
12-13-2009, 10:47 PM
What is the best way to attach blower/trimmer racks on an open trailer.....bolt-on or tack weld?

93Chevy
12-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Mine are bolted on. I've never seen any welded. I'm sure it would work though.

Tennesseepowerstroke
12-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Mine are bolted on. If I had a welder and knew how to use it they would be welded on.

Glenn Lawn Care
12-13-2009, 11:52 PM
my are bolted on... if i ever sell my trailer i can take them off and put them on the new one. welding wont be that easy to take off

Big C
12-14-2009, 12:58 AM
What is the best way to attach blower/trimmer racks on an open trailer.....bolt-on or tack weld?

Yeah mine are bolted onto the trailer that I currently use, but I am in the process of converting all of my racks to my new trailer and thought about welding them...just wanted to know what you guys thought

Richard Martin
12-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Mine are bolted on. I had them on a smaller trailer and moved them to the 7.5 X 16 trailer I have now.

joel29m
12-14-2009, 02:53 AM
mine are bolt on also. i thought about tack welding it on, but just in case i want to get better racks which i will, i wont weld it.

topsites
12-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I would think welding is better in terms of how it holds but it's not good for the paint,
you have to repaint the welded surfaces and it's not the same as the original paint,
my biggest problems with welds is the rust that comes with it...

Tennesseepowerstroke
12-14-2009, 09:29 AM
Welding comes closer to eliminate the chance of someone borrowing them. Most of these racks are lockable, but someone can just unbolt the rack and help themselves to it also.

joel29m
12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Welding comes closer to eliminate the chance of someone borrowing them. Most of these racks are lockable, but someone can just unbolt the rack and help themselves to it also.

Yeah I thought about that also. I'm thinking about getting a cage on front of the trailer to put all my trimmers and blowers in or a bed cover for my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pat'sPerfectLawnService
12-14-2009, 10:00 AM
i also use bolt-on so if i ever have to move them

Richard Martin
12-14-2009, 10:15 AM

Most of the racks are so easy to defeat it's not even funny. Welding them does no good when your trimmer can be removed (even if it's locked) in under 10 seconds. If the rack can be opened with either a 2 foot length of pipe or a set of bolt cutters then all you're doing is keeping honest people honest.

It's like taking the key out of your mower when 95% of the mowers on the market all use the exact same key. What's to stop someone from bringing their own key or even a screwdriver?

MikeKle
12-14-2009, 11:54 AM
The racks I made have 6 bolts on each trimmer "tower", and I used 2 different sized bolts,(3/8-1/2) so if someone was trying to unbolt them, it would take them awhile! Plus to even get to the nut that is on the bottom trailer rail, they would need an extra long combo wrench to get behind the trailer tire! I thought about welding mine on, but it wouldve been hard to cut off if I change trailers.

Kennedy Landscaping
12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I have been thinking about this too. Its hard to mount on pipe top like my trailer. But I'll be making customer racks soon too and I just can't decide what I'm going to do.

Jason Rose
12-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Yep, just bolt 'em on.

For a pipe top rail you could weld, or have welded on a length of angle iron onto the top so you would have a flat/square surface to attach the racks.

Big C
12-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Yep, just bolt 'em on.

For a pipe top rail you could weld, or have welded on a length of angle iron onto the top so you would have a flat/square surface to attach the racks.

My trailer has a piptop and I will use a U-bolt to secure it around the pipe...if that doesnt work then I will weld.

Jhill19
12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I put some locktite on my bolts that way if someone trys to unbolt the racks from the trailer it's gonna take a long time and they won't have time before they get caught and see a ruger coming towards them.

Tennesseepowerstroke
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Most of the racks are so easy to defeat it's not even funny. Welding them does no good when your trimmer can be removed (even if it's locked) in under 10 seconds. If the rack can be opened with either a 2 foot length of pipe or a set of bolt cutters then all you're doing is keeping honest people honest.

It's like taking the key out of your mower when 95% of the mowers on the market all use the exact same key. What's to stop someone from bringing their own key or even a screwdriver?

I looked at a lot of racks and bought the Green Touch Industries Extreme Rack. I would like to think it was the most secure one I found, but as you say if someone wants something they will get it. The whole trailer or maybe even the tow vehicle also.

I was pretty suprised my Exmark zero turn mower and my John Deere commercial walk behind have the same key. My 20 year old John Deere rider has a much more secure looking key than either.

BigGreen1
12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I tapped the trailer rails for the bolt that went through them. I tightened it down to the trailer then added nuts on the bottom.

Tim