PDA

View Full Version : Fixture need

BrandonV
12-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Guys I'm needing a 120v flood to go on a home. I originally priced the project with several of joey's fixtures and had everything downlit and it was going to be hot! BUT then the HO told me that what he wants is a big flood light in the front yard that he can turn on and off. I'm a little bummed out, but the customer is usually right. Anyways I need a little guidance on the fixture. I actually removed some from a home that were HID and about 12"x4" but I can't find them or remember the brand, I think this is what he's going for. any suggestions.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Brandon... I ALWAYS do everything in my power to remove, eliminate and steer people away from such choices. Lights like this have no place in a residential community.

I would instead better educate your client that a large number of strategically placed, controlled output fixtures (I.E. a lighting SYSTEM) do a much better job of making the property safe and secure than one or two overly bright, glare filled, floods.

In one case, I actually walked away from a potential job where the client wanted to integrate large 500W flood on the back of the house, shining into the yard (and all of the neighbours' yards). I was not going to put my name on anything that created light polution, glare, veiling luminance and light trespass.

There are better ways to give the client what they want (or think they want). It is up to you to "show them the light".

Regards.

BrandonV
12-15-2009, 01:17 PM
oh I am, I'm pretty much offering to install the lights and remove them if he ain't happy. Just want to have the option ready if he insist. And you may be right about walking away. I'll do my best.

Eden Lights
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I always refer them to another electrician that does "Funeral Home" lighting, sometimes they smile, and sometimes they dont!

JoeyD
12-16-2009, 10:52 AM
hahah....thats a good one Eddie!

jshimmin
12-16-2009, 08:41 PM
An evening demo of the two different systems usually works. I keep a variety of line voltage fixtures rigged just to show the difference.