PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall pics

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
12-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Just a few pics of a wall we finished. not to fond of allen block due to all the inconsistant blocks with leveling. too much extra time in scraping and releveling each row.

kootoomootoo
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
if not a fan why use it..

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
12-15-2009, 05:50 PM
it was the style that client liked. so not having installed it before I thought what the hell. don't get me wrong its a nice block just not sure if every goes threw the same poblems I did. could have been a bad batch. every single peice had to be scraped/ pouned and in some cases ground down. due to to much concrete slopage.

klaf
12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
I use allan block all the time and recommend it whenever I can. I definitely do not have the problems with it that it sounds like you are having. Although I must say they need to redesign their corner blocks. They always sag due to the fact that they are universal and the lip underneath ends up sitting inside the hole and not on the block beneath it.

Bleed Green
12-15-2009, 09:26 PM
The end result looks good even if you had some problems along the way.

alf500series
12-15-2009, 09:35 PM
looks great what did u charge for it?

mdlwn1
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Looks like you took your time. I truly LOL at the amount of times I have seen that block 5 courses high and starting to look really bad....the few times I pointed it out, the installer was like huh? Whadyamean?

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
12-15-2009, 09:42 PM
let just say not enough it all works out with the client I will break even I estamated in the 4s but labor killed

ridgewood
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Are you saying you charged $4,000+ for the wall and you did not make a profit? And why do you say "labor killed?" Didnt you know how much labor was going to cost you before you began, or was there an over-run in man hours?
Anyways, it looks professionally done. Congrats.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
12-16-2009, 12:23 PM
big over run in man hours plus the wall went higher then we had planned on. all materials are covered and i'm working with the client regarding extra labor charges. what would you have charged to do this approx 280 blocks. Kinda off topic but we do installation around cell phone towers hear in oregon and make aboat a 500% profit on the tower installation. Tower installs have been slow this year but should be picking up soon I hope. I know you think that crazy and so do I. they don't even second guess it.
Thanks

GMTA
12-16-2009, 06:59 PM
280 blocks and in the 4k range I am not surprised you made no money...heck i think most of us would have lost money there. Your 1st "o $hit" was probably when the materials bill came out. Looks nice! What is the white on the wall face in the 1st pic?

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
12-16-2009, 07:35 PM
took the pics after i hosed it off. That was the spot I missed. So far they covered all materials and them some and just got word that they are going to cover labor as well but not all of it. In your mind you think you can knock it out quick then reallity sets in live and learn

MJS
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Wow, nice work - looks great. Would never be able to tell from the finished look that the bricks were giving you problems...

sicnj
12-16-2009, 11:39 PM
In your mind you think you can knock it out quick then reallity sets in live and learn
oh yeah sometimes I hate reality

Even Cut Lawn Care
12-18-2009, 01:53 AM
Just curious how many hours did you have in this wall?

scagrider22
12-18-2009, 03:32 AM
I have also had many problems with allen block being different sizes, some have been up to a 1/4" to tall, but I later found out why. In my case it was because they made the block at two different locations and the one locations molds where off. But even with the ocasional problems its still imo the best block to lay for a medium to large size wall(unless its near a road that gets salted in the winter, the face of the block will disinigrate in 10 years). And a good rule of thumb on pricing allen block, if you cant get atleast $20 per block let someone else do the job, your wall looks great keep it up.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
About 90 man hr or so. i'm glad some one else had the same issue I was talking about. The molds were off and seems like the base went smooth the from there on it was relevel re check etc.

zedosix
12-18-2009, 10:30 AM
About 90 man hr or so. i'm glad some one else had the same issue I was talking about. The molds were off and seems like the base went smooth the from there on it was relevel re check etc.

Allan block is the bottom of the barrel in quality and looks. If you want a sure fire installation with minimal to no problems, look at techo blok

billwlod
12-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I try to never use the corners they have been **** for years