PDA

View Full Version : Best set up for cutting pavers?

tamo
12-15-2009, 03:19 PM
In the few paver jobs I've done in the past I've always used a tub saw.

I'm going to be buying some equipment this winter. What's the best way to cut pavers.

I guess the 3 options are:

tub saw
cut off saw
splitter

I know each has its own benefits. Would a splitter and a cut off saw be a good combo to make all of the necessary cuts?

thanks.

zedosix
12-15-2009, 04:48 PM
In the few paver jobs I've done in the past I've always used a tub saw.

I'm going to be buying some equipment this winter. What's the best way to cut pavers.

I guess the 3 options are:

tub saw
cut off saw
splitter

I know each has its own benefits. Would a splitter and a cut off saw be a good combo to make all of the necessary cuts?

thanks.

Alot of guys "cut in place" with the cut off saw, I personally like the tile saw the best. Splitters are great but only for certain applications. Its all about preferance. If you like breathing dust and pissing off the neighbours then "cutting in place" is the way to go. There are water attachments that keep the dust in control, but its a hell of a mess too. The sand bed and brick pavers take a beating also with this method.

BrandonV
12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a new saw, any recommendations zedosix?

amscapes03
12-15-2009, 09:41 PM
I agree with Zed06. I personally have 2 MK Saws. 1. Mk Diamond "Brick Extreme" 14" (Dry) Brick Saw. Light, affordable, very portable and VERY Dusty. 2. MK-2001 14" Elec. Wet Saw with stand. Zero dust is a beautiful thing! Very pleased with both. For very small jobs, like a running bond walkway with 10 to 15 cuts at the ends, i just use my grinder with a 7" blade. I also find myself using the small grinder with a 4" blade for scoring or sculpting. I remember the good old days when i first started out (13 or so years) on my knees, in a cloud of dust with a skill saw in hand cutting away. Crazy!

zedosix
12-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a new saw, any recommendations zedosix?

155961 Pro MK-2005 is the code for this saw. Check it out. I believe they took over from "target" a couple years back.

amscapes03
12-15-2009, 10:19 PM
hey Zedosix. Do you know anything about this company? www.contrxsystems.com I'm also in the market for a new, bigger saw. 20 to 22 inch. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Off subject.........is the 2010 Vet with the LS9 under the hood on your christmas wish list?

zedosix
12-15-2009, 10:32 PM
hey Zedosix. Do you know anything about this company? www.contrxsystems.com I'm also in the market for a new, bigger saw. 20 to 22 inch. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Off subject.........is the 2010 Vet with the LS9 under the hood on your christmas wish list?

Never heard of them, I know of a few guys who run the bigger saws with the 20" blade. Thats alot of saw, necessary if you do alot of srw walls I suppose.

ya, thats quite a car isn't it. I just plain can't afford the 150k plus tax. Maybe in a year or two if the price comes down. Here's the one I'll get when I'm ready. By then they will have the new c7 and the prices should be within reach! I hope.

BrandonV
12-16-2009, 09:06 PM
That's an awesome saw, nice price too. I was poking around and found this one. Link (http://www.drillspot.com/products/444137/MK_Diamond_Products_MK-2001SV_Wet_Cut_Masonry_Saw) does it look identical to you? I prefer to keep things electric because we'll usually bring our generator and put it far off to keep noise levels down. Thanks!

billwlod
12-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Tub saw is the best but you have set up time walking back and fourth clean up and storage.
Chop saw is quick and easy buy 2 for the price of a tub saw get a Husqvarna 750 0r 960 The partner I have requires way to much maintenance compared to my husky. Way better filter on it!! http://www.dowdconstructionsupply.com/HusqvarnaK750.html

Brick breaker for the tumbled roman pavers to get the same look when you cut (get one at princess auto $100)

billwlod
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I meant the stihl not partner

DVS Hardscaper
12-16-2009, 10:45 PM
There is only one saw when it comes to hardscapes.

And if you ask nicely and buy him lunch - the guy in the pic might even cut a few pavers for you....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/MasonryMagSawAd1.jpg

billwlod
12-17-2009, 12:27 AM
I like the stand thats pretty sweet

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 01:52 AM
The fastest way imo is to leave out your soldier course, lay all your pavers as far out to the edge of your patio as you can without making a cut, then lay out your soldier course on top of the pavers where they would go as if you installed them first, then take your pencil and mark a line all the way around the inside edge of your soldier course, then I score all the way around with a cut off saw so i dont lose my line, then I make another pass with the cut off saw cutting all the way through, then you pull out the scrap pieces and your soldier course will drop rite into place. Ive done it everyway possible and for us this way is much faster, and if your worried about dust you can hook the saw up to a hose.

billwlod
12-17-2009, 02:02 AM
way faster but use a cheep blade

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I buy cheap diamond blades and only use 3-4 a year with 2 saws running daily.

zedosix
12-17-2009, 06:44 AM
Its not always about being faster, its about doing the best job possible.

zedosix
12-17-2009, 06:52 AM
There is only one saw when it comes to hardscapes.

And if you ask nicely and buy him lunch - the guy in the pic might even cut a few pavers for you....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/ScapeItWS6360CJ7/MasonryMagSawAd1.jpg

Sure Andrew, what do you want for lunch?

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 07:03 AM
It is about the doing the best job, and using a cut off saw you are able to cut contures much better so imo a cut off saw will give you a better cut on any patio that has some shape to it. So in this case the faster way is the better way.

zedosix
12-17-2009, 07:12 AM
It is about the doing the best job, and using a cut off saw you are able to cut contures much better so imo a cut off saw will give you a better cut on any patio that has some shape to it. So in this case the faster way is the better way.

I've trained my guys to do cutting on the table saw and the cuts are second to none. Its easier imo to manouver the brick on the table saw then to cut in place and have the brick cut on an angle. Our cuts are 90deg. and are smoother than most any I've seen. Its what has worked best, plus our screed base doesn't get messed up.

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 07:13 AM
And I think the wet saws like the one in your advertisment are very dangerous, your fingers are very close to the blade especially when cutting small pavers, if you look at the pic you posted the guys thumbs are directly behind the blade and sometimes those saws jam up and yank the paver through which could easily take off your thumbs.

zedosix
12-17-2009, 07:17 AM
And I think the wet saws like the one in your advertisment are very dangerous, your fingers are very close to the blade especially when cutting small pavers, if you look at the pic you posted the guys thumbs are directly behind the blade and sometimes those saws jam up and yank the paver through which could easily take off your thumbs.

Well, considering I've cut on a table saw since 1985 and I would guess 100's of thousands of cuts I have all my thumbs and fingers. Never had a guy even come close to losing a finger.

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Both ways def. have there benefits and I understand what your saying, but I myself can cut very well with a cut off saw and Im more comfortable using it.

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 07:22 AM
If I wasnt on the job doing the cutting myself then I would get a table saw to ensure the employees made nice cuts.

zedosix
12-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Keep at it the way you are and keep posting your pics. btw, its not my ad. Its DVS's.

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
I just recently joined this site so I have not had a chance to post alot of pics yet, but I will add some over the winter.

billwlod
12-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I have recently purchased a diamond bade for my grinder for those notch cuts around conduit or irrigation lines. Its a little safer and can have better precision.

DVS Hardscaper
12-17-2009, 08:03 PM

Gotta keep in mind angles of photograghy can make things look different than they are. Infact, in the pic.......thumbs aint even visible :)

My thumbs are NOT "directly behind the blade". Absolutely positively not. I always, and my guys are trained to keep all fingers away from the path of the blade in the event the paver or block would suddenly yank through.

scagrider22
12-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Gotta keep in mind angles of photograghy can make things look different than they are. Infact, in the pic.......thumbs aint even visible :)

My thumbs are NOT "directly behind the blade". Absolutely positively not. I always, and my guys are trained to keep all fingers away from the path of the blade in the event the paver or block would suddenly yank through.

Your getting a little to critical, Im sure you understand what I meant and you cant see his thumbs because they are behind the blade, personally I dont care for the table saw, I used them for years and just dont like them and I understand that alot of people do, but my point was if I can cut just a good with a cut off saw and save hours of time then why would I use one. Im not saying your way is wrong its just wrong for me.

Your getting a little to critical, Im sure you understand what I meant and you cant see his thumbs because they are behind the blade, personally I dont care for the table saw, I used them for years and just dont like them and I understand that alot of people do, but my point was if I can cut just a good with a cut off saw and save hours of time then why would I use one. Im not saying your way is wrong its just wrong for me.

DVS Hardscaper
12-17-2009, 10:30 PM

Not critical at all. Just telling you my thumbs are NOT behind the blade in that picture. Knowing my habits, they're tucked behind the back of the table. Having 2 people shooting pictures of the saw in operation, and a 3rd shooting video - I think I know how to strike a pose :)

Many folks here are owner operators. If you're the one doing all the cutting and you know how to do it - then a hand held saw would probably work great.

If you have employees and if you have a little bit of a turn -over of laborers - then a tub saw would ensure plumb, clean, square cuts.

When it comes to mitering wall caps and step treads - a tub saw is the way to go.

I know a mechanic that uses impact wrenches and has no desire to use an air ratchet. Yet, I know another mechanic that uses an air ratchet all the time.

klaf
12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
155961 Pro MK-2005 is the code for this saw. Check it out. I believe they took over from "target" a couple years back.

I believe Target was taken over by Husqvarna. My wet saw is essentially the same model as my old bosses wet saw. He has a target and mine is a husqvarna.

tamo
12-18-2009, 01:52 PM
the cut-off saw I have an opportunity to buy is a 12" Partner. I've heard Partners have a hard time starting.

What do you guys think of these saws?

I could get it for $400.00

scagrider22
12-18-2009, 05:31 PM
the cut-off saw I have an opportunity to buy is a 12" Partner. I've heard Partners have a hard time starting.

What do you guys think of these saws?

I could get it for $400.00

I have stihl and partner, as long as you clean the air filters daily you wont have any problems with it, my partner is lighter and cuts faster

Moneypit
12-18-2009, 10:33 PM
I also have a Partner and never had any problems with starting it. Like georgerk82 said, just keep the filter clean.

billwlod
12-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I loved my partner got 4 solid hard working years out of it

BrandonV
12-19-2009, 08:45 AM
DVS what is that approx cost of that setup +/-$500

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 02:08 PM
I have gone to 'scoring' a cut with the cutoff saw and then finishing the cut with a Brick Xtreme saw. I agree the cutoff saw can mess with the bedding sand but if I am doing a straight cut I still will do the whole thing with the Sthil cutoff saw. I do think the cuts are more precise with the table type cutoff saws.

The big thing is getting rid of the dust, I am getting sick of the mess it makes. I like the attachment and vacuum that DVS posted, how good does that work? Not sure I like the gas powered part, what do you think about that?

zedosix
12-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I have gone to 'scoring' a cut with the cutoff saw and then finishing the cut with a Brick Xtreme saw. I agree the cutoff saw can mess with the bedding sand but if I am doing a straight cut I still will do the whole thing with the Sthil cutoff saw. I do think the cuts are more precise with the table type cutoff saws.

The big thing is getting rid of the dust, I am getting sick of the mess it makes. I like the attachment and vacuum that DVS posted, how good does that work? Not sure I like the gas powered part, what do you think about that?

Gas powered is really the best way to go. No fuse shortages to worry about and mobility is unlimited.

billwlod
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
gas is the only way 2 go

DVS Hardscaper
12-19-2009, 06:09 PM
DVS what is that approx cost of that setup +/-$500

I think the saw is around $2500.00

And the vac I don't know how much it is.

Twitchy
12-19-2009, 06:21 PM

I make my cuts the same way. Cut the straights and minor radius with a 14'' gas cut off saw, then score the tight radius w/ the same saw and then take it to the table. I try to cut as much as i can w/ the gas because of time savings. Plus i'm surgical w/ a gas saw.

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Gas powered is really the best way to go. No fuse shortages to worry about and mobility is unlimited.

That is true, there has been a few times when the electrical hasn't handled the saw. the last wall this year I had to rent a generator as the power wasn't in yet.

$2500 isn't that bad but I want a bigger compactor first.

BrandonV
12-20-2009, 09:03 AM
I usually run things off our generator. I like having only 1 engine to take care of, electric motors are so much less maintenance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scaping 4 Life
12-21-2009, 07:03 AM
stihl ts420, learn to love it. hey guys.....:waving:

S&S Outdoor Services
12-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Has anyone dealt with the Husqvarna Brickie? It seems like a nice heavy duty little set up. We've tried the cut off saws, wet saws and chop saws. As long as your down wind from the dust, I would take the dry chop saw, I think it's easier to see where you're cutting and I've found the electrical saws to have more power. Besides the cut off saw, we've only rented so far and all their stuff is MK, I wasn't too impressed with any of it. They seem to all have their flaws.

BrandonV
12-28-2009, 09:41 PM
ordered this sunday as my christmas present :-(
will let you know how it goes.

zedosix
12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
where is the gas tank? :)

BrandonV
12-29-2009, 08:21 PM
it arrived today!?!? Everything looks great except I don't think the "universal stand" is universal for this model. Oh well, we put some plywood on it and I guess we'll make due.