PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Dodge Ram HD

dirtybiz
12-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Was at local dealership this morning picking up my dodge after getting front axle ujoints replaced, and noticed a new 2011 HD sitting there. So while my truck was warming up this morning i went over and checked it out. I have to tell you i am a Ford guy (with the exception of one dodge while ford had the 6.0hno), and i was pretty impressed.

Seems like dodge might actually have something now to compete in the fullsize crew cab market. I did not drive it because i am not interested in one at this point and time, but would definately consider it if i was. I highly doubt i would trade my 08 F350 in on one, but would look at them very hard for a employee/work truck. Especially since they have been making the tranny/engine for a good 3+ years now and ford and gm both are having to come out w/new engines to meet emissions. Will be interesting to see how they hold up, you might go check them out if you are in the market for a new HD!

Lawn Man Dave
12-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I know a guy with a Dodge 2500 and loves it but took out an 2010 for the fun of it (slow day at the dealer I guess) and it had the air conditioned seats... If I remember they said it was for the 1500's only (may not be that way still)...... That option is very nice on the hot summer day's and they over have heated seats for the winter also.........

I have not seen a Ford with this option but that does not mean they are not out there.

Evan528
12-15-2009, 04:56 PM
I used to have an 05 Lincoln Navigator (ford) that had the air conditioned seats. It was great on those 95 degree summer days!

dirtybiz
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Something about air conditioned seats just doesn't seem right, but i am sure it is nice. I beleive even the back seats in the new dodge are heated! Much more important around here!

pitrack
12-15-2009, 05:25 PM
I think the new body style is growing on me. I have had an 01, 05 and now an 07 Ram. And everytime they came out with a new body style I didn't like it then it started to grow on me. haha

Lawn Man Dave
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Something about air conditioned seats just doesn't seem right, but i am sure it is nice. I beleive even the back seats in the new dodge are heated! Much more important around here!

It's nice when it is super hot out....... not only does it keep your shirt from sticking to the seat due to sweat but it helps cool you off...... It is not very intense......... think of it as a ver very light breeze....... I love it. It workes like an air hockey table.

TXNSLighting
12-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Our dealer just got one. I havent stopped and looked at it, but it looks nice from the road! My Ford dealer had the 2011 Super duty on the lot for people to check out. And man that thing was nice! you wont believe how quiet it is either. It kinda has a deep cummins rumble to it as well. Very nice truck.

Im gonna stop tomorrow and look at the new Ram HD. I bet its nice.

South Florida Lawns
12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Its funny the only ram I'd ever own is the second generation. Just something about that design appeals to me. The power wagon is cool with the new paint scheme, I'm just not a fan of the Hemi. But that's just me and I'm not brand loyal either.

Panhead
12-16-2009, 03:34 AM
They look great in my opinion and so glad they stuck with the front solid axle. 3 generations going strong. I just love the front end.

WH401
12-16-2009, 08:59 AM
They do look nice, and they were voted Motor Trend Truck of the Year, http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/112_1002_2010_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year_winner_ram_heavy_duty/index.html

dirtybiz
12-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Our dealer just got one. I havent stopped and looked at it, but it looks nice from the road! My Ford dealer had the 2011 Super duty on the lot for people to check out. And man that thing was nice! you wont believe how quiet it is either. It kinda has a deep cummins rumble to it as well. Very nice truck.

Im gonna stop tomorrow and look at the new Ram HD. I bet its nice.

I would love to see/drive the new 2011 ford 6.7L, but wouldn't touch one with a 10' stick for a year or so, seeing how it is ford's first diesel in how many years?? And i am a huge ford fan! Would love that 6sp tranny in my 08 though!

I think dodge has the advantage right now, as both ford and gm had to go back to the drawing table in order to meet emissions again. Meanwhile the dodge 6.7l has not changed since 07, upon which they have had 3+ years to work out the bugs. Plus a newly redesigned truck w/full size crew cab! Will be interesting next year in the diesel world.

TXNSLighting
12-17-2009, 12:42 AM
They do look nice, and they were voted Motor Trend Truck of the Year, http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/112_1002_2010_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year_winner_ram_heavy_duty/index.html

Who gives a crap..Every new truck that comes out gets that award. Its worthless.

TXNSLighting
12-17-2009, 12:45 AM
I would love to see/drive the new 2011 ford 6.7L, but wouldn't touch one with a 10' stick for a year or so, seeing how it is ford's first diesel in how many years?? And i am a huge ford fan! Would love that 6sp tranny in my 08 though!

I think dodge has the advantage right now, as both ford and gm had to go back to the drawing table in order to meet emissions again. Meanwhile the dodge 6.7l has not changed since 07, upon which they have had 3+ years to work out the bugs. Plus a newly redesigned truck w/full size crew cab! Will be interesting next year in the diesel world.

The guy told me they have had the engine going for 3 years now. A few select companies have had em for a year now, and theyre doing quite well he said. He could of course just be talkin them up, but ya never know. I agree though i will wait at least a year before i look at em.

I was going to go look at my dealers new Ram today, but they already sold the dam thing! It was only on the lot for 3 days!! So ill have to wait til the next one comes in. I cant wait.

WH401
12-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Who gives a crap..Every new truck that comes out gets that award. Its worthless.

Ouch, that time of the month?:rolleyes:

PLS-Tx
12-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Ouch, that time of the month?:rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

360ci
12-17-2009, 11:34 PM
The new Ram HD is a nice unit. Apparently it has better u joints, so as to better be able to take the pain of hauling a plow around on a regular basis. As for the cooled seats, I'll say no! Not even heated seats. When they break and you want it fixed, it'll cost you. A friend of mine has a Saab 9-5 sedan with REAL leather seats (as opposed to the vinyl in my Durango R/T for instance), and when you sit on the seats, the air comes out of the perforations, so a guy like me (with a larger than average rump), won't benefit from cooled seats, and the fan will have to work overtime to push air through a system whose output is limited unless a 100lb driver sits down. My uncles BMW 750 is the same way, but the seats are wider, so it works better, but I still didn't find it that great.

Its funny the only ram I'd ever own is the second generation. Just something about that design appeals to me. The power wagon is cool with the new paint scheme, I'm just not a fan of the Hemi. But that's just me and I'm not brand loyal either.

I totally agree. I have a 1st gen Durango, which I believe looks the best out of all the newer SUVs that can handle similar towing and payload capacity. T 2nd gen rams are also dead easy to work on, and maintained properly, can easily outlast a similar GM or Ford truck.

I mainly bought my Durango due to a good price (estate auction, $10K less than retail at the time), although I was planning to get either a Tahoe, or Ram 1500 with the 4x4 and 5.2L V8. I decided on the Durango mostly for price, since I'm a cheap bugger. However, I keep up on all the maintenance depending on the weather, I try to do it all myself. Easy, breezy, beautiful, Dodge. lol. Had to say it.

360ci
12-17-2009, 11:37 PM

Only models that were redesigned in that year can be eligible for truck of the year. I think it's mostly biased, as they do a good job about telling 'us' what they CAN do, but they don't WORK them during the testing. I'd love it if these so called 'truck guys' would attach a plow and throw a loaded salter in the bed, and then test them out.

Ford is a bit scary lately. They've had four diesels now in the HD Fseries since the late 90's. 7.3 - 6.0 - 6.4 - 6.7. I wouldn't buy one with a twin turbo anyway, it's just asking you to buy an in bed fuel tank so you don't have to stop every few hundred miles.

dirtybiz
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
i hate to tell you but the 6.4L PSD get's the same mileage as the new cummins or duramax, you can thank emissions BS for that! Yes in the 5.9L cummins days they got the best mileage for sure, but now they are all right in the 14-15mpg range. If anyone tells you otherwise they have either gotten rid of dpf or don't know how to work a calculator.

The 6.4 psd has been an awesome motor, short of the early 08 radiator problems, which were no fault of the motor, just faulty parts. I would buy another 6.4 anyday, but would definately wait in the new 6.7 psd for a while!

meets1
12-18-2009, 05:04 PM
whats up with an 2011 truck - intro early? What happens to resale etc down the rode.

I did see the new dodge as my neighbor is an owners of a dealership - I am the only one in the block with a GM product.

So who is next? GM redesign or it toyota coming out with a 3/4 ton?

dirtybiz
12-18-2009, 05:47 PM
GM, Ford, and Dodge HD's are all recieving a face lift for 2011. GM and Ford's not nearly as extensive as the Dodge. The dodge's may be 2010's i am not sure, but i know when the new ford's come out after the first of the year w/the 6.7L they will be 2011's. I wouldn't hold your breath for a toyota 3/4 ton for a while!

topsites
12-18-2009, 09:28 PM

I hate to say it but I kind of agree even thou it gets hot where I live,
nothing beats the heated seat in winter thou.

Also not particularly fond of the ever-increasing engine size,
by the time we get much past 5.0 why is anyone even wondering about mpg?

Gravel Rat
12-18-2009, 09:30 PM
There are quite afew 6.4s on the road here and not many problems with them the only complaint is the fuel mileage but other than that people are happy with them.

Not many people happy with the 6.7 Cummins especially when the Dodge dealers say sorry we can't work on it.

Dodge will always be a Dodge which is the cheapest built truck on the road.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 09:36 PM
There are quite afew 6.4s on the road here and not many problems with them the only complaint is the fuel mileage but other than that people are happy with them.

Not many people happy with the 6.7 Cummins especially when the Dodge dealers say sorry we can't work on it.

oh your funny...

Gravel Rat
12-18-2009, 11:56 PM
They are cheap Junior you can keep your Dodge. I doubt you will see any Dodge diesels at the Dodge dealer locally no demand for them plus the fact they can't work on them.

Junior M
12-19-2009, 12:18 AM
They are cheap Junior you can keep your Dodge. I doubt you will see any Dodge diesels at the Dodge dealer locally no demand for them plus the fact they can't work on them.
at YOUR dodge dealership..

its way different here in the states..

TXNSLighting
12-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Dodges today are not the dodges of yesterday. Thats for sure. So you may want to start thinking that way GR.. They are building much better vehicles.

Gravel Rat
12-19-2009, 12:40 AM
They are not that much better. The diesel shop had to change a rad in a 2008 Common rail. I looked over the truck it wasn't much better than previous years.

Junior M
12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
They are not that much better. The diesel shop had to change a rad in a 2008 Common rail. I looked over the truck it wasn't much better than previous years.
you wanna talk about all the problems with the first gen 6.4s?

it seems like you turn a blind eye to the problems ford has but blow Dodges problems out of the water..

btw, a rad, really? That had to be something that just went out because thats not normal to happen on a cummins. If anything will go on a Dodge it'll be a tranny(not in that 08, they are dam strong!) or the front end will wear out faster than normal.. But I havent even heard of that happening alot sense like 06..

dirtybiz
12-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Dodge has come along way in the last 10 year's. I still do not believe they have the comfort/amenities of the ford or gm for that matter, but this new HD will definately put that to the test.

I always owned fords, until i had a 03 6.0 PSD that was POS. I was so upset with ford at the time that i bought a 06 Dodge 5.9. While it was not the nicest & most comfortable truck i ever owned, it was reliable and got the job done. I kept it once i decided to give ford (6.4L) another try and use it for a work truck.

This the only vehicle i have ever owned that has not been a ford, and i would definately consider buying another. I do not feel they are built quite as heavy as the fords, but they seem to hold up just fine. Around here they can be had quite a bit less than a ford or gm as well, plus i still believe they are easier/cheaper to work on. And now with the new HD design, they should only be that much better.

THey all have their up's and down's, unfortunately none of them are perfect or their would be no need for the other brands. I will still probably drive a ford for my personal truck, but will definately consider dodge again when buying another work truck.

TXNSLighting
12-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Dodge has come along way in the last 10 year's. I still do not believe they have the comfort/amenities of the ford or gm for that matter, but this new HD will definately put that to the test.

I always owned fords, until i had a 03 6.0 PSD that was POS. I was so upset with ford at the time that i bought a 06 Dodge 5.9. While it was not the nicest & most comfortable truck i ever owned, it was reliable and got the job done. I kept it once i decided to give ford (6.4L) another try and use it for a work truck.

This the only vehicle i have ever owned that has not been a ford, and i would definately consider buying another. I do not feel they are built quite as heavy as the fords, but they seem to hold up just fine. Around here they can be had quite a bit less than a ford or gm as well, plus i still believe they are easier/cheaper to work on. And now with the new HD design, they should only be that much better.

THey all have their up's and down's, unfortunately none of them are perfect or their would be no need for the other brands. I will still probably drive a ford for my personal truck, but will definately consider dodge again when buying another work truck.

Well your Ford is gorgeous! you need to take some pics of your stuff and share it.

dirtybiz
12-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Well your Ford is gorgeous! you need to take some pics of your stuff and share it.

Thanks, been meaning to, but everytime i get the opportunity to do so, the weather is crap! Got a few pics of shop/equip. in the heavy equip. section.

pitrack
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM

You can say all you want about what you have "heard" that your dealerships have said, or who said what. Who cares? If I went off of what other people said I would be....jesus, who knows.

Truth is I have owned 3 Rams, my current truck is a Cummins. Haven't had a lick of trouble with anyone of them. If you take care of these trucks they will take care of you, that's the truth with many vehicles. Sure I would buy a 1st gen 6.4 if I wanted a flame thrower. My truck is a 5.9, I have two different buddies with 6.7's they haven't had any problems either. One had a clogged filter because he had left his truck idling for too long while plowing, took it to the dealer and guess what "they worked on it!!" got the filter cleaned and he was on his way.

And just curious, what type of vehicle do you drive gravel rat?

When I want to buy a truck and see how other peoples experiences are, I want to do exactly that: "see" it, I don't give two shits about what I have heard. Bottom line is I have had 3 Rams, numerous buddies of mine have had them too, and given that information...my next truck will be a Ram.

lawn king
12-21-2009, 03:45 PM

2011 FIAT ram 2500, MT truck of the year. Good luck with that dodge folks!