PDA

View Full Version : overwintering plants

a plus bob
12-16-2009, 09:36 AM
I have several 1 gal Liriope and a weeping hemlock 5 gal. that I never got around to plant at my house.I am thinking put them in a pile of mulch in the pot to help from freezing and water when temps allow any body tried this??

ridgewood
12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
It doesnt sound like you have much money invested in these plants, so if it were me, I would call it a day and throw them out. However, if you want to keep them, then go ahead with your plan. But I would be weary about that freezing cold water coming out of a hose, unless your going to use a watering can and get the water from the sink.
A couple years ago I did this with a young maple tree. I had no idea what I wanted to do with it, so I just threw it in some mulch, never watered it, and it survived the winter, I transplanted it in the spring, and it is still alive today.

White Gardens
12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Ya, you should be fine to just heel them in a mulch mound. That is what one of my suppliers does in the winter with their hardy perennials and shrubs.

VO Landscape Design
12-16-2009, 01:17 PM
from past experience mulch around the liriope but not on top, it stays "green" through the winter. The roots need the most protection from the cold. Same with the hemlock, around the pot not much over the pot top.
VO

a plus bob
12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Ya, you should be fine to just heel them in a mulch mound. That is what one of my suppliers does in the winter with their hardy perennials and shrubs.

from past experience mulch around the liriope but not on top, it stays "green" through the winter. The roots need the most protection from the cold. Same with the hemlock, around the pot not much over the pot top.
VO

Thanks guys thats what I was thinking just checking Thanks again..