PDA

View Full Version : oh, oh!!!......machine follies

steveair
04-11-2000, 08:03 PM
OK, probably been asked before but just want to here about any machine errors that any of you may have had. Anything from those unexpected moments, to those moments of shear terror, to those moments where you say, &quot;OH man, I'm a numbnut&quot;.<p>I was reminded of one of mine today.<p>I was working a drainage swail, about 20 feet wide, with a case 580 extendahoe and was pulling big trees out that we had cut down on the other side and that were falling into the swail. Usually the swail is filled with water, but that day it was dry (during the drought last year), but it still is usually full of a little muck. Very deceiving. If you walked across it, it still felt solid........<p><br>Anyways, one tree dropped a little farther away than it was suppose too, and like a dumbass, I extended the hoe all the way out to try and reach it so I didn't have to move again, and well, before i knew it, the machine started sliding a bit. Not a problem right......just catch yourself with the hoe and work yourself out.<p>Well that I did. Only one probem. After I caught myself and start working the machine back up the swail, I ran into a unforseen circumstance. After doing it with success 2 times, I went to move the hoe again to push myself out and, SMUSH. It sank into the muck!!!<p>The machine was stable still, though close to the edge, but the hoe just sank right in. So what I do....like a dumb ass I extend the hoe. Before I knew it, the entire hoe, fully extended, was almost completely stuck straight down into the muck! I couln't believe it (nor could anyone else) It was buried.....The front bucket and wheels were off the ground and the machine was stuck there....<p>what a night mare. <p>I ended up calling for help (good thing I had my company radio in the machine) and we used one of our single axle chevy C50's plow frame on top of the bucket's edge to hold the front end down and give me a enough leverage to get the boom out. Took almost 10 mins just to work it out! <p>Also, during the whole time, we were close to a taxiway, but thank god no planes came in because they wouldn't of gotten pass.<p>After it was out, we had to do some nifty maneuvering to get the machine off the edge and ended up bending the bumper all up on the chevy. <p>When it was all said and done, about 45 minutes later, I couldn't help but say &quot;what a dumb ass&quot; I am. Either could everyone else either......I thought I lived that one down finally untill today!<p>steveair <br>

Hardy Enterprises
04-12-2000, 10:53 PM
I got a couple of pretty good ones. One of them is mine and one of them I witnessed.<p>I had mini trackhoe rent for a job awhile back. I had it rent for a week and I finished the job before I had to carry it back. So I decided to carry it to the deer camp and fix a troublesome creek crossing. I got both bank slope nicely to where you could easily get across with a four wheeler. After finishing I start back across the creek, I was about halfway across and one of the tracks broke. The rental company was closed for the day and there was a storm coming in that night. I didn't want to have to explain to the rental company how there trackhoe got washed into the river. So the only choice was to somehow get it out. End up using the bucket to support the side that was broke and using the good track and a winch to get it out. <p>The other one involved a logging company at the same deer camp. The logging company had CAT D5 in there doing some clearing around a &quot;dry&quot; slough. It ended up not being quite that dry. By the time the operator decided that he was stuck and wasn't going to be able to get out on his on you could step up onto the roof of the cab. I sure glad I didn't have to get that dozer out.<p>Jay

pete
04-13-2000, 10:44 PM
I had lined up a couple of stump removal jobs at the end of my junior year in highschool. During the course of work that day i had to stop by the school to check on some stuff and i ran into my english teacher. He asked if i could come by his house and grind some stumps. Well i get to his house and the stump is located in his back yard at the bottom of a super steep hill. Of course i figured what the hell we can atleast give it a shot. Well we got it down the hill a little sketchy but we got it down okay. Oh yeah it was a walkbehind grinder a vermeer SC252 that i rented. So we get it down and im grinding away. The stump is fairly big and the ground around it is level on one side and slightly sloped on the other. I decide to move the machine to get a better angle and in the process of moving it i fliped it over. Well the machine contiues to run creating the thick nasty smoke that only burning oil can do. FInaly get it turned off and we try to push it up right, no luck. Had to get my truck at the top of the hill and useing a bunch of tie downs and other pices of rope to make it reach we were able to pull it upright. Then to make matters worse i had to go get hydro fluid for it because it leaked it all out of the tank when it was fliped. So get the thing running again finish the job, and what happens, cant get it back up the hill. Ended up using the truck to pull it out. Oh yeah i was the first person to ever rent this machine, .1 hrs on the meter. Believe it or not after all this there wasnt a scrach on the the machine.

Jason
04-14-2000, 01:14 PM
Where to begin? Between farming and winters working in the oilfield I've witnessed quite a few &quot;mishaps&quot;.<p>Years ago I was swathing a field of rye with an old Versatile 103 self-propelled swather, when all of a sudden I was staring straight at the sky. The rear wheel assembly broke completely off of the swather, had a hell of a time getting it shut down.<p>Another time I sunk a John Deere 9600 combine with half a load of wheat on while crossing a washout. Had to unload the wheat on ground, and retrieval via a JD 7520 4wd tractor.<p>Buried a 40' air seeder. Took a tractor and a 5 ton winch truck to get out of that one.<p>In the oilfield a guy I worked with was cruising down a gravel road in a JD backhoe, he decided to shake some snow out of the front bucket. He dropped the bucket on the road. Damn near put him through the windshield. Broke a bunch of crap. I was waiting for him with a 1 ton at well site, he was afraid to call boss on radio. :)<p>We were installing a flow line in oilfield. Guy was digging down with a case hoe to uncover some lines we were going to tie into. Bucket slipped off frozen ground and hit live line. I was about 200 yards away in Komatsu trackhoe digging towards him. I noticed some oil on side window, thought to myself damn blew a hydraulic line. Than looked over my shoulder to see a 50 ft high gusher of oil coming from ground. And a bunch of guys scrambling to close a valve. That was a nightmare. Had to close down entire field. Worked until 3 in the morning in below zero weather till we got line patched. On a side note, I ran the trackhoe up to a well site where we called a hot water truck out to wash off all the crude. I almost killed myself, a laborer and the hot water truck driver. I swung the trackhoe around so the guy could wash the boom, without looking. I came within a few feet of hitting an overhead power line. Was very tired and not paying attention to what I was doing. It sure woke me up.<p>Many other stories. Kind of fun thinking back to some of these experiences

FIREMAN
04-17-2000, 06:07 PM
I'M A MEMBER OF THE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER CLUB TOO.... I WAS LANDSCAPING A BACKYARD AFTER POOL WAS INSTALLED. I NEEDED A BOBCAT TO GRADE AND MOVE SOME MATERIALS AND THE ONLY WAY INTO THE YARD WAS DOWN THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE. WELL THE POOL COMPANY DID A SHITTY JOB BACKFILLING THE TRECNCH FOR THE GAS LINE TO THE POOL HEATER AND IT WAS PRETTY CLOSE TO THE HOUSE. WELL HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A SKIDSTEER RESTING AT 45 DEGREE ANGLE UP AGAINST THE FOUNDATION OF A HOUSE. YES IT SANK. AFTER I GOT DONE @#$@$%$#%%#%# THE POOL CO. IT TOOK ME AND TWO OF MY GUYS AND THREE HIGHLIFT JACKS AND SOME RAILROAD TIES ABOUT 5 HOURS TO GET IT OUT I WAS VERY UNHAPPY.