PDA

View Full Version : stop copper from turning green

AztlanLC
12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a customer that likes the brown patina on copper but not the green, is there anything I can apply to stop oxidation to a certain point?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I dont think you will find any product that will allow copper to patina to a specific shade or hue. The aging process is a combination of the composition of the copper and the environmental conditions to which it is exposed. That is why so many manufacturers refer to the "natural" patina of their copper products.

You can of course order copper fixtures with a variety of factory applied finishes, essentially controlled patina. I find that most of these tend to look too contrived.

Perhaps the best option for you would be to switch to a line of raw brass or treated brass fixtures. These patina to a brown colour over time, or you can get a factory applied 'aged brass' finish that is very nice. Unique, CopperMoon, Vista, and several others offer these brass finishes and they are very nice.

Regards.

AztlanLC
12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
the problem is we already installed the fixtures, I'll keep this in mind for the future thanks

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
If the fixtures have not been installed for very long, you could try to clean them back to raw copper (LOTS of work!!) and then apply a solution that will quickly patina them to a more even colour. The only issue will be that you will have limited control over what that colour / outcome will be. There are several recipes for homegrown aging compounds online.

AztlanLC
12-17-2009, 11:22 AM
would that stop the green from coming up? or is it just to speed up the patina and then the green will appear sooner

JoeyD
12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
WD40 applied regularly will slow the process but its a very pain staking and time consuming process......It also leaves the fixtures with a "wet" look which some do not like.

irrig8r
12-18-2009, 11:37 AM
You can get copper to react with different metals and achieve different shades of patina.

Some of them may prevent "greening"....

See these formulas:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

AztlanLC
12-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Thank you I will try it

ccfree
12-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I have a customer that likes the brown patina on copper but not the green, is there anything I can apply to stop oxidation to a certain point?

Check out FXL.com. They have a section on how to patina metals. Might work for your application.

steveparrott
12-29-2009, 03:17 PM
As Joey suggested, WD-40 works well, but I have it on good authority that a better fixative for a patinaed copper or bronze surface is a product called DRI TOUCH® AMBER IRP2 Rust Preventive (https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/store/rust.html).

It's a bit pricey but one bottle should go a long way.

Let There Be Light
12-30-2009, 10:43 PM
You can get copper to react with different metals and achieve different shades of patina.

Some of them may prevent "greening"....

See these formulas:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

I use Science company with great success. One of my clients was having a party and needed the new raw copper patined quickly. I bought Ferric Nitrate from www.sciencecompany.com. Mixed in a spraybottle with distilled water and over the weekend the raw copper turned to a very nice brown. Also works great on raw brass. Good luck