PDA

View Full Version : Hello

JodyG
12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I have been lurking around these forums for the past couple of years. My background is mainly in commercial sitework & concrete. I have worked for or co-owned grading companies and a concrete foundation company. In the late 90’s I owned a small landscape installation crew putting in new yards for builders and up until two years ago I had a 2-men maintenance crew mowing model homes and spec homes for builders. Unfortunately the building market is gone and so is the crew.

I would like to thank the professionals who post here. I have taken note of your advice and used it in the past. I know by reading these posts how frustrating some of the questions are. I also know how frustrating your competition is. We are experiencing the same level of low balling in our industry.

For myself I have decided that I want to start a part time solo operation in the spring. I have enough connections to pick up maybe 8 – 10 accounts. My immediate goal is to subsidize my income next year and then work towards a full time venture in 2011. My local market area is varied. We have small cluster homes to horse ranches. The accounts I am looking at are half acre or smaller sites. I plan on using a 36” WB to start with. I already have most of the professional quality power tools that I purchased two years ago.

I look forward to reading and posting on this forum…

JFGauvreau
12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
hello and welcome to the forums!

I myself am working for a concrete foundation company to save up money to buy my equipment for my new company next spring.

Concrete foundation has a lot of money to be made with, our company does like 1-2 home foundation a day, but the equipment is very expensive lol

JodyG
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
We did very good up until 2006. We were set up as an in house company for a local builder (350+ homes per year). He shut it down due to financial reasons. I had a good amount of work in North Georgia but when the Florida real estate market went south and money became tight. We closed at the beginning of 2007.

g21
12-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Welcome Jody,
Let me know if I can help with anything.