PDA

View Full Version : gas or diesel Isuzu NPR? Help

Kmtservicesofjax
12-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Should i buy gas or diesel isuzu npr? Why? The diesel will be 3,000 more purchase price? Longevity and Money? Thanks for help! I live in Florida.

razor1
12-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Diesel......better mileage, longevity, torque, resale value and that "big rig" sound!

mdlwn1
12-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Depends on what you are doing and if the roads are flat. If your primarily using it for a lawn service truck pulling a 16-18' loaded trailer or hauling mulch or similar debris, the gas is MORE THAN ENOUGH. I had a 5.7 in mine and it was geared more as highway truck...and it still had PLENTY of torqe for pulling a loaded trailer even when full of mulch. My roads were flat though. As for the 3k more in price...it's actually a sht load more than that. You have to factor in the cost of diesel...over the life of the truck. Will you put more than 25k miles per year on it? If not or your not hauling heavy rock or dirt...your urinating money at that point. Sure a diesel engine will last longer...but the truck wont. As someone on this site has stated before....at 250k miles you will have a motor to rebuild and no truck to put it in...........

HenryB
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Depends on what you are doing and if the roads are flat. If your primarily using it for a lawn service truck pulling a 16-18' loaded trailer or hauling mulch or similar debris, the gas is MORE THAN ENOUGH. I had a 5.7 in mine and it was geared more as highway truck...and it still had PLENTY of torqe for pulling a loaded trailer even when full of mulch. My roads were flat though. As for the 3k more in price...it's actually a sht load more than that. You have to factor in the cost of diesel...over the life of the truck. Will you put more than 25k miles per year on it? If not or your not hauling heavy rock or dirt...your urinating money at that point. Sure a diesel engine will last longer...but the truck wont. As someone on this site has stated before....at 250k miles you will have a motor to rebuild and no truck to put it in...........

Well said!

South Florida Lawns
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Should i buy gas or diesel isuzu npr? Why? The diesel will be 3,000 more purchase price? Longevity and Money? Thanks for help! I live in Florida.

Its kind of a trade off the way i see it. The diesels are more but you get better mpg.

The gaser is cheap its the gm 5.7 and 6.0 so parts are cheap and cheap to fix.

Unless you buy new resale isn't much of a factor seeing as you can get a used diesel for 10k.

360ci
12-17-2009, 11:46 PM
I agree. It depends on the use you plan to get out of the vehicle. Running without a trailer and around town with some highway lightly to moderately laoded, the gas will do you fine. In your area too, if diesel is more expensive than regular unleaded, then getting slightly better mileage in a diesel is irrelevant as you'll be paying nearly the same. Initial cost is the worst with a diesel, and you have more maintenance to worry about, albeit at slightly longer intervals than the gas, if at all. Such as fuel/water separator, injectors (more expensive to replace than gas units!) but should last close to 150-200K. If you plan to keep the vehicle for a couple years and sell it, get the gas. If you plan to keep it for twenty years in a salt free area, drive lots of miles per year as mentioned above, then the diesel will work more in your favour. If you're constantly starting and stopping the truck (clients that live close to each other for instance), then the gas will be more desirable.

T-Made
12-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I have a 98 Isuzu with the 5.7 with open lawn bed- fully loaded around 9-10miles a gallon. My 05 isuzu has the 3.9 diesel it gets 12-13 on averaged loaded. Both the gas and diesel have plenty of power. Gas is cheaper and maintenance cheaper. Diesel plenty of torque and will last forever down here in the south. I haven't had a problem with either. Parts on the chevrolet 5.7 are inexpensive and are readily available at any parts store and just about anyone can work on this engine. But overall performance definetly favors the diesel.