PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer setup suggestions?

Braphael
12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
I just purchased a 5X10 v-nosed trailer and I'm wondering what suggestions you have about setting it up. Any pictures would b e helpfu, also. Thanks!

PLS-Tx
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
There is several pics of enclosed in the truck and trailer forum.

We have had an enclosed for about 4 years, it's been great.

Sorry no pic of ours, may not help you anyway, we do mainly lawn maintenance.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a 6x12 x 7 Foot Clear Wells Cargo trailer. I built a set of shelves up the left side for inventory, tool boxes, etc. I built a work bench across the front with bin storage below. I store all my wire on 300m reels on the right front, I have all long handle digging tools etc along the left wall on clips. I have a large box at the back for picks, pry bars, pruners, etc etc. Along the ceiling I suspend conduit, custom trims, etc with bungee cords.

The trailer is wired for 120V as well as 12V from the truck's accessory circuit. This gives me HOT5 FL lighting inside as well as an interior outlet for tools. Just run a heavy ga. extension cord from a client outlet to the trailer for 'shore power'.

I have the ability to leave my trailer behind on installations, so I lock it up tight with military grade padlocks, and 60 Ton freight chain that goes around the frame and around a tree. I also use a gorilla tongue lock. Finally it's contents (both tools and materials) are fully insured with a separate insurance policy.

Sorry, no photos as the trailer is currently snowed in behind my shop.

Braphael
12-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys! James, where did you get the clips that hold the digging tools? In my other enclosed trailer, I use clips that lag screw into a 2x4 that is bolted to the side wall. I just saw some black and decker plastic storage cabinets that might work very well for tool storage and inventory. Do you unspool your wire right out of the trailer, or are the spools removable? I will suspend conduit and stuff as well. I will also wire shore power and trailer power for lights and battery chargers. Thanks again.

niteliters
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
if u have it equipped for 120 volt, include some outlets for heaters. I know james forgot to mention that because of his tropical location:) Fans in the summer lower temperature 10 to 15 degrees in the summer. no a/c don't want to spoil your men. Put doors on the back, not a drop gate

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Heaters? We don't need no stinking heaters! :)

The clips that hold all the digging tools are from Home Depot. Cheap and they work well. You want to bungee them all from side to side so they don't swing while driving.

klkanders
12-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I like the looks of this one. V-nose, smooth and clean lines. Nice interior walls and floor rings. I might haul a cycle or trencher from time to time so I would want the ramp door. Would set it up similar to what James did and make the shelves to the left easily removable if need be. The bench and storage option up front on this one is nice!
Maybe this spring!

http://www.stealthtrailer.com/products/8/Black-Hawk-trade-

http://www.stealthtrailer.com/page/23/Trailer-Options

trailboss
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Tired of working out of a long bed/crew cab truck. As far as trailers go -
What do most use - a ramp door or double rear doors? Ive been looking for a 7 X 12 but have found a good deal on a 7 X 14 with a rear ramp and side RV door. Do you think this size is too large?
Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-29-2010, 05:40 PM
I use a custom Wells Cargo 6x12, single axle. I should have sprung for the V-nose but money was tight back then. I had the interior height built to 7 feet clear as I am 6'4" tall and don't like crouching. It has two swing out doors on back and a single swing out on the side. The ramps take up a lot of room and take a beating if you don't need them.

Tool bench up front across the width with storage bins below for wire, cords, dry suit, towels, and 120V stuff. Fixtures, lamps, & tools are all binned and stored on shelves along the left side. Wire storage and digging tools along the right side. Conduit and pipe is hung from above. Put a handy square box in the back to hold assorted digging tools, pry bars, fish rods and any other assorted long stuff.

It still works great after 7 years... just wish I had that V-nose.

trailboss
11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info. James - I would love to see some pics. I think having this trailer is gonna make our life much easier. The 7X14' may be a little overkill but the price is right. Its wild how many enclosed trailers are under 6' tall inside. I'm 6'2" and am not interested in stooping while working in there.

Steve

extlights
11-30-2010, 12:22 AM

extlights
11-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Our latest trailer is a 7x14 featherlite with the v-nose and ramp door and I don't think it's overkill at all. I believe it's 6'6" inside. Sure it might be a little on the larger side for just lighting, but it's nice to know that you have a little extra room if you need it. It's fairly easy to equip a trailer to your liking just by heading down to Home Depot or Menards. Rubbermaid makes some cabinets that can fit nicely and are practical. My best advice would be to take some measurements and go to town. We have 2 cabinets along with a small work bench, and hooks for all of the tools. It's also wired up with outlets and fluorescent lighting. We can plug in to a customers power supply or use the backup battery or generator. Sometimes trailers can be a pain, but in the long run it's well worth it in my opinion.

RLI Electric
11-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Tall guys, you are all braggers. I am 5'7" and I can do jumping jacks in my Sprinter, provided the floor isn't covered with crap. The crap is on the floor so I can stand on it and see what is on the top shelves.

Pro-Scapes
11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
I have a 6x12 pace. Really considering going bigger (hey I got a Spyder to haul now) but it is usually fine for my work. We often leave it on jobsites like James does.

Inside I have a shelf running down one side in which I can store cases of fixtures and transformers while securing to the wall and 2 shelves along the front(misc supplies and cases of lamps...spare tire etc are in front). I have a 18 bin storage shelving unit on one side with all the smaller parts I use (lenses...silicone...replacement parts...UPB....ABT...120v supplies etc) and a roll out 6 drawer tool cart I can easily transport into backyards and such on larger jobs.

I usually run a 10ga cord from the clients house to the trailer to power chargers and what not if need be but I carry 8 DeWalt batteries and 4 Milwaukee batteries so I am usually good to go.

I opted not to build a workbench in the trailer. I carry an 8 foot folding table I use on jobsites to unpack gear.In bad weather i can set this up in the trailer and use it as a bench but its out of my way.

Other upgrades I made.. we welding "eye" rings to the trailer frame. These are a huge help in securing heavy items...Battery power supply with Optima battery for running interior lights on a cut off switch (I cut off when towing or hooked to truck).

Sometimes I do wish I had a bit larger and would sell this one for the right price but I am still happy with it.

RLI Electric
11-30-2010, 06:46 PM
It is always nice to hook up to "shore" power but remember especially if you are running heaters in your "fortress' of solitude" that you better have access to their panel. A lot of heaters are 1500 watts and you have that and a small load in the house on a 15 amp breaker and that baby will trip. The homeowners come home to a dead circuit and they might not be happy. Especially if it is to a freezer that they don't check on a regular basis.