PDA

View Full Version : Electric cut-off saws?

Moneypit
12-18-2009, 12:19 AM
Has anyone ever used an electric cut-off saw? I was thinking of getting one like this one:
http://us.husqvarnacp.com/node1552.aspx?nid=81107&pid=83290

I have a 2 stroke now, but could use a second saw. I thought I would try an electric one so next time I'm cutting in a basement entrance or window, I wont be setting off all the carbon monoxide detectors. Also seems like they may be more reliable. Any thoughts?

Moneypit
09-29-2010, 01:35 AM
This is an old thread I started. I never got the saw but now I am back in the market for one. Dose anyone have any experiance with these?

DVS Hardscaper
09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Our mason uses something similar. No yanking on a starter rope. He just cuts and goes. Heck he can have 2 cuts done before a gas saw is started and 1 cut is made.

BrandonV
09-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Buy one and let me know, vie desperately wanted something like that and you found it for me! Let me know if it works.
Posted via Mobile Device

sven1277
09-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Several years ago I rented a 14" wet saw for a paver job. It broke and the only replacement option they had was an electric cut off. Not ideal for that situation, but the saw worked just fine.

rlitman
09-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Not a pro here (so take my free advice for what it's worth), but I got my 14" AEG electric saw on craigslist, and with a diamond turbo blade, it cut very nicely through 2" granite (first thing I tried it on).

I did find at times that I might have wanted a little more power though, and at 18A & 120V, mathematically, the most power you can get out of an electric saw is a little over 2HP (certainly under 3).
14" gas saws tend to run between 4 and 5HP.

OTOH, if you're just cutting something like concrete block (and not cutting granite, or cutting to max depth in old reinforced poured concrete), and using a segmented blade (and not a turbo like I was using to avoid chipout), then you might not even notice the difference in power. You just need a lighter touch, or else you'll start tripping breakers.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
10-01-2010, 06:46 PM
They are heavy and will let you know a few minutes after cutting. At least the 2 I have used were damn heavy.

PowerPlay
10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Hilti has a nice one.

Moneypit
10-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I am going to move forward and make the purchase. I will let you know how it works out after using it for some time.

PlatinumLandCon
10-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Don't get too excited with your cutting speed/pressure or you'll pop breakers. I rented one a few months ago as a backup and one of the guys leaned into a cut and slowed the blade enough to make the breaker pop. Great units though. Maybe not the best for in-place long cuts but for a trim here and there to finish, the lack of start/stop of a gas saw is awesome.

joes169
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
We've had basically the same saw (ours is a Partner, now owned by Husky) for 4-5 years now and it certainly has it's place. I don't think it's really any heavier than our other 14" saws, it just doesn't spin or cut quite as fast.

We use it for interior sawing, as well as stone work where we may need a 30 second cut every 10 minutes or so. It sure saves on where & tear on a gas saw.

Also, as noted above, you can't push them like a gas saw, as they draw alot of current. Make sure to use a good circuit & cord, or you'll get frustrated.