PDA

View Full Version : adding a side gate to my trailer

cochino12
12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I recently bought a 6x12 pequea trailer to haul some of the smaller stuff around this coming season and think I will add a side gate. My other trailers have them and we have gotten so used to having them I figured I would add one to this new trailer.

I'm ok with the actual building of the gate but I was more curious about the structual integrity of the trailer after I cut the section of the rail off to add the gate. Obviously I will add angle iron from the cut points of the rail to frame of the trailer to keep the rail from moving too much but will that be enough? ( I would go look at my other trailer but its in storage all boarded and covered up)

Here is a pic of the same trailer I bought

hondarancher4435
12-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I would be a little concerned as i know most store bought trailers rely heavily on the rail for strength but i would say with the gate up as long as you have a good latching method like a drop in pin with a tight fit it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Big C
12-19-2009, 02:47 AM
Spoke to a trailer builder/dealer in my area a few weeks ago while trialer shopping and asked him the very same question and he told me that the A frame is reinforced differently when they build a trailer with a side gate...I would call a trailer company and ask the question.

Here is the link to thier website
http://www.propulltrailers.com/

MikeKle
12-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Go to your local tractor supply store and take a look at their trailers, they sell lots with side gates. look at how they do it. I think you can add strength by welding in a piece of steel from where the A frame ends to right before the axles. Ive never pulled a trailer with a side gate, but I would think they ride "weird" due to the weight of the gate being on only one side up front? I thought about doing this with my trailer, but it only takes a few minutes to pull all the mowers off to get to the one up front, not really worth it in my opinion.

doubleedge
12-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Go to your local tractor supply store and take a look at their trailers, they sell lots with side gates. look at how they do it. I think you can add strength by welding in a piece of steel from where the A frame ends to right before the axles. Ive never pulled a trailer with a side gate, but I would think they ride "weird" due to the weight of the gate being on only one side up front? I thought about doing this with my trailer, but it only takes a few minutes to pull all the mowers off to get to the one up front, not really worth it in my opinion.

A few minutes times 10 times a day times 5 days a week equals 1 to 2 hours a week times your hourly rate equals $100+.

Brad Ent
12-23-2009, 09:09 AM
cochino,
How wide will the side gate be?
What will you be loading and unloading on it?

cochino12
12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll have to check some out at the trailer shops in town. I dont think the frames between the tow will be much different, simply becuase its a small trailer. I think it would be a different story if we were talking about car haulers, dual axle equipment haulers...

cochino,
How wide will the side gate be?
What will you be loading and unloading on it?

probably around 40", and we'll be loading smaller walk behinds occasionally but the main reason is being able to load/unload aerators when we have the walkbehinds with us.

Brad Ent
12-23-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree with Mike... check the local Tractor Supply for ideas.