PDA

View Full Version : new occupation..

Junior M
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Well boys, I no longer work in the construction/excavation/clearing industry..

I start working for a shop, being taught to rebuild automatic transmissions monday..

you ask why I left behind work I love?

Well, this year has shown me I need to be able to have the skill to do something, something that will always be there(firefighting, I know, but I cant get paid for that, atleast not at this age)

And a buddy of my Dads, the same guy that rebuilt the tranny in my DD, brought up to my dad one night at the bar that he only wanted to be rebuilding transmissions, hands on, for another 4 years or so. And he wanted to teach somebody how to do it before those 4 years were up and he wanted me to call him..

So I took advantage of it, only catch, I gotta work for him until 3 months after I graduate..

Craaaig
12-18-2009, 07:59 PM
so did you just stop working with your dad or did you guys go out of business?

Junior M
12-18-2009, 08:01 PM
so did you just stop working with your dad or did you guys go out of business?
its slow.........

slower than GR's sex life.

I'll still work for him when he gets the work, until then I am working for this guy. I am not going to be out running around trying to get jobs like before..

Dirt Digger2
12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
its slow.........

slower than GR's sex life.

I'll still work for him when he gets the work, until then I am working for this guy. I am not going to be out running around trying to get jobs like before..

that funny...haha

but you should still go to college i think, but then again what do i know...i'm an engineer driving truck haha

Junior M
12-18-2009, 08:06 PM
that funny...haha

but you should still go to college i think, but then again what do i know...i'm an engineer driving truck haha
I've got a couple years until college, so I got time.. this wont interfere if I do decide to go.

I've been thinking about going to Central Carolina to major in natural resources..

stuvecorp
12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
That's probably a good idea JR. I am not sold on people having to go to college but think at least tech school or do an apprenticeship type program so there is something for a fallback.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 08:42 PM
That's probably a good idea JR. I am not sold on people having to go to college but think at least tech school or do an apprenticeship type program so there is something for a fallback.
thats kind of what this is, a fallback..

talus
12-18-2009, 08:48 PM
My advice to you Junior is this.
At your age guidance counselors,teachers and parents pressure you into thinking you must decide before you leave high school. Horseshxx!
Yes some direction and guidance is required but stick with what you have a passion for and it will come easier. I wish I got into equipment when I was your age. Think of the future also. When your 45 are you still gonna want to be yankin a transmission? Yes you could have workers do it but if they call in sick you will be doing it.
Does your high school have vocational classes? Another thing I wish I did. My buddy went that route in high school and now has a successful siding company.
Plumbers,pipe fitters and electricians are well paid trades. Especially if they are union. Some bull goes along with some union shops but they pay well. Look up the IUOE in your area. (Same thing scag is doing right now). Most apprenticeships are 5 years so if you get in while your young you will be big pimpin fast. :laugh:
You seem like you wanna work and are a hard worker. Not real common with some kids these days.
Just an opinion from a mid 30's, kinda fat guy with an f ed up ankle. Take it for what it's worth.:laugh:

stuvecorp
12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
At your age guidance counselors,teachers and parents pressure you into thinking you must decide before you leave high school. Horseshxx!
Yes some direction and guidance is required but stick with what you have a passion for and it will come easier. I wish I got into equipment when I was your age. Think of the future also. When your 45 are you still gonna want to be yankin a transmission? Yes you could have workers do it but if they call in sick you will be doing it.
Does your high school have vocational classes? Another thing I wish I did. My buddy went that route in high school and now has a successful siding company.
Plumbers,pipe fitters and electricians are well paid trades. Especially if they are union. Some bull goes along with some union shops but they pay well. Look up the IUOE in your area. (Same thing scag is doing right now). Most apprenticeships are 5 years so if you get in while your young you will be big pimpin fast. :laugh:
You seem like you wanna work and are a hard worker. Not real common with some kids these days.
Just an opinion from a mid 30's, kinda fat guy with an f ed up ankle. Take it for what it's worth.:laugh:

I do agree with getting in to a plumbing, pipefitting or electrical apprenticeship, it can be very good. BS yes but pay is also very good.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I am going to a vocational school, diesel this semester, fire and emergency next semester.

I am not continuing with diesel next semester because it was, imo, a waste of time. I didnt learn a thing and its not because I didnt try.

I dont plan on rebuilding tranny's the rest of my life, its just a fallback right now because excavation/clearing is slow. By the time I can get out of this job, I'll have the time to try and start a company of my own or go to work for a company as an operator.

And owning a tranny shop is in no way a plan of mine!

and if I get into anything union like, it'd be as an operator..

Junior M
12-18-2009, 08:58 PM
I do agree with getting in to a plumbing, pipefitting or electrical apprenticeship, it can be very good. BS yes but pay is also very good.
thats the thing though, I dont wanna get caught up in a job that will turn into a career because of what I am getting paid.

I understand pay is important, but enjoying my job is just as important, if not more important, imo.

talus
12-18-2009, 09:03 PM
IUOE local 470.

Scag48
12-18-2009, 09:08 PM
There's advantages and disadvantages to everything. What works for one guy may not work for another. I'm glad that I'm with the IUOE as an apprentice right now; pay is pretty decent, benefits are awesome, and I was lucky enough to have been dispatched to a great outfit who is busier than most doing heavy highway work, which was my ultimate goal.

I will not tell anyone to not go to college. I went, have not finished my degree but will at some point, $$$ and time is the issue right now. At your age when you don't need money, working just for the sake of learning something that could land you a job in the future is worthwhile. I consider myself diverse; worked in agriculture, landscaping, excavation, hospitality, food service, I have a varied skillset however there are many other things I wish I had time to learn. Just do whatever turns your crank at your age, doesn't matter at the end of the day. Once you figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life, you'll know, and you'll go do it.

If you have any questions about the IUOE apprenticeship program, feel free to give me a shout.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 09:12 PM
There's advantages and disadvantages to everything. What works for one guy may not work for another. I'm glad that I'm with the IUOE as an apprentice right now; pay is pretty decent, benefits are awesome, and I was lucky enough to have been dispatched to a great outfit who is busier than most doing heavy highway work, which was my ultimate goal.

I will not tell anyone to not go to college. I went, have not finished my degree but will at some point, $$$ and time is the issue right now. At your age when you don't need money, working just for the sake of learning something that could land you a job in the future is worthwhile. I consider myself diverse; worked in agriculture, landscaping, excavation, hospitality, food service, I have a varied skillset however there are many other things I wish I had time to learn. Just do whatever turns your crank at your age, doesn't matter at the end of the day. Once you figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life, you'll know, and you'll go do it.

If you have any questions about the IUOE apprenticeship program, feel free to give me a shout.
thats the thing though, I kinda do need the money. Gotta put fuel in the truck to get back and forth to school somehow, right?

but either way, I've always wanted to work in a shop and now I am doing it. Not the kinda shop I pictured(I pictured more like John Deere, or CAT or Penske) but this works!

Scag48
12-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Sorry, I meant you don't need money for a roof over your head, utility bills, clothing, putting grub in your gut, car insurance, all that crap. My point is, at your age, making money to support yourself isn't necessary so go do what you want, learn what you can, forget how much you're making and just enjoy the experience.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I meant you don't need money for a roof over your head, utility bills, clothing, putting grub in your gut, car insurance, all that crap. My point is, at your age, making money to support yourself isn't necessary so go do what you want, learn what you can, forget how much you're making and just enjoy the experience.
I know what you meant, I was just saying I do need a little bit of income..

and how does a union work? Like how do you get a job with somebody? can you operate for yourself?

old oak lawn
12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
I rebuild automatic transmissions for 12 years when i worked at a ford dealer.( i worked there for 16 years quit 2 years ago.) It was good when i started but the last 3 years i hated then. They have become SO complicated with the electrical systems and computer inputs that i did not want to do it any more. They became very hard do diagnoise, and i was a ford master tech and trained by ford instructors. Anyway Good luck with them, hope you like them better then i did.

treemover
12-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Mechanical experience is always a plus for you down the road(especially for owning your own business) I would say still plan on going to college, it is always something to fall back on. I did, course I wasnt sure what i wanted to do back then.

Scag48
12-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Things do vary a little bit between apprenticeship programs across the country, let me preface things by saying that. I will say that from what I've heard, they're all pretty close to the same, thing only differences will be in minscule rules and policy, things like that. Basically the program, in general, works the same way wherever you are.

What does play a big part in how good your run as an operating engineer apprentice will go depends on a couple things. First, how strong the union is in your area. I don't know SC and the union presence there, but as an apprentice it's good to be in an area with moderate union presence. Chances of working and staying busy are much better.

Secondly, the training grounds also play a large part. We have one of the best training centers in the country in terms of full time staff, equipment on site, available classes, etc.. They can't teach you everything you need to know to be a good operator, but some crucial "crash course" training is essential. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I saw last year from guys coming out to the grounds trying to get their journeymen cards and taking the loader certification course. Guys that had 10 years of loader operation experience, or so they said, could not complete a thorough walk-thru inspection of the machine, could not load a rock truck properly, could not build a stockpile correctly. These are basic things that you can learn as a non-union operator, definately, however it seems that a fair amount of those trying to become operating engineers didn't know what we deem basic knowledge after years of experience.

Out here, if you're looking for work, you're on a list waiting for a phone call. You can go drum up work for yourself, though. There are owner/operators who are also IUOE members, I may go down that road in the future, however right now I'm better off not being self employed. Working for a union outfit is no different than working non-union. A lot of guys don't think this is the case, they think you work for the union, blah, blah, blah. Not true. You work for a contractor who is a signatory member of the union you are affiliated with. Basically, once you start working for an outfit, as long as you pay your dues and follow the rules, you won't have to deal with the hall whatsoever. It's not as complicated as some people make it out to be, it just isn't.

I don't want to turn this into union vs. non-union, not my intent. Just trying to shed a little light to the matter.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Mechanical experience is always a plus for you down the road(especially for owning your own business) I would say still plan on going to college, it is always something to fall back on. I did, course I wasnt sure what i wanted to do back then.
my thing is, I dont even know what I wanna take. Kinda hard to go to school and not know what classes you wanna take..

Junior M
12-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Things do vary a little bit between apprenticeship programs across the country, let me preface things by saying that. I will say that from what I've heard, they're all pretty close to the same, thing only differences will be in minscule rules and policy, things like that. Basically the program, in general, works the same way wherever you are.

What does play a big part in how good your run as an operating engineer apprentice will go depends on a couple things. First, how strong the union is in your area. I don't know SC and the union presence there, but as an apprentice it's good to be in an area with moderate union presence. Chances of working and staying busy are much better.

Secondly, the training grounds also play a large part. We have one of the best training centers in the country in terms of full time staff, equipment on site, available classes, etc.. They can't teach you everything you need to know to be a good operator, but some crucial "crash course" training is essential. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I saw last year from guys coming out to the grounds trying to get their journeymen cards and taking the loader certification course. Guys that had 10 years of loader operation experience, or so they said, could not complete a thorough walk-thru inspection of the machine, could not load a rock truck properly, could not build a stockpile correctly. These are basic things that you can learn as a non-union operator, definately, however it seems that a fair amount of those trying to become operating engineers didn't know what we deem basic knowledge after years of experience.

Out here, if you're looking for work, you're on a list waiting for a phone call. You can go drum up work for yourself, though. There are owner/operators who are also IUOE members, I may go down that road in the future, however right now I'm better off not being self employed. Working for a union outfit is no different than working non-union. A lot of guys don't think this is the case, they think you work for the union, blah, blah, blah. Not true. You work for a contractor who is a signatory member of the union you are affiliated with. Basically, once you start working for an outfit, as long as you pay your dues and follow the rules, you won't have to deal with the hall whatsoever. It's not as complicated as some people make it out to be, it just isn't.

I don't want to turn this into union vs. non-union, not my intent. Just trying to shed a little light to the matter.
I am not really sure what the union presence is like. I'd say not much at all, seems like all the operators just do there own thing, from what I've seen in this area..

But I'll find out..

stuvecorp
12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
thats the thing though, I dont wanna get caught up in a job that will turn into a career because of what I am getting paid.

I understand pay is important, but enjoying my job is just as important, if not more important, imo.

I will be the first to say money isn't everything but what I was tying to say is if I would have be a little more mellow when I was younger and went after a job like the union there is a good chance my life could have been better and I would have more free time. I like what I do but am nowhere close to making what my union electrician brother makes. A lot of it depends on attitude, I have worked on some really horrible projects and enjoyed it because the crew is awesome and makes it fun. The good thing is you can still enjoy high school and that should be the main thing for you now.

jokers dirt
12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Junior all i have to say is listen and learn what ever you can because now days people dont tell you how to do ****. what you have is something to fall back on doin transmissions . i never went to college started out drivin over the road and then got into grading and so on but everyone is different.

treemover
12-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Hell the majority of your first couple are just going to be gen eds. Throw a business class and spanish(wish I did) and just go with it. I never was big on school, but I can say(at least in my opinion) college does help you change you thought process, helps it expand. Hopefully that makes sense.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Hell the majority of your first couple are just going to be gen eds. Throw a business class and spanish(wish I did) and just go with it. I never was big on school, but I can say(at least in my opinion) college does help you change you thought process, helps it expand. Hopefully that makes sense.
first couple are goin to be gen eds? :confused:

Gravel Rat
12-18-2009, 10:08 PM
It is something different. You would need good patients working on automatic transmissions and a good memory. I have watched a automatic being pulled apart and its holy crap how do you remember where everything goes when it comes to reassembly.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 10:10 PM
It is something different. You would need good patients working on automatic transmissions and a good memory. I have watched a automatic being pulled apart and its holy crap how do you remember where everything goes when it comes to reassembly.
I got a solution if you dont have a good memory:

Lay it out like it came apart, or have a book! like we do!

treemover
12-18-2009, 10:16 PM
hell, i dont remeber. Something like 35 hrs of gen eds

Junior M
12-18-2009, 10:16 PM
hell, i dont remeber. Something like 35 hrs of gen eds
what in the hell are gen eds?!

Gravel Rat
12-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Ya you can do that but you get a transmission ripped apart then things get moved around.

There is a guy that moved to the area he is a transmission rebuilder his hands sure show it. Fingers stained red from automatic transmission fluids.

The hard part is if your the one that has to remove and re-install the transmissons.

Hanau
12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Join the military for a few years Junior.

If you like running equipment the Navy Seabees and the Army combat engineers have the best operators in the world.

For firefighting check out the USCG Damage Controlman rate. That's a real kick in the ass.

Coast Guard, Navy, and Air Force are your best bets for learning technical skills. Army or Marines if you want to kick ass and blow **** up.

The Army also has high school to flight school. Score high on the ASVAB and they'll send you to helicopter flight school and commission you as a warant officer.

There are a ton of opportunities in the armed forces.

Bleed Green
12-18-2009, 10:51 PM
my thing is, I dont even know what I wanna take. Kinda hard to go to school and not know what classes you wanna take..

You can just take some gen ed classes until you figure out the route you wanna go in college. There is really no pressure till the end of your 1st year mid 2nd year. Thats how I was, in the same boat you are in now.

Bleed Green
12-18-2009, 10:57 PM

College for sure makes you think differently. There are more new people and more new viewpoints and the fact that they push critical thinking even though its a pain in the rear will help you in everything that you do in life I think. It helps you grow as a person for one thing.

Bleed Green
12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
what in the hell are gen eds?!

general education type classes. Your english 101, math 101, public speaking, stuff like that.

AWJ Services
12-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Well boys, I no longer work in the construction/excavation/clearing industry..

I start working for a shop, being taught to rebuild automatic transmissions monday..

you ask why I left behind work I love?

Well, this year has shown me I need to be able to have the skill to do something, something that will always be there(firefighting, I know, but I cant get paid for that, atleast not at this age)

And a buddy of my Dads, the same guy that rebuilt the tranny in my DD, brought up to my dad one night at the bar that he only wanted to be rebuilding transmissions, hands on, for another 4 years or so. And he wanted to teach somebody how to do it before those 4 years were up and he wanted me to call him..

So I took advantage of it, only catch, I gotta work for him until 3 months after I graduate..

I did Transmissions as well when I had my shop. Lots of fun. The good thing about that occupation is you do not spend your time bent over the fender and your back will thank you in the future.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Ya you can do that but you get a transmission ripped apart then things get moved around.

The hard part is if your the one that has to remove and re-install the transmissons.

and thats why we've got books..

and removing is the hard part if you've never done that model before. reinstalling flies once you get it lined up and bolts started.

Join the military for a few years Junior.

If you like running equipment the Navy Seabees and the Army combat engineers have the best operators in the world.

For firefighting check out the USCG Damage Controlman rate. That's a real kick in the ass.

Coast Guard, Navy, and Air Force are your best bets for learning technical skills. Army or Marines if you want to kick ass and blow **** up.

The Army also has high school to flight school. Score high on the ASVAB and they'll send you to helicopter flight school and commission you as a warant officer.

There are a ton of opportunities in the armed forces.

the military just isnt something that excites me. I dont know why, it just isnt what I wanna do.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 11:04 PM
I did Transmissions as well when I had my shop. Lots of fun. The good thing about that occupation is you do not spend your time bent over the fender and your back will thank you in the future.
my back thanks me now!

Hanau
12-18-2009, 11:08 PM
the military just isnt something that excites me. I dont know why, it just isnt what I wanna do.

It's ok Junior. The world needs cowards too.

Gravel Rat
12-18-2009, 11:09 PM
and thats why we've got books..

and removing is the hard part if you've never done that model before. reinstalling flies once you get it lined up and bolts started.

I have helped on many automatic tranmission removals on front wheel drive cars they can be a real pain in the azz.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I have helped on many automatic tranmission removals on front wheel drive cars they can be a real pain in the azz.
I helped on one today while I was up there, a Honda Accord.. :wall

Junior M
12-18-2009, 11:13 PM
It's ok Junior. The world needs cowards too.
Yep, I am a coward alright..

My only freakin dream that is up there with an excavation company is being a fulltime firefighter, but I am a coward!

Hanau
12-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Yep, I am a coward alright..

My only freakin dream that is up there with an excavation company is being a fulltime firefighter, but I am a coward!

Glad you came to terms with it. Until you've worn a military uniform and been willing to go into harms way to defend the flag you're a coward in my book.

That's ok. The world needs all kinds.

Only 10% of the population can claim the title of US military veteran. You don't have the stones to do it and that's fine.

Gravel Rat
12-18-2009, 11:25 PM
These wars of today are not defending the USA or North America so why go overseas and shot up for nothing.

Junior M
12-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Glad you came to terms with it. Until you've worn a military uniform and been willing to go into harms way to defend the flag you're a coward in my book.

Only 10% of the population can claim the title of US military veteran. You don't have the stones to do it and that's fine.
Thats pretty disrespectful imo.

The guys setting in a station somewhere, that is going to be running into burning buildings or cutting people out of a car tonight at 2am, in the cold and rain with the flu, deserves just as much respect as the guy shooting at someone in another country..

Anyway you look at it, firefighters and soldiers they are protecting our country in one way or another..

You just lost alot of respect from me Bob.. :nono:

Bleed Green
12-18-2009, 11:39 PM

I have family who has been in the military and they tell me that it would be a good thing to do. It helps you grow up real quick they tell me, but I am with Jr. on this one I have no desire to be in the military, it is just not me. I think that takes a certain kind of person. I would not be able to handle the stress that comes with that profession. I am not that kind of person that they are looking for.

mudmaker
12-19-2009, 12:09 AM
If I were you I would go for a construction engineering major in college and keep working at whatever you can until you graduate.

Hanau
12-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Is there anything better than getting Junior all riled up? Granted it's almost too easy, but it's still fun.

One day I hope I'm trapped in a burning underground structure in South Carolina. Then Junior will have to carry my fat ass up 20 flights of stairs. By himself. In full FFE.

Just for reference Junior, I'm pushing near 300lbs.

Hell, I might even buy the little fella a beer after that.

Junior M
12-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Is there anything better than getting Junior all riled up? Granted it's almost too easy, but it's still fun.

One day I hope I'm trapped in a burning underground structure in South Carolina. Then Junior will have to carry my fat ass up 20 flights of stairs. By himself. In full FFE.

Just for reference Junior, I'm pushing near 300lbs.

Hell, I might even buy the little fella a beer after that.
Well I got a good reason, that was just disrespectful. How would you feel if I called you a coward cause you joined the coast guard, not the army?

Thats what I thought, you'd get all riled up and flippin ****.

Now, when we enter a structure, you've got a partner and my partner is 6ft 2 and one bad som bitc#, so I wont be the only one draggin your fatass up those stairs..

btw, full gear isnt all that heavy.

Junior M
12-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I have family who has been in the military and they tell me that it would be a good thing to do. It helps you grow up real quick they tell me, but I am with Jr. on this one I have no desire to be in the military, it is just not me. I think that takes a certain kind of person. I would not be able to handle the stress that comes with that profession. I am not that kind of person that they are looking for.
Exactly, it just isnt me.

My mom served, my Dad, both of my grandfathers, now my brother. But I am not the only one that didnt serve, my oldest brother didnt(he didnt have a choice though) serve, multiple family members had nothing to do with the military. So its not like I am breaking some generations of family in the military BS.

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 09:38 AM
that funny...haha

I think you should look at Digger's advice carefully.
A skill like transmission rebuild is excellent but college or vocational hours will help you get your foot in the door someday. It's easier to do when you are young before you have to juggle a family, work, and school.

I have a bachelor's degree. i do not work within my specialy, business management (more for corporate) but I have it to fall back on should I quit or need to quit working for myself. I don't mean to preach but this is an opinion forum...never stop learning. Never stop reading and never let your skills become antiquated.
Should you decide you like EMS/Firefighting better than transmissions, give it 100%. You can have two careers that you love, then, by working your excavation business on your off days.
I was a volunteer FF so I know what the allure is especially the adrenaline rush but the training is long and hard if you want to do it full time. I was a paid EMT II for a number of years so I know that there can be plenty of time for a second career within EMS.
good luck on your future. You are young and that means you can go ANYWHERE from here.

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Thats pretty disrespectful imo.

Anyway you look at it, firefighters and soldiers they are protecting our country in one way or another..

true ..

AWJ Services
12-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I helped on one today while I was up there, a Honda Accord.. :wall

Front wheel drives are a cake walk. Give it a year and you will look back and laugh at how easy the job is compared to what it was in the beginning.
The tools are expensive if you buy good ones and an R&R man needs good ones. I think I financed 2 Snap on guys houses .:)

Bleed Green
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I think you should look at Digger's advice carefully.
A skill like transmission rebuild is excellent but college or vocational hours will help you get your foot in the door someday. It's easier to do when you are young before you have to juggle a family, work, and school.

I have a bachelor's degree. i do not work within my specialy, business management (more for corporate) but I have it to fall back on should I quit or need to quit working for myself. I don't mean to preach but this is an opinion forum...never stop learning. Never stop reading and never let your skills become antiquated.
Should you decide you like EMS/Firefighting better than transmissions, give it 100%. You can have two careers that you love, then, by working your excavation business on your off days.
I was a volunteer FF so I know what the allure is especially the adrenaline rush but the training is long and hard if you want to do it full time. I was a paid EMT II for a number of years so I know that there can be plenty of time for a second career within EMS.
good luck on your future. You are young and that means you can go ANYWHERE from here.

You are kinda using business management running your own company now aren't you?

93turbo
12-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I guess I'm the odd ball but as long as your sure you never want a job that you need a college education why waste the money when there are so many kids going to college and not getting a job when they get out. I never went and I have never had any times when it held me back or I had wished I had gone. I do agree though never stop learning I have always watched when ever someone was running a machine or tool or a piece of equipment you never know when you might need or want to do the same thing

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 12:26 PM
You are kinda using business management running your own company now aren't you?

Yeah, Bernie Madoff's plan. :) Seriously, I know in theory what I should do but don't always implement it for myself.

ksss
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
My suggestion would be to go down to your nearest Marine Corps or Army recruiter and tell them you want to carry a rifle for the next 4 years. Not drive trucks, work in the motor pool, not shuffle papers like some office pogue, but carry a rifle, learn the value of leadership, sacrifice, honor, and teamwork. To a great many people those are buzz words, to a Grunt they are much more than that, they are a way of life. It would do you well to learn it, the fact that you think it is not for you or that you don't need it, is all the more reason that you very likely do. However it is not always about what you may think is best or convenient. Sometimes it is about sacrifice for a larger cause.

When your done with your 4 year tour (goes fast as heck), you will have a great GI Bill to fall back on which can be used for college as well as other programs like apprenticeships. Provides much more than just college opportunities. Also you will have gained maturity to make the most of the doors that the GI bill can help open. When your ready to buy a house, the GI bill will help with that as well.

I would not ridicule you or any one else for not joining. I will say this however, we all are born and raised in this land with a debt that needs to be paid. Four years spent repaying that debt is a small pittance. Yes it could cost some blood, no one ever said that the price would not be without sacrifice. I lost several friends who's last names are now on the street signs in Camp Pendelton. That is honor that does not come without the ultimate in sacrifice.

Your from a military family, but each one of us has to carry their ruck. While being a volunteer FF is noble, and is a service to your community, however you are capable of much greater things.

The key is carry a rifle, there is no more noble a profession in the entire armed services than a man that makes his living learning and perfecting the fine art of combat. Get as close to the tip of the spear as you are capable of. Like the commercial says the change is forever. Do not confuse other occupations in the military with that of the grunt, while each is important in its own way. They all serve one purpose and that is to support the guy with a rifle. That Junior is where the rubber mets the road, and that is where you want to be.

I spent 8 years in...carrying a rifle. Without a doubt the single best decision I have ever made. I am still involved in many things which is why I go to Alabama every so often. You seem like an honorable lad Jr............. pay your own way. Don't let anyone else rob of you that opportunity and obligation.

GR your comments on this matter reflect what I and others have known all along. You are a SHEEP. You live in the safety provided for by others having never stood a post yourself. Yet you mock the effort and sacrifice made by those who have, do and will lay everything on the line on your behalf. You should conduct some honest self reflection. Acknowledge that you are alive, free and are able to benefit from all that Canada has to offer due to someone else being man enough to provide that for you. You are truly a sorry SOB.

Hanau
12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Well I got a good reason, that was just disrespectful. How would you feel if I called you a coward cause you joined the coast guard, not the army?

Thats what I thought, you'd get all riled up and flippin ****.

Not really. Interservice rivalry is part of the game. Everybody knows boys join the Marines and men join the Coast Guard. :waving:

Now, when we enter a structure, you've got a partner and my partner is 6ft 2 and one bad som bitc#, so I wont be the only one draggin your fatass up those stairs..

Ok Junior. You're in the basement. I'm incapacitated, your partner is incapaciatated. Your radio doesn't work and the flames are closing in. You have 3 minutes before we're all burned alive. 500lbs worth of people to move up 20 flights of stairs to safety. What do you do?

btw, full gear isnt all that heavy.

You got the newer light weight bunker gear? I had the old style FFE that was one piece. Made it easier to get in and out of scuttles. I also used the OBA that had a cartridge and was strapped to my chest.

Firefighting is a good skill to learn. The USCG spends a lot of money on firefighting training for the engineering rates. As an afloat EM I went to 200 hours of shipboard firefighting training at the Washington state firefighting academy, 120 hours of aviation firefighting at NAS Whidbey Island, 300 hours of damage control school at NAVSTA Bremerton, and completed the national EMT course/exam. That's only a fraction of what the DC rate does. Pretty much the minimum to earn my Cutterman badge.

Gravel Rat
12-19-2009, 07:55 PM
My suggestion would be to go down to your nearest Marine Corps or Army recruiter and tell them you want to carry a rifle for the next 4 years. Not drive trucks, work in the motor pool, not shuffle papers like some office pogue, but carry a rifle, learn the value of leadership, sacrifice, honor, and teamwork. To a great many people those are buzz words, to a Grunt they are much more than that, they are a way of life. It would do you well to learn it, the fact that you think it is not for you or that you don't need it, is all the more reason that you very likely do. However it is not always about what you may think is best or convenient. Sometimes it is about sacrifice for a larger cause.

When your done with your 4 year tour (goes fast as heck), you will have a great GI Bill to fall back on which can be used for college as well as other programs like apprenticeships. Provides much more than just college opportunities. Also you will have gained maturity to make the most of the doors that the GI bill can help open. When your ready to buy a house, the GI bill will help with that as well.

I would not ridicule you or any one else for not joining. I will say this however, we all are born and raised in this land with a debt that needs to be paid. Four years spent repaying that debt is a small pittance. Yes it could cost some blood, no one ever said that the price would not be without sacrifice. I lost several friends who's last names are now on the street signs in Camp Pendelton. That is honor that does not come without the ultimate in sacrifice.

Your from a military family, but each one of us has to carry their ruck. While being a volunteer FF is noble, and is a service to your community, however you are capable of much greater things.

The key is carry a rifle, there is no more noble a profession in the entire armed services than a man that makes his living learning and perfecting the fine art of combat. Get as close to the tip of the spear as you are capable of. Like the commercial says the change is forever. Do not confuse other occupations in the military with that of the grunt, while each is important in its own way. They all serve one purpose and that is to support the guy with a rifle. That Junior is where the rubber mets the road, and that is where you want to be.

I spent 8 years in...carrying a rifle. Without a doubt the single best decision I have ever made. I am still involved in many things which is why I go to Alabama every so often. You seem like an honorable lad Jr............. pay your own way. Don't let anyone else rob of you that opportunity and obligation.

GR your comments on this matter reflect what I and others have known all along. You are a SHEEP. You live in the safety provided for by others having never stood a post yourself. Yet you mock the effort and sacrifice made by those who have, do and will lay everything on the line on your behalf. You should conduct some honest self reflection. Acknowledge that you are alive, free and are able to benefit from all that Canada has to offer due to someone else being man enough to provide that for you. You are truly a sorry SOB.

You have your opinion I have mine I don't beleive in War never did never will but you Americans are war mongers. The idiot Bush had to get his little nose into other peoples problems. Now you have thousands of your citizens getting killed for no reason at all. Look at the cost of the war and look at what has done to your guys economy. All because of the IDIOT BUSH your country is in trillions into debt spending money on a war that wasn't needed.

Yes maybe if the USA was being attacked it might be justified but its not you guys didn't start messing around in Iraq.

Yep your really serving your country because your stupid president had to satisfy his little man syndrome. He should have been sent over and get his head blown off.

Ohwell it is the way it is the Americans have to get involved in other peoples business and you wonder why you guys are hated world wide.

Like I have said many times I have gotten to talk to many international tourists from all over the world. Their comments after visting the USA are not very nice. Americans don't think so.

If you guys in the USA don't live in fear all the time you would need to be war mongers. Your gov't breeds fear to keep their thumb over you guys. They like the fact that they can create fear to keep control. Everybody in the world knows it but the US citizens. Billions of dollars in your tax money being spent poof its gone. Lots of young men gone what were they defending it definatly wasn't your nation it was defending the low IQ Bush's ego.

The fall of the trade towers didn't have to happen it did because of Bush some say Bush had it done to keep the USA in fear.

Think what you want to think but be thankfull you don't have George Bush as president anymore or you would be spending trillions of dollars more on a war you will never win.

ksss
12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
You have your opinion I have mine I don't beleive in War never did never will but you Americans are war mongers. The idiot Bush had to get his little nose into other peoples problems. Now you have thousands of your citizens getting killed for no reason at all. Look at the cost of the war and look at what has done to your guys economy. All because of the IDIOT BUSH your country is in trillions into debt spending money on a war that wasn't needed.

Yes maybe if the USA was being attacked it might be justified but its not you guys didn't start messing around in Iraq.

Yep your really serving your country because your stupid president had to satisfy his little man syndrome. He should have been sent over and get his head blown off.

Ohwell it is the way it is the Americans have to get involved in other peoples business and you wonder why you guys are hated world wide.

Like I have said many times I have gotten to talk to many international tourists from all over the world. Their comments after visting the USA are not very nice. Americans don't think so.

If you guys in the USA don't live in fear all the time you would need to be war mongers. Your gov't breeds fear to keep their thumb over you guys. They like the fact that they can create fear to keep control. Everybody in the world knows it but the US citizens. Billions of dollars in your tax money being spent poof its gone. Lots of young men gone what were they defending it definatly wasn't your nation it was defending the low IQ Bush's ego.

The fall of the trade towers didn't have to happen it did because of Bush some say Bush had it done to keep the USA in fear.

Think what you want to think but be thankfull you don't have George Bush as president anymore or you would be spending trillions of dollars more on a war you will never win.

I will not waste my time. You are truely a @ucked up individual.

Hanau
12-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Actually the war in Iraq and Afghanistan is totally winnable GR.

First step is to put in place a true warfighting general. Someone like Patton or Schwartzkopf. A true blood and guts fighting man whose sole purpose in life is to annihilate the enemy.

Second step would be to remove all media and journalists from the theater of operations.

Third give the general complete authority to conduct military operations to crush the enemy with no oversight from Washington DC. Relax the rules of engagement considerably. Make any and all weapons in the US arsenal available to him with full authorization for release.

Do those 3 things and I promise you within 45 days any resistance in Iraq or Afghanistan would be completely crushed.

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 08:11 PM

First step is to put in place a true warfighting general. Someone like Patton or Schwartzkopf. A true blood and guts fighting man whose sole purpose in life is to annihilate the enemy.

Second step would be to remove all media and journalists from the theater of operations.

Third give the general complete authority to conduct military operations to crush the enemy with no oversight from Washington DC. Relax the rules of engagement considerably. Make any and all weapons in the US arsenal available to him with full authorization for release.

Do those 3 things and I promise you within 45 days any resistance in Iraq or Afghanistan would be completely crushed.

Yes, quit tying the soldiers hands behind their backs.

I did think some about the Army as Dad served two tours in Vietnam as a crane operator. It is a option and don't have any problems with the military. I feel people should be thankful of others sacrifice, if our country calls you have to respond and do your part.

I saw once - 'Only two forces are willing to die for you, Jesus and an American soldier'

Scag48
12-19-2009, 08:15 PM
GR you are so out of your skull it's not even fathomable.

Gravel Rat
12-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Shane I don't have anything against you and I don't use your beliefs in war to dislike you so why do you have to do it with anybody that doesn't beleive in war.

So you really think the trillions of dollars that Bush has spent on a war that has never been won worth it ?

Those people in Iraq have no care they will keep going till they kill every american soldier. Let those b*stards over there kill themselves off.

How many young americans that had a whole life ahead of them get killed because of George Bush.

I bet if you polled the US citizens they would like to see the USA out of the overseas war.

All that tax money spent on a war and the USA has problems with massive un-employment and poverty.

Shane how would your familly feel if you were sent over to Iraq and you got killed.

Gravel Rat
12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
GR you are so out of your skull it's not even fathomable.

Well deny the truth but Americans are scared you say boo and you guys run. Atleast Obama doesn't breed fear like Bush did.

If you beleive in War Scag go overseas and have your head blown off yep your saving your country. You lost your life because of a war that will never be won.

Hanau
12-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Damn straight Stuve.

I for one find it embarrassing that a country that can do this:

And has things like these:

Is incapable of kicking this guys ass!

Come on America, lets get with the program here. If we're going to win this thing lets go all out and fooking do it!

:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Gravel Rat
12-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Your country can't get any further into debt who are you going to borrow money from ?

ksss
12-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Your country can't get any further into debt who are you going to borrow money from ?

I do have a combat tour GR. I will not try and enlighten you. This is not the forum for these things, although I have much to say on the matter. You don't understand what is at stake, I shouldn't expect you to. Many in America don't get it either unfortunately. Ignorance knows no boarders.

Scag48
12-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Well deny the truth but Americans are scared you say boo and you guys run. Atleast Obama doesn't breed fear like Bush did.

If you beleive in War Scag go overseas and have your head blown off yep your saving your country. You lost your life because of a war that will never be won.

So we're cowardly for taking on the world's problems? How are we scared? I myself have no problem strapping up and serving this country. Like I said, I probably won't volunteer, but would go without question if asked.

zabmasonry
12-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Junior,

Don't go to school just because you should. (yes you should go to school) Don't go to work in a transmission shop because you don't know what to go to school for. Based on your posts here, I'd guess that you would like to end up owning your own business, and you're fairly smart. Don't waste your mind (or kill it working on cars).

RockSet N' Grade
12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Junior.......I read most of the posts, excluding of course Groveling Rot's. I enjoy your humor, honesty, willingness to jump in with both feet, quick wit, and knowing a lot of who you are and who you are not. You will find your way. There has been some good honest thoughts thrown out to you as options......I would take it a step further and say that there is something about you that endeared you enough to the guys on here that they would share openly with you.....nurture those qualities. You will do fine.......

ksss
12-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Here is a thought Junior,

The boy who is going to make a great man must not make up his mind merely to overcome a thousand obstacles, but to win in spite of a thousand repulses and defeats.
Theodore Roosevelt

Gravel Rat
12-20-2009, 12:45 AM
What ever Junior chooses don't be in a hurry and spend a whole pile of money on school then feel I don't want to do this for a living.

Soon as you graduate take some time to think about things what you think is good today may not be so good a couple years from now. I don't know how many years you have to go in H.S. . You have 50 years of working ahead of you.

AWJ Services
12-20-2009, 11:21 AM
What ever Junior chooses don't be in a hurry and spend a whole pile of money on school then feel I don't want to do this for a living.

Soon as you graduate take some time to think about things what you think is good today may not be so good a couple years from now. I don't know how many years you have to go in H.S. . You have 50 years of working ahead of you.

Any education is priceless. You obviously have a very normal IQ and you base your life decisions on what the Liberal media spoon feed you and follow blindly to be taken care of by your government but only about 2% of the people know what they want to do for there rest of there life at age 25 much less 16? In your opinion I guess we should all just sit at home till we have an epiphany and then start our life? Maybe if you would have just acted at age 18 instead of living under the protective wing of your parents till you decide what you would do for a living you would not have to work for 50 years.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Front wheel drives are a cake walk. Give it a year and you will look back and laugh at how easy the job is compared to what it was in the beginning.
The tools are expensive if you buy good ones and an R&R man needs good ones. I think I financed 2 Snap on guys houses .:)

well I dont have many tools, just the basics(155piece craftsman set, bottom box and some other goodies), but lucky for me I am using for his tools, for a while.

I acknowledge that it is something that is respectable and most should do.

but at this point in my life, I dont see it something I wanna do.. I'll fill that gap(very little of it) by firefighting..

Not really. Interservice rivalry is part of the game. Everybody knows boys join the Marines and men join the Coast Guard. :waving:

Ok Junior. You're in the basement. I'm incapacitated, your partner is incapaciatated. Your radio doesn't work and the flames are closing in. You have 3 minutes before we're all burned alive. 500lbs worth of people to move up 20 flights of stairs to safety. What do you do?

You got the newer light weight bunker gear? I had the old style FFE that was one piece. Made it easier to get in and out of scuttles. I also used the OBA that had a cartridge and was strapped to my chest.

Firefighting is a good skill to learn. The USCG spends a lot of money on firefighting training for the engineering rates. As an afloat EM I went to 200 hours of shipboard firefighting training at the Washington state firefighting academy, 120 hours of aviation firefighting at NAS Whidbey Island, 300 hours of damage control school at NAVSTA Bremerton, and completed the national EMT course/exam. That's only a fraction of what the DC rate does. Pretty much the minimum to earn my Cutterman badge.

if my partner is incapacitated and doesnt move, his umm, ah crap I cant remember the name, but the alarm thing is going off, someone else is coming in. I hope, but I cant rely on that.

I'd probably grab you by the shoulders, tie the rope i keep in my pockets around his air pack, grab ahold of it, and pull like a freakin mule on crack hoping adrenaline would get out.

If I dont make it, I dont make it. Atleast I died trying..

I agree, now GR, if you could keep your useless BS out of my thread, it'd be much obliged..

(No, I am not sure what that means, but I always wanted to say it, and this was the perfect oppurtunity. :laugh:)

we'll invade canada.. then give it back once we hear your bitc#ing and moaning!

Junior,

Don't go to school just because you should. (yes you should go to school) Don't go to work in a transmission shop because you don't know what to go to school for. Based on your posts here, I'd guess that you would like to end up owning your own business, and you're fairly smart. Don't waste your mind (or kill it working on cars).

thats not the reason I am doing this. I am doing this because I've realized that in the field I wanna one day enter, isnt always a money making industry. I am doing this because it is something I somewhat enjoy and its always a job that will be there as long as we have cars..

Junior.......I read most of the posts, excluding of course Groveling Rot's. I enjoy your humor, honesty, willingness to jump in with both feet, quick wit, and knowing a lot of who you are and who you are not. You will find your way. There has been some good honest thoughts thrown out to you as options......I would take it a step further and say that there is something about you that endeared you enough to the guys on here that they would share openly with you.....nurture those qualities. You will do fine.......

Thanks for the kind words RSG.. :waving:

Here is a thought Junior,

The boy who is going to make a great man must not make up his mind merely to overcome a thousand obstacles, but to win in spite of a thousand repulses and defeats.
Theodore Roosevelt

that actually makes alot of sense..

dude, I need to start thinking about it now, the earlier I get into a college or know what I am doing, the better.. AWJ, says it all below..

Any education is priceless. You obviously have a very normal IQ and you base your life decisions on what the Liberal media spoon feed you and follow blindly to be taken care of by your government but only about 2% of the people know what they want to do for there rest of there life at age 25 much less 16? In your opinion I guess we should all just sit at home till we have an epiphany and then start our life? Maybe if you would have just acted at age 18 instead of living under the protective wing of your parents till you decide what you would do for a living you would not have to work for 50 years.

Hanau
12-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Junior officially sets the record for most quotes in a single reply.

The pulling like a mule on crack is definetely sig worthy. Hope somebody uses it.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
I'd probably grab you by the shoulders, tie the rope i keep in my pockets around his air pack, grab ahold of it, and pull like a freakin mule on crack hoping adrenaline would get us out. fixed a typo

oh yeah, Bob, I dont have any new gear, buts its just bunker pants, jacket, flashmask, helmet and gloves..

infact, that crap you had is so out of date, we dont even have any in our gear room. And they give us explorers all the crap.

oh yeah, I been gone all weekend duck hunting, so Bob, you can thank my love of the outdoors for that record. :laugh:

Hanau
12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Shipboard firefighting is different from land based firefighting. The stuff we use because it works. The one piece suit keeps from getting snagged when descending ladders and climbing over equipment. The OBA is easy to take off your chest (while keeping the mask on) and getting through a 36" scuttle. Lots of tight places on a ship.

Now the aviation department had cool firefighting gear. Ever seen a potato suit? It's an aluminized 3 piece suit (pants, jacket, hood) designed to let a firefighter enter the intense heat of a burning aircraft. Jet fuel, magnesium, even aluminum burn at extremely high temperatures.

We set an old UH-1 Huey on fire on a pier. Fully loaded with fuel and everything. Once the magnesium started to burn we had no way to put it out. A 12 man fireteam pushed it over the side. You had 3 guys on hoses. 2 were on 90 degree fog providing a heat barrier. The third guys was hosing the deck with AFF. The remaining 9 of us had to push, by hand, the burning UH-1 off the pier into the ocean. Lots of fun.

The sucky part was having to hook up the crane lines to get it back out of the ocean. Polluting is bad. We also had to clean up the spilled jet fuel so the birdies and fishies wouldn't die.

Good times. All that and a paycheck.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Shipboard firefighting is different from land based firefighting. The stuff we use because it works. The one piece suit keeps from getting snagged when descending ladders and climbing over equipment. The OBA is easy to take off your chest (while keeping the mask on) and getting through a 36" scuttle. Lots of tight places on a ship.

Now the aviation department had cool firefighting gear. Ever seen a potato suit? It's an aluminized 3 piece suit (pants, jacket, hood) designed to let a firefighter enter the intense heat of a burning aircraft. Jet fuel, magnesium, even aluminum burn at extremely high temperatures.

We set an old UH-1 Huey on fire on a pier. Fully loaded with fuel and everything. Once the magnesium started to burn we had no way to put it out. A 12 man fireteam pushed it over the side. You had 3 guys on hoses. 2 were on 90 degree fog providing a heat barrier. The third guys was hosing the deck with AFF. The remaining 9 of us had to push, by hand, the burning UH-1 off the pier into the ocean. Lots of fun.

The sucky part was having to hook up the crane lines to get it back out of the ocean. Polluting is bad. We also had to clean up the spilled jet fuel so the birdies and fishies wouldn't die.

Good times. All that and a paycheck.
how many thousands of degrees?

Hottest I ever heard of actually being in was 1000, but it was a training burn and this guy loves to have the toughest crew around..

I am beginning to think someone wasnt telling the truth with that story, but who knows.

the one factual thing he said was the thermal imager whited out and that happens at a 1000, but that sounds kind of extreme for a person to be in..

Hanau
12-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I think magnesium burns at over 2,000 degrees. A burning helicopter will melt through a steel flight deck. Damn hot.

Obviously you can't work in that environment. That's where the 90 degree fog pattern comes in. It creates a thermal barrier. You have 125gpm of salt water (what we fight fires with on ships and flight decks) that's finely atomized. Really absorbs and reflects heat.

As long as the curtain of water is up and between you and the flame you can do your work. Like putting the wheels on the skid so the UH-1 can be rolled off the pier. Total immersion is the only way to extinguish a magnesium fire.

Interestingly enough if aluminum is exposed to enough heat long enough it will stop melting and start burning.

Anyway with the fog pattern and thermal barrier you're working in a 500 degree or less temp zone. Still hot, but the aluminized suit reflects most of that. It's like being in the south in summer. Hot and humid, but survivable.

Completely different story below decks. The fires may not be as hot as on a flight deck, but it's 100 times worse working conditions. It's dark, you're constantly banging into stuff, the FFE absorbs heat making you unbelieveably hot, the overhead is collapsing, it flat out sucks fightng fire below deck.

Give me a burning aircraft any day.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I think magnesium burns at over 2,000 degrees. A burning helicopter will melt through a steel flight deck. Damn hot.

Obviously you can't work in that environment. That's where the 90 degree fog pattern comes in. It creates a thermal barrier. You have 125gpm of salt water (what we fight fires with on ships and flight decks) that's finely atomized. Really absorbs and reflects heat.

As long as the curtain of water is up and between you and the flame you can do your work. Like putting the wheels on the skid so the UH-1 can be rolled off the pier. Total immersion is the only way to extinguish a magnesium fire.

Interestingly enough if aluminum is exposed to enough heat long enough it will stop melting and start burning.

Anyway with the fog pattern and thermal barrier you're working in a 500 degree or less temp zone. Still hot, but the aluminized suit reflects most of that. It's like being in the south in summer. Hot and humid, but survivable.

Completely different story below decks. The fires may not be as hot as on a flight deck, but it's 100 times worse working conditions. It's dark, you're constantly banging into stuff, the FFE absorbs heat making you unbelieveably hot, the overhead is collapsing, it flat out sucks fightng fire below deck.

Give me a burning aircraft any day.
an aircraft fire sounds like a bigger, hotter carfire..

and a fire below deck sounds like a typical structure fire.

I am suppose to enter a structure in april at a training, if everything works out.

Gravel Rat
12-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Maybe a good start after school would be going to business school so you can start the business you want to start. It sounds like your not too excited about rebuilding transmissions. You have to think how much work will there be as a transmission rebuilder. Most vehicals now have to be fixed at a dealer the transmission has so much electronic chit on it.

The way the gov't regulations they want all old vehicals off the road so the days off having vehicals with simple transmissions like a Turbo 400 the days are numbered.

Cummins343
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM

As much as i love this country and support it i think the war is not winnable. This is a biblical war dating back thousands of years. We will not solve their problems. The Russians couldn't do it and they've got 3million+ more men then we do.

Hanau
12-20-2009, 08:57 PM
It is a lot like a structural fire, with a few notable exceptions.

First is access. A fire in an engine room on a ship can be 30 feet below the waterline. Typically with only one hatch leading in/out.

Second is space. Everything is really packed tight in an engine room. Lots of sharp pointy things to snag a hose, lots of things hanging down to bang your head on, not much room to maneuver.

In a housefire you can fight it from outside. On a ship you have to go into the space and tackle it head on.

Most ships have Halon for out of control fires. Seal the hatch, kill ventilation, and pull the pin. It's a last resort though. Say you have 4 mains in a space and only one is burning. Well if you dump Halon the gas can corrode all the engines. So instead of 1 dead main now you have 4.

Which can leave your ship helpless.

At sea it's all about saving the ship. The ship is your life. We're trained to seal the hatches and let 20 of our shipmates burn to death or drown if it means saving the ship. Human life (even the Captains) has no bearing on saving the ship. Save the ship, save the equipment, save the logs, then worry about human life.

Now shipboard firefighting is a good field to get into if you can. The firefighters at Port of Seattle do really well, they make much more than the regular city firefighters.

Cummins343
12-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Here's a pic of one our interior ops(actually featured on a nat'l FF website for stupidity) You probably know who's comin out of that door. I'll let you guess.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Maybe a good start after school would be going to business school so you can start the business you want to start. It sounds like your not too excited about rebuilding transmissions. You have to think how much work will there be as a transmission rebuilder. Most vehicals now have to be fixed at a dealer the transmission has so much electronic chit on it.

The way the gov't regulations they want all old vehicals off the road so the days off having vehicals with simple transmissions like a Turbo 400 the days are numbered.
me and the bossman were talking about the other day, he rebuilds any transmission that comes in, he doesnt care.

and you know how many turbo 400's come in anymore? HARDLY ANY(yes, we talked about that to)

why do you have to put a downspin on everything, GR? Honestly, he rebuilds anything that comes in the door. I'll agree, they are electronic as hell, but a shop can be setup to fix those problems. and he is.

Hell, when he rebuild the tranny in my truck, I had as much in electronics as all the parts! But there is dam good money in rebuilding tranny's because they arent simple.

and your right, I am not that excited, but I am happy to have a job. I am glad I am doing it, I am more than happy to get up in the morning. No, I am not jumping up and down excited like Willie with a new toy, but I am dam glad to have a job and I am goin to go into the shop with a smile on my face and be dam glad to be there. and not dreading it like you do your job..

Cummins343
12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
me and the bossman were talking about the other day, he rebuilds any transmission that comes in, he doesnt care.

and you know how many turbo 400's come in anymore? HARDLY ANY(yes, we talked about that to)

why do you have to put a downspin on everything, GR? Honestly, he rebuilds anything that comes in the door. I'll agree, they are electronic as hell, but a shop can be setup to fix those problems. and he is.

Hell, when he rebuild the tranny in my truck, I had as much in electronics as all the parts! But there is dam good money in rebuilding tranny's because they arent simple.

and your right, I am not that excited, but I am happy to have a job. I am glad I am doing it, I am more than happy to get up in the morning. No, I am not jumping up and down excited like Willie with a new toy, but I am dam glad to have a job and I am goin to go into the shop with a smile on my face and be dam glad to be there. and not dreading it like you do your job..Go into interior ops with a smile on you face too!:)

RockSet N' Grade
12-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Junior.......there is more than just "good money" in transmission rebuilds. I have a friend in Texas who started with one rebuild shop. It afforded him a good life style and enough money to buy/start another shop. He now owns 3 plus shops and just plays and plays and plays......oh yea, he makes enough money that he bought a Harley dealership to fund his passion with motorcycles. This could be a great thing! Dive in - full steam ahead!!

Junior M
12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Go into interior ops with a smile on you face too!:)
I cant freakin wait for that!

:cool2:

Hanau
12-20-2009, 09:16 PM
That firefighting picture brings back memories. Fire school is fun.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
That firefighting picture brings back memories. Fire school is fun.
and all I gotta do is have a paper signed by the chief and I can get into most of these classes.. :cool2: its gonna be badass!

Cummins343
12-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I cant freakin wait for that!

:cool2:Oh i know you can't wait. Wait till you have to "hit the deck" cause conditions deteriorate inside, and then the room next to you flashes over and the fire starts rollin over your head, then you make your attack! Knock that sumb!tch down.

Cummins343
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
That firefighting picture brings back memories. Fire school is fun.It's a keeper aint it? I'm gonna blow it up and frame it.

Junior M
12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh i know you can't wait. Wait till you have to "hit the deck" cause conditions deteriorate inside, and then the room next to you flashes over and the fire starts rollin over your head, then you make your attack! Knock that sumb!tch down.
Its goin to be kickass, I hope my buddy makes up his mind joins so he can take these classes with me. There is only one explorer left at the station that would want to take these classes with me and he never shows cause of crap he's got at school.

ksss
12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
As much as i love this country and support it i think the war is not winnable. This is a biblical war dating back thousands of years. We will not solve their problems. The Russians couldn't do it and they've got 3million+ more men then we do.

Educate yourself on what the mission is. We are not their to solve their problems. It is not a biblical war. See what I mean GR.

Cummins343
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Educate yourself on what the mission is. We are not their to solve their problems. It is not a biblical war. See what I mean GR.We're trying to change the way they live by making the country into a democracy. We were over there in the first place, to take out the taliban which we did do in quick fashion, but now they've rebuilt and are back at it again. Am I gonna have to break out my bible and have story time with you about this? And like I said again, if the RUSSIAN's could not defeat them, neither can we.

Hanau
12-21-2009, 12:42 AM
The US is stronger than Russia, we won the Cold War.

ksss
12-21-2009, 01:40 AM
We're trying to change the way they live by making the country into a democracy. We were over there in the first place, to take out the taliban which we did do in quick fashion, but now they've rebuilt and are back at it again. Am I gonna have to break out my bible and have story time with you about this? And like I said again, if the RUSSIAN's could not defeat them, neither can we.

OK read closely.

The PRIMARY purpose of our presence in Afghanistan is the following.

Eliminate the use of Afghanistan as a training and staging area for terrorist attacks all over the world. Simple as that.

The method by which that is accomplished involves some "nation building" NO ONE expects to institute a Jeffersonian type Democracy in Afghanistan. The hope is win the local populace over and hope that they will refuse the Taliban/Al Qaida influence. Thus keeping all of us more safe.

The difference between the Russian INVASION of Afghanistan and the NATO Presence in Afghanistan is this. The purpose of the Russian'so push into Afghanistan was based on an expansionist philosophy of the USSR. They wanted to assimilate Afghanistan into the Soviet states. To relate this more closely to your Bible reference. We are not invading Afghanistan. No one has ever conquered that country, nor do we intend to. There are many reasons for that, and I wont go into that, study it and you will educate yourself.

Do you really think that highly of the Russian Army? The reason that the USSR was unsuccessful in Afghanistan was largely due to the United States. Much like the reason that we were unsuccessful in Vietnam was due to the Soviets. The reason we were fought to a standstill in Korea was due to China.

The Soviet war machine of the time (not much different than now ) was made up primarily conscripts, poorly trained, poorly equipped, very poorly lead. They were a paper Tiger especially in the late 80's.

If you equate the Russian ability to wage war to our ability to wage war, you really need to educate yourself. Seriously.

The process in Afghanistan is certainly not perfect, but we will own that conflict as long as we are allowed to.

I doubt I will change your mind but perhaps I can inspire you to educate yourself. If everyone in America would do the same, we could actually get something done.

93turbo
12-21-2009, 01:29 PM
Damn straight Stuve.

I for one find it embarrassing that a country that can do this:

And has things like these:

Is incapable of kicking this guys ass!

Come on America, lets get with the program here. If we're going to win this thing lets go all out and fooking do it!

:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

The reason is none of those things you show that we have is effective against an enemy that hides behind women and children :nono: and even you can't think its right to just kill them all:confused:

And one of your post said if it was up to you every kid graduating would get guns and boots and be made to serve :confused: Are you really this big of a moron? Forcing kids to join the military for one would defeat what thousands have fought and died for and thats the freedom of choice. And second you would ruin our fighting forces how effective do you think they would be if over half of them didn't want to be there? The reason we have such an awsome millitary is because of thier belief and passion for what they are doing:weightlifter:

So heres a reminder Bob what its all about and for GR and any others who think we Americans are trash

http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom/nr_j0199_landing.html

RockSet N' Grade
12-21-2009, 01:57 PM
93Turbo........I watched it. I liked it mainly because one of my personal hero's (Oliver North) was the speaker. I can still remember when he was being interogated by Congress and one congressman why he spent such a large amount of money to secure his. His response basically was that Osama binLadin was the most dangerous man on the face of the planet. Congressman asked him who was this guy and that he had never heard of him before? The congressman asking/interrogating Mr. North was Al Gore.

ksss
12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
The reason is none of those things you show that we have is effective against an enemy that hides behind women and children :nono: and even you can't think its right to just kill them all:confused:

And one of your post said if it was up to you every kid graduating would get guns and boots and be made to serve :confused: Are you really this big of a moron? Forcing kids to join the military for one would defeat what thousands have fought and died for and thats the freedom of choice. And second you would ruin our fighting forces how effective do you think they would be if over half of them didn't want to be there? The reason we have such an awsome millitary is because of thier belief and passion for what they are doing:weightlifter:

So heres a reminder Bob what its all about and for GR and any others who think we Americans are trash

http://www.nragive.com/ringoffreedom/nr_j0199_landing.html

Hey Bright Star never have I said that military service should mandatory. No I am not that big of a moron, but I am certain you are.

Tell you what, educate yourself and come back when you are better armed (mentally).

Hanau
12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Shane, I think he might have been talking about me. Apparently he took my giving Junior grief as gospel.

Junior M
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Shane, I think he might have been talking about me. Apparently he took my giving Junior grief as gospel.
who wouldnt? :rolleyes:

Hanau
12-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Get that minefield cleared yet?

93turbo
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey Bright Star never have I said that military service should mandatory. No I am not that big of a moron, but I am certain you are.

Tell you what, educate yourself and come back when you are better armed (mentally).

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Well since your so dang intelligent maybe if you read real slow you'll see I was talking to Bob so next time you jump on your high horse maybe you'll have your facts straight first.:rolleyes:

And Bob if you wanna give Jr a hard time I could care less when you talk about his manly girl friends or whatever but when you make BS statements about all should serve or someone who wants to be a FF is a coward on a public forum it just shows your ignorance and poor judgement. If you had said something like that closer to 9/11 and the wrong person read it I wouldn't be suprised if someone tracked you down and kicked the crap out of you. Your also starting to sound like GR you have done everything only bigger and better and under harder circumstances:rolleyes:

Junior M
12-21-2009, 08:01 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Well since your so dang intelligent maybe if you read real slow you'll see I was talking to Bob so next time you jump on your high horse maybe you'll have your facts straight first.:rolleyes:

And Bob if you wanna give Jr a hard time I could care less when you talk about his manly girl friends or whatever but when you make BS statements about all should serve or someone who wants to be a FF is a coward on a public forum it just shows your ignorance and poor judgement. If you had said something like that closer to 9/11 and the wrong person read it I wouldn't be suprised if someone tracked you down and kicked the crap out of you. Your also starting to sound like GR you have done everything only bigger and better and under harder circumstances:rolleyes:
I wanna kick the crap out of him now!

Hanau
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Well maybe I need to start putting a disclaimer on my posts when it's me giving Junior grief. To avoid any confusion.

Sorry you took it so personal.

Peace.

Junior M
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Well maybe I need to start putting a disclaimer on my posts when it's me giving Junior grief. To avoid any confusion.

Sorry you took it so personal.

Peace.
well Bob, I can deal with you talking about charlie and me and all that other ****. But that "joke" was to far.

93turbo
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
I wanna kick the crap out of him now!

:laugh::laugh: Easy Jr all some people have is getting other people aggitated when they are far away:hammerhead:

Hanau
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Lets have a group hug.

93turbo
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Lets have a group hug.

Ha not me your desperate and I don't want to be your only physical contact:nono::nono::laugh:

Hanau
12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I need to feel the warm loving touch of another human being. Please be the one turbo. Touch me. Hug me. Hold me.

ksss
12-21-2009, 08:13 PM

Thats alright, it applies to him as well.

Junior M
12-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Lets have a group hug.
lets not............

AEL
12-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey Gr- Can you maker your signature something like- Opinions expressed are only of this one dumb as a stump canadian, and not the rest of Canada? Thanks. Your giving the rest of us a bad name.

Gravel Rat
12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
What I have said is what most people I know on the West Coast of B.C. feel.

I don't beleive in War that is my opinion many people don't. As for what the tourist from other countries have said about americans you do have to laugh a little bit especially when the tourists get excited talking about it.

When you get to talk to tourists from all parts of the world you learn alot.

mudmaker
12-21-2009, 11:57 PM
What does it matter what several rich international tourist think??

I don't think foreign policy should be a popularity contest. Sometimes the right decision is not the popular one. Leaders without backbone just blow in the wind of opinion polls, but leaders with backbone stick to their principles even when it isn't popular.

Gravel Rat
12-22-2009, 12:10 AM
They are not rich tourists some are some are not. They come to North America to experience it. But they have said when american citizens come to their country they can be very rude.

Something I was taught in history class was if you visit other countries and you are a Canadian make sure you display a CND flag you will be treated with respect. The teacher used to travel internationaly and he said if you were thought or associated to be a american you were treated poorly or ignored. If you said you are CND you were treated very well. The tourist I have talked to over the years confirmed that.

I haven't had any problems with people from the USA.

mudmaker
12-22-2009, 12:26 AM
I haven't had any problems with people from the USA.

Then why do you even give any weight to what tourist say? You have talked about their opinions many times.

93turbo
12-22-2009, 01:22 AM
I need to feel the warm loving touch of another human being. Please be the one turbo. Touch me. Hug me. Hold me.

Its all good Bob but your gonna have to get one of your mail order brides to do it for ya:laugh: besides trust me they are way hotter :laugh:

93turbo
12-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Thats alright, it applies to him as well.

What applies to who? If your talking about me I don't really understand. You attacked me cause somehow you thought I was replying to you even though theres a giant quote of Bobs and I never mention you anywhere in the post. So if you got a problem with me lets hear it. I thought you were one of the more stand up guys on here maybe your not or maybe your having a bad day or whatever either way I got a good luagh at your reply anyhow

Bleed Green
12-22-2009, 02:19 AM
One thing is for sure...this thread has gone in a different direction. One minute we are talking about Jr. getting a new job and the next we get on war and now it seems to be everyone in a cat fight. Where has this thread gone LOL.

93turbo
12-22-2009, 02:41 AM
One thing is for sure...this thread has gone in a different direction. One minute we are talking about Jr. getting a new job and the next we get on war and now it seems to be everyone in a cat fight. Where has this thread gone LOL.

:laugh::laugh: atleast we're only ruining Jr's thread :cool2::cool2:

Junior M
12-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Then why do you even give any weight to what tourist say? You have talked about their opinions many times.

exactly, he talks like it is actual fact that he has proven himself with experience. But when it boils down to it, he's doing nothing but talking s#it to make the Americans feel like complete assholes when we make him feel bad. pretty sorry move I think. I mean he cant even come up with his own material to insult us separately? Whats even worse, he doesnt even believe the crap he's saying!

:laugh::laugh: atleast we're only ruining Jr's thread :cool2::cool2:

yeah really! :laugh:

its LS, you should know something like this was gonna happen..

Bleed Green
12-22-2009, 12:05 PM
yeah really! :laugh:

its LS, you should know something like this was gonna happen..

I've been around here long enough, I guess I should have known this would go arye sooner or later. LOL

YellowDogSVC
12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
93Turbo........I watched it. I liked it mainly because one of my personal hero's (Oliver North) was the speaker. I can still remember when he was being interogated by Congress and one congressman why he spent such a large amount of money to secure his. His response basically was that Osama binLadin was the most dangerous man on the face of the planet. Congressman asked him who was this guy and that he had never heard of him before? The congressman asking/interrogating Mr. North was Al Gore.

I remember the interrogation/congressional Iran-Contra hearings. I had just graduated HS and was home recuperating from a shoulder injury. To be accurate, though, it wasn't Osama Bin Laden that was mentioned but rather Abu Nidal in reference to the grilling North was taking on the security system.. What I remember most was...the "I'm not a potted plant" comment by Roy Black and Fawn Hall...she was hot! But I digress.

YellowDogSVC
12-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Its goin to be kickass, I hope my buddy makes up his mind joins so he can take these classes with me. There is only one explorer left at the station that would want to take these classes with me and he never shows cause of crap he's got at school.

just respect it. When you stop respecting fire or emergency situations is when you can get hurt. I have been in some scary fires. A healthy respect for fire and a respect for your own mortality and your partner's mortality may keep you safe. It's easy to feel indestructible when you are young..real easy.
If I could go back and do it all over again, I would keep a journal and take more pictures. Enjoy your career path and enjoy the learning process..it will make it go by fast!

ksss
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
I remember the interrogation/congressional Iran-Contra hearings. I had just graduated HS and was home recuperating from a shoulder injury. To be accurate, though, it wasn't Osama Bin Laden that was mentioned but rather Abu Nidal in reference to the grilling North was taking on the security system.. What I remember most was...the "I'm not a potted plant" comment by Roy Black and Fawn Hall...she was hot! But I digress.

Fawn Hall, man thats a blast from the past. I always that would have been a great porn name. She certainly was hot. Maybe she went into porn, I am sure Ron could tell us.:laugh::laugh:

Course Daisy Duke was hot also, she could make a Freight Train take a gravel road now.

YellowDogSVC
12-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Fawn Hall, man thats a blast from the past. I always that would have been a great porn name. She certainly was hot. Maybe she went into porn, I am sure Ron could tell us.:laugh::laugh:

Course Daisy Duke was hot also, she could make a Freight Train take a gravel road now.

I think Fawn Hall went into rehab with her hubby..a Door's producer. Same time frame.. Donna Rice..

Junior M
12-25-2009, 07:53 PM
figured I should update this after my first week:

Started out monday cleaning up the tranny room just for general purposes and so I could have a bench of my own to work on. While in the process we found a little top box that he has given to me, dont know why. I dont have anything to put in it. I mean I got tools of my own here at the house, but just a 155 piece set from Sears, a set of gear wrenches and screw drivers, and some other stuff I've added to make things easier. Just enough to do what I need to do. If I buy anything it'll be a 3/8s impact. But I am not taking anything of my own out there until I get to the point where I am working on my own..

But back to this week. I started out monday cleaning up the room, then we went and grabbed a 4L60 Chevy tranny to rebuild just incase the original 4L60 he rebuilt for a Camaro didnt work out. But he did most of the work on that one, I just watched and learned what things were. Got another 4L60 to put in inventory that I did pretty much by myself, he just stood back and guided me.

overall, I am liking it. Sure it isnt running a trackhoe, but its good enough for me to want to go to work every day. I am liking it the more I get to do it. I really like it when he leaves me with something to do on my own. So I am pretty sure once I get to the point where I can do most of the work on my own I'll like it alot more. Along with when I get my own tools. :cool2:

Btw, that first 4L60 ended up being put in that camaro, it shifted great. Kinda hesitated between 2nd and 3rd. Not really sure why, he thought maybe because of all the grease and stuff inside from building. But he sent it out anyway telling them to put an easy 500 miles on it and if it wasnt any better after 500 miles to bring it back and he'll see what he can do.

mxridernorth
12-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Man. Seriously. GR is giving us a bad name here in the Great White North. While I don't want to lessen the valor of our soldiers fighting overseas (we are heavily vested in Afghanistan after all (a local boy was just killed a couple of days ago), I don't think this thread should be hijacked by such an emotional subject. Start another one if you want to debate the subject.

Junior. I'll chime in on my life's experience so far. After high school I drifted around in College not knowing what I wanted out of life (still don't really but I'm narrowing it down). At the time, I only thought the way to a good future was a university education. So I continued to take classes in sciences. Finally, after taking part time classes for like 3 years I decided to do something with a concrete application.

I went and signed up for mechanical engineering technology (2 yr program). It was coop and I managed to score some good work experience. After working for a year I decided that a real degree would give me the knowledge to get further. So i went back and finished my degree. Just as I graduated the tech bubble was just about to burst and i thought that a sure way to get rich was in the dot com industry. So I gave my mechanical engineering degree up (sort of) and sold myself as a software developer. That's what I've been doing since. Designing software that is used for, among other things, the production of US Navy vessels :usflag: All the while, I was coming to the realization that I really don't enjoy sitting in an office and would way rather be outside.

I've been running a mini ex on the side for a couple of years and decided to make a bit of a gamble on purchasing a spider excavator. So now it's really on. I'm hoping to switch my roles in a couple of years and work primarily on the spider and part time as a developer or engineer (though I'm a bit rusty as a mech eng:)).

So what I guess I'm saying is that what you are doing is smart. Give yourself the opportunity to pursue what your dreams are. Investing in your education is a good basis for this. That said, I wouldn't discount being a full-time FF. I've got several that are fire fighters and they have great lives. If I had to do it over again I'd definitely consider it. Up here they all work 4 on 4 off and virtually every one of them has a side job that they do. They do well (with the ladies as well).

Good luck.

BTW I just yanked the auto trans from my VW Golf because it was giving me grief. Swapped it for a 5 spd. It gave me real grief getting it out of there too. Damn torque converted bolts that I didn't know I needed to remove first!

DaveAust
12-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Junior.
Some accounts on life from way south in Australia. I'll steer away from comments on wars, the military and politics as I'd only start another argument but here's a bit of what worked for me over my life so far.

Went to university in 1978 after a reasonable school record, lasted 6 months and decided being a teacher was not for me. Did some casual work labouring etc to save some money for a road trip up the coast and found a nice place where I got work as a siding salesman for 3 months. Actually was quite good at it but someone ran into my car and put it off the road so that was the end of that which was good timing as I was sick of the job by then. Was unemployed and surfing for a few months doing up another car in which I ultimately drove back to the old home town inland.

Did some more labouring and then got some work driving an ancient Fiat dozer doing brush clearing and farm improvements. Applied for a position with Soil Conservation as a dozer operator and got the job. After 6 months my foreman took ill with a brain tumour and I took his place and had a driver under me. This lasted another year or so and I had had enough so I went and worked for another earthmoving company for 3 months. During this time I bought a Fiat 70CI dozer myself and began doing it up and getting a set of rippers for it. Gave up the other earthmoving job and went out on my own after borrowing some money from a trusting Uncle. (Fully repaid after 1 year.) Money was needed as the dozer stripped the steering clutches on the first job and on closer inspection needed a full final drive rebuild:cry:

Undeterred I fixed the dozer and went out working in my own business. After a while I convinced a mate to join me and with another dozer we worked together. This was good for a while but then our future desires changed so we sold the dozers and went our separate ways. I started from scatch, then ran, a number of retail businesses from food to sportsgoods. During this time I met my partner which was a good move in business. She was good at the admin stuff and I was good at sales, a great combination in any business.

Then we sold the retail businesses and with a reasonable profit moved to the coast. Invested in houses when the price was low and rented them for holidays, sold windsurf and later kitesurf gear from home and turned my interest in computers into a mobile business which had a good cashflow all year round. But after years away from machinery and earthmoving equipment, (and probably long enough to forget being knee deep in mud, tools and parts doing repairs), I had to go back and bought a small secondhand backhoe. I was hooked worse than before and sold this backhoe at a profit and bought a slightly bigger machine, a JCB 1CX combo skidsteer & backhoe. Then had to buy a small tiptruck, attachments like a rock breaker and then built a small rock crusher from a jaw crusher I imported from India and a diesel engine from the Internet.

So I have about 4 small businesses now all of which I enjoy and if one is costing me money then the others will cover it. One of the common threads for the last approx. 30 years is that I have been my own boss running the businesses I liked and Heavy Equipment was, and still is, one of the most significant parts of that 30 years. I do come from a family who ran their own businesses or farms and growing up as a kid with a father who was a mechanic and ran a garage was a big help.
The other common thread was variety. I hated doing something I didn't like, so when it got too boring I did something else I did like, and would also hopefully be profitable enough to live off. Once again a partner who has some skills comes in handy as sometimes she took on work in her own skill area to keep the cashflow going in lean times.

And I suppose that's the other reason for success in what I did, I didn't do it all on my own. My partner was an integral part of my life and business, and without her neither would have been as successful or as enjoyable. (I could have ended up in a basement complaining about my job and lack of women and you know the rest of the crap from GR... nahh not bloody likely) And hey, it's still great and getting even better:clapping: I have so much to do both work and pleasure wise, that the future looks damn good. And I've got to know the boss over the years:) and I don't think I could work as an employee.

So whatever you do make sure you enjoy it and know that at your age the possibility to do anything you like is there waiting for you if you really want it.

Have a great life, Dave (Australia)

DuallyVette
12-26-2009, 11:52 AM
figured I should update this after my first week:

Started out monday cleaning up the tranny room just for general purposes and so I could have a bench of my own to work on. While in the process we found a little top box that he has given to me, dont know why. I dont have anything to put in it. I mean I got tools of my own here at the house, but just a 155 piece set from Sears, a set of gear wrenches and screw drivers, and some other stuff I've added to make things easier. Just enough to do what I need to do. If I buy anything it'll be a 3/8s impact. But I am not taking anything of my own out there until I get to the point where I am working on my own..

But back to this week. I started out monday cleaning up the room, then we went and grabbed a 4L60 Chevy tranny to rebuild just incase the original 4L60 he rebuilt for a Camaro didnt work out. But he did most of the work on that one, I just watched and learned what things were. Got another 4L60 to put in inventory that I did pretty much by myself, he just stood back and guided me.

overall, I am liking it. Sure it isnt running a trackhoe, but its good enough for me to want to go to work every day. I am liking it the more I get to do it. I really like it when he leaves me with something to do on my own. So I am pretty sure once I get to the point where I can do most of the work on my own I'll like it alot more. Along with when I get my own tools. :cool2:

Btw, that first 4L60 ended up being put in that camaro, it shifted great. Kinda hesitated between 2nd and 3rd. Not really sure why, he thought maybe because of all the grease and stuff inside from building. But he sent it out anyway telling them to put an easy 500 miles on it and if it wasnt any better after 500 miles to bring it back and he'll see what he can do.

SO...as far as automatic transmissions go...If you ever need your transmission repaired: Take it out, sell it to a rebuilder. Get a NEW transmission from the dealer. It will come with the same warranty that a new tranny in a new car gets. Even 3 yrs 36000 miles is a better wager than any rebuild. I learned this back in the 1980's...I'm sure it's still the same ...especially after reading your post.

Junior M
12-26-2009, 12:04 PM
SO...as far as automatic transmissions go...If you ever need your transmission repaired: Take it out, sell it to a rebuilder. Get a NEW transmission from the dealer. It will come with the same warranty that a new tranny in a new car gets. Even 3 yrs 36000 miles is a better wager than any rebuild. I learned this back in the 1980's...I'm sure it's still the same ...especially after reading your post.
what are you trying to say?

And price a rebuild to a new tranny. Rebuild is alot cheaper and if you let us install the tranny we'll give you a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

Btw, we will only warranty the tranny for 30days if you buy a rebuilt tranny from us and install it yourself.

Like the mechanics in the shop that actually do the install and removal of trannies say, we can go 5 or 6 trannies, not on problem. But we'll end up with one that'll give us nothing but headaches. Transmissions are super finicky, any little thing will knock them off and out of wack. They arent like a motor, every problem is different. Its rare to see a tranny with the exact same problem, initiated in the exact same way.

Oh yeah, we do a thing where we'll trade you a tranny, give us your old one and we'll sell you a rebuilt one for cheaper. A trashed transmission isnt worth much. So money wise especially if you dont have alot of money and you cant turn a wrench, its cheaper to just bring your truck to us and let us rebuild the tranny. We can have it in and out the door in a couple days as long as parts are available and the tranny works fine.

Gravel Rat
12-26-2009, 01:35 PM
It would be challenging and make your mind think doing transmission rebuilds it can be frustrating too I guess when a part pops out you don't see or where is come from :laugh:

Junior M
12-26-2009, 01:37 PM
It would be challenging and make your mind think doing transmission rebuilds it can be frustrating too I guess when a part pops out you don't see or where is come from :laugh:
actually, no its not all that hard now that I've done it a couple times. Complicated as hell yes, but its really not all that hard to do. Just takes some common sense..

Construct'O
12-26-2009, 03:31 PM
My brother is a mechanic been doing transmissions for close to 40 years,is semi retired,but still working three days a week.

Has worked for Ford dealership for ever,but can do other brands(Dodge:) ) transmission also older Chevy and some Allinsons,also straight stick ones.

He's had his share of problems.Leaky cases that couldn't seen or find, was the problem, until the third time out and in:cry:.

The new stuff he has had to struggle with more because of the electronic shift and stuff.Doesn't know or like the computer part that comes with finding the codes.Part of the reason here is semi retired.

The good part is he has a friend that does the code part and brother does the mechanial part.Not sure if they will have him train someone or just search for someone already trained?

The dealership has over the years sent him to training school on the new stuff,which has been a good deal.Sometimes it was more partying the schooling:laugh:

Got too say he is pretty darn good,but every now and then one gives him fits.Good luck with the new job:usflag:

AWJ Services
12-26-2009, 04:52 PM
actually, no its not all that hard now that I've done it a couple times. Complicated as hell yes, but its really not all that hard to do. Just takes some common sense..

Ha Ha .
Lets have this conversation in a couple years.

I have done about every domestic trans( auto or manual) made.
I also was stuck fixing the electronic problems from about 10 transmission shops around me.
I also did Trans when I worked at Ford as well.

It costs major money to run a Repair shop and people would piss and moan about paying 65 bucks to have there codes pulled but yet you can buy a Bobcat for 10k and work for an hour and make 250 bucks and the customer is tickled pink.:hammerhead:

Junior M
12-26-2009, 04:52 PM
He's had his share of problems.Leaky cases that couldn't seen or find, was the problem, until the third time out and in:cry:.

The new stuff he has had to struggle with more because of the electronic shift and stuff.

Got too say he is pretty darn good,but every now and then one gives him fits.Good luck with the new job:usflag:

Thats part of the thing, these parts can have cracks in them that you'll never see. You can put the tranny together perfect, put it in and it'll have a problem. Take it back out, pull it apart and look at every single piece, and they look good. But those cracks you cant see are the problem.. You end up doing just what we did, pulling another one out of the yard and rebuilding it.

No tranny builder is perfect, but they do there best and are constantly learning. Looks like Duallyvette either came across a bad builder or just a bad tranny that was having problems..

All a builder can do is try and correct the problem and not ruin his name over something that in the end wasnt his fault, but the customer turns it into his fault..

I am not going to lie, electronics sure do suck and can really mess you up. But they are pretty easy to replace so its not a big deal to replace them once its in the car. the thing is, the electronics are so freakin expensive.. :wall

I had $350 in parts in rebuilding the tranny in the Dakota. Had another $350 in electronics! :wall :cry:

Junior M
12-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Ha Ha .
Lets have this conversation in a couple years.

I have done about every domestic trans( auto or manual) made.
I also was stuck fixing the electronic problems from about 10 transmission shops around me.
I also did Trans when I worked at Ford as well.

It costs major money to run a Repair shop and people would piss and moan about paying 65 bucks to have there codes pulled but yet you can buy a Bobcat for 10k and work for an hour and make 250 bucks and the customer is tickled pink.:hammerhead:
I dont see whats so funny?

when I said it wasnt hard, the work isnt hard, I dont think..

Its how the thing works that is hard to me. If I understand how something works, then I can tear it down and not have a problem putting it back together. Not understand how the dam thing works is whats beating me up right now.. :wall

past the part about having this conversation again, I got no idea where any of that came from? :confused:

DuallyVette
12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
My point was: With a rebuilt transmission. The parts that appear to be damaged are replaced. Some builders may not want to put too many new parts in the rebuild, or they may easily miss something. I've heard other make the comment that they would rather spend big money on a brand new transmission, than a 1/3 of that money on a transmission that will probably barely make it out of the warranty. It's also time consuming and expensive to have your car or truck going back & forth to the repair shop.

Perhaps you gan give us an idea, of what a transmission rebuild costs...and maybe, if you know the cost for the same transmission Brand New in the box.

Junior M
12-26-2009, 06:21 PM
My point was: With a rebuilt transmission. The parts that appear to be damaged are replaced. Some builders may not want to put too many new parts in the rebuild, or they may easily miss something. I've heard other make the comment that they would rather spend big money on a brand new transmission, than a 1/3 of that money on a transmission that will probably barely make it out of the warranty. It's also time consuming and expensive to have your car or truck going back & forth to the repair shop.

Perhaps you gan give us an idea, of what a transmission rebuild costs...and maybe, if you know the cost for the same transmission Brand New in the box.
We deal in selling used parts, but I'll find out both the costs. Any certain tranny?

And probably barely make it out of warranty? I got a tranny he built in my truck, no problems. Another guy has one in his F350, no problems. And he pulls a trailer across the country showing a bike for Eaton rearends.

Like I said no one is perfect and every builder is going to have a problem with a tranny, no matter how good they are. I am sure AWJ can vouch for that.

DuallyVette
12-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm sure that you'll have many satisfied customers. You said yourself that some problems hide pretty good, and the problem isn't always obviously. Its just a crap shoot...to a small degree, at least. I would rather have a new tranny, unless I wanted to fix an old car, and then get rid of it.

I mean you no disrespect, and wish you well.

Junior M
12-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm sure that you'll have many satisfied customers. You said yourself that some problems hide pretty good, and the problem isn't always obviously. Its just a crap shoot...to a small degree, at least. I would rather have a new tranny, unless I wanted to fix an old car, and then get rid of it.

I mean you no disrespect, and wish you well.
Yeah, but you totally missed the part where these problems pop up immediatley and are fixed before the car is sent out..

AWJ Services
12-26-2009, 08:02 PM
I dont see whats so funny?

when I said it wasnt hard, the work isnt hard, I dont think..

Its how the thing works that is hard to me. If I understand how something works, then I can tear it down and not have a problem putting it back together. Not understand how the dam thing works is whats beating me up right now.. :wall

past the part about having this conversation again, I got no idea where any of that came from? :confused:

If you stay in that buisness for an extended length of time you will understand why I said this. The most menial tasks will sometimes become impossible. What should be impossible will become an everyday occurence.
The good thing about the that industry is it is all about turning out work. Most jobs are Commision related and hardworkers are rewarded.
A good Auto tech, Trans R&R guy, or trans Builder can make 100k a year.

Oh and there is a reason that the 4l60 has a poor 1-2 shift and it is not from grease.

Junior M
12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
If you stay in that buisness for an extended length of time you will understand why I said this. The most menial tasks will sometimes become impossible. What should be impossible will become an everyday occurence.
The good thing about the that industry is it is all about turning out work. Most jobs are Commision related and hardworkers are rewarded.
A good Auto tech, Trans R&R guy, or trans Builder can make 100k a year.

Oh and there is a reason that the 4l60 has a poor 1-2 shift and it is not from grease.
it wasnt 1-2. it was 2-3.

And that was discovered in the first half mile, he said it might just sticking from all the build up of grease and thick oil used in building.. He wanted it driven for quite a few miles to see if it would drive out of it..

And I think I am understanding what you are trying to say? :confused: