PDA

View Full Version : OTT Skid Steer tracks with Rubber Pads

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 10:47 AM
As the title implies.. I'm look at OTT tracks for my Bobcat. I used to run Loegering trailblazers. They were okay and I used the heck out of them for many years but they were rough on the asphalt and ground in general.
I have been looking at the McLaren hybrid tracks that have the rubber pads over the steel.
Has anyone had any experience with these? My machine, with tracks, would be narrower than a dedicated VTS and probably easier to take on and off and would be less weight which is a concern for me.

Any thoughts on these types of tracks. Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than Mclaren?

Thanks!!!

MackCat
12-19-2009, 11:09 AM
As the title implies.. I'm look at OTT tracks for my Bobcat. I used to run Loegering trailblazers. They were okay and I used the heck out of them for many years but they were rough on the asphalt and ground in general.
I have been looking at the McLaren hybrid tracks that have the rubber pads over the steel.
Has anyone had any experience with these? My machine, with tracks, would be narrower than a dedicated VTS and probably easier to take on and off and would be less weight which is a concern for me.

Any thoughts on these types of tracks. Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than Mclaren?

Thanks!!!
I sold a Skid steer loader to a friend of mine and he got a set of the Mclaren tracks with the rubber pads. He really likes them, but he is extremly rough on them and the Machine. I think they have held up well considering the Hell he has put them through. He does alot of heavy digging with the machine and often tears the rubber pads off, But there is a steel plate still there and it makes the machine ride rough as hell till he replaces the rubber pad, which he says is kind of expensive. He would not have anything else because he drives over driveways and roads all the time. I think they would work good for someone like you, who takes good care of their machine and wouldn`t just tear the hell out of them.

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I sold a Skid steer loader to a friend of mine and he got a set of the Mclaren tracks with the rubber pads. He really likes them, but he is extremly rough on them and the Machine. I think they have held up well considering the Hell he has put them through. He does alot of heavy digging with the machine and often tears the rubber pads off, But there is a steel plate still there and it makes the machine ride rough as hell till he replaces the rubber pad, which he says is kind of expensive. He would not have anything else because he drives over driveways and roads all the time. I think they would work good for someone like you, who takes good care of their machine and wouldn`t just tear the hell out of them.

I had another set a few years back (grouser brand?) and it too had pads over the steel but the pads were iron. The grade 8 bolts broke and I lost pads often using an s250. It would be a major concern if I had to replace pads often given the time and expense. I'm sure those little pads aren't cheap.

A few years ago I remember my Bobcat dealer showing me a urethane pad. It was intriguing. Looked slick as hell, as in, slick like grease through a goose, but they were very hard and designed to wear down evenly. They reminded me of some similar pads I had seen for an excavator. They, too, were designed to use over improved services and I thought the slickness would work well on asphalt. Have you seen the "magic movers" for furniture. Same material, I think.

ksss
12-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Yellow it seems that your work is primarily in rural areas (at least from the photos) do you need the rubber pads?

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Yellow it seems that your work is primarily in rural areas (at least from the photos) do you need the rubber pads?

Yes and no. I work in diverse terrain. Some rock, some dirt, some jagged rock, and some very soft. yesterday, I worked on a ranch that had over 1.2 miles of asphalt road just going from front to back. I work on a few of those throughout the year but this particular ranch gets me out 1x to 2x a month or at least every other month.
I nearly flipped my machine crawling up a slick hill yesterday..scared the living hell out of me. Too much weight in the rear of the s330 with all my counterweights removed!

My older Loegerings (circa 1999) were a P.I.T.A to take on and off.
I looked closely at VTS. My machine would be about 83" wide?? That's a huge bucket and I don't think I would fit on my trailer.
I am upside down in the S330 with all my mods, so it doesn't make much sense to go straight to a CTL plus having 2 speed on that ranch yesterday was nice..

For those of you that run modern OTT tracks, how fast do they come on and off. I have a compressor on the truck to run impact wrench.. if that helps.

Nothing is ever easy for me since I do so many things. This is precisely why I used to run two identical machines except that one had tracks. If I needed the tires for asphalt, that's what I took.

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I ran Grousers OTT on a NH 170 and then Loegering OTT on the Case 440, I personally thought the Loegering were easier to take on and off. The Loegering had that strap thingy was nice. I did drive over some blacktop and concrete - very carefully and tried not to turn, I didn't leave too bad of marks. I tried a set of those poly tracks on the 440 and completely destroyed them, they are junk and thought they marked up hard surfaces just as much.

As for the VTS, their measurements I think are suspect. There is suppose to be different sprockets to help with the width but weather that would help on your machine I don't know. I really get upset that Loegering has not understood and addressed the width issue as it is a real problem. The weight would probably hurt but help you too. If Shane can run the VTS in all the that rock I would think you could run them there?

NEUSWEDE
12-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I had the ones your talking about before I had my VTS. Weren't bad but I was contrantly tightening them and they wore my tires really bad. Besides that they worked really well let me go a lot of places you cant go with tires. Float in mudding conditions were pretty well. I would suggest them if your in an application where you are switching between tracks and tires a lot.

ksss
12-19-2009, 03:54 PM
I have the TrailBlazers as well. I don't use them a lot but I will be next Spring. I agree with that ratchet contraption that putting them on was not too bad. The floatation and traction is amazing.

My bucket overhangs on my Towmaster, not a game breaker.

Depending on how most of your work is laid out on these ranches you might invest in some of those Poly mats that you see advertised. Lay it over asphalt or concrete where you need to cross the road at.

I ran those trail blazers on asphalt ONCE. What a mess.

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Depending on how most of your work is laid out on these ranches you might invest in some of those Poly mats that you see advertised. Lay it over asphalt or concrete where you need to cross the road at.

didn't I tell you I was lazy? I used to lay out the plywood to cross the asphalt driveways and got sick of doing that. I also didn't like the clanking and the ground disturbance when turning but traction was pretty cool. I didn't have much luck in wet or mud with trailblazers, though, and have had my machines buried a few times. I didn't do too well on driveways either..which leads me right back to the question of, should I just get a dedicated CTL??

Pros:
traction all season
can work slopes more effectively
can work over improved surfaces
can finish out base driveways
total machine width only 80"
additional weight over what I have now only 500 lbs
additional push force for pushing base or excavating
no flat tires, ever (but I have only had one nail hole in 1000 hours on hulks

Cons:

initial cost and the fact that I will take a hit on whatever I sell right now
cuts my top speed in half
maintenance cost for undercarriage
extra weight and width
vibration
won't have the worry the "will I get a flat down in this creek?" :)
what else am I missing here?

MackCat
12-19-2009, 07:21 PM
didn't I tell you I was lazy? I used to lay out the plywood to cross the asphalt driveways and got sick of doing that. I also didn't like the clanking and the ground disturbance when turning but traction was pretty cool. I didn't have much luck in wet or mud with trailblazers, though, and have had my machines buried a few times. I didn't do too well on driveways either..which leads me right back to the question of, should I just get a dedicated CTL??

Pros:
traction all season
can work slopes more effectively
can work over improved surfaces
can finish out base driveways
total machine width only 80"
additional weight over what I have now only 500 lbs
additional push force for pushing base or excavating
no flat tires, ever (but I have only had one nail hole in 1000 hours on hulks

Cons:

initial cost and the fact that I will take a hit on whatever I sell right now
cuts my top speed in half
maintenance cost for undercarriage
extra weight and width
vibration
won't have the worry the "will I get a flat down in this creek?" :)
what else am I missing here?
I have both, wheeled skid steer and my CAT 297C. I really love both machines But the wheeled skid sits most of the time. The ride is just so much better in the CAT plus it`s unstoppable in the MUD which we have had plenty of lately. I mainly use the wheeled skid on asphalt or where i need a narrower machine width.

MOREDIRT
12-19-2009, 07:39 PM
A ctl will move more material faster by filling the bucket faster saving fuel and time.

Lift more
push more
back drag more

I have both types of machines I never use my wheeled one even if the job is on concrete. If you are off road at all a wheeled machine is useless and you are cheating yourself when you could have a ctl and be a lot more productive.

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 07:42 PM
A ctl will move more material faster by filling the bucket faster saving fuel and time.

Lift more
push more
back drag more

I have both types of machines I never use my wheeled one even if the job is on concrete. If you are off road at all a wheeled machine is useless and you are cheating yourself when you could have a ctl and be a lot more productive.

i'm hung up on the 2 speed thing. I went 12 years with single speed. I have had 2 speed for just over a year and got spoiled.. that's why VTS appeals to me but the width and weight is an issue. Nothing is simple in my world. dang it. I wish my excavator was faster! I'd throw a shear on it tomorrow.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-19-2009, 07:57 PM
what ctl machines are you looking at that you cant get 2speed?

Gravel Rat
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
If your going to be running through the bush and over rough terrian wouldn't steel tracks provide more traction.

Another thing you have to think about is the small tree stubs they are tough on tires if you hit one from the side. Also what happens when you get a tree branch that decides to get jammed between the tire and the tracks ?

In my mind a excavator works better when working in the bush because you can push yourself over obstacles.

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 09:53 PM
i'm hung up on the 2 speed thing. I went 12 years with single speed. I have had 2 speed for just over a year and got spoiled.. that's why VTS appeals to me but the width and weight is an issue. Nothing is simple in my world. dang it. I wish my excavator was faster! I'd throw a shear on it tomorrow.

Sometimes it is difficult to pick the right option. I'm struggling with the small skid idea right now.

YellowDogSVC
12-19-2009, 10:21 PM
what ctl machines are you looking at that you cant get 2speed?

Bobcat T320.

Duffster
12-19-2009, 10:49 PM
For those of you that run modern OTT tracks, how fast do they come on and off. I have a compressor on the truck to run impact wrench.. if that helps.

Off in minutes.

On in about 20 once you know what you are doing.

I too have been giving some serious consideration to the rubber padded OTT.

Duffster
12-19-2009, 10:52 PM

Lift more
push more
back drag more

Even compared to a machine with OTT's?

goatboy67
12-20-2009, 12:00 AM
I have had the Mclaren's for over a year on my Case 60XT with 12x16.5 tires and have not removed them...there is really no reason to.

They perform well in dry and mud conditions although lateral sliding is still an issue in the slick mud. Forward/Rear movement is sufficient in heavy mud.

We are general contractors so the machine sees a variety of terrain and they are quite durable. I have only destroyed 1 pad and that was due to an operator counter rotating on coarse asphalt.

They probably take a half hour to put on because they are extremely heavy and awkward.

Ask whatever questions you can think of...

Dante

YellowDogSVC
12-20-2009, 12:06 AM
I have had the Mclaren's for over a year on my Case 60XT with 12x16.5 tires and have not removed them...there is really no reason to.

Ask whatever questions you can think of...

Dante

Dante,
I work in a lot of rock. I'm gentle and generally get 1500 -2000 hours out of a set of hulk tires.

I don't mind the pads chunking but have you had them tear off or break away from the tracks?

goatboy67
12-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I have had 1 rubber pad tear off. The pads are simple to replace (under 5 min) and I had 6 extra pads with the tracks. I think pads are $60. I have a small amount of chunking and most of it occurs when doing concrete demo. If you get 1500 out of a set of tires you should be fine with these tracks. Some of the guys do a lot of counter rotating and this is what causes the most damage.