PDA

View Full Version : Let it snow!!

mrsops
12-19-2009, 03:10 PM
Blizzard warning in affect for tonight there saying we can get up 18''. I will take a bunch of pics tonight or tomorrow when it stops.. It just started to come down now. Snapped a few pics earlier today, already got the spreader loaded and tucked away in the shop with the t190.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 03:12 PM
A few more pics.. Got the snow buckets all ready to go. Also a long shot of the yard..

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 03:15 PM
You need bigger plows for those skids Sops.:)

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 03:18 PM
The Takkie dealer has trucks set up just like your International. I am more and more liking International.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 03:18 PM
You need bigger plows for those skids Sops.:)

If this snow is heavy like there saying plows arent gonna do nothing. I got a few front end loaders making passes first

mrsops
12-19-2009, 03:23 PM
The Takkie dealer has trucks set up just like your International. I am more and more liking International.

Stuve the international is a nice truck i had a few little problems with it but nothing crazy. Its got an awesome air ride seat it in. I hate the dam mirrors thou there always shaking all over the place. My ford dumps i feel are built heavier but you feel like your in a truck when your in the international.. Best truck we have i must say is the f-650 with the contractor bed that truck can take a beating

NEUSWEDE
12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Good luck we are dodging the bullet up here in Maine as they are only calling for 1-3"

mrsops
12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Good luck we are dodging the bullet up here in Maine as they are only calling for 1-3"

Wow its probably just missing you.

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, you just can't beat a wheel loader in snow plowing. I love plowing with the skid but when you get too much snow the skid can be a little helpless.

I would say the same thing about the Kodiak, it is no frills. Once I get a 550 I would really think about getting a International low pro with a 12' contractors box, I think it could handle pulling a mini and skid but still get in tight areas. For the next year I think I'm keeping the Kodiak until I really need a tri, I am looking for a steerable air lift to get more capacity on the Kodiak.

You working on a bigger dump truck yet?

mrsops
12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, you just can't beat a wheel loader in snow plowing. I love plowing with the skid but when you get too much snow the skid can be a little helpless.

I would say the same thing about the Kodiak, it is no frills. Once I get a 550 I would really think about getting a International low pro with a 12' contractors box, I think it could handle pulling a mini and skid but still get in tight areas. For the next year I think I'm keeping the Kodiak until I really need a tri, I am looking for a steerable air lift to get more capacity on the Kodiak.

You working on a bigger dump truck yet?

Been working on the bigger truck for a while .. Had a good price on a 2008 volvo left over 120,000 and it was an automatic just what i was looking for. Also got a good price on a mack.. Hopefully we can pull the trigger some time next year when we start going full blast all over again.. Stuve my hook lift truck the ford f-750 that was suppose to be an international but they wanted 5,000 more and they wouldnt match fords price so we went with the ford

Dountman
12-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Is that magic salt you're using mrsops?

mudmaker
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Have fun out there! Wish we were getting some here!!

mrsops
12-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Is that magic salt you're using mrsops?

Casper what do you mean by magic salt?

Dountman
12-19-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.magicsalt.info

We are going to start trying it on this storm. We usually use sand/salt but are giving this a shot. Was wondering if you were using and had any input on it.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.magicsalt.info

We are going to start trying it on this storm. We usually use sand/salt but are giving this a shot. Was wondering if you were using and had any input on it.

Casper no i never used that stuff but it looks interesting.. Let me know how you like it.

Dountman
12-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Absolutely. Enjoy the snow tonight.

NEUSWEDE
12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Magic salt is great stuff. I use it on all my walkways. A buddy of mine runs the company who is the local distruibtor and the stuff is superior to plain rock salt. Big money savings as well.

ksss
12-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Have fun out there! Wish we were getting some here!!

Yea we are kinda getting left out.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 04:25 PM
How is magic salt on asphalt??

NEUSWEDE
12-19-2009, 04:34 PM

doesn't leave that white residue and it tracks around, so in a heavy traffic application like a mini mall you can do an application at the entrances or the major road leading through the lot and let the vehicles track it around the parking lot instead of applying to all areas which reduces the amount you put down. It is also affective to lower temperature to decrease refreeze and will even leave a residual to help for the next storm.

Also it looks like you got the good rock salt. We have 2 vendors up here for rock salt, one is like pebbles and the other from international is tiny looks like it was ground up. I bought the pebble style.

stuvecorp
12-19-2009, 04:39 PM

From what I've been told on it the 'magic' part lessens the corrosive affects of the salt and lowers the ability to be affective. Another benefit is not being so hard on the spreaders. You are also suppose to be able to use much less product and get the same results. I've researched it and if I would have stayed in probably would be using it now. You can treat salt or sand depending on what your clients demand. There are some other brands or versions of it out there also.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 04:41 PM
From what I've been told on it the 'magic' part lessens the corrosive affects of the salt and lowers the ability to be affective. Another benefit is not being so hard on the spreaders. You are also suppose to be able to use much less product and get the same results. I've researched it and if I would have stayed in probably would be using it now. You can treat salt or sand depending on what your clients demand. There are some other brands or versions of it out there also.

Im gonna have to check into this stuff.

Twitchy
12-19-2009, 05:35 PM
The wind is going to be a major factor tonight sops. I can't wait to see how big the snow drifts are going to be a the storage facilities that we plow. My brother is already out salting the parking lot entrances and exits so the don't compact and freeze over.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 05:46 PM
The wind is going to be a major factor tonight sops. I can't wait to see how big the snow drifts are going to be a the storage facilities that we plow. My brother is already out salting the parking lot entrances and exits so the don't compact and freeze over.

Yeah i know there changing things like crazy.. Now there saying 10-14 inches with 30 mph winds this should be fun

White Gardens
12-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I've got a question about the Magic Salt. Is that just Rock-Salt with a Beet-juice additive to it. ??

also mrsops, WE WANT PICS !!:laugh: So jealous right now, I would give anything to have a snow storm like that.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 06:15 PM
I've got a question about the Magic Salt. Is that just Rock-Salt with a Beet-juice additive to it. ??

also mrsops, WE WANT PICS !!:laugh: So jealous right now, I would give anything to have a snow storm like that.

I will take some tommorow.. Gonna be a long few days if where getting this much snow

AEL
12-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Man do you ever keep your equipment looking good!

NEUSWEDE
12-19-2009, 06:40 PM

It is rock salt treated with a liquid that is a by product of vodka from what I have been told. The beet juice is another type of treatment along the same lines.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Man do you ever keep your equipment looking good!

Thanks tss

kreft
12-19-2009, 08:07 PM
we got 0ver 20 inches here sops! Its been non stop. gonna be a another long day tommorrow. been sayin 3 inches every hour.

mrsops
12-19-2009, 08:11 PM
we got 0ver 20 inches here sops! Its been non stop. gonna be a another long day tommorrow. been sayin 3 inches every hour.

Kreft where you been??

kreft
12-19-2009, 08:19 PM
seinor year of high school man, livin it up!

mrsops
12-19-2009, 08:20 PM
seinor year of high school man, livin it up!

Good for you man.. Enjoy!!

kreft
12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks man!

So What kind of places do you plow?

mrsops
12-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks man!

So What kind of places do you plow?

Mostly commercial.. 4 big shopping centers, 2 post offices, 2 high schools, a storage keeper, Few strip malls, and a few more things

kreft
12-19-2009, 08:29 PM
wow. How big of a fleet of loaders fo you have?

mrsops
12-19-2009, 08:37 PM
wow. How big of a fleet of loaders fo you have?

For this Storm there's gonna be more then usual lol so i will take pics.

Dirtman2007
12-19-2009, 08:40 PM
I was looking forward to plowing snow with my takkie today but once again the weather guys were all wrong... all rain:dizzy:

WillieWonka1850
12-19-2009, 08:50 PM
18" of snow?! Aw, screw you sops!! :realmad: :laugh: :laugh:

We've been getting some light snow here, about 2 1/2 inches so far.

I hope we get a big storm Sunday night so I won't have school Monday and Tuesday :cool2:

Bleed Green
12-20-2009, 02:38 AM
18" of snow?! Aw, screw you sops!! :realmad: :laugh: :laugh:

We've been getting some light snow here, about 2 1/2 inches so far.

I hope we get a big storm Sunday night so I won't have school Monday and Tuesday :cool2:

Youre not out for Christmas Break yet?

Ground Effects NH
12-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah i know there changing things like crazy.. Now there saying 10-14 inches with 30 mph winds this should be fun

sops looking forward to your photos. I am a hour north of Boston as of 9 am not even a snow flake, Looks like a total miss for us :cry:

WillieWonka1850
12-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Youre not out for Christmas Break yet?
Nope their making use go 2 extra days before Christmas break so my break starts on the 23rd :wall :realmad:

Plus in June we don't get out till the 16th! :wall :wall :realmad: :realmad:

Were only required to go 180 days, but were going 185?! Why?! :wall :wall

Ozz
12-20-2009, 01:22 PM
Nope their making use go 2 extra days before Christmas break so my break starts on the 23rd :wall :realmad:

Plus in June we don't get out till the 16th! :wall :wall :realmad: :realmad:

Were only required to go 180 days, but were going 185?! Why?! :wall :wall

Dam Will, my break started yesterday.

ClearViewGroup
12-20-2009, 01:34 PM
we ended up with about 8 inches here....just west of us out around charlottesville they got over 40inches

SellingIron
12-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Went to PA for Christmas and look what I got to do. Drive a 2300 with a angle blade. This thing worked really well. I was shocked how it could push the snow and had plenty of traction..We got around 16" of snow...Cold weather sucks!!!!!!!!!

mrsops
12-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Well just got in been plowing since 1am.. Going back out in about an hour. We got about 12-13 inches there saying.. Total nightmare since 2:30am i didnt take many pics at all because i was so dam aggravated with everything going on.. My f-650 with my spreader on the back went down Brake lines.. My superduty with the spreader the starter went.. My gmc 3500 the water pump went. 2 plows broke, my abs light is on. My s330 got stuck what else let me see o yeah this was the best putting the machine on the trailer it slid off because there was a sheet of ice on the wood it was hanging off the trailer i had to chain it up and pull it back on with my other machine.

mudmaker
12-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Well just got in been plowing since 1am.. Going back out in about an hour. We got about 12-13 inches there saying.. Total nightmare since 2:30am i didnt take many pics at all because i was so dam aggravated with everything going on.. My f-650 with my spreader on the back went down Brake lines.. My superduty with the spreader the starter went.. My gmc 3500 the water pump went. 2 plows broke, my abs light is on. My s330 got stuck what else let me see o yeah this was the best putting the machine on the trailer it slid off because there was a sheet of ice on the wood it was hanging off the trailer i had to chain it up and pull it back on with my other machine.

That sounds like a long night!! Hope it goes better for you on the second round.

ioilyouin
12-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Sops luck make me glad I don't push anymore.

Gravel Rat
12-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Don't you love it when things start to snow ball :laugh:

It never fails when you need something the most it breaks down. The only people that plow snow around here is the highways maintenance contractor.

Dountman
12-21-2009, 02:31 AM
19.4 Inches for us. At the end of the night 2 of the 7 sanders were working along with multiple other pieces of equipment down. Storm of breakdowns...

coopers
12-21-2009, 11:34 AM
wow, sounds like JP's luck blew in with the storm and hit you! Bummer. Hope everything goes better.

Twitchy
12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
That sucks sops, sorry to hear that you had that many break downs. We did 17 hrs, my brother was out even later sanding the commercial lots. We got 20+'' out here in Suffolk, drifts were 4-5' in some areas. It was crazy and sucked at the same time. I'll post pics on a different thread.

ProTouch Groundscapes
12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
wow, i dont know if i should say we are lucky or not. That storm dumping everything on you just missed us here in Cleveland. We only got about 1". We havent had any plowable events yet this season where as last year we did 5 in November and 2 in December. We are getting antsy as all we have done is clear a lot that had 1/2" and go through a light coat of salt down this afternoon.

last year our per push clients paid more than the seasonals and so almost everyone switched to seasonal this year and it looks like we are sitting pretty so far lol.

hope all you guys are being safe out there, nothing more frustrating than that constant snow where you have to start all over again after you finished the route.

mrsops
12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
That sucks sops, sorry to hear that you had that many break downs. We did 17 hrs, my brother was out even later sanding the commercial lots. We got 20+'' out here in Suffolk, drifts were 4-5' in some areas. It was crazy and sucked at the same time. I'll post pics on a different thread.

WOW 20'' good for you twitch man!!

mrsops
12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Today Everything went a little better. We were trucking snow out of shopping centers and a storage facility we do.. Forgot my camera down my office in my shop but i will post them tommorow..

Only one problem today, 2 pieces of wood on my trailer snaped :cry:

Ground Effects NH
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Today Everything went a little better. We were trucking snow out of shopping centers and a storage facility we do.. Forgot my camera down my office in my shop but i will post them tommorow..

Only one problem today, 2 pieces of wood on my trailer snaped :cry:

It always seems that the first Big snow event all the problems show themselves. Are first big snow the local part store was packed with plow trucks.

mrsops
12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Few more pics for you guys..

AEL
12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Loving the s330! Ours is by far my favourite skid steer ever.

mrsops
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Loving the s330! Ours is by far my favourite skid steer ever.

Yeah everyone loves the s330 over here. There's always a fight on who gets to operate it :laugh:

Gravel Rat
12-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Do you ever have troubles with people parking in the way they say oh we will only be a minute they are gone for half an hour

mrsops
12-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Do you ever have troubles with people parking in the way they say oh we will only be a minute they are gone for half an hour

All the time, you should see what people do its unreal.. The best is when someone came over to me in a big shoping center we plow and said that when i was plowing the walk ways with my bobcat my plow hit his bumper. Best part was we dont plow the walk ways :rolleyes: caught him in a big fat lie :laugh:

Gravel Rat
12-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I think you would have to watch out behind you a second before there wasn't a vehical there then some moron parks behind a moving machine.

mudmaker
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
What drives me nuts is when 1/2 a lot is clear and people park where you havent plowed yet!!

coopers
12-23-2009, 02:47 AM
All the time, you should see what people do its unreal.. The best is when someone came over to me in a big shoping center we plow and said that when i was plowing the walk ways with my bobcat my plow hit his bumper. Best part was we dont plow the walk ways :rolleyes: caught him in a big fat lie :laugh:

That's messed up!

KrayzKajun
12-23-2009, 01:59 PM
wow! you can keep all the snow!