PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu FSR...Am I crazy!!!!!!!!!!

johnnybravo8802
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Ok, let me get some opinions. I have been looking into getting another truck in the spring and can't decide which way to go. If I go with a pick-up, I'd like to go with a 1 1/2 ton-2 ton truck. I've heard nothing good about the Ford 6.4 and the Dodge is too expensive-hasn't been out too long(I'm just not going to pay $45,000 for a truck). I use 2 large Scags and would like to shoot for a 3rd. for my final mower. The problem is that I need a truck that's 24-26' long to haul all of that. The NPR/NQR only goes up to 20'. I'd really like to get out of the truck/trailer thing and get into a single truck where everything is all in one place. I have seen some really good prices on the NSR but wonder if I'd look completely ridiculous(More than usual:laugh:)pulling up in that size truck?:confused:I don't think it would look any worse than a Chevy 4500/5500 on a job. I also wonder if I could get the truck on all of my jobs? I'd like to get an open landscaping body for it if I do this. What do you guys think?

Drew Gemma
12-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I like you have been studying the Isuzu NQR. Can't you turn a mower to fit them on a 20 body. We are going to add a debris system and 14 ft box if I can find one ?

Only you will know what will work for you.

johnnybravo8802
12-19-2009, 11:36 PM
I like you have been studying the Isuzu NQR. Can't you turn a mower to fit them on a 20 body. We are going to add a debris system and 14 ft box if I can find one ?

Only you will know what will work for you.
Yea, I may be able to do that and I have thought of that. As far as the FSR, or any truck that size, they may only come in a stick and may use the heck out of some fuel. I may be running into some high maintenance costs as well. I could be barking up the wrong tree-I don't know. I sure wouldn't want to end up with a pig and a poke. I tend to get obsessed before I make a purchase but I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

Caterkillar
12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I think all you need is an NPR for maintenance. I have an FRR and NPRs, but the FRR is overkill for maintenance. An 20' NPR will easily hold two Tigers. The maintenance costs really are not that bad. We do all of our own maintenance and tire changes, so it is not any more than any other type of diesel truck. I think they all come in auto or manual. Figure on 10-12mpg.

Why would you want a third mower on one crew?

I would buy a used Isuzu.

MikeKle
12-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I think you should look at a Freightliner FL-50 or FL-70. They seem to be pretty good medium duty trucks,and not that pricey.

johnnybravo8802
12-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I think all you need is an NPR for maintenance. I have an FRR and NPRs, but the FRR is overkill for maintenance. An 20' NPR will easily hold two Tigers. The maintenance costs really are not that bad. We do all of our own maintenance and tire changes, so it is not any more than any other type of diesel truck. I think they all come in auto or manual. Figure on 10-12mpg.

Why would you want a third mower on one crew?

I would buy a used Isuzu.
Yea, you're probably right. I was thinking of a third mower because I want to keep my business small and down to only one truck. I mow some really large properties and was wanting to get all of my equipment on one truck. However, I can't come pulling up in all of my drives in a moving van, either.:dizzy:I may have to step back and go with a truck and two mowers. I looked at a used Isuzu yesterday with an 18' box and it would be perfect. Of course, as my luck would have it, they can't finance like I need. This was an 07' with diesel, side door, auto, power doors/locks, all new tires, 47,000 miles, for $22,500. That is a great deal!!!!!!!:clapping:Naturally, they couldn't make it work financially and I don't have any money saved yet.:cry:

Caterkillar
12-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Yea, you're probably right. I was thinking of a third mower because I want to keep my business small and down to only one truck. I mow some really large properties and was wanting to get all of my equipment on one truck. However, I can't come pulling up in all of my drives in a moving van, either.:dizzy:I may have to step back and go with a truck and two mowers. I looked at a used Isuzu yesterday with an 18' box and it would be perfect. Of course, as my luck would have it, they can't finance like I need. This was an 07' with diesel, side door, auto, power doors/locks, all new tires, 47,000 miles, for $22,500. That is a great deal!!!!!!!:clapping:Naturally, they couldn't make it work financially and I don't have any money saved yet.:cry:

I think you can do better than that. Look in ATL for a used truck on craigslist. I think you could get a low mileage 02-04 for 10-12k. Not as sexy as the new ones, but I wouldn't want to spend 22k for a work truck that is just going to get the snot beat out of it.

I bought an '01 NPR gasser with a burrito box w/ 65k miles for $6500 earlier this year when I started another crew.

lawn king
12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Look at the isuzu NQR.

johnnybravo8802
12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Look at the isuzu NQR.
I've had an Isuzu NPR with a 16' box in the past. The problem is that the WB of the Isuzu won't allow more than 20', including the dovetail-this is for the NPR and the NQR. I think you have to step up in truck size to get a 24' bed. I was told that maintenance costs really climb when you do that.

MikeKle
12-24-2009, 07:26 PM
I am curious why you say they couldnt finance the Isuzu you found? When I was truck shopping, it didnt matter what kind of truck it was to the credit union I went thru. Although the price had to be within the blue book loan value for the truck. You can definitely find a better truck for that kind of money.

Drew Gemma
12-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I still think the NQR is the way to go!

johnnybravo8802
12-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I am curious why you say they couldnt finance the Isuzu you found? When I was truck shopping, it didnt matter what kind of truck it was to the credit union I went thru. Although the price had to be within the blue book loan value for the truck. You can definitely find a better truck for that kind of money.
I sort of thought it was a good deal.:confused:I don't really think they wanted to sell a truck too bad. If a dealer wants to sell a truck, especially in this economy, they'll make it happen. He gave me this spill that their finance company wouldn't deal anymore with commercial vehicles and that others would only go 36 mos. on used commercial vehicles.

johnnybravo8802
12-24-2009, 10:13 PM
I still think the NQR is the way to go!
Yea, but I don't think you can go over 20' with one.

Drew Gemma
12-24-2009, 11:16 PM
How amny mowers what size and such Lets see what you need for room!

johnnybravo8802
12-25-2009, 12:49 AM
How amny mowers what size and such Lets see what you need for room!
I have a Scag TT 61" and a STT 72" and they completely fill up a 16' trailer. One machine is 8' long and the other is 9' long. I was considering rounding out with another Scag 61" or 72" and carrying all three at one time.

Hanau
12-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Think vertical. A ZTR is not that tall. Get a sheet of graph paper and design a bed where you can put 2 mowers at the front of the body. One on top of the other.

You could have a hinged shelf. Drive the bottom mower in place, drop the shelf, and use ramps to get the second mower on top of it.

Or have a elevating deck. Drive the top ZTR on first, fire up some hydraulics, lift the deck, and then load the bottom one.

Get creative. In most states you can be 13 feet tall without an overheight permit.

As far as being top heavy, look at a car hauler. They carry 4 or five pick up trucks on top without tipping over.

If you get creative rather than have a 24' long truck to haul everything on a single plane you might be able to get away with a 16' truck. PTO powered hydraulics are a beautiful thing.

johnnybravo8802
12-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Think vertical. A ZTR is not that tall. Get a sheet of graph paper and design a bed where you can put 2 mowers at the front of the body. One on top of the other.

You could have a hinged shelf. Drive the bottom mower in place, drop the shelf, and use ramps to get the second mower on top of it.

Or have a elevating deck. Drive the top ZTR on first, fire up some hydraulics, lift the deck, and then load the bottom one.

Get creative. In most states you can be 13 feet tall without an overheight permit.

As far as being top heavy, look at a car hauler. They carry 4 or five pick up trucks on top without tipping over.

If you get creative rather than have a 24' long truck to haul everything on a single plane you might be able to get away with a 16' truck. PTO powered hydraulics are a beautiful thing.
:confused::confused::confused:I have never heard of that. I couldn't even begin to imagine that.

Caterkillar
12-25-2009, 10:53 AM
How many guys per crew will you run with 3 mowers? I would think you would need at least 5?

How big are your accounts? How long do they take? How many will you need 3 mowers on? If you need three Tigers, you might need to start thinking about a WAM.

Hanau
12-25-2009, 04:03 PM
:confused::confused::confused:I have never heard of that. I couldn't even begin to imagine that.

Let me help you out with a visual. For a given length which carries more?

This:

Or this:

By thinking vertically you can carry more with less overall length. If you wanted to only carry 40 passengers in a double decker bus then the bus would only have to be half as long.

Caterkillar
12-25-2009, 10:38 PM
No thanks!! NPR box trucks feel a little tipsy with a slight wind much less stacked mowers.

Hanau
12-25-2009, 10:41 PM
He's talking about an open bed. A ZTR has much less sail area than a box.

johnnybravo8802
12-27-2009, 07:51 PM
How many guys per crew will you run with 3 mowers? I would think you would need at least 5?

How big are your accounts? How long do they take? How many will you need 3 mowers on? If you need three Tigers, you might need to start thinking about a WAM.
Yea, when I run all three, which won't be all the time, I'll need 5 people. I am planning on mowing both 30 acre jobs in the same day-I want to be able to do large acreage properties in a quick fashion like nobody else.

JayD
01-21-2010, 12:26 AM

Wow....That is a good deal....what were the payments going to be.

ToroLandscaper
01-23-2010, 04:05 AM
I have a 22' or 24' bed on my Isuzu NPR, it works great, and would easily haul 3 turf tigers.

If my memory is correct it is 18' with 4' dovetail or 20' with 4' dovetail.

I had the bed custom made and welded just how I wanted it, works like a charm!

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I have a 22' or 24' bed on my Isuzu NPR, it works great, and would easily haul 3 turf tigers.

If my memory is correct it is 18' with 4' dovetail or 20' with 4' dovetail.

I had the bed custom made and welded just how I wanted it, works like a charm!
I've had several sources tell me that you absolutely could not go over 20' with an Isuzu NPR, including the dovetail. That's the only reason I had considered the larger truck. I'd rather stick to a smaller truck.

P.Services
01-23-2010, 09:23 AM
So now you need a crew cab truck also if you want a 5 person crew going out right?

I can put three tigers back to back in my enclosed and its a 20' so I don't know why you can't. The front wheels tuck up under the mower in front of it and then they are six feet long.

If you can't do it then I would run with the idea of going up with them. Just have a shelf the front mower drives up onto that's about two feet higher then the main deck. Then the second mower doesn't park all the way under the first, just the front wheels and deck fit under it.
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
01-23-2010, 09:26 AM
He's talking about an open bed. A ZTR has much less sail area than a box.

Amazing how you have to spoon feed grown adults on this site. "Ohhh dear I'm going to tip over with a 1200lb ztr raised a few feet, I think I just wet my panties on that last turn" come on grow a set.
Posted via Mobile Device

Caterkillar
01-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Amazing how you have to spoon feed grown adults on this site. "Ohhh dear I'm going to tip over with a 1200lb ztr raised a few feet, I think I just wet my panties on that last turn" come on grow a set.
Posted via Mobile Device

And you have a Isuzu NPR? I just thought it was a stupid idea. I understand your idea of only having a shelf two feet higher to save a foot or two, but having a double decker Isuzu NPR??? That is a little ridiculous, and just a little cost prohibitive with the hydraulics. I would not want that weight 6' off of the bed. Hell my FSR is a little hairy on some turns hauling my Cat skid. I get nervous when watching my guys take some turns.

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2010, 05:26 PM
So now you need a crew cab truck also if you want a 5 person crew going out right?

I can put three tigers back to back in my enclosed and its a 20' so I don't know why you can't. The front wheels tuck up under the mower in front of it and then they are six feet long.

If you can't do it then I would run with the idea of going up with them. Just have a shelf the front mower drives up onto that's about two feet higher then the main deck. Then the second mower doesn't park all the way under the first, just the front wheels and deck fit under it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure how you get three TT's on a 20' trailer when my two completely take up my 16' trailer-another ZTR would be a little longer than 4'.:confused:You can look at my rig in another thread and see that I have absolutely no more room on a 16' trailer than 2 mowers and that's with them stacked. I'm not sure about top heavy but it seems that every Isuzu dealer I've spoken to lately have frowned on the longer box truck in regards to it being top heavy. I had never thought about it and really don't understand why it would be a concern.

P.Services
01-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Open up wittle bawby, here comes the rocket ship of food
Umm nummm nummm nummm tasty tasty wittle bowy.

Did I say six feet up? No I said make a shelf two feet up just enough so the fron of the second mower can fit under it. That will give you a few extra feet of lenght. Scrap the hydro idea, just have two aluminum ramps the the mower goes up and then you flip the ramps up. This is a simple problem with a simple solution. Or I will just bet you my nuts three scags will fit on a 20' deck. Turn two sideways if you have to the decks are plenty wide for that. And I see them all the time with 20 decks and 4 foor tails so I don't see the problem in thar or a problem in running the third mower on backwards and letting the front casters ride on the beavertail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Caterkillar
01-23-2010, 05:59 PM
20' with a 4' dovetail would work. Isuzu NPR would be all that is necessary. I doubt you would a FSR on a maintenance crew.

johnnybravo8802
01-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Open up wittle bawby, here comes the rocket ship of food
Umm nummm nummm nummm tasty tasty wittle bowy.

Did I say six feet up? No I said make a shelf two feet up just enough so the fron of the second mower can fit under it. That will give you a few extra feet of lenght. Scrap the hydro idea, just have two aluminum ramps the the mower goes up and then you flip the ramps up. This is a simple problem with a simple solution. Or I will just bet you my nuts three scags will fit on a 20' deck. Turn two sideways if you have to the decks are plenty wide for that. And I see them all the time with 20 decks and 4 foor tails so I don't see the problem in thar or a problem in running the third mower on backwards and letting the front casters ride on the beavertail.
Posted via Mobile Device
Man, I'm not sure who you're responding to. I will bet you my left nu# that I know a little bit more about driving top heavy trucks than you. I have a Class A CDL, used to drive 18 wheelers for a living, drove boom trucks stacked to the crane loaded with 60,000# of sheet rock, and drove concrete trucks with 60,000# of concrete spinning above my head all while hanging the front end off a cliff and pouring down into a footer. There's nobody on this site who knows more about driving trucks than I do or can drive a truck like I do-I'll bet you my left nu# on that!!!!!! So when responding to a thread, know who you're responding to-They may be wearing bigger pants than you and with bigger........you know!!!!By the way, you won't get three TT's on a 20' trailer.:walking:

P.Services
01-24-2010, 12:42 AM
maybe you need to get different front forks on your mowers then, scag makes alot of different ones. the sabre tooth forks are huge compared to a normal tigers. i dont know what you have but i can assure you i have had three tigers butts to nuts in my trailer. i assure you of it.

i almost want to go rent another just to take a picture of it! i know 100% its a 20' trailer, i even looked at the title just now to check. I just dont know they fit in no problem.

johnnybravo8802
01-24-2010, 01:51 AM
maybe you need to get different front forks on your mowers then, scag makes alot of different ones. the sabre tooth forks are huge compared to a normal tigers. i dont know what you have but i can assure you i have had three tigers butts to nuts in my trailer. i assure you of it.

i almost want to go rent another just to take a picture of it! i know 100% its a 20' trailer, i even looked at the title just now to check. I just dont know they fit in no problem.
What do different front forks have to do with anything? There are no other options for forks-I have a 61" that's 8' long and a 72" that's 9' long(I measured both). You should look at my pictures with both sitting on my 16' trailer-the 72" STT has the front casters sitting on the 2' dovetail-the rearend of the STT is sitting inside the casters of the TT-you can't stack them any tighter. There's also no way to turn a machine that size sideways on a trailer like that. Go to the thread, Here's one for the Scag lover's and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ToroLandscaper
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
I've had several sources tell me that you absolutely could not go over 20' with an Isuzu NPR, including the dovetail. That's the only reason I had considered the larger truck. I'd rather stick to a smaller truck.

That is odd, no one ever told me that, and I have had no problems with mine. It hauls great and has the room that I desire.

I will measure mine sometime this week and get the exact measures.

ToroLandscaper
01-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Well I measured mine today, shorter then I believed. It is a total of 19' including the dovetail. I could have sworn the guy who fabricated it said it was 22' or 24'. Oh well, I have not had a need for more room yet so I can not really complain. As far as space, you would be able to fit 3 Tigers on mine, no doubt. It may be a tight fit, but I think it would definitely be possible.

johnnybravo8802
01-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Well I measured mine today, shorter then I believed. It is a total of 19' including the dovetail. I could have sworn the guy who fabricated it said it was 22' or 24'. Oh well, I have not had a need for more room yet so I can not really complain. As far as space, you would be able to fit 3 Tigers on mine, no doubt. It may be a tight fit, but I think it would definitely be possible.
I may have missed it but it sounds like you have an open truck. Yea, most of them are 19-20'.