PDA

View Full Version : Animal disturbing sod?

georgiagrass
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
We put out several pallets of sod for a client back in October. He called me last week and said that he thinks some animal has been turning over the corners and edges of the sod. I went by to see and, sure enough, numerous corners were peeled back 4-6 inches and a number of the edges were pulled up. One of my buddies suggested it might be moles, but there was no evidence of burrowing. I couldn't see any evidence of digging either. The property is surrounded by woods (oak trees) and there are a lot of acorns on the ground. Another buddy suggested a squirrel or a raccoon. Has anyone had any similar experience?

dKoester
12-21-2009, 05:00 AM
I don't know if its animals or maybe even the frost pushing up those corners. How cold has it been there? Got any pics?

georgiagrass
12-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't know if its animals or maybe even the frost pushing up those corners. How cold has it been there? Got any pics?

It hasn't been all that cold here so far. I know what you are talking about with the frost, but that's not it, something is pulling the sod up and flipping it over, mostly at the corners, but along the edges as well. In a few places, the corner of a roll of sod was flipped over (dirt side up) about 7-8 inches.

Think Green
12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Geogia,
Sounds like curious Raccoons to me!!
They are destructive little #@$#'s. You can offer to purchase and bait a live trap and set it out........................bet you will get a Raccoon!!!

DiyDave
12-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Might be 'coons, Might be skunks, looking for grubs. Sod farms most of the time don't treat for grubs, cause the sod is usually only in their care for 12-14 months, then they sell it. Grubs tend to like older turf, nothing particularly scientific, purely observational.

Lawnmax1
12-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I have seen corners of new sod turned back by deer at 1 of my customers lawns this year. Never have seen til then though. The hoof prints were evident in the moist soil. Is this possible down there?

Country Side Lawn Care
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
It could be skunks. Around here, they burrow little holes all over the place. Maybe one got smart enough around your way and digs up the corners. Like it was said before, get a live animal trap. Put some bread crust and peanut butter, mixed together in it. Raccoons and skunks both love it.

DiyDave
12-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Iff'n it is a skunk, cover the hav-a-hart trap with a ol piece of carpet, it'll keep him calm, and not too volatile. If it was my trap, I would soak whole trap in a 55 gallon drum full of water, skunk included! If it don't make him smell better, at least it will remove the risk of having to handle him!:laugh::laugh::waving:

Think Green
12-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Georgia,
This is a little off the wall, but yesterday at a large cleanup, I noticed some Zoysia sod that we installed late in the summer still hadn't rooted too well. The home was under some major exterior reconstruction and we weren't able to clean the leaves up in November as scheduled. As we were using the PB 755T's to blow the wet and dry leaves off the turf, the corners were blowing up just as you mentioned........??????
Just some food for thought!!!!!! I don't know!!

White Gardens
12-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Possible an Opossum too.

grassman177
12-26-2009, 12:44 AM
that sod should have rooted by now, what kind of crap prep was done to the soil before sodding it?? only one reason i can think of that sod would not have rooted by now, that the soil was packed and smooth

neckbone
12-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Armadillo without a doubt

Think Green
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Grassman,
Yes, you are correct! As mentioned, the homesite was under major reconstruction from the inside and out. Total facelift of interior and exterior! There was bare areas in the back lawn on a slope. Machinery was on the site and waiting for the opportune time to sod before fall was getting grim. The contractor's had issues that caused scheduling conflicts; thus the sod was pre-ordered and the zoysia had to be placed within 48 hours after cutting. I wasn't going to wait on anymore piss ant contractor cry-baby issues on why they can't get the outside done. They had 4 months to get things in order, not my issue. The customer had a time line to get the home done and the sod was placed. It turned green and was successfull, as some of the edges didn't seat in well because of the watering system was turned off for 2 months. A concrete reinforced wall had to be restructured and lines were cut. Did I mention valves crushed by bobcat weight.??
Anyway, the prep was less to be desireable, as we did what we could before the deadline was up. The customer is still with us as she knows the problems that were occuring,,,,,,,,,..........everyday!! What the machinery didn't compress.........constant walking didn't help either!!! LOL!!!!!!
I didn't want for us to highjack this thread, just a thought of the corners flipping up was due to unsuccessful sod attachment and blower power.!!
I am very familiar with sod placement and it isn't always in the scope of all customers to want a 3-4 inch organic layer or topsoil composition before the sod goes down and rolling. Our Bermuda's and Zoysia's all do well nontheless.................as long as it isn't on tundra soils. LOL!!! I will be honest enough to say that the site wasn't of the best soils either. Rocky, slopy, crappy soil composition. Oh Well!! All the money was spent on the house.......................the lawn can be re-done at a fraction of the cost of the house.

dave k
12-29-2009, 03:33 PM
armadillos if you ask me.